"SPRING CREEK TOWNSHIP"
Spring Creek comprises township 85 north, range 16 west. It is bounded on the north by Lincoln, on the west by Marshall county, on the south by Carlton township and on the ease by Crystal. The northern part is watered by Wolf creek and its tributaries. The main stream enters on section 6 and flows toward the southeast a short distance, when it forms the mill pond, which extends about three fourths of a mile in a southerly direction, on section 5. Then the stream is again resumed, and near the southern corner of the section makes confluence with another branch, which enters on section 7, and flows toward the northeast, passing through section 8, to that point. then as one stream it flows toward the southeast, through sections 9, 10 and 14, touching the southeast corner of section 11 and the southwest corner of 12, makes exit from 13, toward the east. The southern part is watered by Deer creek and its tributaries. The main stream enters on section 30, flows first toward the northeast nearly through 19, when it turns toward the south, passing through the northeast corner of 30, then through 29, the northeast corner of 32, and leaves from 33, toward the south. Other small creeks, which finally join Deer creek, have source in the southeastern part of the township, and flow toward the south. So the township is abundantly watered and drained.
The soil is invariably a dark loam, underlaid with a yellow clay, which, in certain localities, is good for brick making purposes. Along Deer creek on sections 29, 30 and 32, the surface is broken somewhat; but the balance of the township is made up of a rolling prairie. There is, however, a little natural timber located on sections 32 and 13; the former is called Union grove; the latter is on Wolf creek and is called Hull's grove.
The inhabitants of the township are mostly American, although there are many Germans, and a few English and Scotch people. Generally the settlers are well fixed and thrifty, and there are many fine farms.
The early settlement of this township was made under difficulties, and its early pioneers were men of pluck, courage and perseverance. The nearest mill was about sixty miles distant, and to make this journey with ox teams was no small undertaking, particularly in the winter, when the dim trail would often be covered with snow, and a driving storm add to the difficulty in keeping the right direction. These trips were among the hardships of the pioneer life.
The first settlement in this township was effected in the spring of 1863, by W. C. Bywater and L. S. Frederick, both from Maquoketa, Jackson county. They made the journey on foot, and selected land on section 32, after which they journeyed on to Dubuque for the purpose of entering the land. Then they returned to Maquoketa. In the fall they sent S. S. Chapman from that place for the purpose of building a home on their claim. He occupied the house when completed until the spring of 1854. On April 4, the owners of the claim moved out, and took up their abode in the cabin, built for them, and proceeded at once to improve their land.
W. C. Bywater was born in Maryland, his ancestors being English. His wife was Amanda Lowman, whose father served in the war of 1812, losing an arm at the battle of Fort McHenry, and who was Mayor of Baltimore for some time. Shortly after their marriage, W. C. Bywater moved to Zanesville, Ohio, where he worked at the cooper and tinner's trade. Three years later he moved to New Albany, Indiana, and worked upon a boat on the lower Mississippi as watchman, and afterwards as mate. In 1849, he moved to Iowa, and farmed in Cedar and Jackson counties until 1853, when he came to Spring Creek township, and entered land on section 32, which he improved and moved his family to in the spring of 1854. They have had four children, all of whom are living: A. Bywater, N. Bywater, Elizabeth Jane, wife of G. T. Ward, and Viola, wife A. T. King. In December, 1859, W. C. Bywater removed to Kansas, where he was killed in a saw mill. His widow now resides with her son, A. Bywater, in Gladbrook.
A. Bywater, son of W. C. Bywater, received his education in the public schools of Jackson and Tama counties, and was brought up on a farm. He has always, although in different places, devoted his attention to farming. He now resides in Gladbrook. November 2, 1865, he was married to Miss Alma A. Conway, daughter of James and Alvina (Fulk) Conway, and they have five children: Alberta Iowa, Ralph D., Nellie G., Corwin N. and a child.
In May, 1854, E. L. Kuns arrived and purchased of W. C. Bywater eight acres of land, on section 33, which he at once improved, building a log cabin and breaking some prairie.
During the same month W. L. Conant came into the township from Three Rivers, Michigan, and after making selection of land, walked to Dubuque, in company with L. S. Frederick, to make his entry.
This same season David Bowen came here from Maquoketa.
During the summer of the same season C. C. Canoles arrived and made selection on section 32.
Oscar Hill came from Maquoketa, arriving here in June, 1854, with his family and stopped for a short time with Fredericks and Bywater. In the fall he returned eastward.
This was all the arrivals in 1854.
The winter following is remembered as a very mild one. There was no snow on the ground during December and January. In the following spring, a little snow fell. The whole winter, however, was made up of weather resembling Indian summer.
About the first actual settler to come during the year 1855, was Stephen King, accompanied by his son, William B., and their families. They came from Erie county, New York, and landed in the township in October, settling at Union Grove, purchasing land of W. C. Bywater.
Joshua G. Hull came this year, and is still a resident of the township.
Mr. Fay, formerly form New York, but directly from Jones county, came to this township in the fall of 1855, bringing fifty head of cattle with him. He took land, remained a number of years, and afterwards died in Carlton township.
About the same time Charles Smith and sons, Wesley and William, from Ohio, came here and located on section 34. They erected a cabin and soon had things comfortable. About 1870 they returned to Ohio. The old gentleman, Charles Smith, died in Nebraska, William moved to Storm Lake, and Wesley also moved to some point in the western part of Iowa.
Mr. Harvey, from Davenport, settled on section 31 in the fall of 1855. He remained one year when he returned to his former home.
James Roakes and Charles Knapp, with families, came to Spring Creek township at about the same time, both settling at Union Grove. Knapp bought eight acres of L. S. Frederick on section 33, and Roakes purchased land in Carlton township.
In the fall of 1855, Orpheus King, brother of W. B. King, came to this county, living with his brother during that winter. Four families lived with W. B. King that winter, James Roakes, Orpheus King, Mr. Patchen and a German who was then a hired man. Orpheus King located on section 6, where he remained ten or twelve years and removed to Marshall and since to Dallas county, Iowa. Patchen put up a blacksmith shop, which he run for seventeen years, after which he returned to his native State -- Michigan.
In 1856, R. I. Jackson came from New York and settled on section 31. G. M. Finch came the same year, settling on section 27, where he remained seventeen years. In 1879 he removed to Phillips county, Kansas.
In July, 1856, William Merrill and family made their arrival and located at the headwaters of Deer creek, where he still lives. William Merrill is a native of Nottinghamshire, England, born in 1820, a son of George and Elizabeth (Wright) Merrill. He came to the United States in 1854, and settled in Will county, Illinois, where he remained for two years, and then came to Spring Creek township, Tama county, arriving in July, 1856. He entered 160 acres of land, which he has improved and added to, now owning 640 acres in the township. In 1843 he was married to Miss Mary Cook, daughter of John and Mary (Arrison) Cook, of England. By this union they have had seven children: Henry, Mary, now wife of John Allard; Anna, now wife of C. Geiseninger; Nelson, Susan, wife of H. T. Willard; Rosa and Irvin. One son, George, died when twenty-three years of age. Mr. Merrill is a member of the Protestant Methodist Church, and a member of the Marshall county grange. He is a Greenbacker, having voted with that party since 1876.
B. Sharp came from Vermont in 1856, locating on section
25. He was a son of John and Margaret (Patterson)
Sharp, born in Scotland, in 1826. His parents came
to America the same year, locating in Orleans county,
Vermont, and resided there until 1869, when they came to
Iowa locating in Spring Creek, where they lived till 1871,
when the mother died. The subject of this sketch
lived in Vermont until 1856, then spent two years in
traveling through the country, and finally came to Tama
county, settling in Spring Creek township. He has
added to his farm since then, and now owns 320 acres of
land where he lives. Mr. Sharp was married in March,
1860, to Miss Ann Warden, a daughter of Nathaniel and
Collista (Stacy) Warden, of New York State. They
have six children living: Lilly A., born December 25,
1860; Alda M., January 14, 1864; John Ira, September 13,
1866; Margaret, March 24, 1868; Mark, February 3, 1875;
and Gerald, born February 28, 1880. Mr. Sharp is a
staunch Republican, and has always voted with that party.
