HISTORY OF TAMA COUNTY IOWA

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

CHAPTER XXX

 

"INDIAN VILLAGE TOWNSHIP"


This is in the western tier of townships comprising Congressional township 83, range 16, west of the fifth principal meridian. It derived its name from the large number of Indians living in the vicinity, at, and before its organization. It is among the wealthiest townships of the county. The Iowa river enters on section 6 and flowing toward the southwest traverses sections 7, 8, 9, a part of 16 and 15, then 22, the southwest corner of 23, then 26, and makes exit on 25. Raven creek, having source in the south in Marshall county, flows toward the northeast, making confluence with the Iowa river on section 25. Sugar creek enters from the north on section 5, and empties into the river on section 9. Indian creek flows into the river at Montour; so the township is abundantly watered. Along these streams is found a bountiful supply of timber, although it has been diminished considerably since settlement began. However, in localities where the land has not been put under cultivation after clearing, a young growth springs up, matures rapidly and in a few years assumes proportions suitable for the many uses for which it is designed. The bluffs along the stream, through this township, contain an abundance of building stone of excellent quality, which is quarried to a considerable extent, and used for various purposes; it is called in market "Iowa Marble." The soil here is of the productive kind, consisting mainly, on the prairies, of a dark sandy loam, and on the timber lands, a clay mixed with decayed vegetable matter. The surface lies rolling, and in some places may be called hilly. Two railroads pass through this township, the Chicago & Northwestern, and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul. The former traversing the township from east to west, about the centre; the latter the southern part. There are three towns, Montour, Le Grand Station, Indiantown or Butlerville, within its boundaries, which receive due attention elsewhere.

It will be seen, therefore, that this township has many advantages; and, having within its borders an enterprising class of citizens, her continued prosperity seems assured.


EARLY SETTLEMENT.


Many interesting facts cluster around the first and early settlement of this township, which will vividly be brought to mind by the mere mention of those pioneer days. The difficulties attending the first settlement of this country cannot be realized, or the hardships and privations undergone estimated, by any comparison with the new settlement in the west of to-day. Now, lines of railroads traverse the lands, markets for agricultural products are at hand for the settler, buyers of grain and stock appear upon the scene, and ready money is alway at hand for any and everything for which a demand exists, and the so-called "pioneers" of the west to-day have comparatively an easy time.  Penetrating the forests and wilds of this country thirty years ago, making the tiresome journey with ox teams, settling remote from railroad or trading point, without society and with but little shelter, means almost hermitage, and all honor is due those brave men and women who so nobly, in years gone by, endured these things, and set in motion a series of events which have developed so rich and goodly a land; until Indian Village township stands forth to-day in all its beauty and development, with desirable homes and happy surroundings, well tilled farms and comfortable houses.

The first settler to cast his lot within the borders of this township, was Isaac Asher, who was born in Tennessee, in 1795. He left his native State and removed to Selby county, Indiana, where , in 1823, he married Miss Martha Greer, a native of South Carolina, born in 1806. In 1845, with his wife and family of nine children, he started for the western frontier, and on the last day of that year crossed the Mississippi river at Burlington. Here he remained about eighteen months, then again pushed westward, until he halted in Marshall county. Here, on the 13th of June, 1848, Elkanah Asher was born, the first white child born in that county. In November, 1849, Mr. Asher with his wife and six children left Marshall county and located on section 6, township 83 north, range `6 west, in what is now Indian Village township, and was thus one of the first settlers to permanently locate in Tama county. December 25, 1854, Mr. Asher moved to the west half of the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 8, Indian Village township, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1860. His widow yet lives on the old homestead.

Mr. Asher was attracted to Indian Village township by its wonderful beauty. This was, at that time, the hunting ground of the Indian, and nothing had heretofore occurred to interfere with his pursuit of game. The virgin soil was still undisturbed by the plow, and the wild Indian was naturally opposed to the advent of the white man, and at first they demanded that the Asher family return and not take possession of any claim in this vicinty, but after a time they were permitted to settle. This was the only settlement in the township until 1851, when Eli W.  Dailey, Anthony Bricker and John Dailey, with their families, settled on the west side of the river.

In the fall of this same year, William Taylor and Newell Blodgett came and settled near Indiantown.

In 1852, the settlement was increased by the addition of four families, Isaac Butler, J.H. Voorhies, Wm. Martin and Washington Abbott. 


The latter settled on section 20. Here he lived on a farm until his death, which took place in 1866. Mr. Abbott was born in Ohio, and there married Miss Mary Cruthers. In 1842, he removed to Miami county, Indiana, and from thence to Iowa, in 1844, settling in Tama county, in 1852. While living in Indiana, he had an attack of fever, which settled in one of his limbs and caused him to be a cripple for life. His wife died in 1880. They had seven children, four of whom are now living--John, Rachel, Benjamin and Solomon.

John Abbott, son of Washington and Mary Abbott, was born in Licking county, Ohio, in 1835. He came to this county with his parents in 1852, and in 1861, was married to Miss Jane Warner, daughter of John and Christina Warner. Out of a family of nine children there are but six living--George W., Allan C., Ellen M., Maggie M., Esther M. and Ida W. Mr. Abbott now owns 214 acres of land.

In June of 1853, came five families, consisting of twenty-eight persons: Allen Dingee, with his wife and six children; James Cronk, wife and six children; William Cronk and wife; Wilson Voorhies, wife and four children; and Robert Voorhies, wife and two children. They had just completed their journey from Morrow county, Ohio, having made it with seven two-horse teams and occupied thirty-two days. The party first halted at the residence of Hampton Voorhies, a rude building 14x16 feet. There Allen Dingee and family, Wilson Voorhies and family, and Robert Voorhies and family stopped for about two months, and as Hampton Voorshis family numbered six, it made twenty-two persons living in a house 16x14 feet. This would seem at this day an impossibility, when two families can hardly live in a good two-story building, but this band of pioneers lived thus harmoniously, and soon each had a cabin of his own. These very circumstances and necessities seemed to unite them more closely together. They all located in the same neighborhood and all who had reached maturity had united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Thus they lived in peace and rejoiced in each other's prosperity. Their nearest trading point and grist mill was at Iowa City, a distance of seventy-one miles. Their postoffice and black-smith shop was Marengo, forty-two miles distant. At the present time one would hardly think any progress could be made under such circumstances, yet the rich fields and cultivated farms which now surround this people are the result of such toil and privation.

J.G. Cronk came in 1853, and in 1860, settled on a part of his present farm. Mr. Cronk has been the architect of his own fortune and his present prosperity shows him to be a successful worker and manager. He was born in Binghamton, Brome county, New York, December 22, 1833, his parents being John and Sarah (Lane) Cronk. He was left fatherless when only seven years of age and one year later bade his mother good-bye, and with his uncle, Samuel Cronk, emigrated to Ohio, where he tilled the soil until 1856. During this time, about 1853, he made a short visit to his native town to visit his mother. In 1856, he came to Iowa, and being unable to start in business for himself, he entered the employ of Myron Blodgett, who owned the farm which has since given site for the village of Montour. But Mr. Cronk was not the man to remain in the employ of others. He desired to strike out for himself. He therefore, in 1860, married Miss Susan Butler, daughter of Isaac, and at once engaged in farming. He now owns 800 acres of choice land and is extensively engaged in stock-farming. From 1878 to 1882, he dealt in grain and live stock, being a member of the firm of Butler & Cronk. His mother now resides at Sycamore, Illinois, and as he frequently goes to Chicago with live stock, his visits with her are more frequent than in former years. Mr. Cronk is a man who attends strictly to business and therefore makes life a success. He is a member of Polar star Lodge, A.F. and A.M., at Montour, the Chapter at Tama City and Commandery No. 14, at Belle Plaine. In politics he is a Republican. He has four children: Della, now the wife of W.H. Black, Edward, Wilber and Nelson.

Allen Dingee settled on section 18, Indian Village township, in 1853, as stated. Mr. Dingee was boen in Westchester county, New York, September 19, 1806. His father, Stephen Dingee, was also born in that State. His mother, Betsy (Marvin) Dingee, was a native of Connecticut.  Allen Dingee was reared on a farm, and on the 9th of December, 1829, married Miss Elizabeth Penny, a native of Putnam county, New York, born February 14, 1808. In 1841, they emigrated to Ohio and settled in what is now Morrow county. In 1853, Mr. Dingee concluded to go farther west and he therefore joined the party spoken of in another place and came to Iowa, and soon located on the northwest quarter of section 19, Indian Village township, where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Dingee have had seven children, one of whom died in infancy. Two died after marriage, one being the wife of Martin Slate and one the wife of C.J. Stevens. The four children living are: Chelista, now Mrs. George Voorhies, Alfred, Emma, now Mrs. A.C. Baxter, and Ettie, now Mrs. T.P. Smith. Mr. Dingee is Republican in politics and has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1824. He is ever ready to show his hospitality to all persons and especially to ministers of the Gospel, of whom he has entertained over eighty since his residence in the county. Of those, fifty-six were regular Methodist Episcopal pastors, ten presiding elders and the others were local. preachers of the Methodist Episcopal, Congregational, United Brethren and Lutheran denominations.

