This township contains about 23,040 acres of land, comprising all of township 82 north, range 15, west of 5th principal meridian. It is bounded on the north by Tama township, on the east by Richland, on the south by Poweshiek county, and on the west by Highland township. The northern part of the township is somewhat broken and uneven, yet under cultivation, and it contains some of the best farms in Tama county. This section of the township contains considerable natural timber, although large quantities have been cut off since the early settlement. The soil is somewhat lighter here than on the prairies, being a clay mixed with vegetable mold or decayed vegetation, and it is very productive. The success of many farmers in this part seems to add additional evidence to the claim for productiveness made by many for this class of land. The southern part of this township consists of prairie, principally, and the part south of Richland creek, greatly undulating. The soil there is a dark sandy loam, and when properly managed makes rich returns for the labor of the agriculturist. The township is well watered. The Iowa river enters the township in a number of places along the northern boundary line, and Richland creek crosses a little sough of the centre, entering on the northwest quarter of section 19, and flowing in an easternly course through sections 19, 20, 21, 28, 27, 26, 23 and 24, leaving the township from the latter section. Besides these streams there are other small creeks and good water abounds. This territory is occupied by a good class of people and contains an agricultural settlement exclusively. The nearest trading point of any size is Tama City, which adjoins on the north.


The first settlement in Columbia township was made by Eli Chase who came here in April, 1851, and settled on section 1, on Rock creek, on a farm entered by him sometime previous. He remained on this farm but a short time, but has always been a resident of the township. He now resides on section 3.

James West and family were the next to arrive. They came in May, 1851, and also settled on section 1. Three years later they moved to Johnson county, Iowa, where they still reside.

In the spring of 1852, George W. Morrison came from Iowa county and settled on section 1 where he remained several years, when he moved to Missouri, where he died in 1882.

Wheaton Chase and family came in 1858, and settled on section 4. He remained several years and then removed to Pottawattamie county, where he has since died.

Thomas Everitt came with his family in October, 1858, and settled on the northeast quarter of section 5. He remained until he died, May 7, 1872.

Joshua Burley came in the spring of 1854, and settled on the southwest quarter of section 4. He enlisted in the war of the rebellion and died at Keokuk, Iowa.

In 1854, the Stoddard family came to Columbia township and settled on section 16, which at that time was entirely owned by them. The father, WILLIAM STODDARD, was a native of Litchfield, Connecticut; the mother, Betsy (Henderson) Stoddard, a native of New Hampshire. The former is still living near Dubuque; the latter died in March, 1874. Sketches of their three sons, Leonard, William H. and Lyman H. Stoddard, who are yet prominent citizens of the township, are her presented.

LEONARD STODDARD was born in the town of Litchfield, Litchfield county, Connecticut, April 24, 1831. Leonard remained in his native county until twenty-three years of age, and while there learned and followed carpentering. He was married in Connecticut, in 1854, to Miss Lucy A. Trowbridge, a native of that State, and the same year in company with his parents came to Tama county, Iowa, and immediately took a claim of eighty acres on section 16, of Columbia township. Mr. Stoddard now owns a farm of 105 acres, one hundred of which is under improvement. In politics he is a Democrat and was the first Clerk of his township. He has three children living; Nellie C. Harriet E. and Arthur T.

CAPTAIN WILLIAM H. STODDARD is a native of Connecticut, born in Litchfield county, February 28, 1839. He came with his parents to Tama county in 1854. They settled on section 16, of Columbia township, and there the subject of our sketch has since lived. In July of 1861, he enlisted as a private, in Company C, 10th Iowa Infantry. His brother Albert raised, and was Captain of this Company, which was the first from Tama county. In January of 1862, while in Missouri, he was made Corporal; the following July, was promoted to the rank of 2d Lieutenant. In November of 1863 after the battle of Mission Ridge, he received the commission of 1st Lieutenant, and in December of 1864, while at Savannah, Georgia, was promoted to the rank of Captain, receiving his commission from governor Stone. While in service he participated in the following engagements: New Madrid and Ireland, No. 10, Missouri; seigeof Corinth, in 1862; Iuka, Mississippi; 2d siege of Corinth in 1863; Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Black River Bridge, Jackson, siege of Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, Tennessee and Columbia, South Carolina, besides other smaller battles and skirmishes. Mr. Stoddard formed one of the Sherman’s triumphant army in his march to the sea. He was mustered out of service and honorably discharged at Davenport, Iowa, in September of 1865. He then returned to Columbia township, and settled on his farm in section 16, where he now owns 130 acres. In politics, is a Democrat and has held the office of Town Trustee. He is a strong advocate of temperance. In 1866, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Elizabeth C. Eshbaugh, a native of Pennsylvania. They have six children living, George E., Bessie M., Jessie D., John H., Maud and Mary.

