SE corner of SE NE, Sec. 8 (south) Mendon twp.
GPS: -91.211000 42.972213
Researchers should be aware that Mendon twp. has several sections that repeat, and some sources show this cemetery in the north Section 8 of Mendon twp. rather than the correct location in south Section 8. The Clayton co. land transfer books show that Joseph Baylis was the original owner of land in SE NE sec 8 south 94-3, granting to Arthur Flexman 12/27/1876.
The cemetery has at least one existing gravestone. It is in a field off Kimberly Ave. (X-50) and near Sny Magill creek. The photo is marked showing the approximate location a few miles south & slightly west of McGregor.
|bef 1888||per Joseph's obit, his wife died before him, as did 2 of their children - see his obit for more information|
|Baylis, Henry||s/o Joseph & Ann|
|Baylis, Jennie||d/o Joseph & Ann|
|Baylis, Joseph H.||1835||08/06/1888||graduated from the London
Veterinary College (see advertisement below); Co. L 6th
IA Cav. (more info. in his entry on the Civil War Honor
His is the only existing gravestone in the cemetery. See additional info. in his obituary
-The 4 known burials are from WPA grave records.
-Census records & obituaries
-Historical & location description is from D. Matthew, Deputy County Assessor
-Birdseye photo is from Google maps
This advertisement appeared in the Weekly North Iowa Times, May 28, 1862:
Return to Cemetery Index