During the next year, 1854, emigration increased steadily. Every new face was welcomed with hearty good-will. Willing hands from far and near assisted in erecting the log cabins. The fortunate possessor of an extra bag of meal divided among his neighbors, and that true, genuine feeling of generosity prevailed. Envy and Strife, hatred and jealousy, so prevalent during these later days, were unknown to them, which fact enabled them to endure the hardships of that day more easily. Bound together by one true sympathetic chord, they traveled on the journey of life, and those who have not gone hence are now in the enjoyment of a competence, surrounded by the beautiful country their own hands have wrought out.

Prominent among the settlers of 1854, were James Magee and his two sons, Robert and James L., T.D.H. Wilcoxon and James M. Bradley.

James Magee settled on section 26, and lived there until his death. Mr. Magee was a native of Ireland, and came with his parents to the United States in 1819, at which time he was twelve years of age. The family settled in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and here Mr. Magee was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Leech, a native of that State. James subsequently came to Ohio, and in 1853, came still farther west, to Iowa, and located land on section 26, Indian Village township, then returned to Ohio, and in November, 1854, he removed his family to their new home, where he remained until his death, which took place in 1858. His wife still lives on the old homestead. Mr. Magee left a family of four children: Elizabeth, now the wife of Isaac Arment, Robert, James L. and Mary, now Mrs. Charles E. Alden.

Robert Magee, son of James and Nancy Magee, was born in Ohio, January 6, 1835. He came with his parents to Tama county in 1854, and has since devoted his time to farming. His marriage with Miss Manora Chase, daughter of Stephen Chase, took place on the 4th of April, 1867, and they now have four children: Lottie, Anna, Jennie and Katie. Mr. Magee is, and has always been, a Democrat.

Stephen Chase, his father-in-law, is a native of New York, was born January 14, 1818. He went to Illinois at an early day, and when but a young man, commenced trading with the Indians of Iowa. In 1853, he settled in Tama county, and resided here until 1870, when he removed to Pottawattamie county, where he now lives. His wife was Miss Olive Conner. They have had nine children, only one of whom is not living. Mrs. Robert Magee, now a resident of this county.

James L. Magee was born in Ohio, January 7, 1837. He came with his parents to Tama county, in November, 1854, and has since made farming his business. He now has about 500 acres of land, and is engaged quite extensively in stock raising. Politically, he is a democrat, but takes no more interest in politics that merely to attend the elections and cast his ballot. In 1873, he married Miss Sarah Gibbon, then of Tama county, but a native of Ohio, and they now have four children, three sons and one daughter.

Another of the early pioneers who has figured conspicuously in the history of this county is T.D.H. Wilcoxon. He made his first visit to Tama county in the spring on 1854, at which time he entered a large tract of land, and then returned to Illinois to get his family. In the month of June, of said year, he came back to Iowa and settled at Indiantown. Here he commenced burning lime taken from a quarry which he had opened. He soon built the first patent lime kiln in Indiantown, continuing in this business for several years. During this time he also carried on a general stone. Of late years he has directed his attention mostly to his stone quarries, of which mention is made in another part of this work. Mr. Wilcoxon was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, June 26, 1826. His father, George D.H. Wilcoxon, was a native of South Corolina, and his mother, Ann (Hopkinson) Wilcoxon, of Virginia. In 1835, the family emigrated to Ogle county, Illinois. Here the subject of this sketch followed farming until he came to Iowa, in 1854. On the 22d of February, 1852, Mr. Wilcoxon was married to Miss Betsy A. Torry, then of Buffalo Grove, Illinois, but a native of Erie county, Pennsylvania. She died October 11, 1872, leaving six children: Herbert, Alice M., Lillie D., Charles D., Carrie B. and Eddie G. Mr. Wilcoxon is a courteous and genial gentleman, and has many friends. He is a Republican in politics and has held several local offices. He was a charter member of Polar Star Lodge, A.F. and A.M.

James M. Bradley came to the county in June, 1854, and after paying the necessary fee for entering the southeast quarter of section 32, Indian Village township, he found his cash reduced to $12. He soon erected a log cabin, which, although a rude structure, was highly prised by his wife because it was nearly all built by himself. As soon as they became nicely situated in their cabin, Mr. Bradley commenced making improvements about his new home, and in a few years his home and farm presented quite a different appearance. In 1868, he sold his farm and removed to another; but nine years subsequently he was obliged to take back his first far. He then erected a new residence and made various other improvements and continued to till the soil until 1883, when as he found himself advancing into old age, he sold out and is now living a retired life. Mr. Bradley was born in New Haven county, Connecticut, November 30, 1813. He emigrated to Illinois in 1838, and there in 1852 married Miss Lucy Helm, sister of Phineas Helm. She died in 1856. In June 1860, he married Miss Elizabeth Humphrey, and by this union five children have been born, four of whom are now living: James M., Chester A., Walter A. and Bessie Belle.

Mr. Bradley was one of the founders of the Congregational Church at Butlerville and is now a member at Montour. He has never associated himself with any other society. Politically he is a Republican and has held various local offices. He is honest and upright in all his transactions with his fellow men, and is accordingly highly respected.

Josiah Paxson came to this county in April, 1866, and settled on section 19, Indian Village township, where he now resides. He is a native of Colmbianna county, Ohio, born April 30, 1837. His father, Joseph Paxson, was born on the 10th of August, 1804, and is a native of Loudoun county, Virginia. He received but few months schooling; but he was a man of strong will, and while pursuing his trade, as blacksmith, he was often found reading the Bible. thus by constant application, he soon became well acquainted with the Holy Scriptures. He was ordained a minister in the United Brethren Church, and served in that capacity for fifty-five years, when he was superannuated. He now resides in Columbianna county, Ohio. His wife died in February, 1878, leaving five children; Jessie, Hannah, John N., Josiah and Mary Jane. Josiah Paxson was reared on a farm, received a good common school education, and for some time was engaged in teaching. March 12, 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca Hayes, daughter of William Hayes, one of the early pioneers of Marshall county. She was left motherless when only five years of age and was reared by her aunt, Sarah Heald, who also came to Iowa with Mr. Paxson and is now a member of thefamily. Mr. Paxson is an earnest Christian, having been a member of the M.E. Church, and an active worker in the Sabbath school for over fifteen years. He is a Republican in politics and is in hearty sympathy with the cause of temperance. He has six children: William, John, Addison, Sadie, Fred and Charles.

L.J. Dixon came to Indian Village township and located in Montour in 1879. Mr. Dixon is a native of Ohio, and was born in Delaware county, on the 17th of April, 1835. His father, Archibald Dixon was born in Vermont, and his mother, Lois (Ingham) Dixon, in Utica, New York. L.J., when twelve years of age removed with his parents to DeKalb county, Illinois, where he helped till the soil until twenty years old. The family then moved to Iowa and settled in Black Hawk county, where the parents both died, in November, 1873. In 1854, Mr. Dixon was married to Miss Malinda Winsett, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Winsett, and pursued farming in said county until 1879, since which date he has been a resident of Montour. They had four children: Alice, Olive, George L., and Lettie.


ORGANIC.


This township was first organized in 1852, comprising what is now Highland, Indian Village, Carlton, Spring Creek and Lincoln, or a strip of six miles by thirty, on the west side of the county. The first election was held at the house of E.W. Dailey, on the first Monday in August, 1852, at which time, William Taylor, E.W. Dailey and L. Appelgate were elected Trustees. Other changes of boundary lines have been made, which may be found in the chapter on County Government, until it assumed its present boundaries in 1855, and the following officers were elected: J. H. Voorhies and William Taylor, Trustees; Allen Dingee, Clerk.

 

The following are the officers for 1882: A. B. Toplin, A. B. Gage and J. M. Mills, Trustees: C. A. Stevens, Clerk; G. W. Paxton, Assessor; 1883 - A. B. Gage, A. B. Toplin and J. M. Mills, Trustees; R. E. Everett, Clerk; George W. Paxton, Assessor.

 

HISTORICAL ITEMS

 

The first marriage of residents of this township was that of Miss ANNA ASHER, daughter of Isaac Asher, to SAMUEL DAVIDSON, of Marshall county. The ceremony was performed by Esq. Furguson, and took place at the home of Mr. Davidson, on the 18th of July, 1850.

 

The first death was that of MARIA BLODGETT, in 1853.  The first birth was MARY M. BLODGETT, March 4, 1853.

 

The first marriage in the township was that of MYRON BLODGETT and SARAH CRONK, The ceremony was performed by Judge J. C. Vermilya on the 14th of August, 1853. They now reside in Dakota.

 

The first school was taught by CHAUNCY J. STEVENS during the spring of 1856, in a small building erected for that purpose in Indiantown. He taught a term of three months at a salary of $35 per month. There were about sixty pupils enrolled during the term. The following residents of the county were numbered among the pupils: Mrs. J. G. CRONK, Mrs. J. D. HAYWOOD, Mrs. T. P. SMITH and E. B. ASHER.

