JAMES S. CULVER, a stock farmer of Polk township, was born September 16, 1857, in Urbana, Iowa; he is a son of Peyton B. and Sarah (Cagley) Culver. He was reared on a farm, and his father died when he was young, after which his mother moved to Wilmington, where he spent the rest of his childhood. At the age of seventeen he began working for himself, and later he rented land and worked at farming. In 1884 he married Jane Brody, and purchased eighty acres of land, where he began farming; he added land from time to time until at present he owns and operates three hundred and five acres in section 5, Polk township. He keeps standard horses and cattle. He bought one hundred and twenty acres of the farm of Robert Berry, his stepfather, and has since lived on this place, where he has been very successful. He is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of the blue lodge, chapter and commandery. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics is a Democrat.
Mr. Culver has three children, Dora, living at home; Bertha, wife of Guy Brown, and Verna, living at home.