|F. W. WIELAND, M. D., who is engaged
in the practice of medicine and surgery, belongs to a profession
which exerts a powerful influence in a community, and is recognized
as one of the leading members of that profession. His life has been
well and worthily passed, and he is well worthy of representation in
the history of his adopted county.
The Doctor was born in Switzerland, on the 10th of March, 1856,
and is a son of Francis and Maria (Truog) Wieland, who were also
natives of Switzerland. The father died in that country, but the
mother is still living and now makes her home in Wisconsin. Dr.
Wieland spent the first seven years of his life in the land of his
birth, and then came with his mother to the New World. They landed
at New York and thence came direct to Dubuque, where our subject
entered the public schools. In 1866 he removed with his mother to
Grant County, Wis., where he further pursued his studies. He also
attended the public schools, and in order to earn a livelihood
worked on a farm. Saving his earnings, he determined to use his
wages in acquiring a better education, for he had a thirst for
knowledge which was yet unquenched. Accordingly, in 1878, he entered
the University of Wisconsin, in Madison,
where for three years he pursued the scientific course of study. He
was an apt scholar and there gained valuable information. On leaving
the school room he embarked in teaching, which he successfully
followed for three years.
On the expiration of that period Dr. Wieland took up the study of
medicine. He had spent much of his vacations and other leisure hours
in reading medicine and now began a systematic course of study in
the office of Dr. W. L. Duffin, of Guttenberg, Iowa, under whose
direction he continued his reading until 1885. In that year he
entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, and after a three years'
course was graduated in the Class of '88. During the following year
he remained in the dispensary of that college, and in 1889 he went
to Fremont, Waupaca County, Wis., where he opened an office and
engaged in general practice for one year.
The year 1891 witnessed the return of Dr. Wieland to Dubuque,
where he has since conducted a general practice with good success,
and from the public has received a large and lucrative patronage.
The Doctor is a member of the Dubuque Medical Society, and at
present holds the office of Vice-President. He is a member of the
Iowa Public Health Association, of which he is the Second
Vice-President, and in 1892 he was elected City Physician for one
year; to which office he was re-elected in the spring of 1894. He
votes with the Democratic party and keeps well informed on the
issues of the day, both political and otherwise. He was appointed in
February, 1894, a member of the Pension Board of this district.
Socially, he is connected with the Masonic fraternity. Both in
professional and social circles he is widely and favorably known,
and in this community the Doctor has many warm friends.