 

The first sawmill in the township was erected at Indiantown, in 1855. It was propelled by steam power and was owned by JONAS DUNHAM and JOSEPH JACK, but was first operated by P. M. FISK and WOODHULL HELM. It was subsequently run by various parties and finally sold to GEORGE KNOX and A. C. TENNY, when it was moved across the river to section 9, where it still remains.

 

The first religious service held in the township and probably the county was in 1852, when REV. SOLOMON DUNTON, of Iowa City, established a Methodist Episcopal Mission at the hose of WASHINGTON ABBOTT.

 

The first orchard in Tama county was set out at Indiantown in the spring of 1852, by WM. TAYLOR. It contained about sixty apple, some cherry and other fruit trees. The trees lived to bear fruit, but as they were neglected they have since died.

 

Mr. TAYLOR is a native of Ohio. He emigrated with his parents to Illinois, where he married Miss Betsy Chase, then came to Iowa, and in May, 1851, became one of the pioneers of Indiantown. Here he purchased some land and engaged in farming. When Indiantown became in need of a hotel, he formed a partnership with E. B. COFFIN, and erected a large building, but the cost was so great that he became financially embarrassed, and has never regained his footing. His wife died in the fall of 1880. She reared a family of fourteen children, nine of whom are now living. Mr. Taylor still resides in Indiantown, but usually spends the winter season on the frontier in hunting and trapping, which sport he has always admired.

 

EDUCATIONAL.
 

As elsewhere stated, the first school in the township was held during the spring of 1856, in Indiantown, the teacher being Chauncy J. Stevens.  Educational facilities have kept pace with the settlement and improvement here, and there are now seven sub-districts in the township, and Montour independent district, with eight school houses, all in good repair.


CEMETERIES.


The first cemetery platted out in the township was on section 17, adjacent to Indiantown, and is still being used for burial purposes. Some years later there were bodies interred on section 8, some of which still remain, and some have been removed to other places.

The Montour cemetery is located on section 27. It is nicely situated, and is kept in good shape.


INDIANTOWN, OR BUTLERVILLE.
 

Wm. Taylor located on the south half of the northeast quarter of section 17, in what is now Indian Village township, in 1851. He sold, in 1853, to Isaac Butler, who at once laid out a portion of the land into town lots and called it Butlerville. Eli W. Dailey joined him on the north , and he also laid out some lots and called his addition Indiantown. N.J. Blodgett subsequently added an addition to Butlerville which was called Pleasant Hill. the village of Indiantown was well located, having good water power and the finest stone quarries in the State. However, it made but a slow growth, and after the completion of the Northwestern railroad, the business was removed to Montour. At present, a postoffice, a small store, a blacksmith shop and several dwellings, mark the spot where the pioneers of that section once expected to see a flourishing town.

In the spring of 1854, the people succeeded in having a post office established here, under the name of Indiantown, and Isaac Butler was appointed first postmaster. He was succeeded by John Moore, and in July, 1856, the name of the office was change to Butlerville. Mr. Moore served as postmaster until his death, in 1859, when E. Ruggles was appointed. he was succeeded by Hampton Voorhies, and since then Geo. H. Gamon, David Doty, C.D. Torrey, G.W. DeLong and others, have filled the office Mail is now received daily from Montour.

Gibson W. DeLong, the present postmaster of Butlerville, was born in Otsego county, New York, May 1843, his parents being A.C and Mary (Wilson)DeLong. He received a common school education, and in the fall of 1862 enlisted in Company F, 121st New York volunteer Infantry, and served until 1863, when he was discharged on account of physical disability. He subsequently re-enlisted in Company D, 3d New York Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. After being mustered out of service he clerked in a wholesale house in New York city for one year, and in 1867, came to Iowa, and settled where he now resides. he now owns over 200 acres of land, has a dairy of thirty cows, and manufactures a large quantity of creamery butter. Mr. DeLong is a Republican in politics, has held several local offices, and since 1877, has been postmaster at Butlerville. He was married February 24th, 1867, to Miss Mary F. Hendry, a native of Delaware county, New York, and they now have five children:--Arthur, Kittie, Charley,Mary and Eliza.

 

The first hotel was erected by Phineas Helm, in 1854. He furnished food for the hungry and rest for the weary, for a short time, when the hotel changed hands. The building was used for hotel purposes for some time afterward.

 

The second hotel was erected by William Taylor and Ebenezer Coffin, in the fall of 1856, and was a building of good dimensions and design. It was subsequently removed to Montour, where it was known as the American House and used for hotel purposes until destroyed by fire in 1870.

 

The first physician of Butlerville, was E.N. Whipple, who located there in the fall of 1855, and practiced in that vicinity until about 1860. Dr. Crenshaw, a young man, was located here in 1857 and 1858. In 1859, Dr. J.H. Stevens came to this place and prescribed for the sick until 1862, when he entered the United States service. About the same time Dr. Crenshaw came and also Dr. Shugart, who practiced for some time, but is now in California.

 

Dr. John Doe, also practiced medicine and was engaged in mercantile pursuits for a number of years. He is now living in Texas.

 

In the fall of 1856, Dr. E.N. Whipple and B.W. Fellows formed a partnership and opened a drug store in Indiantown. Mr. Fellows withdrew from the business in about 1859, and Dr. Whipple soon afterward sold to J.H. Stevens.

 

The first blacksmith to locate at Indiantown was William Eby, who opened a shop in 1854 or 1855.

 

In 1855, P.M. Fisk and Woodhull Helm erected a saw-mill, then associated Charles Gray as partner, and operated the mill under the firm name of Fisk, Helm & Gray. In 1856, this firm added flouring mill machinery, and continued under that firm name until about 1860, when Mr. Gray became sole proprietor. Mr. Gray soon sold the machinery of the saw-mill to parties in Belle Plaine, but the flouring mill is still owned and operated by him. The mill is located on the southwest quarter of section 9, on the south bank of the Iowa river, which stream, at this point, furnishes a six foot head of water. The building is two stories and a half in height, and 25x50 feet in size. It is equiped with three run of stone.

 

Charles Gray, the proprietor, is a native of Greenfield, Hillsborough county, New Hampshire. He was the second of six children of Charles and Esther (Wilson) Gray. Charles Gray was born on the 5th of September, 1823, and resided in his native State until 1842, when he emigrated to Illinois.  Seven years later he went to California by the over-land route and is therefore one of the few surviving "forty-niners," who, in that year, started for the land of gold. His health, however, did not permit hit to follow mining, and in 1852, he shipped as second mate on board a vessel bound for the Sandwich Islands. There, with others, he purchased a cargo of poultry, hogs, etc., which they disposed of at San Francisco. Subsequently he was engaged in the manufacture of lumber in different localities. He afterwards became associated with Woodhull Helm and P.M. Fisk, in the same business, but he soon became sole owner and proprietor of the mill. In March, 1855, Miss Elizabeth Sawyer, a native of Vermont, in compliance with Mr. Gray's request, left Providence, Rhode Island, to meet him in San Francisco, where she became his wife. In 1856, Mr. Gray came to Iowa and settled at Indiantown, where he again became a partner of P.M. Fisk and Woodhull Helm, these gentlemen having located there in 1855, and engaged in the milling business. In 1860, however, he again purchased the interest of his partners and has since been sole proprietor of the Indiantown mills. Mr. Gray is highly respected by his fellow men as an honorable gentleman.  He is a Republican in politics, but does not aspire to office. Hi was a charter member of Polar Star Lodge, A.F. & A.M.; a member of the Chapter of Marshalltown; a charter member of the Commandary at Marshalltown, but now belongs to Commandary No. 14, at Belle Plaine.

 

One of the first secret societies organized in the county was a lodge of the I.O.O.F. at Indiantown. It continued but a short time and all records have been lost.

 

Polar Star Lodge No. 113 A.F. and A.M. was organized by dispensation at Indiantown, October 9, 1857, with W.C. Salsbury, W.M.; Charles Gray, S.W.; Samuel Cronk, J.W.; Edward Edward Ruggles, Secretary; T.J. Sumner, Treasurer; J.B. Moffatt, S.D.; Chauncy Stevens, J.D.; T.D.H. Wilcoxon, Tyler. The lodge was named by W.C. Salsbury. It was the first Masonic Lodge organized in the county.

 

In the spring of 1873 the lodge was removed from Indiantown to Montour, then called Orford, and is now in good healthy condition. The total enrollment since organization has been about 100. The present membership is fifty-five. Meetings are held on Friday evenings on or before full moon.

 

W.C. Salsbury, the first master of the lodge was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, on the 22d of September, 1809. His father, Nathan Salsbury, was a native of the State of Vermont, and his mother, Levira (Clark) Salsbury, of Saratoga county, New York. He was reared on a farm and on the25th of December, 1834, was united in marriage with Miss Balara Wilder, a native of Henrietta, New York. I 1835, he emigrated to Ohio, and two years later to Illinois. Here he tilled the soil, aided in the organization of Ogle county, and soon became one of the leading citizens. He was elected Justice of the Peace and served in that capacity for fourteen years; he also served as County Judge for four years, in which office he proved worthy the trust and suffrages of the people. In 1855, he emigrated into the State of Iowa, and located in Iowa City. Here he became associated with other parties, and, as Salsbury, Daniel & Co., erected the first warehouse at that place and was doing good business in grain, lumber &c. In 1856, however, the cholera was quite prevalent at that place, and a daughter of Mr. Salsbury became one of the victims. Mrs. Salsbury, therefore, became discontented and urged her husband to locate elsewhere. He then sold out and came to Tama county and settled on section 18, in Indian Village township, where he still resides. Here he has likewise taken an active interest in the welfare of his county. He attended the first railroad convention held in Toledo, and although but little was accomplished at this time, it was the beginning of an important movement. He was subsequently one of the Apprizers of the Cedar Rapids and Missouri River Railroad Company, and also one of the Directors. In 1857, he received the nomination for County Judge but declined to run. He has given his principal attention to farming and has been very successful. His wife died November 5, 1864.She had eight children, five of whom are lining--William B., Balara A., now Mrs J.P. Fisher, Nathan, Martha, now Mrs. Charles Flannigan, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and John. Mr. Salsbury cast his first ballot for Andrew Jackson, and has since voted the Democratic ticket at every Presidential election, with the exception of 1872, when Horace Greeley was the candidate. In local politics, however, he always votes for whoever he considers the best fitted for the office. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and was the principal worker in establishing the first lodge in Tama county, which he named the "Polar Star", and served as its first master. As a citizen, he is enterprising, public spirited, honest in his dealings and highly respected by all who know him. He has, in all the positions given him by the people, shown himself well worthy of the confidence reposed in him.

 

LEGRAND STATION.

 

LeGrand Station is located on the west half of section 18, Indian Village township. A side track was laid at this point and a town platted soon after the completion of the Northwestern railroad through the county. It was thought the business men of LeGrand, Marshall county, and Montour could be induced to move to this point, but in this the founders were not successful.  There are only a few buildings on the site. It is the shipping point for LeGrand, Marshall county.

 

POTTER.

 

Potter is the name of a station on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, on section 35. The Railroad Company put in a side track at this point in the spring of 1882, and on May 1, commenced receiving and delivering freight to this point. The principal shipments are of grain and livestock. L.R. Putnam is station agent.

 

A postoffice was established here July 1, 1882, with Mrs. Kate Putnam as postmistress.

 

TOWN OF MONTOUR.

 

This is among the most thrifty and best business towns in Tama county. It is beautifully located just south of the Iowa river, on the Chicago &Northwestern railroad, in Indian Village township on sections 21 and 18. It is surrounded by an excellent farming country, which is settled by a class of well-to-do farmers, whose trade is valuable and permanent.

 

In 1863, when the Chicago & Northwestern railroad--then known as the Cedar Rapids & Missouri River railroad--was pushing through the western part of Tama county, Phineas Helm, in company with Miron Kellogg, laid out a few acres of land on section 21, into lots and blocks, and called it "Orford." Additions were made to this and a town built up. For a number of years it was known under the name of "Orford," after the well known Orford, New Hampshire, but this was finally given up for Montour. The scenery around the town is truly beautiful. The bluffs here are the true mine of wealth.  Not only does it add charms to the region, but they are composed of a formation which at no distant day will cause Montour to become a place of no small note. To-day it is a neatly built town of 500 inhabitants, doing a good business, and with a class of people that cannot be surpassed for enterprise and sociability.

 

Phineas Helm, one of the founders of Montour, was a native of New York, a son of Woodhull and Lucy (Ruggles) Helm. The family at an early day moved to Illinois and became pioneers on Ogle county. Here Phineas united in marriage with Miss Caroline Moffatt. He was engaged in various businesses until 1853, when he came to Iowa, and settled at Indiantown. At that place he erected a hotel and was engaged as its landlord for some time; then followed farming until 1863, when he traded his farm for land on section 21,and became one of the platters of Montour. He subsequently opened a stone quarry at Indiantown, and associated with D.D. Richardson built the mill at that place for dressing stone. Phineas Helm is now a resident of St. Louis, where he is engaged in business. He is remembered as a wide-awake businessman, and an enterprising, energetic fellow.

 

DEVELOPMENT.

 

The first house on the site of Montour was erected by B. McCullen in 1863.It is now occupied by L.L. Fellows.

 

The first store building was erected by John Doe.

 

The first lumber yard was opened by C.J. Stevens. This line--lime, lumber and fuel--is now represented by T.P. Smith & Brother.

 

The first grain buyer in Montour was Charles Coy; the second, Edward Ruggles. Grain and live stock are now handled by Butler & Black.

 

The first drug store in Montour was established by T.C. Shelley. Thepresent druggist is Dr. J.H. Stevens.

 

The first physician to locate here was Dr. H.C. Hutson. The profession is at present represented by Drs. J.H. Stevens and A.E. Peck.

 

C.H. Roberts represents the legal fraternity.

 

The first hardware store was established by J.L. Waggenor. The firms handling this line at present are B.W. Fellows & Bro. and Peter Roff.

 

John Doe kept the first dry goods store on the present site of Montour. The general merchandise line is at present represented by J.C. Millard, Edward Ruggles, D.R. Way and J.W. Waggenor.

 

Among the successful merchants at Montour, J.C. Millard stands conspicuous.  He came to the place in 1871, and at first taught school and also gave instruction in music. Subsequently he clerked in a store, but in 1876, he came to the conclusion that he would engage in business for himself. Starting with a capital of $100, he purchased the stock of Frank Pierce, which invoiced about $600, and with this opened up business. He was a young man and met with much opposition from older merchants; but he attended strictly to his own business, dealt honorably with all, and soon became the leading merchant in the town. He has enlarged his store room and now carries a stock which invoices over $5,000. He does a large credit business, as his books show nearly $6,000 in accounts. His success is due to his energetic abilities and fair dealing with his customers. Mr. Millard was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, on the 31st of October, 1845. His parents were J.P. and Catherine (Collins) Millard, both natives of New York.  There were nine children in the family, seven of whom are now living: Susan, now Mrs. Joseph Emerson; Mary, now Mrs. John O'Connor; Helen, now Mrs. H.S. Swift; Loretta, now Mrs. Walter Park; Q.C., W.A. and O.P. Q.C., while living in his native State, attended school at Albion Academy. In1868, he entered Alfred University at Alfred Center, New York, where he graduated in 1871. On July 16, 1873, at Tama City, Rev. L. Catlin solemnized his marriage with Miss Lydia Swift, daughter of A.B. and Mary Ann (Eastman) Swift. They have four children, three of whom are now living: Omer, Lolo Maud and Isaac C. Mr. Millard is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and for seven years has been Superintendent of the Sabbath-school. In March, 1883, Mr. Millard purchased the store building formerly owned and occupied by L. Matthews, and now has one of the best store-rooms in Tama county.

 

In 1854, Edward Ruggles and John Moore erected a building, and about October1, opened the first general mercantile business in the township. They conducted the same under the firm name of E. Ruggles & Co., until the death of Mr. Moore, in 1859, after which Mr. Ruggles continued alone until 1865.

 

The second store was opened some years subsequently by Isaac Butler.

 

Edward Ruggles is a native of Hardwick, Worcester county, Massachusetts, born September 18, 1828. His parents, Ira and Susan (Hathaway) Ruggles, were also natives of that State. He was left fatherless when only three years of age, but continued to reside in his native State until he reached his nineteenth year. He then went to Bangor, Maine, and engaged as clerk in the mercantile business. In the fall of 1850, he went to Ogle county, Illinois, to visit friends. In 1852, he located in that county, and in1853, formed a partnership with John Moore, and, as E Ruggles & Co. engaged in a general mercantile business at Buffalo Grove, and continued the same until 1825, during which time they opened a store at Butlerville. The first goods for their latter store were hauled from Rockford, Illinois, and until the railroads were built in Iowa, their nearest shipping point was Muscatine. Mr. Ruggles remained in business at Butlerville until the town of Montour, then Orford, sprung into existence, where he was the first to engage in business. Here he opened a store, and for a few years also dealt in grain, live-stock, etc., but for the last fifteen years has given his whole attention to general merchandise and stock raising. In politics, Mr. Ruggles was first a Whig, but when the Republican party sprung into existence, he at once joined its ranks, and has since affiliated with it.  He has held local offices, but prefers to take no more part in politics than to perform his duty as a citizen. The only secret society of which he is a member is the Masonic Fraternity.

 

On the 5th day of July, 1860, at Grinnell, Iowa, he married Miss Mary R. Grinnell, and they now have three daughters: Julia, Mary and Mattie.