LYMAN H. STODDARD, another son William and Betsey (Henderson) Stoddard, was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, April 15, 1843. In 1854, he came with his parents to Tama county, Iowa, and settled in Columbia township. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the district schools of that township. In May of 1865, he enlisted in the one hundred day service, in Company K, 7th Iowa Infantry, and after serving nearly four months was honorably discharged at Davenport, Iowa. He served under Captain Norris, of Ottumwa. After the close of the war, Mr. Stoddard remained home awhile and then made an extended trip of five years duration, through the territories, after which, he returned to Columbia township and settled on section 16, where he now owns a farm of 75 acres. He votes the Democratic ticket, and has held several town offices, besides being School Director a number of terms. In 1873, he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Kendall, a native of Westminster, Vermont, and a daughter of Sanford G. Kendall, who now resides in Columbia township. Two children, Fred and Bertha, bless this union.

JOHN WALZ was a settler of 1854. He was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in October, 1827. When twenty years old he left his native country for America. He landed at New York city and soon after settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania, where he remained six years working at his trade of stone cutting. From there he removed to West Virginia, and in 1854, came to Tama county and purchased 160 acres on section 12, of Columbia township. Since that time Mr. Walz has added to his farm until he now owns nearly 500 acres, all of which is under fence. Mr. Walz has held the offices of Trustee and School Director. In 1853, he was married to Potenzie Mink, a native of Germany. Eight children were born to them, five of whom are now living, George, Albert, Matilda, Mary and William. Mrs. Walz died in January, 1871. Mr. Walz was again married in 1871. Mr. Walz was again married in 1871, to Mrs. Susanna Frederick, a native of Ohio. She had been twice married before becoming the wife of Mr. Walz, her fist husbands name being Mitchell, by whom she had two children, William and Amanda. By her second husband she also had two children, Amelia and Carlotta.

REINHARD METZ came to Columbia township in March, 1854, and is still a prominent citizen of this vicinity. He was born in Baden, Germany, August 8, 1824. He emigrated to America in 1847, and first settled in Blair county, Pennsylvania, and subsequently, in Allegheny county. Later, he was engaged in boating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and afterwards located in Taylor county, West Virginia, where, in December, of 1853, he was married to Victoria Mink, a native of Wurtemburg, Germany. In March, 1854, he came west to Tama cunty, Iowa, and bought a farm of 80 acres in Columbia township. He now owns 180 acres, all of which is under fence. Mr. Metz has held the office of School Director. In August, of 1862, he answered the President’s call for 500,000, by enlisting in Company F, 28th Iowa Infantry. While in service he participated in the following battles: Port Gibson, Miss., May1, 1863; Champion Hills, May 16, 1863; Edwards’ Station, May 12, 1863; siege of Vicksburg, May 22 to July 4, 1863; Yellow Bayou, La., May 19, 1864; Sabine Cross Roads, April 8, 1864; Cane River, April 24, 1864; Middle Bayou, May 8, 1864; Mansura, April 16, 1864; Fisher’s Hill, Va., September 22, 1864; Opequaw, Va., Sept. 19, 1864; Cedar Creek, Va., Oct. 19, 1864. He was honorably discharged at Savannah, Georgia, July 31, 1865, and returned to Columbia township, where he has since been engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Metz have eight children living: Eliza, Benedict, Anthony, Pauline, Matilda, William, Minnie and Edward.