He is a man of thorough integrity and enjoys the
respect and confidence of his neighbors and fellow
For about ten years, there was but little settlement; during this time, however, William and Stephen Baker, located on section 21, where they still lived in 1883.
Willard came from New York, and settled on section 8,
where he resided in 1883. He was born in Cuba,
Allegany county, New York, in 1837, his parents being,
Ambrose P., and Mary O. (Wilcox) Willard. The father
died when H.G. was but three years old, and he was reared
by his grandparents, in Massachusetts, where he received
most of his education, and remained until sixteen years of
age, when he returned to New York. He was employed
for some time as news agent on the New York & Erie
railroad, and afterwards engaged in the livery business,
also lumbering, then taught school in Pennsylvania and New
York for some time before the war of the rebellion
commenced. He enlisted July 28, 1861, in Company C,
27th New York Infantry, but was discharged after serving
only a little over two months, on account of sickness.
In November, 1861, he came to Tama county, and
engaged in teaching in Crystal township. In the
spring of 1862, he entered a farm, under the Homestead
Act, on section 8, of Spring Creek township, where he has
since resided, now owning a fine farm of 200 acres.
His occupation has mainly been farming, though he has been
teaching some in his own and surrounding districts. Mr.
Willard has been a member of the Board of Supervisors, and
has held school and township offices, always trying to
prove himself an efficient officer. He is a member,
in good standing, of the Congregational Church, of
Gladbrook. Mr. Willard now votes with the Greenback
party, but his first vote for President was cast for
Stephen A. Douglas. He afterward supported
Republicanism, until the organization of the Greenback
Labor Party. He was married in the spring of 1863,
to Miss Theresa P. Swartout, daughter of David and Mary
Swartout, of Marshall county, this State. This union
was blessed with four children, three of whom are now
living: Hattie M., wife of G. Gillespy; Nellie O. and
Nelson. Mr. Willard was divorced from his first wife
in 1872, and was again married, to Miss Susan Merrill,
daughter of William and Mary (Cook) Merrill, in August,
1879. They have two children: Eva and Virgil.
Mrs. Willard was born in this township, April 12, 1857,
and was therefore among the first births. The first
election in the township at which Mr. Willard voted, was
in the fall of 1863, only seven votes were polled, of
which, five were cast by the Judges and Clerks. Only
two families lived in the north part of the township at
the time. The nearest railway markets were Ceder
Rapids and Waterloo. The Union Grove school was the
only one held in the township. Mr. Willard has lived to
see all these changes wrought.
During this decade, Lynch Horn, of New York, located on section 11, where he still owned a farm in 1883. Among others who came about that date, were Mr. Mussy from Illinois, who settled on section 28, remained two years, and sold to Mason Hess and returned to Illinois; The Hess Brothers, Mason L., G.W. Jr.; P.G. Clark, Daniel Clark and their father came from Ohio, locating on section 28. In 1883, G.W. Hess, Jr., was the only one among their number, who was a resident of the township. His brother Mason was killed in the railroad riot. David Mayfield came from Ohio, and settling on section 34, remained two years and returned to that State. The Bartholomews; Alfred and his father, came from Benton county, Iowa, and settled on section 32, where they built a store, remained three years and removed - Alfred going to Kansas, his father returning to Benton county.
In the spring of 1865, Barzilla Smith located on section 13 in Spring Creek township. He was born October 12, 1837, at Granger, Ohio; is a son of J.H. and Polly (Porter) Smith, the former a native of Vermont, the latter of New York. His father was an ordained minister of the Baptist Church, and lived on a farm in Medina county, Ohio, where he died in February, 1865. In the spring of 1880, the mother died, leaving seven children: Sarah Ann, wife of George Miller; Lewis D., Elvira L, formerly wife of Chester Baird, now widow of Jonathan Vallan; Arvilla, now Mrs. A.A. Giggen; Barzilla, Emily U., now wife of W. Cogswell, and Harvey J. Barzilla, the subject of this sketch, remained with his parents until reaching his majority, when he went to Trempeleau county, Wisconsin, and shortly afterwards to Tazewell county, Illinois. In the winter of 1860-61, he went to Ohio, and in the spring he started for the west, but before reaching his destination enlisted in the three months' service, afterwards in Company B, Seventeenth Illinois Infantry, for three years. He participated in the battles of Frederickstown, Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing and Vicksburg. At the latter place, on the 15th of July, he was discharged from the service, and in the fall of that year he moved to the Winnebago Reservation, Minnesota. In the spring of 1865, he came to Tama county, bought 160 acres of land as above stated, and now owns a fine farm of 300 acres which he rents, his residence being in Gladbrook. On the 17th day of August, 1864, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Jennie Dickson, a daughter of William and Annie (Beckwith) Dickson, of Tazewell county, Illinois. By this union there are three children living - Ella A., born June 25, 1868; Adda V., January 28, 1873; and Leaman D., September 11, 1874. Lewis D., a twin brother of Leaman D., died December 4, 1875.
Mr. Smith is a member of the present board of Supervisors of Tama county. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first vote for President for Abraham Lincoln in 1860.
In 1866, Robert Yeomans and his family came from Green Lake county, Wisconsin, and settled on section 14, and remained there until the town of Gladbrook was started, when he moved to that place and built a house. A sketch of his life appears in connection with the history of Gladbrook.
In 1866, S. S. Mann, and George B. Sharp settled in the township, the latter on section 17, where he remained until 1883, and removed to Sioux county. S. S. Mann was born in 1829, in Sussex county, New Jersey. His parents were Thomas and Catharine (Straight) Mann. In 1854 the family emigrated to Delaware county, Ohio, where the father still lives, having lost his wife in 1871. The subject of this sketch came to Spring Creek township, Tama county, in 1866, and settled on section 29, on land which he had entered in 1855. When he entered the land he had intended to at once begin farming it, but instead, went to Jackson county, this State, where he served two terms as Magistrate, and remained ten years, then, finally, in 1866, he came to his land and commenced making improvements. Mr. Mann is an ordained minister of the Christian Union Church; in politics, a Greenbacker or Anti-Monopolist, and has served as Justice of the Peace of Spring Creek township. He has also been Treasurer and Secretary of the School board for several terms. Mr. Mann was married in 1850, to Miss Sarah Allen, daughter of David and Sarah (Spencer) Allen. There are eleven children living as the fruits of this union: David Hartwell, Thomas E., Senator E., Lee Count, Shuah Milton, Marcus P., Noah F.M., Zorah, wife of Caspar Robinson; Catherine Alma, now Mrs. Rudson Sanford; Lilly Orabelle and Sarah N. Mrs Mann died in 1876. Mr. Mann was again married to Martha Allen, daughter of John and Sarah (Bolin) Allen. They have two children - De La Strait and Orlena A. In the spring of 1852, Mr. Mann started on a six months journey from Columbus, Ohio, with an ox team, across the plains to the golden lands of the Eldorado of the far west. He arrived at the mining camps at Nevada, on the south fork of Eula river, on the 6th of October, 1852. At that time it was a great undertaking, because of the long and tedious, besides dangerous journey. He returned in the winter of 1855, on steamers, by way of the Isthmus of Panama. While in the gold regions, Mr. Mann prospected in Oregon, California, New Mexico and Central America. Mr. Mann is a member of Toledo Lodge No. 118, A.F.& A.M. He has always been an ardent defender of the interests of labor, and in the fall of 1877, was nominated for State Representative by the National Greenback Convention, and endorsed by the Democratic party. And although running against nearly 1200 majority, reduced it to 300.
John G. Kieser came from Hocking county, Ohio, in 1866, settling on section 19, Spring Creek township. Mr. Kieser was born 1814, in Wurtemburg, Germany; his parents were John G. and Ursula Kuntzelmann) Kieser. The subject of this sketch came with his parents to the United States when he was a young man. They first settled in Morgan county, Ohio, remained there five years and removed to Hocking county, where the father died in 1850, his mother having been dead sixteen years. The family consisted of seven children: Catharine, wife of J.G. Geyer; Maria, wife of M. Long; Elizabeth, wife of J.F. Geyer; Christiana, afterward Mrs. J.G. Silber; Ricka B. wife of J.Schultheir and John G. who, in 1883, owned a farm of 160 acres in this township. He was a member of the Evangelical Association. In politics, he was a Democrat, holding the office of School Director for three successive years. He was married in 1837 to Barbara Stimer, daughter of Adam and Maria (Eckert) Stimer. They were blessed with seven children: Mary, wife of John Hooper; Frederick, Elizabeth, wife of J.Brown; Hannah, wife of M.M. Modlin; Henry, Daniel and John.
William Sharp wad born in Orleans county, Vermont, in 1838. His parents were John and Margaret (Patterson) Sharp, natives of Scotland. William lived in Vermont until 1867, when he came to Tama county, and settled on section 26, Spring Creek township, where he now owns 120 acres of land. In 1867, Mr. Sharp was married to Elizabeth Cuthbertson, daughter of John and Ann (Patterson) Cuthbertson. They have five children living: Rosa, Mary, Hugh, Anna and George. Mr. Sharp is a Republican in politics, and his first vote for President was cast for Lincoln in 1860.
Alvin Benson settled in this township in 1868. He was born July 8, 1809, in Rutland county, Vermont, his parents being Allen and Lorena (Brumley) Benson. The father died when the subject of this sketch was but one year old, leaving a widow and three children; Hulda, now wife of David Valentine; Elihu and Alvin. The latter remained with his mother until he was eleven years old, since which time he has been depending upon himself. He acquired a common school education, and at nineteen years of age learned the carpenter's trade, which occupation he followed for thirteen years. In 1832, he moved to New York State, where he lived until 1848, then removed to Wisconsin, and followed farming. Mr. Benson came to this county in 1868, settling on a farm on section 7, Spring Creek township, where he lived until 1882, then retired from active life and moved to Gladbrook, his present residence. In politics Mr. Benson is a Republican, and has affiliated with that party since its organization. He was married in 1835, to Miss Mary Dalforth, daughter of William and Mary Dalforth. They have five children: Laura Jane, wife of G.C. Wescott; George W., Charles A., Lovina M. and James W. Mr. Benson lost his first wife in 1854, and was again married, to Mrs. Diademe Miller, widow of John Miller. This union was blessed with one child - Walter E. His second wife died August 17, 1861, and in 1862, Mr. Benson was again married, to Mrs. Lorena Cole, widow of Luther Cole. Mr. Benson is a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
In 1868, Louis Gethmann settled on section 11, in Spring creek township. He was born in 1818, in Waldeck, Germany, his parents being Philip and Frederika (Budde) Gethmann. In 1854, Louis came to America and settled in Scott county, Iowa, where he followed farming for fourteen years, then sold his farm of eighty acres, came to tama county, where he now owns 180 acres of good land. Mr. Gethmann was married in 1845, to Maria Berend, daughter of Johann and Wilhelmina (Oxxe) Berend, natives of Prussia. By this union there are nine children living: John Louis, Henry W.C., Wilhelmina C.L., wife of P.H. Shultz; William C.L., John W.E., Charles C., Frederick L.C., Adolph F.L. and Mary C.W. The entire family are members of the Methodist Church of Gladbrook. Mr. Gethmann is a Republican in politics.
H.A. Pond came from Illinois in 1869, locating on section 17. He was a native of Vermont, born in 1817. His parents were Levi and Olive Pond. Mr. Pond resided in his native State until 1832, then moved to Knox county, Ohio, and engaged in farming, remaining until 1849, when he removed to Carroll county, Illinois. He followed faming in Illinois until he came to Tama county, locating in Spring Creek township, where he has since resided on his farm. Mr. Pond was married in 1842 to Miss Mary Ann Scott, daughter of John H. and Sarah (Hoffmeyer) Scott. By this union there are four children: Liddie J., wife of George White; George W., Edward B. and Fred G. Mrs. Pond died February 9, 1873, and Mr. Pond was again married in 1876, to Elizabeth Horning, a daughter of Henry and Hannah Horning.
Joachim Voege is a son of Peter and Trina (Wiese) Voege. He was born in Schleswig Holstein, Germany, in 1820, and came to the United States in 1852, locating first in Davenport, this State, where he resided until 1863. Mr. Voege then moved to cedar county where he followed farming for three years, and then returned to Scott county. In 1869, he came to Tama county, locating in Spring Creek township, on section 14, where he now owns 160 acres of land. Mr. Voege was married, in 1847, to Trina Stoltenberg, daughter of Claus and Abel (Sindt) Stoltenberg. They have two children: Peter, born May 22, 1848 and Alvena, born August 4, 1864. Peter Voege was married, November 6, 1880, to Trina Kock, daughter of Joachim and Ester (Klindt) Kock. They have one child, Amanda, born October 10, 1881.
F. Martens was born in Holstein, Germany, November 30, 1828, and is a son of Christian and Leonora (Davids) Martens. He came to the United States in 1858, settling in Philadelphia, where he followed his trade, that of a coppersmith. He went to Cuba in 1861, where he was also engaged at his trade on a plantation. He returned to the United States in 1865, and moved to Davenport, Iowa, where he resided until 1869, then came to Tama county, settling on section 14, Spring Creek township. He engaged in farming and now owns 160 acres of land. He is a member of the Masonic order, having become a member of Hermann Lodge No. 125, of Philadelphia, in 1858. He is now Township Trustee and School Director of his district. He was married, in 1864, to Anna Vierecke, daughter of Henry and Lena (Hoeck) Vierecke. They have had nine children: Mary D.E., born August 14, 1865; Clara A, born April 4, 1867; Harriet, born August 5, 1869; Helena, born September 10, 1871; Frederick E., born December 24, 1873; Martha, born July 17, 1876; George L., born May 26, 1878; John Garfield, born November 11, 1880; and Herman, born May 6, 1883. Mr. Martens was a Republican until the fall of 1882, since which time he has voted with the Democrats.
G.P. Allard located on section 21, in 1869. He is a son of John and Jane (Marston) Allard, born October 28, 1838, in Shefford county, Canada. His mother died in 1849. Mr. Allard followed farming in his native country until 1869, when he came to Tama county, where he purchased 160 acres of land. He still lives there, having a fine farm and a comfortable home. Mr. Allard was married, in 1860, to Miss Emily L. Berry, daughter of Freeman and Amanda (Lawrence) Berry. By this union there were two children: Orion J. and Willie G. Mrs. Allard died in 1872, and Mr. Allard again married to Melissa E. Taylor, daughter of W.W.and Sarah (Allard) Taylor. This marriage has been blessed with two children: Wallace Henry and Albert Everett. Mr. Allard is a member of the Church of the Restitution. He is a Republican in politics and his first vote for President was cast for R.B. Hayes. He has served his township as Assessor and his school district as Director.
Gerhard Pageler came to Spring Creek township, in 1869, and settled on section 19. He was a native of Oldenberg, Germany, and a son of Gerhard and Elizabeth (Muesegars) Pageler. He came to the United States with his parents in 1850 and settled in Ohio, where his father died about ten years ago, and where his mother is still residing. Gerhard came to Clayton county, Iowa, in 1855, where he worked at his trade of coopering until he came to Tama county. He bought 160 acres on section 19 and still lives upon that farm. Mr. Pageler was married, in 1863, to Mary Heiller, daughter of William and Sophia (Mueller) Heiller. They have five children living: Anna, Lizzie, Alvina, William and John.
Charles Haagen settled on section 36, in 1876. He was a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, born in 1833. He is a son of George and Emily (Knaus) Haagen. His father was a minister of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and died in 1880, leaving a family of four children: Emilie, wife of H. Stachli; Lottie, wife of A. Stachli; George and Charles. Charles received his education at the gymnasium of Stuttgart, and afterward continued his studies at the Agricultural Academy of Hohenheim. After leaving the academy he pursued the occupation of farming, being employed as overseer on a large farm. He came to the United States in 1856, and settled at Davenport, Iowa, where he was engaged in the grocery trade until 1876, then sold out and removed to Spring Creek township, Tama county, and engaged in farming, which he now continues on his fine farm of 550 acres, on section 36. Mr. Haagen enlisted in Company I, 12th Missouri Infantry, in 1861, and served about eighteen months, receiving his discharge at ST. Louis, Missouri. He was married, in 1866, to Miss Emilie Haerling, daughter of William and Frederika (Tauber) Haerling. Six children have been born to them: Gustav, Oscar, Ella, Alfred, Edward and Charles.
Samuel E. McAlevy was born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of William and Asemath (Sample) McAlevy. He remained in his native State until 1869, following farming, when he came to Grant township, Tama county, Iowa, where he polled the first vote in the township. In 1871, he moved to Crystal township, and in 1879, came to Spring Creek township, where he now resides. In 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Nancy Fleming, a daughter of William and Mary (McHolley) Fleming. By this union there are eight children: Asemant, James, Alexander, Luther, Jane, Elizabeth, Maud and Samuel.
Creek township was formerly included in an election
precinct, comprising, with itself, Lincoln and Carlton
townships. A petition was presented to the county
court in March, 1858, signed by W. Bowen and others
praying for a division of Carlton township and the
formation of a new township to be called Spring Creek
township, which was granted, and the first election was
held at Union Grove.
In 1883, the officers of Spring Creek township were as follows: Justices of the Peace, Robert Yeomans and E.E. Blakely; Clerk, James Ellwood; Trustees, Groddis Wescott, G.W. Hess and Fred Martens; Constables, C.F. McGee and Peter Kammerer; Assessor, William Pond.
The first birth in the township was a son to Mr. and Mrs Thompson Jukes in the fall of 1855. The child lived only about four months, when it died. This was the first death in the township.
The first religious service was held at the house of W.C. Bywater, in the summer of 1854, by Rev. C C. Levan, of Dubuque. L.S. Frederick was the first Class Leader.
The first postoffice was established in 1856 or 1857, and was kept at the house of W.B. King, who was the first postmaster.
The first school house was built on section 32, in 1856, and was called Union Grove school house. Miss Wiley was the first teacher.
The first burial ground was laid out on section 32, and was called Union Grove cemetery. The first burial here were the remains of Stephen King, who died in 1866.
This was a small village established about 1874 in the northern part of Spring Creek township, but afterward the business was moved to Gladbrook. Various branches of trade were there represented, including the Badger Hill Flouring Mill, erected by Wescott & Myers, in 1871. The mill was located on Wolf creek, run by water power, and furnished an excellent brand of flour. The mill also did an exchange business, enabling those living at a distance to visit the mill and return the same day.
One of the proprietors of this mill, D. G. Wescott, was a native of Onondaga county, New York, born in 1827. His parents were Samuel and Bethiah (Cuddeback) Wescott. The family moved to Wisconsin while it was yet a territory, and the parents resided there until 1872, then moved to Marshall county, this State. The father still resides in that county, having lost his wife in 1874. After receiving his education, D. G. Wescott engaged as millwright, and followed that business for several years, then came to Tama county, in 1864. He bought some land on sections 5 and 6, in Spring Creek township, and shortly after returned to Wisconsin, where he remained until 1869, then returned to this county and engaged in the construction of the present Badger Hill grist mill, being in partnership with J. H. Meyers. In the spring of 1870, Mr. Wescott was married to Mary Dibble Watson, a daughter of Elah and Clarrissa F. (Hollister) Dibble. They have been blessed with two children: DeWitt O., born July 21, 1871, and Mabel M., born January 30, 1873. Mr. and Mrs Wescott are members of the M. E. Church of Gladbrook. Mr. Wescott has been a Republican since 1856. He is a charter member of Olivett Lodge, U. D. A. F. and A. M. of Gladbrook.
This thrifty and enterprising place is located
on section 9, on Wolf creek, a branch of the Cedar
river. The location of Gladbrook is indeed fortunate,
surrounded as it is by some of the very finest agricultural
lands, including in its trade territory no waste or
unproductive swamp lands, while directly within reach is one
of the finest marble and stone quarries in the State, it
seems to have been the design of nature that this point
become a commercial center of much importance.
The town has exceptionally fine railroad facilities. The Toledo & Northwestern was constructed through here in the spring of 1880. The Wisconsin, Iowa & Nebraska, or as it is generally known, "The Diagonal," was built in the spring of 1883.
GROWTH AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT.
Gladbrook was platted by W.F. Johnston and
Leander Clark, of Toledo, about the 1st of May, 1880, on the
farm originally owned by Peter H. Schultz. The 15th of
May, 1880, was set for a public sale of lots. Early in
the morning of this day, a large number of anxious
purchasers, coming from many parts of the east, were upon
the grounds, all apparently anticipating the future
importance of the town, and almost clamorous in their
endeavors to get favorable locations. Lots sold very
rapidly, and in a few hours the sales amounted to several
thousand dollars. In the morning there was not to be
seen a piece of lumber upon the ground; but in the evening
the whole business plat was strewn with building material,
and the foundation of several business houses well under
way. Then for six months ensued a building boom almost
unparalleled in rapidity, in which about forty business
houses and twenty-five residences were erected. Since
that time the growth has been steady and sure. The
business portion of the town is spread over the northeast
slope of a beautiful elevation, within a short distance of
the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad depot, while the
depot of "The Diagonal" is a short distance west of
this. The residence portion inclines to the southeast
and southwest and makes a fine appearance.
The first building erected and completed was the dry goods store of R. F. Hodgin and the hardware store of Cameron & Penrose. It is now occupied by the Peterson Brothers. The first dwelling house was erected by George C. Ellwood, on East Hill, which he still occupies. The first store was opened by R. F. Hodgins, consisting of a stock of dry goods and clothing; he is still in the business.
About the first to open a general merchandise store were the Hess Brothers. About the same time the Shultz Brothers, Fedderson & Peters and J. A. Smith began business. In the spring of 1883, this line was represented by Fedderson Brothers, Schultz Brothers, Joseph Schichtl, Elmer & Co. and Peters & Schmidt, all carrying good stocks.
Peter H. Schultz, of the firm of Shultz Brothers, was born November 12, 1849, at Schleswig, Holstein, Germany, and is a son of Marx H and Magdalena (Unran) Shultz. His parents followed weaving in their native land until the spring of 1865, when they came to America and settled in Jackson county, Iowa. In 1871, they came to Tama county, and located in Spring Creek township. There were four sons: Henry, Peter H., Fred and August, all of whom were residents of Iowa in 1883. Peter H. received his early education in the public schools of his native land and lived with his parents until the fall of 1872, when, on the 10th of November, he was married to Miss Minnie Gethman, daughter of Lewis and Maria (Behrens) Gethmann, of this township. This union was blessed with four children: Henry F., born November 6, 1874; Frederick William, born June 3, 1879; Lydia H., born March 4, 1881; and Alma, born January 8, 1883. May 22, 1883, Mrs. Shultz died, mourned by a wide circle of sincere friends. Mr. Shultz continued farming on the northeast quarter of section 9, then owned by Lewis Gethmann, which place he purchased in 1876, and in 1878, purchased the southeast quarter of section 9. October 29, 1878, he sold his farm to W.F. Johnston and Leander Clark, who laid out the town of Gladbrook thereon. In the spring of 1880, Mr. Shultz engaged in the stock business at Garwin and followed this until June 1880, when he came to Gladbrook and erected the store building now occupied by himself and brother. For a time they kept a grocery and boot and shoe store, but, in the fall of 1881, added dry goods to their stock and now do a general merchandise business.
The firm of Fedderson Brothers, merchants at Gladbrook, consists of Paul L. and Julius T Fedderson. They are sons of Andrew and Emma (Nissen) Fedderson, all natives of Schleswig, Holstein, Germany. Julius T. came to the United States in search of a fortune in 1874, and was for a time engaged as clerk in a store at Charles City, this State. He here got his experience in running a mercantile business, which fitted him for his present position. Paul L. left his native land and came to this country in 1877. He got employment as clerk in a store at Dysart, this county, and remained there until the fall of 1880, when he removed to Gladbrook. In September, 1882, he and his brother Julius T., purchased the business of Fedderson & Peters, at Gladbrook, and are now doing a large business in general merchandise.
H. L. Marston, of the firm of Elmer & Co., was born on the 30th day of August, 1854, at Mount Morris, Illinois, and is a son of A. C. and Mary (Laurance) Marston. His father followed the carpenter trade until 1858, when the family came to Tama county and settled on section 27, in Spring Creek township, buying a farm of 160 acres which is now owned by O. F. Elmer and H. L. Marston. The subject of this sketch was educated at the Academy at Le Grand. In 1871, he engaged as an apprentice in the Badger Hill Flouring Mills, and followed milling until 1879, when he came to Gladbrook, this county, and in 1880 formed a partnership with O. F. Elmer to carry on a mercantile business. He is now a partner in the firm of O. F. Elmer & Co., dealers in general merchandise. Mr. Marston is a member of the Masonic Order. In March, 1880, he was married to Miss Emma Elmer, daughter of O. F. and D. V. (Muckler) Elmer. Mr. and Mrs. Marston have one daughter - Edna.
Mr. Marston's father-in-law and partner in business, O. F. Elmer, was born in 1828, in the State of Vermont, his parents being Orrin and Catherine (Lyford) Elmer. O. F. was educated at Peacham Academy, in Vermont, learned the carpenters trade and followed the business in his native State until 1859, when he came to this county. He first located in Toledo, where he worked at his trade until 1875, then opened a grocery store and conducted that business until in 1880, when he closed out, came to Gladbrook and commenced a general merchandise business in partnership with his son-in-law. He is now senior member of the firm of O. F Elmer & Co. Mr. Elmer is a member of the Masonic Order, and admitted from the lodge at Toledo, this county, to help organize a lodge at Gladbrook. His first vote for President was cast for Mr. Fremont, and he has voted the Republican ticket ever since. In 1861 he was married to Miss Ida V. Muckler, daughter of John Muckler, of Toledo, this county. They have one daughter--Emma, wife of H. L. Marston.
Henry Peters, of the firm of Peters & Schmidt, is a native of Lenden provinz Schleswig, Holstein, Germany, and a son of Claus and Andge (Dose) Peters. He was born on the 4th of August, 1846. His father and mother died in 1862. He received his education at his native town, and came to the United States in 1867, settling in Lyons, Clinton county, Iowa, where, after farming two years, he engaged in the lumber business in Carroll county, Iowa, until 1874, when he came to Tama county and was engaged as clerk in a grocery house at Traer until 1880, when he came to Gladbrook and opened a second store, forming a partnership with C. P. Fedderson, under the firm of Fedderson & Peters, carrying general merchandise. In 1882 he sold his interest in that firm and formed a partnership with H. L. Schmidt, under the firm of Peters & Schmidt, and they are now doing a prosperous business in the general merchandise line. In 1875 he was married to Emma Hoehl, daughter of Claus and Therese (Schultz) Hoehl. They have two children: Margaret M., born October 14, 1876 and Harry, born March 7, 1882. Mr. Peters owns his store building and lot. He is a member of the Traer Lodge, No. 301, I.O.O.F.
R. F. Hodgin, born on the 7th of July, 1856, in Washington county, Ohio, is a son of Thomas and Adeline (Arnold) Hodgin. His father was a tanner of Plymouth, Ohio, and followed this business at Chester Hill, Ohio, until 1874, when he died leaving four children: Sarah D., wife of W. S. Smith; Ferna Elizabeth, wife of Osborne Smith; F. L. and R. F. The last named, after finishing his schooling embarked in the sewing machine business, and in the fall of 1873, engaged in learning tailoring, which he followed until the spring of 1875, when he went into business for himself at Chester Hill, Ohio, and remained there until 1880. He then came to Gladbrook, built the first store, opened a dry goods and clothing establishment and is still engaged in the business. On the 29th of June, 1876, he was married to Miss Liddie J. Van Law, daughter of Thomas E. and Amy (Branson) Van Law, of Chester Hill, Ohio. By this union there was one son: Thomas B., born October, 14, 1877. In the spring of 1880, he joined the Mount Olive Lodge, No. 148, A. F. and A.M., of Ohio, and is a member of the I. L. of H. In politics he is a Republican.
The first to start in the grocery business, aside from general merchandise, were the Blodgett Brothers, in a little shanty in the rear of the present Blodgett store. This line is handled by nearly all of the general merchandise stores. Volney Blodgett was still in the business in 1883, carrying also a stock of boots and shoes.
The first dealer in confectionery was R.J. Christopher, who run a restaurant and boarding house in connection. The next to start a restaurant, was Richard Arnold, who in 1883, was yet in the business, and was expressman. J. W. Horn and Gus Broecher were also in this business, the latter carrying on a bakery.
The first hardware dealer was A. J. Riggs. The hardware men in 1883 were J.P. Fair and Peterson Brothers.
The first drug store was established by James Putman who is still in the business. The drug line had three representatives in 1883 - James Putman, H. Hutson and Schoel & Wiebenson.
J. M. Putman, druggist, is a son of James and Leathie (Darnell) Putman. He was born in Illinois, in 1851. when he was an infant both his parents died, and he was taken in charge by his grandfather, William Darnell, with whom he lived until sixteen years of age. He has since depended upon himself. He received a common school education, and was engaged in farming until 1877, when he entered into partnership with H. Tormahlen, carrying on a general drug business at Holland, Grundy county, Iowa. During this time he got his diploma as a pharmacist. He bought out the interest of his partner in 1879, and opened another drug business at Gladbrook, Tama county, Iowa, in the summer of 1880, and continued both stores for some time, but at present is engaged at Gladbrook in the drug, book and stationery business. He was married in 1881, to Miss H. Maud White, daughter of Julian and Hattie White. By this union there was one child - Maud M. Mr. Putman is a member of the Democratic party, and is a genial pleasant fellow.
August Schoel, a member of the drug firm of Schoel & Wiebenson, was born August 8, 1859, at Davenport, this State. His parents were Fred and Catherine (Hauschildt) Schoel. He received his education at the Davenport Business College, where he graduated in 1877, and engaged in the drug business. He studied chemistry at Rush Medical College, Chicago, and came to Gladbrook in 1880, where he formed a partnership with E. Wiebenson to carry on a drug, book and stationery business. In 1881, he again went to Chicago and took a course in the college of Pharmacy. Mr. Schoel was married in May, 1882, to Nellie C. Munson, daughter of Solomon and Liddie (Gotchell) Munson.
E. Wiebenson, junior member of the firm of Schoel & Wiebenson, druggists of Gladbrook, was born in 1859, in Holstein, Germany, his parents being James and Anna (Reimers) Wiebenson. Mr. Wiebenson came to the United States with his parents, in 1865, locating at Davenport, Iowa, where they lived until the death of the father, which occurred in 1873, when the mother returned with her children to her native land, remaining there until 1876. During this time he finished his education in the high school of Heide, Holstein. Upon his return to the United States he came to Tama county, locating in Traer, where he engaged in the drug business for four years, then went to Chicago, Illinois, to accept a position as prescription clerk in a drug store. He continued at this employment for a while, then took a course at the Rush Medical College, and in 1880, came to Gladbrook, this county, where he opened a drug, book and stationery store in partnership with A. Schoel. Mr. Wiebenson at present holds the office of School Treasurer of Gladbrook, also represents several Fire Insurance and Atlantic Steam Ship companies. He was a charter member of Olivette Lodge U. D., A. F. and A. M., in which body he is acting as Secretary.
Hugh Galloway was the first blacksmith to begin pounding the anvil in Gladbrook. There were, in 1883, four representatives of this trade here - J. S. Nott, J. H. Blanchard, Thomas Robinson and Leopold Weiland.
The first wagon shop was opened by J. S. Nott, who, in 1883, was still in the business. Thomas Robinson and Mr. Hurling also have shops.
Among the first dealers in agricultural implements were Coles & Powers. Allard, Ellwood & Berry, opened a large depot at about the same time, and were succeeded by McCornack Brothers. In 1883, Gus Reichman, lumber dealer, also handled agricultural implements.
The first lumber business established in Gladbrook was by George C. Ellwood and A. Allard, under the firm name of Allard & Ellwood. the firm afterward became Allard, Ellwood & Berry, and finally in December, 1882, sold to McCornack Brothers.
Gus Reichman established his lumber yard in the spring of 1880, handling lumber, coal, drain tile, wind mills, scales, etc. He deals square and has a large trade.
George C. Ellwood, a son of David S. and Rebecca (Mears) Ellwood, was born March 17, 1854, in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where his parents had been born and raised; their ancestors were natives of Wales, England. There were six children in the family: George C., James D., Anna Mary, Belle B., Martha M. and Rebecca G. George C. received his education at Delmont academy in Delmont, Pennsylvania, graduating in 1875, and afterward followed teaching in his native county till March, 1878, then moved with his brother, James D. to Henry county, Missouri, where he taught school, and later in Shelby county, Missouri. He came to Tama county, Iowa, in 1879, and pursued his former occupation about one year, then formed a partnership with A. Allard, and under the firm name of Allard & Ellwood, started the first lumber business in Gladbrook, which was afterward carried on under the firm name of Allard, Ellwood & Berry, till the firm sold to McCornack Brothers, on December 1, 1882. Mr. Ellwood was the first village Recorder elected after its organization, his term ending April 1, 1881. Mr. Ellwood is a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor. In politics he is a Republican, casting his first vote for President for Rutherford B. Hayes. He was married April 15, 1880, to Miss Emma J. Allard, a daughter of Joseph and Mary (Berry) Allard. They have been blessed with one son, born January 29, 1882.
Albert Allard, formerly a lumber dealer of Gladbrook, was born July 29, 1837, in Shefford county, Canada, and is a son of Jonathan and Isabella (Kruniston) Allard. His father was a son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Berry) Allard, natives of New Hampshire. His mother's parents were Joseph and Sarah (Hayes) Kruniston. Albert attended the district schools of his native county, and afterwards worked on his father's farm until 1860, when the family removed to Stephenson county, Illinois, where they lived on a farm until 1870, and then came to Tama county, locating on section 22, where Mr. Allard now owns a large and well improved farm, containing some 400 acres. In 1872, he was married to Miss Nancy Berry, a daughter of Freeman and Amanda (Lawrence) Berry, of Shefford county, Canada. Mrs. Allard lived but about five months after they were married. On the 31st of May, 1877, he was married to Miss Rhoda Berry, sister to his first wife. He pursued farming till in the fall of 1880, but having engaged in the umber business in March, 1880, rented his farm and removed to Gladbrook. In the fall of 1882, he and his partners G. C. Ellwood and S. W. Berry, dissolved and he retired from active business.
J. D. Ellwood was born in 1855, in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. His parents were David and Rebeca (Mears) Ellwood. J. D. received his education in his native State, and followed teaching in his native county until 1878, then went to Missouri, and there followed teaching for about two years. He then came to Gladbrook, Tama county, and has been engaged, to some extent, in teaching, but principally has devoted his attention to the lumber and implement business. Mr. Ellwood is a member of the German Reform Church, and also of the F. A. S. Fraternity, of Gladbrook. He is an Independent in politics, and is at present, Town Assessor.
S. W. Berry, formerly a lumber dealer in Gladbrook, is a son of Stephen and Mary (Smith) Berry, born April 24, 1839, in Canada. His father, a son of Samuel Berry, of New Hampshire, served in the war of 1812, and died in Spring Creek township, in 1861; his mother died June 9, 1879. The subject of this sketch resided in Canada until 1852, when he went to Ogle county, Illinois, and engaged in farming for nine years, then moved to Stephenson county, in the same State, where he remained until coming to Tama county, in 1870. He located on section 22 of Spring Creek township, and now owns 240 acres of land. In November, 1881, he rented his farm, came to Gladbrook and purchased an interest in the lumber business of Allard & Ellwood, later Allard, Ellwood & Berry, in which business he continued until in December, 1882, when he sold out and retired, residing at his cozy home in Gladbrook. My. Berry is a Republican in politics, casting his first vote for president Lincoln. He has held the office of Township Trustee for three terms. On the 10th of October, 1862, he was married to Miss Harriet Allard, daughter of Jonathan and Isabella (Kingston) Allard, of Canada. They have had eight children born to them: Mary Isabella, born December 19, 1863; Helen M., born November 8, 1865; Mattie J., born February 19, 1872; Myron I., born March 23, 1874; Hattie M., born March 8, 1876; Anna Viola, born November 24, 1877; George E., born October 19, 1879 and Harry Gordon, born November 10, 1881.
The first elevator in Gladbrook was erected by Coated & Powers, who in 1883, still conducted it. The second was erected by Bracken & Good ell, of Tama City. In 1883 it was run by WALL. McKenzie. A warehouse was erected at about the same time by Mr. Rogers, of Marshalltown. It was run for a time by AGO Farmington, but was vacant in 1883.
The first saloon was opened by John Clausen. There were seven saloons in Gladbrook in 1883.
The first millinery establishment was opened by Mrs. JOB. Roberts, who is still in the business. Mrs. C. C Thompson opened an establishment about the same time. The dealers in this line in 1883, were Mrs. J. B. Roberts, Mrs. C. C Thompson and Mrs. Charles Neally.
The first livery stable was opened soon after the town was started by McGee & Aplegate, of Toledo. In 1883, this stable was owned and operated by McGee & Emmerling.
Charles F. McGee, of the firm of McGee & Emmerling, was born at Hillsboro, New Hampshire, January 11, 1834. He removed with his parents to Ravena, Ohio, in 1856. From thence, in 1857, to Michigan, where he lived for two years, when he came to Tama county and located at Toledo. He followed the occupation of a farmer until the fall of 1862, when he enlisted in the war for three years, joining Company e, 24th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Leander Clark. He served his three years and was honorably discharged. On his return to Toledo, he engaged in the jewelry business for four years, then for six years was in the drug business, after which he became interested in the livery business and still follows that business. He remained in Toledo until June 13, 1880, when he moved to Gladbrook. In 1858, he married Anna Powell, daughter of Joseph Powell, of Carroll township. The have had but one child, Emma, who married Samuel McKennon.
Charles Emmerling was born in Philadelphia in 1853, and at the age of twenty-one years he came to Toledo, Iowa. He is a painter by trade, learning the art in Philadelphia. In 1880 he formed a partnership with c. F. McGee in the livery business in Gladbrook. Mr. Emmerling studied the diseases which horses are subject to as an adjunct to his business.
The first hotel was opened by R. J. Christopher. The next was the Stauffer House, which was erected in the fall of 1880, by I. Stauffer. It was still being run by him in 1883, and was the principal hotel in the city and among the best in the county.
Isaac Stauffer is a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and was born in 1831, his parents being Abraham D. and Mary (Newcomer) Stauffer. He was reared on a farm until he was twenty-one years of age, then took a course of two years at the Mount Pleasant college, Westmoreland county, and afterwards engaged in the mercantile business in that county, where he resided until 1880. He enlisted in Company B, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry (Home Guards), for a three months' service, and re-enlisted in March, 1864, in the Twenty-eight Infantry, Company B, serving until the close of the war. Mr. Stauffer is a Republican in politics, and has been a member of the United Brethren church for thirty years. In 1856, he was married to Miss Lavina S. Johnston, daughter of Uriah S. and Mary (Kiester) Johnston. They have eight children living: Mary E., wife of A. F. Walter; George M., Lydia K., Anna A., Olive L., Adda M., Jennie M., who died November 21, 1875, aged four years, and three months, Willie F. and Clyde Homer. Mr. Stauffer came to Gladbrook in 1880 and opened a hotel, which he still occupies, doing a good business.
The first photograph gallery was established by Dudley Peake, in 1880. He was succeeded by O. L. Yeomans, who, in turn, sold to J. E. Milner, who still conducted the business in 1883.
The first harness shop was established by Lon Arnold, who was succeeded by G. W. Hess. Mr. Hess sold to Charles French, who is yet in the trade. This line in 1883 was represented by Charles French and Gus Vogel.
The first shoemaker was Thompson Lund; he only remained a short time. F. Boemhke is at present in the business carrying a large stock of boots and shoes.
F. Boehmke, a son of Johann Matthias and Anna E. (Schaeff) Boehmke, all natives of Schleswig, Holstein, Germany, was born in 1848. He came to the United States in 1866 with his mother, his father having died in 1861. They settled in Davenport, Iowa, where he learned the shoemaker's trade which he followed at that place and Belle Plaine for some time. He then came to Gladbrook, where he is now engaged at his trade and also carrying a stock of ready-made boots and shoes. He was united in marriage, in February, 1877, to Miss Minnie Moeller, daughter of Fred and Catherine D. (Strohbein) Moeller. By this union there are two children living: Caroline and Louise. One child, Albert, died October 17, 1882, aged three years and nine months.
The first stock buyers were Mitchell & Co. They were succeeded by Smith & Griggs, who in 1883, still represented this line of business. Fred Schoel was also in this business for a short time.
The first furniture store was under the management of Mr. Snyder. Hans Ghiesen was also in this trade for a short time. The furniture dealer in 1883 was C. A. Smith.
C. A. Smith, son of C. H. and Liddie (McChesney) Smith, was born December 17, 1844, in New York State. He followed farming until August 1, 1864, when he enlisted in Company D., Fourth New York Artillery and served until the close of the war, participating in the battle of Five Forks and others. In 1865, he learned the carpenter and joiner's trade, and afterward took up cabinet making. Mr. Smith came to Gladbrook in June, 1880, and engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, which he still follows. In January, 1867, he was married to Julia Fenton, daughter of Calvin and Harriet (Burdick) Fenton. She died in February, 1870. Mr. Smith was again married in September, 1880, to Mrs. Cornelia Crawford, widow of John Crawford, of Shellsburg, Iowa, and daughter of Samuel and Mary (Lanning) Craft. In 1873, he united with Middleburg Lodge, No. 663, A. F. and A. M., of New York, from which body he dimited and is now Worthy Master of Olivette Lodge U. D., A. F. and A. M., of Gladbrook, Iowa.
Among the carpenters of Gladbrook, in the spring of 1883, were Hood & Sons, Belcher, Zimmerman, Henry Bliss and Hans Thiesen.
The Gladbrook Bank was established by H. J. and C. J. Stevens, in 1880. They were succeeded by M. M. Crookshank, who now does a general banking business. The bank building was erected by the Stevens Brothers.
H. J. Stevens, one of the founders of this bank, was a native of New York, born in 1833, and a son of John W. and Polly (Bailey) Stevens. He was educated in the Stanford and Harpersfield Academy, and engaged in teaching in the winter and followed carpentering in the summer. He remained in his native county until he was twenty-two years of age, then removed to Washington county, New York. From there he went to Green Bay, Wisconsin, remaining there until 1861, when he moved to Illinois, where he engaged in the banking business. In 1876, he came to Tama county, and in 1880, settled in Gladbrook. He is a Republican and is the present Treasurer of Gladbrook.
The first and only jewelry store started in Gladbrook, was by M. P. Wadley, who was yet in the business, in 1883.
The first tonsorial artist was John Heinrich, who erected a shop, and died shortly afterward of consumption. The barber of Gladbrook, in 1883, was George Green.
The first passenger train ran into Gladbrook June 14, 1880. David Ray was appointed as the first railway agent, and in 1883, was still acting in that capacity.
David Ray, station agent, is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born in Venango county, in 1842. His parents were John and Mary (Eakin) Ray, both natives of Pennsylvania. He received his education in the public schools of Iowa, to which State he came with his brother, in 1853, first living near Andrew, Jackson county, where he followed farming until the commencement of the Rebellion, when he enlisted in Company M, Second Iowa Cavalry, serving four years and one month. He was discharged at Selma, Alabama, in 1865. He took part in the battles of Corinth, Iuka and Nashville. After his return from the army, he came back to Iowa and went into the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad Company, in 1869. In 1883, he was station agent at Gladbrook, Iowa, on the Toledo and Northwestern Railway. In politics, he was a Republican. He belonged to the Congregational Church, and was also a member of the I. L. of H., I. M. B. S. of Toledo and I. O. O. F. He was married in 1864 to Miss Kate Printz, by whom he had two children: Herman and Percy.
The draymen of Gladbrook in the spring of 1883 were Peter Kammerer W. E. Benson, John Pray and George Myers.
This office was established on the 22d of June, 1880. Daniel Connell was appointed postmaster, and in 1883, was still retained in that capacity. His daughter, Miss Minnie Connell, was appointed deputy.
Daniel Connell, one of the pioneers of Tama county, and postmaster at Gladbrook, was born in Paisley, Scotland, December 3, 1824. In the summer of 1832, his parents emigrated to the States, settling in Norwich, Connecticut, where his father engaged in the carpet manufactory. The parents, brothers and sisters moved to Buckingham in this county, in 1852. The subject of this sketch came hither in October 1855. He was married in 1846, to Miss B. A. Guyant, of Groton, Connecticut. five children have blessed their union: Elizabeth, born May 8, 1848, wife of H. S. Wells of Humboldt, Iowa, land agent; Joseph, born February 28, 1850, a farmer in Jo Daviess county, Illinois; Ettie, born August 2, 1858, wife of E. H. Bissell, dentist, Independence, Iowa; Mattie, born August 22, 1860, wife of H. O. Beatty, editor of Tribune, Wahoo, Nebraska and Minnie, born June 18, 1964, now assistant postmaster, Gladbrook, Iowa. The first season he was employed as Deputy Treasurer and Recorder, of Tama county, and in July 1856, engaged in the mercantile business at Buckingham, continuing in the business until 1879. Mr. Connell was the first postmaster at Buckingham, from May 1860, until January 1, 1874, when the office was closed by the building of the new town of Traer. He held the office of Justice for seventeen years, and was a member of the Board of Supervisors of the county in 1863 and 1864. In 1880, he removed to Gladbrook, when he was appointed postmaster. Mr. Connell, at the present time, is also editor of the Toledo Chronicle, the leading Republican newspaper of Tama county. Mr. and Mrs. Connell are members of the Congregational Church, of which also, all their children are members. In politics, Mr. Connell was a Whig; was one of the first to unite with the Republican party, in the spring of 1854. For President, he voted for General Taylor, General Scott, General Fremont, Lincoln, Grant, Hayes and Garfield.
As Daniel Connell's father was a very prominent early settler, a personal sketch of him is subjoined:
Daniel Connell, Senior, was born in the parish of Lochwinoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland, June 16, 1796. In early life he removed to the adjoining town of Paisley, long noted for its shawl manufactures. In 1830, he removed to Edinburgh, and 1832, emigrated to the Untied States and settled in Norwich, Connecticut, and engaged in the manufacture of carpets, with the late Governor Buckingham of that State. In August, 1852, his sons, John and Joseph, having located on Wolf creek, near the present site of Traer, he came out to view the land and made an investment. In the spring of 1853, he, with his family removed hither and lived in Buckingham until he died, October 3, 1875, in the 80th year of his age.
Mr. Connell married in 1820, Mary Adam of Paisley, who died in Buckingham, in May, 1866, aged seventy years, having lived together forty-six years. They had nine children, three of whom died in infancy. John and Daniel, the eldest are still living in Tama county. Joseph died suddenly in Vinton, where he was in business, September 10, 1854, aged twenty-six years. Robert died in Buckingham, February 14, 1876, aged forty-six years. Margaret, wife of J. P. Good, a pioneer of the settlement, lived in Buckingham, and Mary, wife of John Zehrung, one of the first settlers of Toledo, now resides in Lincoln, Nebraska. Joseph and Robert are unmarried.
Mr. Connell was a remarkable man, a great reader, a pleasant conversationalist, interesting and profitable to listen to, his counsel was much sought from his great experience and practical business mind. At his death, his eulogist said: "A great man has fallen, his acquaintances mourn, like a shock fully ripe in the autumn of its season, so in the autumn of his century he is gathered to his kindred. On such a day (rainy) was Sir Robert Peel buried when the Canon of Westminister Abbey declared 'blessed is the dead on whom the rain of heaven falls.'" The friends of the deceased were blessed in his life, in his death and in his burial. An active useful life entails a peaceful regretted life."
Gladbrook was incorporated January 25, 1881. The first officers of the city were Mayor, J. H. Smith, who in a few weeks was succeeded by Richard Arnold; Recorder, G. C. Ellwood; Marshal, David Ray; Attorney, G. L. Wilbur; Assessor, Charles S. Nealy; Council, G. W. Hess, G. C. Ellwood, A. M. Coate, W. J. Cameron, J. M. Putman, A. O. Armington and C. A. Smith.