 

D.R. Way came to Montour in 1866, and opened one of the first general stores in that place, and has since conducted a general mercantile business. He erected his present store in 1874. Davidson R. Way was born in Seneca county, Ohio, in 1837. He was the oldest of the eight children of J.B. and Sarah I. (Davidson) Way. In 1855, the family emigrated to Iowa, and after living one year in Washington county, settled in Decatur county, where the mother died in 1860. The father died at his native home in Pennsylvania, in May, 1879. D.R. Way received a common school education, and then learned the tinner's trade, which he followed until he came to Iowa. Here he commenced mercantile life, as clerk in a general store. In 1865, he engaged in business at Montezuma, Powesheik county, from which place he came to Montour. In 1862, he married Miss Sarah A. Hall, then of Decatur county, but a native of Illinois. They have had two children, one of whom is living--Charles B. Mr. Way is an active worker for the Republican party, but never aspires to office, as his business requires his whole attention.

 

The first grocery dealer in Montour was B. McCullen. At the present time E.M. Poyneer is the leading dealer in this line. He is a native of Salisbury, Litchfield county, Connecticut. He was born on the 20th day of August, 1829, and resided in his native town until May, 1853, when here moved to Michigan. In 1854, he commenced a mercantile life in Ogle county, Illinois, and continued in that business until 1858, when he was married to Miss Elizabeth Blaine, of Keny county, Michigan. The winter of1858-9 he spent in Connecticut, then returned to Illinois, and in the fall of 1859, came to Tama county, Iowa, where he has since been engaged in farming on section 3, Highland township. After the death of his wife, in February, 1874, he discontinued farming, and with his two daughters, Minnie E. and Hattie G., moved into the village of Montour, where he served for some time in the employ of the bank. In 1876, he married Miss Carrie Seward nee Peck, and since 1879, has been engaged in the grocery business. In politics he was first a Democrat, and as such voted for Franklin Pierce; but since 1856 he has been a Republican.

 

The only restaurant in the town of Montour at present is owned by R.E. Everett, who established the same in the spring of 1880. R.E. Everett, son of John and Nancy J. (Street) Everett, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, April 17, 1858. He was left fatherless in 1861, but his mother subsequently married F.T. Smith. R.E. Everett is the youngest of five children, and was reared on a farm. He received a good common school education, and subsequently taught three terms of school in Union county, in his native State. In 1880, he came to Iowa and has since been a resident of Montour. He is a Republican in politics, and is at present serving as Town and Village Clerk. On the 2d of October, 1882, the subject of this sketch was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss M. Lou Edwards, daughter of Rev. G.G. Edwards.

 

The first station agent was Phineas Helm.

 

The present dealers in agricultural implements are B.W. Fellows & Brother, who also carry a large stock of hardware, and T.P. Smith & Brother.

 

Buel Winslow Fellows, agricultural implement and hardware dealer, of Montour, was born in Lysander, Onondage county, New York, on the 28th day of August, 1832. Both his parents were also natives of New York, his father, Amos Fellows, being born in Otsego county, February 19, 1804; his mother, Ann (Cook) Fellows, in Van Buren, Onondaga county, March 17, 1806. She died January 4, 1849. His father married again and removed to Waworth county, Wisconsin, where he now resides. The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, when he, in company with a brother, engaged in running a saw mill for a short time. Mr. Fellows then sold his interest to his brother, and in the fall of 1855, came to Tama county, settling in Indian Village, where he engaged in the drug business with Dr. E.N. Whipple, in 1856. After remaining in this business for some four years, he sold out to his partner and then worked at carpentering and cabinet making until the fall of 1864, when he entered the army as a soldier in the 2d Iowa Infantry, Co. D. He was with General Sherman in the famous "march to the sea," and during all his soldier life was continuously on duty, not losing a day from sickness or otherwise, until he was discharged in 1865. After leaving the service, he returned to Tama county, and engaged in selling agricultural implements in Montour, Indian Village township. In the fall of 1882, he formed a cop-partnership with his brother, Luther L. Fellows, and added a general stock of hardware to the business. They carry a heavy stock and are doing a thriving business. Mr. fellows was married on the 8th of January, 1863, to Elizabeth E. Dunn, of Indian Village. She was born in Warren county, Ohio, December 5, 1840, her parents being Martin and Lydia (Hyser) Dunn. Mrs. Fellows' father died January 14, 1877; her mother is still living on the same place where she and her husband settled when they first came to Iowa, in 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Fellows have been blessed with six children: O. Scott Fellows, born December 16, 1863, died October24, 1876; Lottie L., born September 10 1867; Medora B., born June 30, 1871,died August 25, 1872; Edna D., born June 1, 1874 and Lydia May, born October13, 1876. In addition to the hardware business, Mr. Fellows in engaged in farming and is also in the fire insurance business, being agent for the Hawkeye and Oskaloosa, of Iowa, the Etna, Phoenix and Home of New York. Mr. Fellows has held the office of Justice of the Peace for six years, and has proven a very efficient officer. Mr. Fellows is a genial, warm-hearted gentleman, and energetic and thorough business man, and has been very successful in his financial operations.

 

William P. Kellogg, City Marshal, came to Tama county in 1870, and has sincere sided in the vicinity of Montour. Since 1879, he has been engaged in attending to Montour's harness business. Mr. Kellogg is a native of New York, born in Cattaraugus county, May 5, 1846. His parents were Levi and Eunice (Bishop) Kellogg. When William was but an infant his parents moved to Polo, Illinois, and five years later to Peoria, same State. Here William received a common school education, and at nineteen commenced work at the harness makers trade. In 1871, he was married to Miss Martha Babb, daughter of David and Elizabeth Babb. They have four children--Mary, Tilla, Eunice and Charley. Mr. Kellogg is a Republican in politics. In 1862, Mr. Kellogg enlisted in Company H, 86th Illinois Volunteers and served two years and eleven months.

 

H.S. Swift is running the Montour wagon and carriage shop.

 

Mrs. H.C. Burgess attends to the millinery line.

 

The meat marked is being satisfactorily managed by Tenny & Avery.

 

The Montour Exchange Bank was founded in 1872 by O.B. Dutton & Son. August12, 1873, they sold to chauncy J. Stevens, W.H. Harrison and G.H. Warren, who continued the business until January, 1875, when Chauncy S. Stevens became sole proprietor. In August 1875, he associated himself with H.J. Stephens and the firm became C.J. Stevens & Co. continuing until January,1883, when L. Matthews and George D. Young purchased the institution and are now engaged in a general banking business under the firm name of Matthews &Young.

 

Lewis Matthews, senior member of the firm, is a native of Green county, New York, born November 6, 1827. His parents, Jared and Huldah (Hemmingway) Matthews, were both natives of Connecticut. Mr. Matthews resided in his native State, until twenty-two years of age, then emigrated to Walworth county, Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming. He subsequently farmed at Milton, thence, in 1856, he removed to LeRoy, Minnesota, where he built a flouring mill and operated it until 1866. he then came to Montour, purchased the stock of John Niman and engaged in general merchandise, which he continued until 1883. during this time in 1869, his store was destroyed by fire; but he at once rebuilt. In 1849 Mr. Matthews was married to Miss Elizabeth B. Hubbard, then of Livingston, but a native of Green county, New York. They have one daughter, Ella C. now wife of George D. Young.

 

ELEVATORS.

 

As soon as the railroad company agreed to put in a side track, Charles Coy, of Chicago, commenced buying grain at this point. The company, however, left the track, when put in, but a short time, and Mr. Coy was obliged to transfer some of his grain to Le Grand, to secure shipment. In 1865 E. Ruggles commenced dealing in grain and continued in the business some time. In the spring of 1866, Wallace and Beale commenced business in this line, and in 1868, erected the Beale Elevator which is now owned by Butler &Black. This elevator has a capacity of 13,000 bushels and cost about$6,000. In 1870, H.G. Wallace erected an elevator with the capacity of11,000 bushels and operated the same until 1882, when he removed to Melbourne, Marshall county.

 

FOUNDRY AND MACHINE SHOP.

 

In the fall of 1878, W.A. Downs opened a small shop and commenced business as a machinist. In the month of March, 1880, he removed to his present location and one month later had the misfortune to have his shop destroyed by fire. He, however, soon rebuilt and in the fall of the same year added a foundry and is now able to make any casting, repair machinery and do any work in his line. As soon as he can get things properly arranged, he expects to give most of his attention to the manufacture of stationary and portable engines.

 

W.A. Downs, is a man who may truly be called a natural genius. He always had more love for machinery than for books. When he was only fifteen years of age he commenced to make toy engines and before nineteen years of age he built an engine capable of running considerable machinery. He spent nine months in the machine shops of Belle Plaine but he was not given much of a chance to learn anything new and he therefore engaged in business for himself and has learned what he knows by actual experience. He is highly respected by all who know him, as a person can not help admiring his ambition. Mr. Downs was born at Indiantown, Tama county, November 17, 1858.His father, Thomas L. Downs, was a native of New York, and his mother, Cordelia (Abbott) Downs was also born in the Empire State. Thomas L. Downs came to Iowa and settled at Indiantown, in 1856, and subsequently taught school at that place. In 1864, he was elected County Superintendent and served in that capacity for four years. His death took place in January,1868, leaving a wife who now resides at Montour, and three children of whom the subject of this sketch is the oldest. W.A. Downs was married in June,1882, to Miss Lavina V. Gould them of Montour, but a native of New York.