WILLIAM H. CROSKREY, was a pioneer of 1855. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, January1, 1821. Soon after his birth the family removed to Muskingum county of that State, and there the subject of our sketch passed his youth and the first years of his manhood. During the fall of 1855, he came to Tama county, Iowa, and settled on section 7 of Columbia township, where he now owns 236 acres of land, nearly all of which is under cultivation. He votes the Republican ticket. On 26th of January, 1864, Mr. Coskrey was joined in wedlock with Miss Rachel J. McGrew, a native of Tuscarawas county, Ohio. Eight children have been born to them, seven of whom are living: Robert Joseph H., Mary A., James F., Levi S., Emeline and Olive. Their daughter Anna died when five months old.

In 1855 CHRISTOPHER SPIRE became a settler of Columbia township. He is a native of Gloucestershire, England, born on the 3d of February, 1823. He is a son of Jeremiah and Ann (Hardin) Spire. His early life was spent on a farm in his native country, and in 1848 he came to America. In 1844 he was married to Miss Sarah Shayler, also a native of England. Upon their arrival in this country they located at Glens Falls, New York, where they remained some time and then spent six years in Ohio. In 1855, they came to Tama county, settling in Columbia township, where Mr. Spire entered a farm of 120 acres on section 24. He now owns 280 acres in this county. In 1872, he settled on section 25, where he now has a fine farm. He has taken an active part in town affairs, having held several offices of trust. Six children blessed their union, tow only of whom are living – Richard and Amy Ann, now wife of George Miller. Several good stories are told by Mr. Spire of his early life in this State. Upon arrival, he was very ignorant as regards the ways of America. One day after having been gone some hours, he returned to a neighbor’s house, where he was temporarily staying, and noticing that he appeared very much cast down, his neighbor asked what the trouble was. Mr. Spire’s answer was that he could not find his land. The neighbor informed him that there was nothing strange in that, as he would have to have it surveyed before he would know just where it was. Accordingly a surveyor was engaged and came to survey it. In doing this, as Mr. Spire says, “He went directly to a stone, set his compass, and told me to take the chain and go ahead, and go in a hurry. After going south a ways, we turned and went west, then south, then east to the place of starting. The surveyor then folded up his traps, saying, that “’twas done.” I said to myself, “that man’s a fool! He knows no more about where my land is than I do? Still I felt certain it was in that neighborhood, and I accordingly built my house as near the center as possible to be certain I was on my own farm.” Several years later, Mr. Spire had it surveyed again, when it was proven beyond a doubt that he was on his own land. See Reminiscence chapter for further details.

After 1854, the settlers came in more rapidly. Among those who have come in since that time and who are still here, may be mentioned James Trowbridge, J. Hoag, William F. Eshbaugh, J. A. Eshbaugh, Frank Eshbaugh, Moses Pickett, John Cory, William Cory, Capt. J. H. Lauderdale, William G. Malin, Thomas M. Malin, George M. Malin, John Doyle, Samuel Sexton, J. W. Flathers, W. Leonard, G. A. Hutchison, William Hartsock, J. H. Smith, James Phillips, Martin Kemp, Robert Powers and E. G. Carpenter.

JAMES TROWBRIDGE is a native of Litchfield, Litchfield county, Connecticut, where he was born March 11, 1819. His parents were James and Lucy (Parmalee) Trowbridge, both natives of Litchfield county. James is one of the ninth generation of Trowbridges, originally from England. He received a common school education, and when sixteen years of age began learning the tailor’s trade, which occupation he followed while in that State. Early in March, 1856, he started west, and after spending two weeks on the road, arrived in Tama county, Iowa, on the 24th of the month. He immediately settled on section 16 of Columbia township, on land purchased for him by Leonard Stoddard. He now owns 80 acres on this section. Mr. Trowbridge belongs to the Republican party. He is at present a Trustee of the town, and at different intervals has held other offices of trust. During 1853 he was joined in wedlock with Miss Julia Munger, a native of Litchfield,Connecticut, and a daughter of Truman and Margaret L. (Hart) Munger. They have two children living – Charles H. and Lillian E.

JOEL HOAG was born in Greenfield, Ulster county, New York, on the 14th of July, 1809. He is a son of Elisha W. and Lydia Hoag. His father was born in New York State and his mother in Massachusetts. Soon after Joel’s birth, the family removed to the eastern part of Pennsylvania and subsequently to Ohio. His educational advantages were very limited, but he inherited a taste for study from his parents, who were well educated people and had been teachers; he, therefore, by diligent application to his books during leisure hours, acquired a good education in the English branches. He remained in Ohio until 1853 and while there made farming his principal business. During 1853 he made a trip to Tama county, Iowa, and in December of that year entered a farm in Richland township. He then returned to Ohio and 1856 came here for the purpose of making a permanent settlement. He lived in Richland township until August, 1859, at which time he came to his present location, on section 23, of Columbia township. In politics, he was formerly a Whig and became a Republican with the formation of that party. Mr. Hoag has held the office of Clerk in Richland and Trustee in Columbia township. He has always taken a very active interest in educational affairs and has held several school offices. During 1857 he was joined in wedlock with Miss Margaret Jane Beale, a native of Butler county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of John and Jane Beale, also of that county. She came to Iowa with her parents in 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Hoag belong to the Society of Friends and are members of the Hicksite denomination. They have seven children living—Benjamin Franklin, Lydia, wife of L. C. Nobel, a member of the Board of Trade of Chicago; Elisha W. B., Theodore Appleton, Ira, Ann Dillia and Nellie.

WM. F. ESHBAUGH is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Northumbrland county of that State on the 7th of February, 1842. His parents are J. A. and Mary (Follmer) Eshbaugh. In 1850 he removed with his parents to New York State. He was reared on a farm and attended the district schools near his home during the winter months, until fifteen years of age; after which, he attended the University at Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, six months, and subsequently spent the same length of time at the academy in Wilson, Niagara county, New York. During 1859 he came to Tama county with his parents, and at the time intended to see his parents settled here, and then complete his studies in the east; however, the opportunity never offered itself. In the spring of 1860 he began farming, and August 15, 1861, enlisted at Marshalltown company B, 2d Iowa Cavalry, as a private. Later, he became a bugler and served as such until he enlisted as a veteran in 1863. In July of 1862 he was taken prisoner at Booneville, Mississippi and confined in the prisons of Mol____ Macon and Libby, until November __, 1862, when he was paroled, and near the last of the year exchanged. Previously at the time of Mr. Eshbaugh’s imprisonment he was in several skirmishes and engagements, and had a number of narrow escapes—at one time having his horse shot from under him. He participated in the entire siege of Corinth and was employed in skirmishing on the line of road from Memphis to that place. Upon return to his regiment, he was in the engagements at Palo Alto, Birmingham, Colli___ville, Coldwater, Salisbury and Mose___ also on the Soag Smith raid in February, 1863. Subsequently, he participated in the battles of Old Town Creek, Tope__ Hurricane Creek, Lawrenceville, and ___ engagement at Nashville, Tennessee. August 15, 1865, he was discharged at Nashville on account of disability, and he never since entirely recovered his health. For several years after leaving the army Mr. Eshbaugh could do but little work of any kind. He now lives on section ___ where he owns a fine farm of 200 acres. In politics, he is a staunch Republican and has held the office of Town Trustee three years, the office of Justice of the Peace five years, besides having been Town Assessor. During 1866 he was united in marriage with Miss Emma B__ley, of Columbia township. Eight children were born to them, six of whom are living: Alice, Ned, Lois, Blanche, Merle and an infant. The family are members of the M. E. Church.

