CASSIUS L. CAMPBELL, M.D.
CAMPBELL, Cassius L., M. D., was born in Plain Grove, Pennsylvania, August 22, 1856. His father, John M. Campbell,
was also born in Plain Grove, and lived there all of his life, dying at the age of 65. He was an active, enterprising farmer and stockman, and identified with every public enterprise designed to develop and benefit that section of the country. By industry and good business habits he accumulated a comfortable property. His wife was Lavina Lightner, daughter of Samuel Lightner. Her ancestors were originally from Switzerland, and their descendants came to Pennsylvania and were prosperous and highly respected citizens. On the father's side the ancestors were Scotch-Irish, who emigrated to western Pennsylvania. Cassius L. spent his boyhood on his father's farm, attending the public school in the winter and assisting at farm work during the summer. Later he attended the Plain Grove Academy, and also an academy at Grove City, where he prepared for college. He entered Westminster College, at New Wilmington, and there pursued a course that was directed towards preparing for the medical profession, which he had chosen as his life work After completing the course he secured a position in the office of Dr. James J. Wallace, one of the most prominent physicians of New Castle; afterwards he entered the Miami Medical College, at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he graduated in March, 1881. He took an intermediate course in Wooster Medical College, at Cleveland, Ohio. He first located for the practice of his profession at Brownsdale, Pennsylvania, but moved to Lewis, Cass county, Iowa, in January, 1883. In the fall of that year he entered into partnership with Dr. L. M. Andrews, which arrangement continued for two years, when Dr. Campbell began business for himself. He has been very successful in building up
a large practice, both as a physician and surgeon. Dr. Campbell was one of the public spirited citizens of Lewis, and was identified with all enterprises for the promotion of the best interests of the people and the town. Early in January, 1898, he removed to Atlantic, where he entered into partnership with Dr. F. W. Porterfield, one of the
best known physicians in western Iowa.
Dr. Campbell has been an active Republican, often serving as delegate to county, congressional and state conventions, but has never sought office. He is a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has twice been chosen a delegate to the Grand Lodge of the state. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, having held all positions in the lodge; is also a member of the Eastern Star, Royal Arch Masons, Knights Templars, and of Kaaba Temple, A. A. O. M. S., of Davenport.
From Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa Volume II, Leaders in Business, Politics and the Professions, Together with the Beginnings of a Western Commonwealth, by Benjamin Shambaugh. Des Moines: Conway & Shaw Publishers, 1899, pp. 190-191.