 

The first blacksmith shop at Montour was opened by Allen Voils, who continued to ply the hammer here until 1881. The second shop was opened by O.P. Millard, in 1868. The present blacksmiths are O.P. Millard, R.B. Montgomery and H. Ishbell.

 

O.P. MIllard, who opened the second blacksmith shop in Montour and is the oldest blacksmith in the place, is a son of I.P. and Catherine (Collins) Millard. He was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, May 11, 1848. At the age of fifteen years he enlisted in Company I, 23d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and served until the close of the war. He then went to Janesville, Wisconsin, where he learned the blacksmith trade. In 1868, he came to Montour and has since been a resident of that place. He has, however, made five different trips to the Rocky Mountains, and while there worked at his trade. On April 4, 1868, he was married to Miss Diana Swift, daughter of A.B. and Mary Ann Swift. Two children have been born to them: Frank B. and Jessie Belle. Mr. Millard is a straight Republican and is a member of the Q.L. of H. and the O.A.S. fraternities.

The first furniture business was established here, in 1866, by William Calkins, who still remains in the trade.  Mr. Calkins came here in June, 1856, and is therefore one of the pioneers of Indian Village township.  L. White established a furniture store here which he sold to A.B. Swift.

The Orford Lime Company is an institution which is among the most prominent features of Montour. The stone quarry just west of Montour was opened more than twenty years ago for the purpose of burning lime. A.J. Blodgett was the first man to engage in this business at this point. In 1869, T.P. Smith & Bro. purchased a fourth interest in the concern, and, in 1878, they leased
the remainder. They now manufacture over 25,000 barrels of lime annually.


POSTOFFICE.
 

The postoffice was established here in 1865, and was known as Orford, but as this name, when not plainly written, bore such a close resemblance to Oxford and various other names, mail was frequently delayed by being mis-sent.  Thus, at the request of many citizens, in 1873, the name was changed to Montour. Dr. John Doe was the first postmaster. He was succeeded in turn by John Niman, Luther Bingham and J.B. Moffatt, the present incumbent. The office was made a money-order department in July, 1875, and the first order was drawn on the 5th of July by Luther Bingham in favor of Ehle & Coyler, Marshalltown, for nine dollars. During the first six months there were thirty-one orders drawn, amounting to $974.53. During the year 1882, there were 414 orders issued, amounting to $2,390.49, and amount paid out was about $4,500. Total number of orders issued to January 1, 1883, is 2,746.  Present income of office is about $500 annually.
 
John B. Moffatt, the present postmaster at Montour settled at Indiantown in May, 1856, and worked at his trade--that of a mason--for two years; then clerked for E. Ruggles two years. In 1860, he settled on a farm which he had previously purchased, and tilled the same until 1873. At that time his only surviving child was married, and as his wife was in poor health, he sold his farm and moved into the village of Montour, where his time was mostly occupied in caring for his invalid wife, until her death in 1881, since which time he has held the position of postmaster at that place. Mr. Moffatt was born in Delaware county, New York, March 13, 1822. His father,
David W. Moffatt, was a native of Orange county, New York, and his mother, Patty (Moore) Moffatt, of Connecticut.  In about 1824, the family removed to Chemung county, New York, and there engaged in farming until 1836.  They then concluded to go west, and started across the country with teams. After meeting the many ups and downs incident to such a trip, they finally reached Olean. Here they waited nine weeks for the river to break up, when David W. Moffatt, Nathaniel Dennison and Robert Miller purchased a raft containing 110,000 feet of lumber and taking their families on board, started for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where they sold the lumber and took passage on a steamer for St. Louis. David W. Moffatt had intended to settle near Alton, Illinois, but he found much of the land wet and the country unhealthy. Not being satisfied, he started out in search of a better location and soon chose Aurora, where he settled with his family and again resumed farming.  Here J.B. helped his father till the soil until reaching his majority, when he went to Ogle county, learned his trade and followed the same until 1851.  He then engaged in general merchandise business, and continued at this until he came to Iowa in 1856. Mr. Moffatt has been twice married. His first wife, Miss Ellen N. Warner, to whom he was married in 1848, was a native of Bradford county, Pennsylvania. She died in May, 1881. Mrs. Moffatt had three children, one of whom is now living--Mary E., wife of E.J. Wilcox. In October, 1882, Mr. Moffatt was married to Miss Cornelia White, a native of New York. Mr. Moffatt has been a Republican in politics since the organization of that party, and previous to that time was an Abolitionist.  He has held the office of Justice of the Peace, and in 1880, took the census of his township. He is a charter member of Polar Star Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and served as its master for eight years. He is a member of the Congregational Church.


GAGE HOUSE.
 

In 1867, Nathan Bartlett purchased the store building owned and occupied by John Doe, which he rented to Jacob Rogers, who converted it into a hotel.  In 1874, Mr. Bartlett enlarged the same by erecting what is now the main part of the Gage House,--three stories in height, 30x40 feet in size. In 1875, A.B. Gage purchased the property, and acted as landlord until 1881, when it was leased. In March, 1883, H.S. Swift became proprietor, refurnished the same, and the hotel now has the reputation of being one of the best on the C. & N.W. railroad line.

H.S. Swift came to Montour, 1869, and since the spring of 1870, with the exception of two years, which he spent on the Pacific slope, has been engaged in the manufacture of wagons. Mr. Swift was born in Vermont in 1848, his parents being A.B. and Mary (Eastman) Swift, both natives of said State, and now residents of Montour, Iowa. He left Vermont with his family, in 1856, and went to Wisconsin, from thence he came to this county, in 1869.  There were ten children in the family, eight of whom are now living--Charles, Bessie, E.C., H.S., Diana May, Lydia and Azro. H.S. Swift was married in 1871, to Miss Ella Millard, and they now have two children--Charles and Dean. Mr. and Mrs. Swift are members of the M.E. Church. March 1, 1883, Mr. Swift became proprietor of the Gage House. He refurnished the house, and is now prepared to feed the hungry and rest the weary in good style.

William Franks represents a number of substantial insurance companies. He is a son of Charles and Mary Franks, both natives of England, was born May 12, 1840, and is a native of Polo, Ogle county, Illinois. He is the fifth of nine children. Mr. franks spent his younger days on a farm, but was given good educational advantages and received an academic education. He remained in his native State until 1866, when he came west to Iowa, and first located at Indiantown. He is at present engaged in the insurance business. Mr. Franks is a National in politics, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace. He is a member of the V.A.S. and the Q.L. of H. In 1863, he married Miss Hannah Hart, a native of Canada, and they now have seven children:--Howard, John E., George Lee, Estelle, Clyde, Lydia May and Charles Robert.

The painting trade is represented in Montour by A.F. Colebaugh, who is a son of George and Mary (Jundry) Colebaugh, and was born in Illinois, December 2, 1855. In about 1858, his parents removed to Ohio, but in 1860 returned to Illinois. Here A.F. received a common school education and remained until 1867, when the family emigrated to Iowa and settled in Marshall county. In 1870, Mr. Colebaugh came to Tama county and resided with his grandfather, N. Lundry. He afterwards taught school about three years, since which time he has worked at painting. March 17, 1878, he was married to Miss Cecelia Dixon, daughter of Rev. H.S. Dixon, and they now have two children: Arthur and Elmer. Mr. Colebaugh is a Republican, and is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.


ORGANIC.
 

In 1869, a petition was presented to the Circuit Court asking that the town of Orford be incorporated. the territory to be incorporated was described as commencing at the centre of the north line of section 28; thence 80 rods south; thence 160 rods east, to the east line of said section; thence north on the line 240 rods, to the section line of 21; thence west on the line 200 rods; thence south to the south line of section 21; thence east to the place of beginning, -- township 83, range 16.
 
The petition was signed by J. Stevens, R.W Dayton, J.W. Niman, A.A. Voiles, H. A. Burch. B.C. Johnson, R.B. Montgomery, J.O. Harrison, S.M. Bartlett, G.S. Rogers, W.W. reed, J.E. Bell, C.J. Stevens, W. Martin, C.S. Bartlett, A.J. Blodgett, E. Warner, G.A. Bell, L. White, H.G. Southwick, Phineas Helm, M. Purcell, A.T. Wooster, C.C. Gibson, L.G. Beale, D.R. Way, L. Matthews, W.M. Patrick, Amos Rouse, R. Oldham, H.D. Williams, H.C. Hutson, O.P. Millard, Thos. Smith, A.J. Dexter, M.M. Avery, T.C. Shelley, A.W. Bowers, Dennis Beale, Jeremiah Smith.