JOHN A. ESHBAUGH is a son of Anthony and Barbara (Roming) Eshbaugh, born July 24, 1819, in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania. The father died when John was fourteen years old. He lived on the farm until 1836, then went to Columbia county, same State, where he remained but one year, then returned to his native county, and shortly after, again removed to Columbia county. While making those changes, John worked by the month at farm work. In 1840 he was married to Miss Mary Follmer, a native of Pennsylkvania. Nine children have been born unto them, six of whom are now living—William F., Francis, Caroline, now wife of Wm. H. Stoddard; Susan B., Daniel O. and Charles H. Columbia county was subsequently divided, and Mr. Eshbaugh lived in that part which became Montour county. The following ten years after his marriage were spent in Monour and Northumberland counties, after which he removed to New York, where he remained until 1859, then came to Tama county, this State. He spent one winter in Toledo, and then moved into a log cabin situated one mile west of his present farm. In 1863, Mr. Eshbaugh settled on his present place on section 17, of Columbia township, where he now owns 120 acres of land. For the past six years Mr. Eshbaugh has been suffering severely with rheumatism.

FRANK ESHBAUGH is a native of Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, where he was born October 19, 1843. Soon after his birth the family removed to Niagara county, New York. There he remained until 1859, at which time he came to Tama county, Iowa, with his parents. During October of 1862, he enlisted in Company F., Sixth Iowa Cavalry, under General Sully, and served against the Indians. In 1863 he was with the noted Captain Fisk party, and had many hair-breadth escapes from the red men. He was honorably discharged at Davenport, Iowa, November 1, 1865. Mr. Eshbaugh then returned to Columbia township and engaged in farming. He now owns a fine farm of 120 acres in section 18. At present he is one of the Trustees of the town. March 1, 1870, his marriage to Miss Emergene Tomlinson, occurred. Three children have been born to them, but only one, a daughter, Grace, is now living.

MOSES PICKETT settled in Richland township, Tama county, in 1856. He is a native of Ohio, born in Knox county, in September, 1833. His parents are William and Margaret (Sofa) Pickett. Soon after his birth the family removed to Bureau county, Illinois, and there Moses passed his youth and early manhood. He was reared on a farm, and as his fathr lived on the frontier there was but little time or chance for attending school. Mr. Pickett remained in Bureau county, occupied in farming, until March, 1856, at which time, as stated, he removed to Richland township, this county. There he entered a farm of 80 acres on section 7, which he partly improved and then sold. In March of 1861, he came to Columbia township, settling on section 26, where he owns 640 acres of land valued at $35 per acre. In politics he is a Republican. His marriage with Miss Mary Gray, a native of Indiana, occurred in 1859. They have two children living: Luella S. and Wallace.

JOHN CORY was born in Cornwall, England, on the 20th of November, 1831, and July 1, 1849, he, in company with his mother and family, left Old England, and after a long and stormy voyage of fifty-four days landed in New York city, August 23. The father had preceded them the yer before. Their first winter in this country was spent in Jefferson county, Ohio, after which they settled in Belmont county of the same State. John remained in that county engaged in farming until 1862, at which time he came to Iowa. He first settled on section 24, of Columbia township, where he remained two years and then removed to section 25. During 1869, he purchased and settled on a farm on section 26. Mr. Cory now owns 240 acres of land, 160 acres of it being on section 26—his present home—and under cultivation; the remaining 80 acres lie on section 24, and 50 acres of that are also under improvement. In politics he is a Republican and has held the office of Township Trustee. He is a strong advocate of temperance. In 1852, he was joined in matrimony with Miss Mary E. Yates, a native of Ohio. They have six children: William H., Charles E., Joseph H., Francis W., Anna E. and Mary M. The family are members of the Society of Friends.

