Lincoln is the northwestern corner township of Tama county, embracing township 86, range 16. Grundy county forms the north and west boundaries, and Grant and Spring Creek lie adjacent to the east and south. The surface is made up of a beautifully rolling prairie, and the scenery diversified by many domestic groves cultivated by the thrifty settlers. Toward the southwest corner of the township the prairie becomes more abrupt in its undulations, and near the creek it is quite hilly. The soil is entirely a dark loam of good depth, and wonderful durability. This is underlain with a subsoil of clay. All the natural timber is located on section 7, called Fifteen Mile Grove; but there is scarcely a farm house that is not surrounded by a well arranged grove.
Lincoln is well watered, and the many streams that thread their way to and fro across the prairies, tend to make the township valuable for stock raising purposes. Little Wolf creek enters on section 7, and flowing in a southerly direction crosses the western part of the township and leaves by way of section 32. Four Mile creek rises on section 16, flows southeasterly and enters Grant township. A branch of Mosquito creek rises on section 10 and flows northeast on its way to Grundy county. Another branch of the same creek heads on section 14.
The township is settled entirely by a farming class, there being no village within its limits. The north part of the township is peopled with Americans, Scotchmen, Canadians, and a few Germans; the latter nationality are in a large majority in the south part.
Fifteen Mile Grove received this name because of the early settlers speaking of it as being "fifteen miles from nowhere."
The first settler in Lincoln township was Lockhart Wilbur, a native of Massachusetts, who came here in 1855, and settled in Fifteen Mile Grove, on section 7. He erected a little cabin and remained until during the war, when he moved west. He has since died.
The next settlers were the Prescott brothers, Greenwood and Joseph, natives of Main, who came here from Black Hawk county in 1856 or 1857. They settled near Wilbur, on the same section, and erected a little log shanty. They remained for a number of years; Greenwood died at the Grove, and Joseph removed to Oregon.
The next settler was S. V. R. Kelly, who came to the county in 1855, and settled at Buckingham. On the 2d of April, 1860, he moved his family into Lincoln township, settling on section 14. Here he erected a cabin 16X20 feet and began pioneer life. He had been here previous to this and taken the land. In 1856, he turned the first sod with a plow in the township. He still lives on the same section that he originally settled upon.
S. V. R. Kelly is a native of New York born in 1810. His parents, John and Elizabeth (Avery) Kelly, were also natives of New York, and made that State their home until their death. Mr. and Mrs. Kelly had a family of ten children: S. V. R. Polly, wife of E. Colvin; Almyra, wife of Hiram Colvin; Mathilda, wife of K. F. Randolph; Philinda, wife of C. F. Fenton; Harriet, now Mrs. H. Thomas; Hiram, Lucinda, wife of John Keys; Austin B., and Hannah, now Mrs. Samuel Stafford. S. V. R. Kelly left New York State when twenty-one years old and went to Pennsylvania, where he followed farming for three years. He then removed to Ohio, and engaged in farming and teaming until 1836; then went to Michigan, returning to Ohio in 1839. Here Mr. Kelly remained until 1853, at which time he went to Wisconsin, where he made his home until the fall of the same year, then started by team for Iowa. He came to Tama county, locating in Buckingham township, where he lived until 1856. Mr. Kelly then moved with his family to Lincoln township, and has since made this his home. He now lives on section 14, on a farm of fifty acres. His son occupied the old homestead until recently. Mr. Kelly was married in 1837, to Miss Harmony Harvey, a daughter of John and Hannah (Brockway) Harvey. By this union there were five children, two of whom are living: F. C., and Laura Maria, wife of G. H. Taylor, now of Montgomery county, Iowa. In politics, Mr. Kelly is a Republican and cast his first vote for Thomas Jefferson. In religion, Mr. Kelly adheres to the Quaker faith. He has served the township in various local officers, having been Justice of the Peace and Township Clerk.
This township settled slowly, as the land was taken largely by speculators. In 1867 there were seven houses and two school houses within the limits of Lincoln. Those who are remembered as being here were Alfred M. and A. W. Storer, Green and Joseph Prescott, George Morehouse, A. C. Brockway and the Henry brothers, who were all located near Fifteen Mile Grove; H. H. Z. Jensen, on section 27; S. V. R. Kelly and his son Fernando, on section 14; and Ira Peck, on section 9.
In August of 1867, Isaac and C. H. Baldwin left LaSalle county, Illinois, for Iowa. They came through with wagons, camping on the way. The trip took seven days. During that time they did not have a warm meal or drink even a cup of tea or coffee, and slept under the wagon, except two nights. They finally got to Lincoln township in safety, and purchased of Ira Peek five eighties, and C. H. Baldwin had eight acres which he had purchased prior to coming. They were soon followed by S. H. Baldwin. He lived here until the railroad reached Grundy Center, when he moved to that place and is now engaged in the law and land business.
Isaac Baldwin settled on section 18. In 1880 he removed to Nebraska.
C. H. Baldwin lived upon his first place two years; then lived with his brother on section 9, for five or six years, until he was married, when he removed to his present home on section 8. C. H. Baldwin is a native of Illinois, born in 1843. He is a son of Samuel and Nancy (Hall) Baldwin, the former a native of Vermont, the latter of New Hampshire. There were nine children in the family: Emily, Lewis, Emerson, George, Laura Ann, now wife of T. H. Hardy, Alzina, wife of Charles McKinly; Samuel H, of Grundy Centre, Iowa; Charles H., and Isaac. The mother died in 1869; the father in 1883. The subject of this sketch resided in LaSalle county, Illinois, until he was twenty-four years of age, engaged at work on a farm. In 1867, he came to Tama county, locating in Lincoln township, on section 10, where he bought 320 acres of land in company with his brother. He afterward traded his share of that land and now lives on section 8, where he owns 480 acres of improved land. Mr. Baldwin was married in 1875 to Miss Mary Dick, a daughter of Robert and Mary Ann (Brown) Dick. This union has been blessed with four children: Lewis Henry, born in 1876; Mary Anna, born is 1877; Robert, born in 1878 and Laura May, born in 1881. Lewis Henry and Robert died of diphtheria in December, 1881. Mr. Baldwin cast his first vote for Mr. Lincoln, and has since voted principally with the Republican party. He has served his township in several offices, having been sub-School Director, road Supervisor, Assessor, Township Clerk and at present holds the office of Trustee of Lincoln township. Mr. Baldwin has always deeply interested himself in questions of local benefit, and has added his influence of all movements which would improve the public welfare.
In 1868, among those who came were Hugh Patterson, Hiram Ray, Mr. Knight and Mr. Godfrey. They all came from near Toledo and settled on section 11, taking all of that section except 40 acres. Patterson is now somewhere west of here; Ray remained about one year and moved into Crystal township; Knight remained about the same length of time and left.
Others who came in 1868, were Nicholas Burd, Henry Biddle, James Voss, A Burley, Clint Snow, Robert Dick, Thomas Kelly, Stephen Robinson, Peter H. Kleehass, Fred Lage, William and Thomas Harris, Johann Greve, Marx and P. Rehder. The Rehder brothers were followed in a few years by Jurgen Rehder. A number of Germans settled in the southern part of the township.
Nicholas Burd broke land this year. He is still a resident of the township.
Henry Biddle and James Voss came together. The former settled on section 14; he has gone to Oregon. James Voss located on section 12, where he still lives.
A. Burley came from Illinois. He was a Frenchman. He lived with the Baldwins on year, then located on section 7, where he still lives.
Clint Snow settled on section 18. He left within a few years.
Billy Hilton came about the same time and settled on section 15. He now lives in Waterloo.
Stephen Robinson settled on section 9, where he still lives.
Robert Dick, father-in-law of C. H. Baldwin, came in the fall of 1868, and located on section 3, where he still lives.
Fred Lage is a native of Holstein, Germany, born in 1855. His parents were Joachim and Catherine (Speth) Lage. In 1864, the family came to the United States and located in Scott county, Iowa, where they were engaged in farming for four years. In 1868, they removed to Tama county, settling in Lincoln township. Fred lived with his parents in Lincoln township until 1880, when he located on section 28, same township. In 1880, he was married to Miss Friederika Barfels, a daughter of Gottlieb and Anna (Paulsen) barfels. They have been blessed with two children - Henry and Theodore.
In politics Mr. Lage is a Democrat, and has served his township in the offices of Road Supervisor and School Director.
William Harris, a native of Scotland, was born in 1839, and is a son of Thomas and Isabella (Ferguson) Harris. There were nine children in the family: Jessie, wife of James Young; Isabella, wife of William Rogers; Alexander, Catherine, wife of R. Putney; William, Thomas, John, Robert and James. The parents came to Lincoln township in 1871, and in 1873 the mother died, and was buried in Lincoln township cemetery. After his wife's death, the father returned to Scotland, and now resides in Bertshire. William received his education in his native land and learned the carpenter's trade, engaging at that business in connection with farming until 1861, when he came to the United States. He settled in Clinton county, where he lived seven years, then in 1868, came to Lincoln township, Tama county, and settled on section 6. He now owns a fine farm of 163 acres. Mr. Harris is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Grundy Centre. He was married in 1862 Miss Elizabeth Whiteside, daughter of John and Alice (Black) Whiteside, natives of Ireland. They have four children living: Catherine, born July 23, 1863, Isabella, August 28, 1865; John, August 22, 1869; and Susan, born February 6, 1876. James, who was born April 3, 1871, died February 12, 1879, of diptheria.
Johann Greve was born in Schleswig, Germany, on the 18th of May, 1840. He is a son of Johann and Anna (Vogt) Greve, who are still living on a farm in Germany. Johann lived with his parents on the farm until 1868, when he came to the United States, and located in Lincoln township, Tama county, where he purchased 200 acres of land on section 23, making it his permanent residence. Mr. Greve was married in June, 1880, to Miss Friederika C. E. Hansen, a daughter of Fred and Sophie (Christiansen) Hansen. This union has been blessed with one daughter, Anna, born October 30, 1881. Mrs. Greve died November 17, 1881, and Mr. Greve was again married June 3, 1882, to Miss Margaretta Thiesen, a daughter of Thomas and Maria (Pott) Thiesen. Mr. Greve in polities, is a Democrat; in faith, he is a Lutheran.
Marx H. Rehder is a native of Holstein, Germany, born in 1838. His parents, Henry and Wiebke (Horstman) Rehder, followed weaving and gardening in Holstein.
Henry Rehder died in 1877; his wife in 1854. Marx H. received his education and learned the weaver's trade, but afterward followed farming in Hamburg and Altona until 1864, when he emigrated to the United States. He first located in Scott county, Iowa, where he resided until 1868, then came to Tama county, and settled in Lincoln township, on section 22, on land that he had purchased in 1867. He now owns a fine farm of 320 acres - 160 acres on section 21 and 160 on section 15. In 1868, he was united in wedlock with Miss Catharine Steffer, a daughter of Peter and Catharine (Goetsch) Steffer. They have five children living - Anna, born November 17, 1868; Mary, born November 10, 1870; Adolph, born February 23, 1874; Rudolph, born March 18, 1876; and Edward, born April 24, 1883. In politics, Mr. Rehder is a Republican and has served as Trustee of his township.
P. Rehder, brother of Marx H. and Jurgen Rehder, was born in 1848, in Holstein, Germany. He came to the United States in 1868, resided in Scott county, Iowa, for a short time and then came to Lincoln township, Tama county, Iowa. In 1874, he moved to section 5, and purchased a farm of 160 acres, where he now lives. Mr. Rehder was married in 1873 to Miss Anna Kammerer, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Kammerer, natives of Schleswig, Germany. They have had four children born unto them - Henry, Theodore, Mary and Thomas. Mrs. Rehder died in 1881. Mr. Rehder affiliates with the Democratic party, and has held the office of School Director in his township.
Jurgen Rehder, a brother of Marx H. Rehder, settled in Lincoln township, Tama county, in 1870, on section 21. He was born in 1845, in Holstein, Germany, and followed farming until 1865, when he came to the United States, locating first in Scott county, this State. He worked on a farm in that county until 1870, then purchased 80 acres of land in Lincoln township, of this county. He has since added 160 acres to his farm, making 240 acres, all under improvement. In 1870, Mr. Rehder was married to Miss Lena Dittmer, daughter of Peter and Grete (Goetsch) Dittmer. Six children have been born to them - Julius, Theodore, Louise, Lena, Annie and Clara. Mr. Rehder has served his township in various capacity, having held the offices of Trustee, School Director, and Road Supervisor.
Among the arrivals during 1869, were John F. G. Cold, John Thompson, John Dalglish and John Stien; father and son, who settled on section 11; D. B. Hammersly, who settled on section 9; and Abraham Eldrige, who located on section 3.
Thomas Harris was also a settler of 1869. He is a son of Thomas and Isabella (Ferguson) Harris. He was born in Scotland, in 1841, and was there given a good common school education. In 1866, he came to the United States, and settled in Clinton county, Iowa. He resided in that county until 1869, then came to Tama county, and located in Lincoln township, where he now owns 160 acres of improved land. He also owns 120 acres in Grundy county, which he works in connection with his homestead farm. In 1877, Mr. Harris was married to Jeanet Steele, a daughter of John and Margaret (Duff) Steele, both of whom are dead. Mr. Harris is a warm supporter of the Democratic party.
In 1870, the settlement of the township was materially increased. Among those who came this year were - Clark Peck, Joseph and Charles Klesspie, J. C. Parker, Eugene Smith, George Baldwin, W. Swartz, A. C. Bern and others.
George Baldwin settled upon his father's farm on section 10, where he remained until the spring of 1883, when he went to Dakota.
J. C. Parker, who is mentioned as coming in 1870, is a native of Huntingdonshire, England, born May 10, 1825. His parents were John and Susan (Clark) Parker. J. C. lived in his native country until 1862, when he came to the United States, locating at Albany, N. Y., where he engaged in farming. In 1866, Mr. Parker moved to LaSalle county, Ill., where he farmed for four years, and in 1870, came to Tama county, locating in Lincoln township, on section 17. He has ever since made this his residence and now owns 240 acres of improved land, all under good cultivation. Mr. Parker was married August 13, 1849, to Miss Mary Ann Barnes, a daughter of William and Sara (Livett) Barnes, and born October 16, 1825. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have been blessed with four children - George born October 12, 1851, now of Chicago, Illinois; Mary Ann, born June 25, 1854, wife of Francis Day, of Plymouth county, Iowa; John, born October 19, 1658, (see note below) now living in Chicago; and Jane, born August 4, 1863. Mr. Parker is a member of the Episcopal Church.
William Swartz is a son of Henry and Margaret (Doran) Swartz, both of whom are now dead. He was born in Pennsylvania, in 1845. Mr. Swartz left his native State in 1866, and moved to Illinois, where he followed farming for four years. In 1870, he came to Tama county, locating in Lincoln township, and is now living on his farm of 160 acres on section 15. Mr. Swartz was married in 1869 to Mary A. Case, a daughter of Loyal Luther and Julia A. (Sims) Case. Four children have been born to them - Anna May, Harriet, Lydia, deceased; William Henry and Dora Mabel. Mr. Swartz, politically, is an Independent, and has served his township as School Director, Constable and Road Master.
A. Christian Bern is a native of Holstein, Germany, born in 1848. He is a son of Henry and Margaret (Schwarten) Bern. Mr. Bern came to the United States in 1870, first locating for two years in Lincoln township, Tama county, and then residing for a time in Wisconsin and Minnesota. He finally returned to Lincoln township and worked the farm of Johann Greve for several years. Mr. Bern now owns 160 acres of good land on section 13, and devotes his attention to farming.
Among those who have moved into the township since that time, and have been prominent citizens, may be mentioned, F. G. Cold, Christian J. C. cold, James F. Harris, Hinrich Tauk, H. Ludwig, Jacob Billerbeck, James McCullogh, William Porter, John Gardiner, Claus Wiese and others. To give the reader a better idea of these men, who represent Lincoln's class of inhabitants, personal sketches of them are presented.
F. G. cold was born in 1812, at Eckernforde, Germany. His parents were Simon Arend Van cold and Catharina L. D. (Braasch) cold, the former being Captain at the Christian Soldier's Home at Eckernforde, province of Schleswig. The subject of this sketch was engaged in the dry goods business and was proprietor of a hotel for a number of years in his native country. In 1848, he came to the United States, settled near Cleveland, Ohio, and followed farming until 1871, then came to Lincoln township, where he lived on a farm until his death, which occurred in 1876. He left a wife and two sons, who still live on the old homestead. Mr. Cold was married in February, 1840, to Miss Henrietta M. F. Bohn, daughter of John G. F. and Elsabea C. (Badensee) Bohn. Seven children were born to them - John F. G., Otto H. F., killed at the battle of Winchester; Christina H. M., wife of W. F. Laetsch; Johanna U., wife of Samuel Smith; Antoinette Maria, now Mrs. George Swan; Christian J. C. and Rudolph H. S. who died, April 3, 1883, age twenty years and two months.
Christian J. C. Cold was born in 1858, at Cleveland, Ohio. He came to Tama county with his parents in 1871, and followed farming, and since the death of his father, in 1876, has been working the old homestead.
James F. Harris came to Lincoln township in 1871, and now owns a fine farm of 160 acres, on section 6. Mr. Harris is a son of Thomas and Isabella (Furguson) Harris, born in Perthshire, Scotland, in 1840. He received his early education in the public schools of his native country, and afterward followed railroading in Europe, serving as an office clerk. In 1866, he came to the United States and resided with his parents in Clinton county, Illinois, until 1871, when he came to Tama county, Iowa.
Hinrich Tauk was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1836, his parents being Marx and Anna Catherine (Westphalen) Tauk. In 1866, Hinrich left his native land and came to the United States, first locating in Scott county, this State, where he remained for five years. Then he removed to Jasper county, where he resided one year and in 1872, came to Tama county. He purchased 80 acres of land on section 16, of Lincoln township, where he has since resided. In 1874, he was united in wedlock with Miss Maria Schroeder, a daughter of Johann and Maria (Triebesee) Schroeder. In faith Mr. Tauk is a Lutheran; in politics he is an Independent.
H. Ludwig is a son of Johann and Elsebea Catharine (Friese) Ludwig. He was born in Schleswig, Germany, in 1842. His father died in 1872; his mother is now living with one of her sons on a farm in Schleswig. The subject of this sketch came to America in 1864, and settled in Scott county, Iowa, where he lived until 1867. He then came to Tama county and located in Spring Creek township, on section 35, where he owned 120 acres of land. In 1873, he sold and moved to Lincoln township, where he purchased 80 acres on section 16. He has since purchased 80 acres more on the same section and 40 acres on section 15, making 200 acres in all which he now owns. Mr. Ludwig votes the Independent ticket, and has held the offices of Assessor, School Director and constable. He was married, in 1871, to Mrs. Catharine D. Gotte, widow of Theodore Gotte, and daughter of P. Kleehaas. Mrs. Ludwig has one daughter by her first husband - Johannil Ernestine. They are both Lutherans in faith.
Jacob Billerbeck, a native of Holstein, Germany, was born in 1839. He is a son of Marcus and Anna (Trede) Billerbeck, who were farmers in Germany. Jacob came to America in 1865, first settling in Clinton county, Iowa, where he resided until 1875, when he came to Lincoln township, Tama county, and purchased 160 acres on section 4, where he has since resided. He now owns 360 acres of land in Lincoln township, this county, and 160 acres in Hancock county, Iowa. Mr. Billerbeck was married, December 12, 1862, to Miss Margaretsa Storfeld, a daughter of Peter and Elseabea (Rott) Storfeld. They have six children living: Henry, John, Alina, Emma, Ferdinand, Dietrich and Willie. Mr. Billerbeck is a Democrat in politics.
James McCullogh was born in 1853, and is a native of Clinton county, Iowa. His parents were John and Johanna (Cronk) McCullogh. James received his education in the schools of Clinton county and by occupation was a farmer. In February, 1873, he went into the United States Military Service, serving in Company D, Seventh Infantry, for five years. He enlisted at Dubuque, Iowa, went to Newport, Kentucky, where he remained for three months, and in April, 1873, left for Fort Benton, Montana Territory. The detachment remained there but a short time, when they were ordered to move on to Fort Shaw, Montana Territory, where they remained for two and a half years, and then went to Camp Baker, which place was the headquarters of the detachment until the expiration of Mr. McCullogh's service. After receiving his discharge, February 8, 1878, Mr. McCullogh came to Tama county, and made his home with his brother-in-law, William Porter, in Lincoln township.
Wm. Porter is a native of Ohio, born in 1851. His parents were Joshua and Martha (Rollins) Porter. William lived in Ohio, engaged in farming until 1869, when he went to Nebraska, where he resided for three years, then moved to Clinton county, Iowa. He remained in that county until 1878, when he came to Lincoln township, Tama county, and purchased 160 acres of land on section 5, in company with James McCullogh. Mr. Porter was married in 1875 to Miss Johanna McCullogh, a daughter of John and Amy (Cronk) McCullogh. They have been blessed with five children, Johnnie, James, Martha, Amy and Levi.
John Gardiner is a native of Sterlingshire, Scotland, born in 1824. His parents William and Elizabeth (Lindsay) Gardiner, were farmers in their native country. In 1852, the family came to Canada, and settled in Perth county, where the father died in 1855. The mother died in Scotland in 1849. There were six children in the family that grew to man and womanhood - Peter, William, Jane, now wife of James Murray; John, Robert and Walter. The subject of this sketch left his native country in 1849, came to Canada, and a year or two after his arrival bought a farm in Perth county, where he resided until 1878. He then came to Iowa, locating in Lincoln township, Tama county, where he now, resides on sections 2 and 3, owning 231 acres of land. Mr. Gardiner is now an Elder of the Presbyterian church of Grundy county. He was married in 1849 to Miss Margaret Gilfillan, a daughter of Moses and Jeanet (McLean) Gilfillan, natives of Sterlingshire, Scotland. Of their children, eight are living - William, of Toledo, Ohio, and principal of the public school at Ironville, Ohio; Moses, resident of Grundy county; Jeanet, wife of George Dew; John, now a resident of Lincoln township; Elizabeth, Margaret, wife of Thomas Crozier; James and Robert. Mrs. Gardiner died in Perth county, Canada, in 1874.
Claus Wiese was born in 1838, in Holstein, Germany. He is a son of Joachim and Catherine (Schlesing) Wiese, of Probstei, near Kiel, Germany. His father died in Europe in 1865; his mother in Grundy county, Iowa, in 1881. claus came to the United States in 1867, settling in Scott county, where he resided for eleven years engaged in farming. In 1878, he came to Lincoln township, this county, and purchased 240 acres of improved land on sections 23 and 14. Mr. Wiese was married in 1870 to Miss Lena Goettsch, a daughter of Peter and Bertha (Pieper) Goettsch. They have seven children: Emil, Alvine, Louis, Willie, Lilly, Addie and Hattie. Mr. Wiese is a member of the Lutheran Church. He has held various local offices and at present is serving his township as Road Supervisor.
Lincoln township was formerly a part of Spring Creek, the two townships constituting one election precinct. In the year 1861, a petition was presented to the Board of Supervisors, praying for a division and that the congressional township 86 north, range 16, west of the fifth principal meridian be set off as Lincoln township. This petition was signed by Joseph Prescott, Green Prescott, Lockhart Wilbur and S. V. R. Kelley, and was granted. The first election was held on the second Tuesday in October, 1861, at fifteen Mile Grove. At this election the following officers were chosen: S. V. R. Kelley, Justice; Jospeh Prescott, Clerk; Green Prescott and S. V. R. Kelley, Trustees. At this election there were only four votes cast. There were not enough citizens to fill all of the offices, so they were obliged to "double."
The present officers of the township are as follows: Clerk, A. E. Stewart; Justices of the Peace, Messrs. Wilcox and J. F. g. Cold; Constable and Assessor, John Lundt; Trustees, Marx H. Rehder, George Rehder and C. H. Baldwin.
John Lundt, the present Assessor and Constable of Lincoln township, was born in 1850, in Holstein, Germany. His parents, Henning and Wiebke (Matthiesen) Lundt, were farmers by occupation. Mr. Lundt came to the United States in 1868, locating near Davenport, Iowa, where he worked on a farm for five years. In 1874, he moved to Grundy county, where he remained five years, and in 1879, came to Tama county, and located in Lincoln on section 23, in 1880, on which section he now owns a farm of 160 acres. Mr. Lundt is a member of the Lutheran church. In politics he is an Independent. Mr Lundt was married in 1860, to Miss Lena Lage, a daughter of Joachim and Catherine (Speth) Lage. By this union there are two children, Anna and Harry.
FIFTEEN MILE GROVE POSTOFFICE.
This postoffice was established a number of years ago, with A. C. Brockway as postmaster. It is located at the residence of the postmaster on, section 7. It is a great convenience to the farmers, and supplies a large area with mail matter.
A. C. Brockway, postmaster of Fifteen Mile Grove postoffice, is a native of New York, born in 1839. He is a son of Samuel, Jr., and Adelia (Tiffany) Brockway. His father is a son of Samuel, Sr., and Susan (Bently) Brockway. His father was a carpenter and joiner by trade, following that business in the summer and spinning in the winter. The father was born in the State of New York, his father being Samuel Brockway, Sr., also a native of New York. Samuel Brockway, Jr., moved to Massachusetts in 1850, and has since made that State his home. Mrs. Brockway died in New York, in 1849. There were three children in the family - A. C., the subject of this sketch; Henry D., killed in Virginia during the late civil war and George E.; all of whom served in the Union army during the rebellion. A. C. Brockway received his education at the Fort Plain Seminary, in Montgomery county, New York, and leaving school, enlisted for nine months in Co. A, 49th Massachusetts volunteers, on the 1st of September, 1863, serving eleven months. He participated in the battles of Plain's store, six weeks seige of Port Hudson and at Donaldsonville, being discharged at Pittsfield on the expiration of the term of his enlistment. He came west to Tama county in the spring of 1864, residing in Lincoln township, where he followed farming and teaching until November 1865, then returned to Massachusetts. He remained there until late in 1866, during which time he took a course in the Commercial College at Rutland, Vermont. That fall he came back to Lincoln township and purchased 114 acres of land on sections 6 and 7, where he has since resided. He taught school for two winters, but made farming his chief occupation. July 1, 1867, he was appointed postmaster of fifteen Mile Grove postoffice, holding said office eight years. In politics, Mr. Brockway is a Republican, and his first vote for President was cast for Abraham Lincoln, in 1860. Mr. Brockway has been a member of the Board of Supervisors of Tama county, serving until he returned to Massachusetts in 1865, when he resigned. In October, 1864, Mr. Brockway was commissioned Second Lieutenant of the Hawkeye Battery of Tama county. He is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and at one time was a member of Grange No. 303. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Grundy Center, the minister of that church holding services at Fifteen Mile Grove school house each alternate Sabbath. Mr. Brockway was married September 19, 1866, to Miss Harriet Perry Kinney, a daughter of George and Liddie (Perry) Kinney, of New York State. They have six children - Jessie A., born March 23, 1869; Willard, born April 3, 1871; Ruth, born September 22, 1873; Annie, born January 3, 1875; Charley, born December 5, 1878; and Albert H., born October 27, 1882. Mr. Brockway has served this township in various capacities, having been Clerk, Assessor and Trustee, and in every position has proven a worth and efficient officer.
This office was established through the efforts of J. F. G. Cold, and was named after him. It was located at his house, on section 10, and for many years was depended upon by many farmers for their mail. It was discontinues a few years ago.
John F. G. Cold, who was postmaster of this office for eight years prior to its abolishment, was born in 1840, in Schleswig, Germany, and is a son of F. T. cold and Henrietta nee Bohn. His parents emigrated to America in 185=48, and located in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1871, the family came to Tama county, locating in Lincoln township, on section 14, where the mother now lives; the father having died in 1876. The subject of this sketch received his education in the public schools of Ohio, and afterward followed the wagon-maker's trade for two years. Then in 1864, he enlisted in Company A, 177th Ohio Infantry, and was discharged at Greensboro, North Carolina, on the 24th of June 1865. He participated in the battle of Wilmington. 1869, he came to Tama county, and located in Lincoln township, on section 10, where he now owns 180 acres of land. In politics, Mr. Cold is a Republican, and has held the office of School Director, being at present Justice of the Peace and Secretary of the School Board. He was also postmaster for eight years at Coldville postoffice, until the office was abolished. Mr. cold was married in 1867, to Miss Mary A. Pillatt, daughter of Francis and Mary (Wilson) Pillatt. This union has been blessed with six children, all of whom are living - Francis F., Henrietta, Willie, Elizabeth, Katie May, and Bertha.
ITEMS OF INTEREST.
The first school house in the township was at Fifteen Mile Grove. Miss Angelette King, a daughter of W. B. King, was the first teacher. This was in 1862.
F. C. Kelly, Joseph and Green Prescott were the first school directors.
Green Prescott built the first house in the township. The first religious service was held at Fifteen Mile Grove schoolhouse. Rev. Bunce, a minister of the United Brethren Church, preached the first sermon in the township.
The first child born was a daughter of George Wilbur.
The first death was Mary Prescott, a young lady seventeen years old and a daughter of Joseph Prescott.
The first postoffice was established in fifteen Mile Grove with A. C. Brockway as the first postmaster.
The first blacksmith shop was established by Green Prescott.
The first land entered in the township was in September, 1853, on section 7, the parties being from Maine and then living in Black Hawk county. During the same month the following parties entered land on section 14: S. V. R. Kelly, Hiram Kelly and Austin B. Kelly; C. F. Fenton and Joel E. Irish from New York, entered section 11.
John, born October
19, 1658 - typo in book, should be 1858