The Court consequently, on the 21st of October, 1870, ordered that Dennis Beale, C.J. Stevens, J. Beice, Sr., H.G Wallace and John W. Niman be appointed commissioners to hold an election upon the question of incorporating said territory.

At an annual election held March 3, 1873, the name of the town of Orford was changed to Montour.

The following is a complete roster of officers, as copied from the records:

1870.--Mayor, J.W. Niman; Recorder, J.R. Oldham; Councilmen, H.R. Winchell, J.J. Stevens, S. Ellis, and S. White.

 

1871.--Mayor, J.W. Niman; Recorder, J.R. Oldham; Councilmen, J. W. Beale, S. Ellis, E Toplin, J.H. Stephens and H.R. Winchell

1872.--Mayor, T.P. Smith; Recorder, J.W. Beale; Councilmen, J.D. Heywood, J.H. Stevens, H.D. Williams, J.L. Wagenor and H.R. Winchell.

1873.--Mayor, Truman Pierce; Recorder, C.J. Stevens; Councilmen, H.R. Winchell, G.T. Ward, Jacob Yeager, J. Smith and J.W. Niman.

1874.--Mayor, C. J. Stevens; Recorder, J.L. Waggenor; Councilmen, H.D. Williams, S. Ellis, R. E. Tewksbury, G. T. Ward and P. Long.

1875.--Mayor, W. B. Mumbrae; Recorder, J. L. Waggener; Councilmen, P. Long, R. E. Tewksbury, H.R. Winchell, Thomas and Rouse.

1876.--Mayor, H.C. Hudson; Recorder, J.W. Beale; Councilmen, H.G. Wallace, R.M. Tenny, T.S. Winchell, T.P. Smith and R.E. Tewksbury.

1877.--Mayor, H.J. Stevens; Recorder, J.L. Waggenor, A.B. Toplin, R.E. Tewksbury, Hiram Avery and H.C. Hudson.

1878.--Mayor, H.J. Stevens; Recorder, J.T. Moore; Councilmen, J.O Harrison, A.B. Gage, J.H. Stevens, L. F. Kellogg and R.M. Tenny.

1879.--Mayor, H.J. Stevens; Recorder, W.C. Burgess; councilmen, T.P. Smith, H.C. Burgess, R. E. Tewksbury, A.B. Gage, R.M. Tenny and J.L. Waggoner.

1880.--Mayor, L Bingham; Recorder, J. O. Clifford; Councilmen, R. E. Tewksbury, A. B. Gage, R.M. Tenny and J.L. Waggenor. A.B. Toplin and J. H. Stevens.

 

1881 Mayor, A. W. Berryman; Recorder, F. A. Hotchkin; Councilmen, J. H. Stevens, A. B. Toplin, H. G. Wallace, I. C. Millard, R. M. Tenny and J. L. Waggenor.

1882.--Mayor, Edward Helm; Recorder, R.E. Everett; Councilmen, a.B. Toplin, J.H. Stevens, I.C. Millard, P.H. Butler, H.G. Wallace and Charles Tenny.

1883.--Mayor, O.P. MIllard; Councilmen, A.B. Swift, J. Smith. I.C. Millard, P.H. Butler, H.G. Wallace and Charles Tenny; Clerk, John Harvey.


FIRES.
 

The first time the people of Montour were roused by the cry of "fire," was at the time the store of Jesse Dailey was laid in ashes. The property was insured for $6,000. $4,000 was paid by the company carrying the risk, that being the estimated loss. The cause of the fire was supposed to have been incendiary.

The second and largest fire occurred on the 8th of June, 1870, at which time four store buildings were destroyed and a loss of $12,000 sustained. This conflagration was caused by lightning striking the building occupied by Jacob Waggenor, grocer, and igniting a tank of oil, thus causing the flames to spread immediately beyond control.


RELIGIOUS.


The first religious service held in Indian Village township, as elsewhere stated, was in 1852, and it was probably the first in the county. In that year, Rev. Solomon Dunton, of Iowa City, established a Methodist Episcopal Mission at the house of Washington Abbott, with the following named persons as members: E.W. Dailey and wife, Hampton Voorhies and wife, William Taylor and wife, Mrs. Murty and a young lady whose name cannot be remembered.


Washington Abbott and wife were formerly members of the Baptist Church.  E.W. Dailey served as first Class Leader. He was succeeded in 1853, by Allen Dingee, who served for a number of years. Rev. Solomon Dunton had charge of the Mission until the fall of 1853, when he was succeeded by Rev. Stewart. In the fall of 1854, Rev. William Armstrong took charge for one year. Then in 1955, came Rev. Allen Shinn, who was in turn succeeded by Rev. Solomon Dunton, the founder of the church, who remained one year. In 1857, came Rev. Babcock; in 1858, Rev. I Haymond; in 1859, Rev. James Hawkins, and in 1860, Rev D.C.Wartz, who was the first regular pastor, and remained two years. In 1864, Rev. I. Haymond returned; in the fall of 1865, Rev. C.A. Hawn took charge and supplied for two years. He was then succeeded by Rev. L. Winsett; he in turn, in 1868, by Rev. A.N. See; then in 1870, came Rev. I Holland; in 1871, Rev. G.M. Hall; in 1872, Rev. O. Scott; in 1873, Rev. A.C. Rickey; in 1875, Rev. L. Winsett; in 1877, Rev. S.N. Howard, who supplied the pulpit for about eighteen months, when he departed for Kansas, and Rev. Francis Norton filled the vacancy. He was succeeded in 1879, by Rev. T.M. Nichols, and Nichols, in 1880, by Rev. Allen Brean, who died May 30, 1881. At that time Rev. Joseph Woolley, from Ohio, was at Montour on a visit, and was appointed to fill the vacancy, but he also died before the year was ended. In the fall of 1881, Rev. Thomas Simmons took charge, and is now serving his second year as pastor of the society.

In 1854, the place of worship was changed from Mr. Abbott's house to the residence of E.W. Dailey, Indiantown; thence, in 1856, to the school house at that place, where it remained until the Montour class, which was organized about 1867, absorbed the members, and then Montour was chosen as the place to erect a church building, which was completed in 1873. It is a wooden structure, 32x50, and cost about $2,500. The society now numbers sixty-five members, and in connection has a good Sabbath school, which was organized in 1853, E.W. Dailey being the first Superintendent.

The Congregational Church Society, was organized at Butlerville, June 10, 1855, with the following officers and members: Rev.T.M. Skinner, Pastor; John Moore and John E. Cunningham, Deacons; John E. Cunningham, Clerk; James M. Bradley, Lucy Bradley, Oliver Cunningham, Caroline, Helen and Mrs. Abbott.  Rev. T.M. Skinner had charge but a few months when he was succeeded by Rev. G.H. Woodward, who supplied the pulpit for two years, in connection with the charge at Toledo. Rev. M.N. Crane was the next pastor. He served until his


death, which occurred in 1859. Rev. J.J. Hill then served one year. The next six years the pulpit was supplied by Rev. Robert Stewart, in connection with Green Mountain, Marshall county. Rev Fayette Hurd then had charge for about eight years, and since June, 1876, Rev. C.C. Adams has been its pastor. In 1866, the place of worship was changed from Butlerville to Montour, then Orford, and in 1867, the society erected its present church edifice, a wooden structure, 35x50 feet valued at $3,500. The society has been quite prosperous and now has a membership of sixty-sis. Its total membership since organization is 112. The present officers of the society are: Rev. C.C. Adams, Pastor; James M. Bradley and George Blake, Deacons; R.M. Tenny, John B. Moffatt and Edward Ruggles, Trustees; S.A. Smith, Treasurer; and Rev. C.C. Adams, Clerk. the Sunday school was organized soon after the church, and now has a membership of about 100, with an average attendance of eighty. Its officers are: Mrs. J.H. Stevens, Superintendent; Mrs. B.M. Tenny, Assistant Superintendent; and J.R. Avery, Secretary.


SOCIETIES.
 

A history of the Masonic Order of Montour is presented in connection with the history of Indiantown, where the society was first organized.

Montour Lodge, No. 34, I.L. Of H. was organized on the 5th of August, 1879, with the following officers and charter members: L. Bingham, President; J.H. Stevens, Vice-President; J.F. Moore, Recording Secretary; S. Ellis, Financial Secretary; H.G. Wallace, Treasurer; J. Smith Chaplain; H.C. Burgess, Usher; G.T. Ward, Door Keeper; William Franks, Sentinel; A.N. Poyneer, E.M. Griffith and J. Stevens, Trustees; O.P. Millard, C.H. Houghkirk, William Haines, E.M Poyneer, J.L. Waggenor, F.A. Hotchkiss, B.W. Fellows, a. Rouse, Joseph Gass and G.W. DeLong.

