St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery History
Sugar Grove Twp. Section 34, Dallas County, Iowa
Click here to view submitted Gravestone Photographs for St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery.
Located north of Dallas Center on the black top.
The first Sacred Heart Catholic Church was dedicated in Dallas Center in 1880. The was a brick structure built on 10th Street between Cherry and Sycamore. It was the largest Catholic Church in the area at the time. Father O. J. Harney was the first Pastor. The building was condemned in 1900, due to faulty brick and mortar used in its construction.
In 1914 the church and parochial house was sold at public auction. The brick church was dismantled and the frame house was moved to the country. The Parish purchased the former Progressive Brethren Church building in 1914 and it was moved to the same location in east Dallas Center. This building was used about 35 years. It was dismantled in 1959.
St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery was laid out before 1887, containing 20 acres. The size was reduced and again it was reduced in 1954. The first time graves had to be moved in. At one time there was a moving of graves from Beaver Catholic to St. Mary's and buried in one common grave.
Velma Renfrow, circa 1970's
St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery Index
Dallas County Cemeteries *** Dallas County Home Page