Some Winneshiek County Historic and Interesting Sites
© Unless otherwise noted, all photos taken 2004-2006 by Connie Street
Bohemian National Cemetery
The land for this cemetery was donated in 1897 by Joseph Vopova. The people buried here came mostly from Bohemia and Moravia and were Freethinkers. There is a statue of Johann Hus, honoring the Bohemian religious reformer who was executed in 1415. Some of the gravesites are covered with beautiful mosaic blankets made with tiny colored stones (see photo at left).
Big Canoe Norwegian Methodist Church Site and Cemetery
Located about a mile south of Highlandville on County Road A26, east of the Big Canoe Lutheran Church and cemetery.
Martin Bouska Log School
This log school was built by Martin Bouska in 1853 about one mile east of Spillville. He was one of the first Czech schoolteachers in America. He taught in the left side of the log building and his family lived in the right side 1853-1866. Martin and wife Katrina were among the first 20 Czech settlers in the Spillville area. The building was restored in 1994 and moved to the Bily Brothers Clock Museum campus.
Dunning's Spring, a city park in Decorah, is the site of the first mill built in the county seat. A boulder near the stream marks the spot where William Painter built a grist mill in 1849. By 1861, E.C. Dunning owned the property and replaced the original mill. Usage changed through the years. The structure was torn down in 1897.
The Huber Cabin
This log cabin was once located on the Indian Agency at Old Mission. It was located about 1 mile south of its present location at the site of the St. Anthony of Padua church. The F.J. Huber family lived in it when they arrived in Winneshiek County ca 1849. The building had at one time been used as a post office and is considered one of the oldest buildings in Winneshiek County.
This frame board and batton barn has a dressed stone foundation with an enclosed ramp on the north elevation. The first owner of the property where the barn is located was Joren Brunvold from Nesbyen, Hallingdal, Norway. It is believed that he came to Winneshiek County in 1848. The barn is located on private property in Highlandville Twp.
Kinney Octagon Barn (National Register) (no photo)
This barn is one of 14 octagon barns, built in the 1800s, still known to exist on an Iowa farm. The non-self-supporting modified hip roof specifically characterizes it as a Coffin type, most likely influenced by the Webster County barn of Lorenzo S. Coffin. Other identifying features include heavy timber construction, rectangular plan and general-purpose function. Coffin, a stockbreeder and farm editor of the Fort Dodge Messenger, is credited with building the first round barn in Iowa in 1867. Octagon barns were uncommon and considered experimental in their day. The Kinney Barn is located on private property.
2299 Scenic River Road, Decorah (All-State Barn Tour)
The Hutchinson farm has been in the family for 100 years. The barn was built in 1929. The photo of the barn after restoration was taken by Michael McConnell.
3109 155th Street, Fort Atkinson (All-State Barn Tour)
Locust School (National Register)
St. Wenceslaus Church
Washington Prairie Lutheran Church
This view from the Washington Prairie Norwegian Methodist Church shows the Washington Prairie Lutheran Church a short distance away to the northeast.
The Washington Prairie Norwegian Methodist church, located on County Road W42, is surrounded on three sides by graves marking the lives of its members.
Washington Prairie Norwegian Methodist Church (National Register)
Please, contact the county coordinator to submit additions or corrections.
Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home * History Index
Copyright © IAGenWeb2008 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~ all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~