The Lodge holds its meetings on the first than third Wednesday evenings of each month, and now has a member shi of thirty. The total membership of the order, January, 1, 1883, was 5,141, and during the year of 1882, there were only eight assessments. Montour Lodge has lost but one of its members by death--Rev. A.S. Bean, pastor of the M.E. Church. The $2000 benefit was
promptly paid to his father. The officers for 1883 are--G.T. Ward, President; T.P. Smith, Vice-President; Wm. Franks, Recording Secretary; S. Ellis, Financial Secretary; J.H. Stevens, Treasurer; J. Smith, Chaplain; A. Rouse, Usher; O.P. Millard, Door Keeper; J.G. Cronk, Sentinel.


THE V. A. S. FRATERNITY.


This is a beneficiary order, the chief objects of which are to establish and extend a brotherhood for the promotion of fraternal relations, mutual advancement socially, morally, and intellectually, upon a catholic platform on which all patriotic and good citizens of any sect, creed or nationality can substantially agree, and to afford aid and benefit to the widows, orphans, heirs, assigns or devisees of deceased members of the fraternity.

On the death of each member this Order pays $2,000, as a benefit to the family of the deceased member.

This Order was founded by the following named gentlemen, who met at Grinnell, Iowa, September 16, 1879, and considered the constitution, by laws, ritual of the secret work presented by S.W. Maltbie, of Montour, and adopted the same and elected the first chief officers, viz: George F.H. Stevens of Grinnell, Chief Rector: J.P. Clement, Grinnell Vice-Chief Rector: W.B. Mumbine, Montour, Chief Scribe; J.H. Pierson, Grinnell, Chief Treasurer; J.T. Sherman, Grinnell, Chief Guard; D.S. Maltbie, Des Moines, Senior Deputy Chief Rector; S. W. Maltbie, Montour, Junior Deputy Chief Rector.

The above named also organized Alpha Collegium No. 1, at Grinnell. Since that day the Order has made a steady and healthy growth and has averaged one hundred new members, per month. It is now established in one hundred and twenty-five of the principal cities of Iowa, and confines its work entirely to this State.

Present chief officers: J.C. Root, Lyons, Chief Rector; D.S. Maltbie, Des Moines, Deputy Chief Rector; O.H. Henderson, Cedar Rapids, Jr. Deputy Chief Rector; S.L. Waide, Muscatine, Vice-Chief Rector; Wm. Toman, Independence, Chief Treasurer; S.W. Maltbie, Montour, Chief Scribe; Rev. S.R. Hoyt, Waverly, Chief Chaplain; Edwin I. Cameron, Davenport, Chief Usher; T.J. Palmer, What Cheer, Chief Guard; J. Hensley, M.D., Chief Medical Examiner.

Collegium No. 73, V.A.S. fraternity of Montour, Iowa, was instituted August 11, 1881, by D.S. Maltbie, Deputy Chief Rector of the V.A.D. Charter members: David Corbet, William Cronk, J.G. Cronk, William Franks, J.D. Heywood, J.P. Hendricks, William P. Kellogg, S.W. Maltbie, (joined by card from Call No. 1, Grinnell, Iowa), Alfred N. Poyneer, Charles A. Stevens, C.J. Stevens, Henry G. Wallace, J.S. Waggenor.

The first officers were: S.W. Maltbie Rector; Alfred N. Poyneer, Vice Rector; William Franks, Scribe; Charles A. Stevens, Treasurer; William P. Kellogg, Usher; J. D. Heywood, Guard.

The first members added after date of institution of the Collegium, were:

Samuel A. Strain; O.H. Henderson, D.C.R.; Charles S. Paul, M.D., Isaac Smith, O.P. Millard, Henry S. Swift, Barnett Dippo, Daniel S. Maltbie, D.C.R., Wm. McBride, W.M. Shumaker.

The present officers are: S.W. Maltbie, Rector; C.J. Stevens, Vice Rector; A.N. Poyneer, Chaplain; O.P. MIllard, Scribe; Charles A. Stevens, Treasurer; William Franks, Usher; Barnett Dippo, Guard.

 

C.J. Stevens,
Curators. { H.G. Wallace,

J.G. Cronk.


The Collegium has suffered no loss of its membership by death. In 1883, the membership in good standing was twenty-three. The Collegium has been in good condition owing to a careful selection of its membership, and has since its organization maintained good standing with the Chief Collegium by prompt payment of all its dues and death assessments.

S.W. Maltbie, Chief Scribe of the V.A.S. Fraternity, was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, May 19, 1840. His father, Daniel Maltbie, was a native of Connecticut; his mother Esther Gilbert, of Long Island, New York. S.W. Attended Oberlin College until 1861, when he enlisted in Company E, 87th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served four months and was mustered out of service as Orderly Sergeant. He returned home and at once re-enlisted in Company E, 4th U.S. colored Troops, receiving a commission as Captain, serving fourteen months. At the expiration of that time he resigned and entered Amherst College, Massachusetts, from which institution he graduated in 1867. August 15, 1867, Mr. Maltbie was married to Miss R.S. Boltwood, a native of Amherst and a daughter of W. Boltwood. After graduating, Mr. Maltbie served one year as disciplinarian at the Military Academy of Cheshire, Connecticut; then one year as principal of schools at Princeton, Bureau county, Illinois, which position he resigned to accept the more lucrative position of principal of the High School and Superintendent of the public schools of Geneseo, Illinois. He held this position for four years, during which time he graded the schools and graduated two classes. In 1874, he took charge of the High School at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and remained in that position for two years, when on account of poor health he gave up teaching and traveled for a few years, during which time his family located at Montour, Iowa. In 1879, he assisted in organizing the V.A.S. Fraternity, of which he served as Deputy Chief Rector one year, and since that time has been its Chief Scribe. In the fall of 1880, Mr. Maltbie was chosen principal of the public schools > of Montour. He graded the schools and after teaching two terms, resigned his position to attend to his duties as Chief Scribe of the V.A.S Fraternity, which required his entire attention. Mr. and Mrs. Maltbie have been blessed with five children, three of whom are living: Ralph Waldo, Edith Brayton and William Noble. Ralph Waldo, the eldest, was born July 1, 1868, and on the 13th of July, 1871, the class which graduated at Amherst College in 1867, presented him with a silver cup, valued at $40, he being the first born unto said class. Mr. Maltbie is a Republican in politics, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the I.O.O.F. He is prompt in the fulfillment of his obligations, is courteous, and is respected by all who know him.


EDUCATIONAL.
 

With reference to the educational facilities and their public schools, the people of Montour justly take especial pride. The schools here are equal to the best in the county, and in some respects, superior. Everything relating to educational matters has always been promptly and carefully attended to, and the present efficiency of Montour's schools is indeed a credit to the city.

On the 30th day of January, 1872, there was a meeting of the Sub-directors of the District township of Indian Village, held at Montour, at which there was a petition of twenty-seven of the legal voters of the town of Montour, then Orford, presented, requesting that said town and the territory contiguous thereto be formed into an independent district. At an election held on the 10th day of February, 1872, the question was decided and the independent district was accordingly formed. According to the previous notice the electors of the independent district assembled on the 11th day of March, 1872. A.B. Toplin was chosen Chairman and C.J. Stevens, Secretary.  On motion of J.M. Mills, it was voted to proceed to ballot for six directors. J.M. Mills, Dennis Beale and T.P. Smith were appointed Judges of Election. At the election A.B. Toplin, H.G. Wallace, Dennis Beale, R.M Tenny, H.R. Winchell and J.M. Mills were chosen Directors; C.J. Stevens, Secretary and T.P. Smith, Treasurer; and they served as the first officers.  The officers for 1883, were J.H. Stevens, President; D.R. Way, B.W. Fellows, E. Gaudy, A.B. Toplin, J.G. Cronk, Directors; R.E. Everett, Secretary; Geo. Young, Treasurer. D.S. Glidden was chosen as the first Principal, and his skill as a teacher and gentlemanly behavior so gained the confidence of the people that he was employed in said capacity until the fall of 1875, when he was succeeded by R. White, and he in time by C.A. Morse, C.P. Blodgett, G. A. Roberts, W.H. Black, W.J. Flint, S.W. Maltbie, J.P Hendricks, W.H. Black, S.S. Dobson. In 1876 the present school building was erected. It is a fine brick structure, situated in the south part of the village, on an elevation overlooking the town. The value of the building is about $8,500. In 1880, S.W. Maltbie was Principal, who divided the school into ten grades. The first class graduated in 1881 and consisted of two pupils, Nellie Blake and Gertie Poyneer.

The second class graduated in 1882, and consisted of five pupils, Lutie Poyneer, Gertie Ward, Lizzie Downs, Frank Williams and Fred Bartlett. In 1883, there was only one graduate--Hattie Poyneer.

The following is the corps of teachers in charge for the year 1882-3:

S.S. Dobson, Principal; Miss Dora L Dobson, Assistant; Miss Ida F. Peck, Intermediate and Miss Gertie L. Ward, Primary. The total enrollment for the fall term on 1882 was 134, average attendance 120.



Tama Co. Home Page

Table of Contents

Biography List

Portrait List

Certificates

Chapter XXXI