John Patterson 1861 will & other info.
PATTERSON, THOMPSON, ATWOOD, KEES, MUEHLENTHALER, HUNT, WOODWARD
Posted By: S. Ferrall - IAGenWeb volunteer
Date: 1/19/2014 at 03:47:18
Old Will Owned by Mrs. Muehlenthaler
A last will and testament, dividing up one of the largest estates in the early history of northeast Iowa, is owned by Mrs. R.W. Muehlenthaler of Elgin. It was made by her grandfather, John Patterson of Elkader, says a special in the Cedar Rapids Gazette.
The instrument was drawn at Elkader, Nov. 14, 1861, witnessed by B.T. Hunt and A. Woodward. Mr. Patterson died in 1875.
The will bequeathed to each of six sons, William, Wesley, Aaron, Samuel, John Jr. and Joseph, one quarter section of land, $100 and one horse; to a son, Ezra, he bequeathed 200 acres; to each of three daughters, Catherine Thompson, Sarah Atwood and Martha Kees, he bequeathed 120 acres. The rest of his property was to be divided equally among his children after the death of his wife, Jane Patterson, who died in 1890. The balance of the personal property at that time was paid in shares of $1,600 each to the ten children. This land was all in Clayton and Fayette counties.
The Patterson family came from Ohio and bought the land from the government, paying $1.25 an acre.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Patterson felt the need of a church in the community and on Oct. 16, 1879, formed a corporation known as the United Brethren church of Wagner township, Clayton County. The church is now owned by a farm bureau.
~Elgin Echo, April 11, 1935
Clayton Documents maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen