Howard township is six miles square, consisting of Congressional township 84, range 15. It is bounded on the north by Crystal, on the west by Carlton, on the south by Toledo, and on the east by Carroll townships. Along its western boundary is a heavy body of timber, six miles in width, which extends into this territory, which is of an excellent quality consisting mostly of white and red oak. On the eastern side of this timber runs a rapid stream, called Deer creek. On the east side of this creek there is a beautiful valley, averaging about three-fourths of a mile in width, and extending along with the stream easterly through the township. On the eastern boundary of this valley, commences the beautiful rolling prairies, which extend on eastward to the township line. On these prairies rise a number of small streams which empty into Deer creek. There is another stream running through the centre of the township called Jordan, which receives its water from a number of smaller streams, and has along its banks several small groves. These lands are very fertile, the soil being a dark sandy loam about two feet in depth. there are some bluffs and hills, but good soil may be found well toward the top of the highest.
There are a good many springs in this township. There is a large mill, at present owned and operated by Sol Bruner, which was erected by Christian Bruner, his father in 1854. Three miles south of the southern boundary line, is the beautiful and thriving town of Toledo, the county seat of Tama county. Nearly the whole township is under fence and in a high state of cultivation. It is settled by a good, honest and industrious class of people, who by hard toil have accumulated good comfortable surroundings. In 1880 the population was 900.
The first settlers in Howard township were the Giger's, who came in the spring of 1852. The head of the family was Samuel Giger, and there were several grown sons.
SAMUEL GIGER emigrated to Iowa in the fall of 1851, spending the first winter in Benton county. In the following spring he came to Tama county and located in Howard township. He was born in Walnut, Fairfield county, Ohio, in October, 1811. His father, Martin Giger, married M. Hite, by whom there were five children born. Mrs. Giger died in 1812, and his father married Nancy Montgomery, by whom he had thirteen children - making him the father of eighteen children - nine sons and nine daughters. The subject of this sketch was married December 1832, to Miss Fannie Haudeshill, a native of Virginia. By this union there were nine children, six of whom are living - Mary J., Sarah C., John H., Isaac F., Rebecca and Aaron M. Mr. Giger has been identified with the county for thirty years. Coming to the county poor, he went to work to make a home, and by hard work has accumulated a competency, and to-day is one of the well-to-do farmers of Howard township. Mr. and Mrs. Giger have passed their fiftieth marriage anniversary, and all those years have been active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
I. F. GIGER was born in Perry county, Ohio, December 12, 1842. His parents were Samuel and Fraces (Houdeshell) Giger, who emigrated to Tama county in 1852, locating in Howard township. I. F. was reared on his father's farm, receiving his preparatory education in the common schools. In 1863, he attended Cornell College, where he graduated with the class of 1869. In October of the same year he was married to Miss Mary Winset, a daughter of Benjamin Winset, a native of Maryland, and Mary (Davis) Winset, of Ohio. Mrs. Giger was born in Delaware county, Indiana, January 6, 1847, and emigrated to Black Hawk county, Iowa, with her parents in 1852. This union is blessed with one child - Regina, born in Bates county, Missouri, August 28, 1872. In politics, Mr. Giger is a staunch Republican. In 1872 he was nominated for the office of County Superintendent of schools, by the Anti-Monopoly party. Not wishing the office, he took no interest in the canvass and was finally beaten by a few votes. In 1864, he enlisted in the 44th Iowa Volunteers, Company D, in the one hundred days service. Mr. Giger has a farm in Howard township, consisting of 160 acres, all under good cultivation, valued at $45 per acre. For the past eight years he has turned his attention to teaching.
JOHN H. GIGER, another son of Samuel Giger, came to the county with his parents in 1852. In 1864 he was married to Rhoda E. Hammitt, a daughter of Benjamin Hammitt, who was one of the pioneers of Tama county. By this marriage there are five children living - Mary A., Estella F., Louis K., Ella Leota and Samuel A. Mr. Giger is a Republican in politics, has held the office of Township Clerk for seven years and has also been elected to several other local offices of trust within the gift of the people.
The next settler within the limits now comprising Howard, was CHRISTIAN BRUNER, who erected a cabin on section 33. The interesting details connected with the settlement of this party, will be found in connection with the history of Toledo township.
PETER OVERMIRE was one of the Bruner party coming from Ohio. He first settled on section 6, Toledo township, and was the first settler in that township. Later, he moved into Howard township, and is still one of her citizens.
Peter Overmire was born in Perry county, Ohio, February 1, 1814. He is a son of Jacob and Mary (Guinn) Overmire, who emigrated to Ohio in 1816, being among the early settlers of Perry county. Here Peter grew to manhood, receiving his eduction in the pioneer schools. When eighteen years of age he went to Sandusky county, where he became acquainted with and married Miss Elizabeth Hill, June 24, 1838. Five children have blessed this union - Eve, John F., Levi W., Silas and Mary C.
Mr. Overmire left Ohio and went to Indiana, and in the summer of 1851, emigrated to Iowa City, where he spent the winter, and in the spring of 1852, came to Tama county, settling in Toledo township, on section 6. He built a log cabin, the first erected in the township, and remained three years, when he removed to the vicinity of Monticello. In the spring of 1860, he removed to his present home, in Howard township, where he has since resided. Mr. Overmiere has a farm of eighty acres on section 19, under a good state of cultivation, valued at $40 per acre, and also owns twenty acres of timber. Mr. Overmire is a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife of the Lutheran Church.
R. A. RUNDLE came here in the fall of 1852, from Ohio, stopping for some time in Carlton township, and finally settled on section 29. He remained there until 1873, when he removed to Ohio, where he died shortly afterward.
E. G. MOLER came to Howard township in 1852, and took a claim. He is still a resident of the township.
In the spring of 1853, BENJAMIN HAMMITT, a native of Ohio, arrived, and made selection of land by taking the southeast quarter of section 20. Here he lived until the time of his death. His widow and daughter still occupy the old homestead. Benjamin Hammitt was born near Wheelilng, Virginia, July 29, 1805. He removed soon after with his parents to Ohio, where he lived until 1853, when he again removed to Howard township, Tama county. He was married to Miss Mary Overmire, May 14, 1826. Mr. and Mrs. Hammitt were the parents of twelve children, four sons and eight daughters. He joined the Baptist Church in 1840, since which time he led a consistent and exemplary Christian life. He served as Justice of the Peace for several years in Ohio, and for six years in Howard township. He was highly respected for his trustworthiness and integrity by all who knew him. After a severe and painful illness, he died Monday morning, July 19, 1880, leaving an aged widow and seven children to mourn his death.
L. F. HAMMITT came to Howard township with his parents in 1853. He is still a resident, living on the northwest quarter of section 29.
DAVID MILLER came with the Hammitt party, in 1853, and settled on the southwest quarter of section 19. He now lives on the southeast quarter of the same section.
JACOB REEDY, from Ohio, came in 1853, and settled on section 19. He lived there untl 1871, when he removed to Monticello. He is now dead.
His son, S. C. REEDY, who is still a resident of this township, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, on the 12th day of February, 1846. In 1852, his parents emigrated to Tama county, where he grew to manhood. His education was received in the pioneer schools of his adopted county. He attended his first school in a log cabin, his teacher being a Mrs. Skinner. S. C. was married on the 25th of February, 1869, to Miss Julia Hammitt, a daughter of Benjamin Hammitt, one of the early settlers of this county. She was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, November 26, 1849. By this union there were five children, four of whom are now living: Carl R., born April 29, 1873; Winfred N., born March 1, 1875; Florence M., born October 23, 1880; Roscoe R., born August 17, 1882. Mr. Reedy has a very comfortable home on the southeast quarter of section 20, Howard township.
ROBERT RAY made his appearance also in 1853, coming from Michigan. He settled on the northeast quarter of section 29, where he lived until 1878, and then removed to Kansas. In 1882, he returned to this township and settled on section 15.
In 1854, FREDERICK SPAYDE, a German, came and settled on section 32. Here he remained until the time of his death in 1880, when his family returned to Ohio.
JACOB H. TINDALL, a native of New Jersey, who came here from Ohio, entered the southwest quarter of section 18, in 1854. He built a cabin and remained one year, then went to the timber one year, spent a few months in Kansas and Missouri, and finally returned to Howard and settled on section 27, where he still resides.
PHILLIP OTTERMAN was also a settler of 1854. He was born in West Virginia, June 24 1818. His parents were Lewis and Glory (Null) Otterman, both natives of Pennsylvania. In 1831, they emigrated to Montgomery county, Indiana, and settled in a heavily timbered region. This move was made with one team of horses and a wagon, which were sold upon their arrival in Indiana for $100. With this money Philip's father purchased eighty acres of land. Here he remained a short time, then sold and purchased 160 acres of a farm and remained here till his death. Philip was reared on his father's farm, receiving his education in a school which was supported by subscriptions. Mr. Otterman was brought up to hard work. When fourteen years of age he worked out by the month through the summer season to help support the family. His forte seemed to be in the use of the axe, and he has split one thusand rails between sun and sun. there was no man that could drop a log quicker than he. In 1842, he was married to Miss Nancy Davis, of North Carolina. In September, 1854, he left Indiana in company with his brother Elisha, John Cross, L. Harrington and Ferdinand Utterback, and started out with teams for Iowa. Stopping in Brunner's timer, they camped out until they erected log cabins in which to spend the winter. During this winter Mr. Otterman hauled and prepared timber for a house and to fence his farm. In May, 1855, he moved on the place where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Otterman are the parents of ten children, seven of whom are living: Thomas, George, Johm, Martishia, Josephine, Sarah and Albina. Mr. Otterman has owned 600 acres of land in the township, but has divided it among his children. In his homestead there are 320 acres with fine and substantial buildings, plenty of fruit and valued at $45 per acre. In politics he is a strong Democrat. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
GEORGE W. OTTERMAN has been identified with Tama county for a quarter of a century. He was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, February 17, 1847. When seven years of age his parents moved to Tama, where he grew to manhood. He was married in 1868 to Miss Mary E. Peugh, a daughter of Samuel Peugh, of Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Otterman are the parents of two children, Franklin J. N. and P. Roy P. Mr Otterman has a farm of eighty acres under good cultivation, valued at $45 per acre.
JOHN SCHMITT, one of the “1854 settlers” of Howard township, was born in the kingdom of Bavaria, near the river Rhine, on the 2d day of February, 1816. When twenty-one years of age he came to America, landed at New York and from there went to Pennsylvania, where he remained a few months and then came to Muscatine county, Iowa. In 1843 he returned to his native country, remaining but a short time, and then returned again to Iowa. In 1844, he was married to Sarah Acker, who bore him two children, Edward and Augusta. He went to California in 1849, and followed mining for eighteen months and then returned to Iowa he and his wife separated. In 1854, he came to Tama county, and purchased his farm in Howard township and kept “back” for a couple of years. In 1858, he married Mrs. Eliza Emerson, widow of John Emerson, by whom he had four children: Mary P., Phoebe, Lyman and Margaret. Mr. and Mrs. Schmitt are the parents of six children: Harriet, William T., Emily, Franklin, George E. and John C. Mr. Schmitt has a fine farm of 320 acres in Howard township, valued at $45 per acre. In politics he is a Democrat.
D. K. GALLAGHER settled in Howard township in 1854, and is still here. He was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, December 16, 1831; was raised on a farm, receiving a common school education. When fourteen years of age his parents moved to Whitley county, Indiana, and in 1854, came to Tama county. In February, 1878, D. K. was married to Miss T. J. Sellers, a native of Ohio, born January 5, 1843. By this union they have had four children, three of whom are now living: Lizzie M., Charles L, and Edith. In politics Mr. Gallagher is a Republician and cast his first vote for Gen. Fremont. Mr. Gallagher has held several local offices of trust in the township.
Among others who settled here at a very early day were: P. J. Hartman, H. Howdyshell, R. Blake, E. Meyers, A. Harbaugh, D. Miller, G. Zehrung, P. and L. Otterman, William Gallagher, N. Hill, S. Bird, S. Peer, J. Strain, C. R. Ward, A. Leonard, W. C. Granger, J. Davis, B. C. Trust and others.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM GALLAGHER settled in Howard in 1856. He was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, December 13, 1803. William was reared on a farm and received his education in a school which was supported by subscription. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Kirkpatrick, December 23, 1830. Eight children have been born to them: Dan. K., William, who enlisted in the 14th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, was elected Lieutenant and afterwards was promoted to the Captaincy. He was taken prisoner at Shiloh, and lay in prison for six months. He was here exposed to all kinds of weather, and contracted diseases, from the effects of which he died at Denver, Colorado, in December, 1871; Hannah J., James S., also a soldier of the Union army, died January 24, 1866; Francis S., who died August 10, 1846; John, who died August 25, 1846; Rebecca E., who died January 16, 1863; and Randolph Lu. In 1845, Mr. Gallagher emigrated to Whitley county, Indiana, where he remained ten years. In 1855, he removed to Linn county, Iowa, and in the spring of 1856, came to Howard township, where he entered a large tract of land and opened a good farm. Mr. Gallagher has been identified with the interests of Tama county for over a quarter of a century. In December, 1876, Mrs. Gallagher died, leaving her husband and children to mourn the loss of a dutiful wife and a kind mother.
Another settler in 1856 was SAMUEL BOVENNYER. He was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, November 18, 1826. His parents were Philip and Hannah (Gohun) Bovennyer, who were married in Pennsylvania, where four of their children were born. Samuel was brought up on his father’s farm. He was married in York county, Pennsylvania, January 14, 1855, to Miss Mary Huffman, a daughter of George and Sarah (Bowen) Huffman. In 1855, they left their home in Pennsylvania for the then far west, coming by rail to Rock Island, then the terminus of the railroad. There they purchased a team and came to Tama county, by the way of Iowa City, where he purchased land of Rufus Clark, now owned by Mr. Gally. In 1856 he sold out and removed to his present farm in Howard township. Mr. and Mrs. Bovennyer are the parents of five children, four of whom are living: Sarah N, wife of Emanuel Merede: Andrew J., Ulysses G., and Samuel, jr. Mr. and Mrs. Bovennyer are hard working, honest and upright people, and, by hard work and attention to business, have accumulated a fine property, and are clased among the well-to-do farmers of the country. They have 280 acres of land in a high state of cultivation, valued at $40 per acre, and forty acres of timbered land valued at $20 per acre.
JOSEPH MATERN, one of the early settlers and prominent farmers of Howard township, was born in Alsace on the 2d day of April, 1836. When he was seven years old his parents emigrated to America, coming in a sailing vessel and being thirty-five days upon the water. They located in Muskingum county, Ohio, and in the spring of 1857, came to Tama county and settled on section 20, in Howard township, where Joseph’s father remained until his death, which occurred January 20, 1881. Joseph was married in 1879 to Miss Augusta Brecht, at Cedar Rapids. She was born in Baden, near the river Rhine, August 17, 1839. They have had born unto them, fifteen children, twelve of whom are now living—Rachel M., wife of H. Atkinson; Franklin L., John P. T., Henry, Mary, Joseph J., Albert, Philomenia E., Edward A., George Otto, Maggie A., and Gracie H. Mr. Matern has 245 acres of land, valued at $45 per acre. Mr. and Mrs Matern are members of the Catholic Church. In politics, Mr. Matern is a Democrat. Alanson H. Bailey settled in Howard township in 1858. He was born in Fort Ann, Washington county, N. Y., January 23, 1827. He is the son of Howard and
ALANSON H. BAILEY settled in Howard township in 1858. He was born in Fort Ann Washington county, N. Y. January 23, 1827. He is the son of Howard and Mary (Cutter) Bailey. When a young man he learned the wheelright's trade of his father and followed it for a number of years. November 27, 1851, he was married at Glens Falls, N. Y., to Miss Frances A. Patter, daughter of David Patter, of Hebron, Washington county, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey are the parents of one child - Mary A., now the wife of O. A. Hulett. In October, 1853, Mr. Bailey left northern New york and moved to Ogle county, Illinois, where he remained three and a half years, engaged the greater part of the time in working on the Rock River Seminary at Mount Morris. He helped make the sash by hand for 120 windows and bought some of the material that was left from the building, at the rate of five cents per foot. He hauled it to Tama county, Iowa, and used a part of it to make sash for his dwelling house. In the spring of 1857 he came to Maquoketa, Jackson county, Iowa, and from there to Tama county in June of 1858. He settled in Howard township, took up land and began making a home. At the time of his settlement here, for a distance of eleven miles from Traer to Philip Otterman's, there was but one house, which was at Baker's Grove. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey came to the county in rather limited circumstances, but by close attention to business, fair dealing, and living within their means, have accumulated considerable property, and today rank among the most prosperous farmers of the county. They now own 240 acres of land, most of which is under cultivation, valued at $45 per acre. They know by experience what privations may be met in a new country; for one year after coming to Tama county they had but one apple, and also in that time they used but fifty cents worth of sugar. Mr. Bailey is a Republican and has trained in that party since its organization. He has held several local offices of trust in the gift of the people. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey are members of the M. E. Church.
Among the arrivals during the decade between 1860 and 1870, may be mentioned the following, who are still prominent citizens and representative men: Adam Brecht, F. Goodenow, Madison Schroeder, C. A. baxter Dennis B. Gregory, H. H. Withington, A Cuthbertson and J. M Grau.
ADAM BRECHT, an enterprising farmer of Howard township, was born in Baden, near the river Rhine, July 11, 1835. When a young man, seventeen years old, his parents emigrated to this country, anding at New York city. They went from there to Cleveland, Ohio, where they remained one year. in 1858, Adam's father removed to iowa county, Iowa, where he is living at resent. At the time he landed in Cleveland, Ohio, he had but $5 in ready money and had a family of eleven children to support; today, he has a fine farm of 240 acres, with good buildings. Adam Brecht was married in October, 1860, to Miss Nancy Matern, a daughter of John Matern. She was born on the 22 d day of May, 1840. By this union there were eleven children, nine of whom are living: John H., born June 24, 1861; Edward, born October 31, 1862; Anna M., born June 1, 1864; Marcella, born October 16, 1865; Mary A., born March 12, 1870; William S., born April 9, 1872; Lawrence, born July 3, 1874; Clarence C., born July 18, 1876, and Mary T., born June 22, 1880. In 1861, Mr. Brecht came to Tama county a poor man, but he went to work with a will, and by good management has accumulated a fine property. He has 290 acres of land, 240 are under cultivation, valued at $45 per acre. The family are all members of the Catholic Church, one daughter is in the St. Francis Convent at Dubuque. In politics, Mr. Brecht is a Democrat.
FITCH GOODENOW was born May 22, 1834, in Livingston county, New York. His parents were Enos and Abagail (Cole) Goodenow. Fitch was one of a family of three sons and eight daughters, and when he was eleven years of age his parents moved to Potter county, Pennsylvania. At seventeen he came with a brother to Sterling, Whiteside county, Illinois, and hired out to work by the month on a farm. He worked at one place three years, then was engaged in breaking prairie in the summer and running a threshing machine in the fall until he had earned $700. He went into partnership and lost every cent of his earnings. In 1863, Mr. Goodenow came to Tama county, Iowa and located in Howard township, where he bought eighty acres of land on ten years time. He broke his land and fenced it going twelve miles for the posts and rails. March 13, 1860, Mr. Goodenow was married to Miss Ann C. Thompson, a native of Lee county, Illinois, born April 22, 1839. She was a daughter of John M. and Rachel Thompson. This union has been blessed with five children, three sons and two daughters: Florence E., Annette R., Charlie F., Ira E. and John T. Mr. Goodenow has been a hard working man and now has 160 acres of land, all under good cultivation and valued at $40 per acre. Mr. Goodenow is a supporter of the Democratic party, and has for his motto, do right and fear not.
MADISON SCHROEDER was born in June, 1835, in Prussia, Germany, where he was reared on a farm. In 1854, he came to America, stopping in Pennsylvania, where he worked on a farm for four years. In 1858, he came to Tama county. He was joined in marriage with Miss Margaret Matern in November, 1861. She was born in Ohio, on the 28th day of August, 1843, and came to Tama county with her parents when she was fourteen years old. By this union there were seven children, five of whom are living: Martha S., born November 29, 1863; William U., born April 24, 1865; Delbert, born October 19, 1871; Appelona C., born December 19, 1873; and Mary L., born February 6, 1881. Their first winter was spent in Toledo, where Mr. Shroeder (sic) sawed wood, and Mrs. S. did washing, by which means they raised money enough to buy the rough lumber to build their first cabin, now a portion of their comfortable home. In 1864, Mr. S. purchased his present place. He now owns 200 acres of prairie land valued at $45 per acre. He began at the foot of the ladder and has steadily gone up. During the war when prices were high, they used to grind wheat to make wheat coffee; and for three years they had only fifty cents worth of sugar in their house, using sorghum for sweetening purposes. They thus kept within their means. All of the family are (sic) members of the Catholic Church.
C. A. BAXTER was born in Chenango county, New York, October 29, 1842. His father, Augustus Baxter, was a native of Scotland; his mother, Hannah Padgett, of New York. His parents were married in Chenango county, where three of their children were born. The father, for many years, was engaged in the mercantile business, and just previous to his death he followed farming. The subject of this sketch enlisted in April, 1861, in the 13th Illinois Volunteer Infantry for three months, being discharged at the expiration of his time of service. He again enlisted in the 8th Illinois Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Ball Bluff, Warrenton Junction, seven days fight before Richmond, Malvern Hill, second battle of Bull Run, South Mountain, Anteitam, Martinsburg, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, where was severely wounded, Spottsylvania (sic) Court House, and Coal Harbor, where he left the command and was detailed at General Wilson’s headquarters, as head blacksmith, receiving a commission as Second Lieutenant. He also participated in Wilson’s Raid and the battle of Stone River, where he was again wounded, lying for five days without food and surrounded by rebels. When he was relieved he went to City Point. He was discharged at Chicago, September 28, 1864. The following fall he was married to Miss Mary J. Smith, of DeKalb county, Illinois. They have a family of five children—Henry A., Ettie M., Clara A., Cora E. and Jessie A. In the spring of 1865, Mr. Baxter came to Tama county, where he purchased land and made a home. He has 160 acres valued at $45 per acre, and nine acres of timber land valued at $15 per acre. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
DENNIS B. GREGORY was born in Fairfield county, Connecticut, January 25, 1820. His parents were Miles and Annie (Bronson) Gregory. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and his grandfathers, on both sides were participants in the Revolutionary war. Dennis B. when eighteen, left home and went to Winnebago county, Illinois. He was married at Rockford, in 1841, to Miss Harriet N. Bunker, who was born in Chenango county, New York, April, 1820. In 1856, he moved to McHenry county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. In 1859 he went to Mercer county, Missouri, and in 1861, enlisted in an independent regiment, known as Merrill’s Horse Regiment. While in the stampede at St. Charles, Missouri, he was disabled and discharged June 21, 1862, on account of disabilities. In May, 1865, he came to Tama county and located on the place where he now resides, in Howard township. He now owns 138 acres of land valued at $45 per acre. In early life Mr. Gregory supported the Democracy, but at the commencement of the war he went over to Republicanism, and has affiliated with that party ever since. Mr. and Mrs. Gregory are members of the M. E. Church.
H. H. WITHINGTON, of the firm of H. H. Withington & Son, proprietors of the Ridgeland farm, and feeders of Holstein cattle and Merino sheep, was born in Grafton county, New Hampshire, on the 21st day of January, 1829. His father, Robert Withington, was born in Hillsboro, now Merrimac county, New Hampshire, in 1807; his mother, Sally (Putney) Withington, was born in Grafton county, in 1806. They were the parents of eight children, six of whom lived to be adults, but only four are now living: Lucinda A., wife of J. A. Hurlbert, of Elroy, Wisconsin; Nathan H., of Smith county, Kansas; Emma L., wife of S. W. Durkee, Olatha, Kansas. Mr. Robert Withington is still living, at the advanced age of 76. Mrs. Withington died in 1879. The subject of this sketch, when fourteen years of age, was bound to Abraham Longfellow, who gave him a good education in the English branches, and also one hundred dollars when he reached his majority. In 1857, Mr. Withington was married in Canaan, Grafton county, New Hampshire, to Miss Lydia Ann Fellows, a daughter of Peter Fellows. She was born in Bristol, Grafton county September 23, 1834. By this union there is one son, Wallace H., who was born in Hanover, Grafton county, August 20, 1858. In 1865, Mr. Withington came to Tama county, locating in Howard township, where he turned his attention to farming and stock raising. Mr. Withington has a fine stock farm of 280 acres, valued at $45 per acre. Mr. and Mrs. Withington are members of the Free Will Baptist church, of Toledo. Mr. Withington, in politics, was a Democrat in early life, but at the time of the Kansas trouble he came over to Republicanism and has since affiliated with that party. In 1876, he was elected County supervisor and in January, 1878, was chosen chairman of the Board of Supervisors, which office he held until the expiration of his second term.
A. CUTHBERTSON, carpenter and joiner, was born in Orleans county, Vermont, January 4, 1846. His parents were Bruce and Isabella Cuthbertson. Mr. Cuthbertson when a small boy, learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner, his father being a mechanic before him. In December, 1867, he left his native State and came to Iowa for the purpose of trapping. Being pleased with the State, he concluded to make it his home. He was married to Miss martishia Otterman, a daughter of Philip Otterman, a porminent farmer of Howard township. five children have been born to them: Nancy S. Edda, Archie, George and Philip. Mr. Cutherbertson is principally occupied with his trade, hiring men to work his farm, which consists of 120 acres under cultivation, valued at $45 per acre.
J. M. GRAU was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on the 29th of September, 1843. His parents were John and Mary (Bishop) Grau. His mother died when he was a small boy. From the age of seven to eleven he lived with an uncle. At the latter age he started out on his own hook, working by the month. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the 1st Iowa, Volunteer Infantry, Company C, for three months. He served out his time and re-enlisted in the 16th Iowa, Volunteer Infantry, Company F, and participated in the folowing engagements: Iuka, where he was wounded in the right shoulder, the bullet being extracted several days later from near the spine, where it was wedged in between two ribs. The surgeon removed the bullet by cutting in and seizing it with a pair of nippers, pulling it out by main strength. He was sent to the hospital at Corinth, but was soon after removed to Keokuk, where he lay for six months, not being able to raise his head from the pillow. After receiving his wound, he was removed from the field and was placed in a room on the bare floor, with many of his poor comrades who were expected to die. There he remained until the last of his unfortunate companions had breathed their last, when he was found by a M??? of his regiment and removed to better quarters. In 1863, at the time the?? ment veteranized, he joined it and sent to the 7th army Corps, at Shanty, and participated in the campaign to Atlanta, where a large portion of command was captured, himself with rest. He soon made his escape under very dangerous circumstances. He also participated in "Sherman's March to the Se??? and in the Grand Review at Washington. Hhe was discharged at Davenport, Iowa and returned to Muscatine county, Iowa where he had previously made his home in 1853. In 1866, he was married to Miss Mary E. Burnside. By this marriage there were eight children, six of whom are living: Libbie J., born June 16, 186?, Laura A., born June 11, 1869; Frank A., born August 10, 1871, died October ? 1872; Ida May, born September 22,1873; Emma A., born May 10, 1876; Lillie A born March 16, 1878; Nellie, born March 7, 1879, died August 13, 1879, and Mary E., born April 8, 1881. In the spring of 1868, Mr. Grau came to Tama county and located in Howard township on section? where he purchased his first land with the money saved from his army wages. Mr. Grau has a farm of 280 acres in the highest state of cultivation, with good substantial buildings, and at $35 per acre. In politics he is a Republican, and at present holds the office of Justice of the Peace. His first vote for President was cast for Abraham Lincoln. Mr. and Mrs. Grau are members of the M. E. Church.
The first death in the township was AARON LEONARD, who died in the fall of 1855. His remains were laid away in the cemetery in section 33. It was the first burial in the cemetery.
The first school in the township was taught at the house of ROBERT RAY, on section 29, in 1854, by MISS SKINNER.
The first marriage in Howard was a double wedding, joining the destinies of W. T. HOLLEN and MISS SARAH BRUNER,and JOSEPH DAVIS and MISS REBECCA BRUNER. The ceremony was performed by Benjamin Hammitt, Justice of the Peace, September 17, 1854.
When Tama county was organized Howard township embraced nearly half of the county, comprising the territory which now forms the townships of Columbia, Toledo, Tama, Howard, Carroll, Otter Creek, Richland, Salt Creek, York and Oneida. The first election was held at the house of Rezin A. Redman, in April, 1853. One by one the townships named have been set off, and organization authorized by the County Judge and Board of Supervisors, until Howard township of today is left, embracing congressional township 84, range 15.
Following is given a list of those who have held the various
offices, and been most prominent in township affairs:
Justices:--Benjamin Hammitt, C. R. Ward, R. Ray, J. Fay, W. C. Granger, B. Rhoades, J. Stone, H. Dunn, W. Guilford, J. Rider, G. Burke, J. Gray, C. Baxter, H. Snodgrass, E. Carpenter, and A. Whitley.
Clerks:--D. F. Bruner, R. Ray, J. H. Granger, J. W. Rider, E. S. Beckley, D. K. Gallagher, C. C. Granger and S. W. Hawke.
Trustees:--W. C. Morrison, J. Ross, F. Davis, S. Giger, W. C. Granger, D. N. Hill, C. R. Ward, J. Stone, J. Fay, D. Miller, J. Rudy, F. Homan, H. Parker, M. Ross, J. Fuller, P. Otterman, R. Ray, G. W. McCallister, A. Harbaugh, J. H. Tindall, G. Burke, E. D. Rice, H. McAnulty, J. T. McCormick, H. H. Withington, G. T. Jones, J. Gray, J. A. Richards and J. H. Giger.
The first religious services in Howard township were held at the house of Christian Bruner, on section 33, in 1853, by a Lutheran preacher from Iowa City. The next were held at the same place by Rev. Gamon, of the Methodist Episcopal faith, in the same year. In 1854, a society of this denomination was organized at the residence of Samuel Giger, on section 29, by Rev. David Pettefish, with quite a large membership. Jackson Rindes was the first class leader. They continued to worship at private residences and school houses until 1875 when a neat church edifice was erected on section 20, which they still use. The present pastor is rev. Hiram Bailey. J. H. Giger is class leader. A Sabbath school has been organized in connection with this society, which is now in a flourishing condition, and is working much good for the cause. Samuel Crawford is Superintendent.
This was one of the very first towns platted in Tama county. It was laid out during the summer of 1853, by Christian and David F. Bruner, and Joseph Brown, upon land entered and owned by Christian Bruner and Adam Zehrung. The latter gentleman soon sold to D. F. Bruner and Joseph Brown. Forth aces were laid in lots and blocks, on section 33, Howard township, on the banks of Jordan creek. The first lots built upon were given away, and the first building was elected by Samuel Bird who came there from Maquoketa.
The first store was opened about the same time by Peter and James Brush, two brothers from Ohio. They kept a stock of general merchandise, and remained as long as the town was in existence. Joseph A. Brown and Blackman, from Marion, opened the next store and remained a long time. These were the main stores in Tama county for several years. The next store was opened in 1854, by Christian Mooney. He remained a short time, and then sold to Reedy & Company. John Matthews, now of Tama City, was in business here for some time running a shore store. Theodore Shaeffer was partner for some time. For a number of years Monticello was prosperous, and promised to become one of the leading towns of the county, but after Toledo became the county seat, and the impossibility of getting a railroad became apparent, things changed, and gradually the embryo town dropped out of sight. The business mostly went to Toledo, and the houses were moved away to adjoining towns, or the country.
A mill was built here in 1854, by Christian Bruner, which is
still being run by his son Solomon Bruner, who lives in Toledo
township. A history of it will be found in that connection.
|Tama Co. Home Page||Table of Contents||Biography List||Portrait List||Certificates||Chapter XXX|