Municipal affairs have been well managed and officers well chosen.
In 1883, the officers of Gladbrook were Mayor, Robert Yeomans; Marshal, C. F. McGee; Recorder, Charles Davenport; Street Commissioner, A. W. Bucker; Assessor, James Ellwood; Council, G. W. Hess, A. M. Coate, Fred Schoel, Joseph Schichtl, John Mirtha and C. Stoelting; Treasurer, H. J. Stevens.
Robert Yeomans, Mayor and Justice of the Peace of Gladbrook, is a native of Connecticut, born in Farmington, March 31, 1826. He is a son of Gad and Emma (Andrus) Yeomans. Robert received his earlier education in the district school and completed it in a union school of the larger scholars of the different districts. At the age of 17 he went to learn the trade of a carpenter and joiner, which he followed until 1848. He then came west to Wisconsin and worked at his trade in connection with farming. In April, 1866, he came to this county and settled in Spring Creek township, where he now owns 240 acres of land. He lived on his land until 1881, then rented it and came to live in Gladbrook, where he now holds the office of Justice of the Peace. August 29, 1852, Mr. Yeomans was married to Sophrona Calkins, daughter of Daniel and Malinda (Button) Calkins. They have been blessed with three children: Emma, now wife of John Wesley Horne; Oscar L. and Ellen.
Christian Stoelting, one of Gladbrook's Councilmen, is a native of Lippe Delmold, Germany, born in 1824. He is a son of Heinrich H. and Maria (Lindhorst) Stoelting. His father was engaged in keeping a grocery and inn combined at Elbrinxen, in his native country. Christian received his education in the schools in Germany and learned the wagon-maker's trade, which he followed until 1854, with the exception of a short time which he spent in the military service. In that year he came to the United States, locating at Davenport, Scott county, Iowa, where he lived and followed his trade until 1882. He then came to Tama county and now resides at Gladbrook, owning a fine farm of 320 acres in Lincoln township. His farm is now rented. Mr. S. is a member of the United Brethren church, and is also a member of the A. O. U. W. fraternity. He is a Democrat in politics, and is at present one of the village Councilmen. Mr. Stoelting was married in 1861, to Augusta Haerling, a daughter of Wilhelm and Freiderika (Tauber) Haerling. They have three children living: Louise, born in 1862; Clara, born in 1864 and Alfred, born in 1876.
The first school house was built in the fall of 1881, and was known as the Graded Village School. The building was a two-story brick structure, situated upon a beautiful elevation in the south part of town. The school building cost $8,000. W. J. Dean was the first Principal and George Dick first teacher of the Intermediate department, with Mrs. W. J. Dean first in the Primary. In 1883, there were three departments - Grammar, Intermediate and Primary.
The first society to build in Gladbrook was the German Methodist Episcopal, in 1880. The next was the Methodist Episcopal, in 1882. Rev. Hoskins is the present pastor of this Church. In 1882 the United Brethren moved a church building here from Badger Hill.
The Congregationalists have an organization here, but no building. They hold services in the M. E. church. Each society has a Sunday school in connection.
The German Society of the M. E. Church, sent a missionary to Spring Creek township in September, 1870. Rev. Wm. Balcke was the first minister at Gladbrook Mission, then called Gethmann's settlement. The society had no members in the vicinity and were holding their services at the Koehli school house. The first conversion took place in May, 1872, Mrs. Mary C. Gethmann being the first converted member of th mission, followed in November, 1872, by Louis Gethmann, her husband, and Henry Gethmann, Christine Gethmann, Wm. Gethmann, Wilhelmine Gethmann, J. L. Gethmann, Carl Gethmann, John Gethmann, Wilhelmine Shultz, F. Gethmann, C. Koehli, Catherine Koehli, Johanna Rest, Carl Rest, Christine Mertens, William and Christine Kruse constituting the first members of the church.
Louis Gethmann was the first Class Leader and Mary C. Gethmann the first Superintendent of Sunday school.
The Mission has been served by the following ministers: Carl H. Lanenstein, Rev. H. Mertens, Jacob Schneider, Ph. Humnel, John Hauck and now by Rev. E. Draeger.
William Gethmann is the present Class Leader and P. H. Shultz, Superintendent of Sunday school. The Mission now owns two lots, a parsonage and a frame church 28x40 feet, which were both built in 1880-81. It has a membership of sixty-five, and an average attendance of fifty children at Sunday school.
The United Brethren of Iowa, organized a society in Spring Creek township, in 1866. The first membership consisted of E. S. Bunce and wife, John Pray and wife and Mr. Bear. The first minister preaching for this society was Rev. S. W. Kern who preached at Badger Hill. John Pray was the first Class Leader. The Sunday school was organized in 1866, with G. C. Wescott as its first Superintendent. The following ministers served this church up to 1883: J. H. Vandover, G. W. Renson, M. Falkomer, J. D. Barnard, J. P. Wilson, R. Laughlin and H. T. A. Miller.
A house of worship was built near Badger Hill mill in 1880, which was moved to Gladbrook in the fall of 1882. The society then numbered fifty, with a Sunday school of sixty-five.
the Congregational church of Gladbrook was organized about August 1, 1881, by Rev. Amos Jones, with seven members. Rev. Mr. Burton preached from February 1, 1881 until July of the same year. Following him came James Brewer. The officers of the church in 1883 were: J. Brewer, R. D. Holt, H. T. Willard, M. M. Crookshank and D. Connell, Trustees; D. Ray, Secretary; M. M. Crookshank, Treasurer. The Sabbath school was organized in the autumn of 1881 with D. Connell, Superintendent.
Rev. James Brewer, the present pastor, is a native of Massachusetts, a son of Jonas and Betsey (Miller) Brewer, and was born in 1821. He received his education in Williams College, where he graduated in 1842, and engaged in teaching in the Southern States, principally in Alabama, Missouri and Louisiana. In 1859 he was ordained a minister in the Congregational Church, of which he has always been a member, and has been in the service of that church as a minister in Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa. He came to Tama county in 1882, and bought a farm of 160 acres on section 6, near Gladbrook, Iowa, on which he resides, and is preaching in the Congregational church. He was married in 1847 to Miss Elizabeth Pratt, daughter of Elisha and Lurany (Robins) Pratt. By this union there were three children: Sarah C., wife of T. D. Christie; Addie L. and Orville.
Gladbrook V. A. S. Collegium, No. 104, was organized July 11, 1882, by G. L. Wilbur, P. K. Howard, W. H. Howard, J. S. Nutt, J. W. Thomas, J. E. Cole, E. W. Thomas, O. J. Wadley, M. L. Hess, George B. Emmerson, H. J. Stevens, W. F. Wirm and A. F. Walter. The first officers were: E. W. Thomas, Recorder; G. L. Wilbur, Secretary. In 1883, the order had a membership of twenty-six.
The Iowa Legion of Honor, Lodge No. 97, was organized November 26, 1880, by the following charter members: J. A. Riggs, G. L. Wilbur, Gus Reichman, G. B. Hess, A. T. King, C. W. Davenport, A. B. Arnold, A. Fedding, W. J. McFarland. A. O. Armington, J. B. Roberts, C. French, C. F. McGee, G. C. Ellwood and others.
Olivette Lodge, A. F. and A. M., was organized March 21, 1883, the dispensation for the occasion being granted by the Grand Lodge of Iowa, March 3, 1883, to C. A. Smith, G. L. Wilbur, R. Arnold, O. F. Elmer, E. Wiebenson, E. Wescott, D. G. Wescott, N. J. Brockman, R. F. Hodgin, H. C. Hemperly, C. A. Griffen and G. C. Emmerson. C. A. Smith was appointed as W. M.; G. L. Wilbur, S. W.; R. Arnold, J. W.; O. F. Elmer, Treasurer; E. Wiebenson, Secretary; E. Wescott, S. D.; D. G. Wescott, J. D.; N. J. Brockman, Tyler. The Lodge, in 1883, had already good prospects for growth in membership.
|Tama Co. Home Page||Table of Contents||Biography List||Portrait List||Certificates||Chapter XXXVIII|