WILLIAM CORY is a native of England, and was born in Cornwall, June 2, 1839. His parents were Henry and Mary (Rowe) Cory, natives of England. The family came to America in 1846, and the first located in Jefferson county, Ohio; later they removed to Belmont county, and in 1856, settled in Henry county, Illinois. William’s early life was spent on the farm and his education was obtained in the district schools of that day. In 1857, they removed to Clark county, Missouri, and there Mr. Cory was engaged in farming until 1863, at which time he came north to Tama county, Iowa. He purchased and settled on a farm of 40 acres on section 23, of Columbia township, and now owns 160 acres in the township, all of which is under cultivation. In politics he was formerly a Republican, having cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln; but at the second election of U. S. Gran, went over to the Greenback party. Mr. Cory held the office of Township Clerk two terms and had the honor of being the first Republican elected to said office; he was also the second Republican of his township elected to the office of County Supervisor, in which capacity he represented Columbia two years. He was Justice of the Poeace eight years. In February of 1861 he was united in marriage with Miss Mary S. Peck, a native of Porter county, Indiana. Nine children have blessed their union: Martha A., Samuel A., Henry D., Mary E., John and Ella D. (twins) William, Benjamin and Inez. Their daughter, Ella D., is now deceased, Mr. and Mrs. Cory are membrs of the M. E. Church.

Captain J. H. LAUDERDALE, one of the largest farmers of Columbia township, is a native of Livingstone county, New York, where he was born March 21, 1828. Shortly after his birth the family removed to Genesee county, that State. There he grew to manhood on a farm and at the age of twenty-two removed to Walworth

county, Wisconsin, where he purchased a mill and engaged in the milling business in connection with farming. During the fall of 1861, he raised Company I, of the 13th Wisconsin Volunteers, and served as Captain of that company nearly two years. He was then honorably discharged on account of sickness, having been taken with an attack of hemorrhage of the lungs. Mr. Lauderdale spent the winter of 1863-4 in Wisconsin, and the following spring came to Tama county, Iowa, and located on section 19, of Columbia township. He now owns 400 acres in one body and a timbered lot on the Iowa river. In politics, he is a Republican and has held the office of County Supervisor, besides several of the township offices.

Thomas M. Malin, an enterprising farmer of Columbia township, was born in Belmont county, Ohio, May 21, 1824. His parents were Minshall and Julia A. (Barton) Malin, natives of Pennsylvania. In early life he received a fair common school education, and later, learned the carpenter trade of his father, which occupation he followed until 1862, when he became engaged in farming. During the spring of 1866, the subject of our sketch removed to Tama county, Iowa, and immediately located on section 14, of Columbia township, where he now owns a farm of 120 acres, eighty acres of which is under cultivation and the rest is timber. In politics he is a Greenbacker and is a strong advocate of soft money. He has held the offices of Township Trustee, Justice of the Peace and School Director. Mr Malin was married, in 1849, to Miss Martha J. Yocum, also a native of Belmont county, Ohio. She is a daughter of Mark and Mary (Street) Yocum, natives of the same county. They have eight children living: George M., Mary E., Emma J., Laura W. A., Elmer M., William Ellis, Ana V. and Rachel C.

Geo. M. Malin, a son of Thomas and Martha Jane (Yocum) Malin, is a native of Ohio, born in Belmont county, of that State, July 24, 1851. During the spring of 1866, he removed, with his parents, to Tama county, Iowa. He received a common school education, and after his settlement in this county, spent four winters in teaching--his first school being in district No. 6, of Columbia towhship. In the fall of 1876, he was married to Miss Amy Spire, daughter of Christopher Spire. The following year Mr Malin removed to his present place, where he now owns 160 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs Malin have three children living---Mabel F., Ellis C. and Thomas M. In politics, Mr. Malin is a Republican.

John Doyle was born in county Wexford, Ireland, in October, 1834. During 1853 he came to America, and first settled in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, where he soon engaged in farming. In 1865 he removed to Scott county, Iowa, and at the end of three years, came to Tama county, settling on section 28, Columbia township, where he now lives on a fine farm of 200 acres. Mr. Doyle was married i 1861, to Miss Ellen Enright, a native of Ireland, and born in 1836. they have ten children living---Annie, born July 31, 1862; Michael, born February 14, 1864; Maggie, born August, 7, 1865; John, born February 3, 1867; Maurice, born March 31, 1869; Peter, born August 28, 1871; Dennis, born October 5, 1873; Martin, born November, 19, 1875; Mary, born October 28, 1877; Stephen E., born May 22, 1881.

Lemuel Sexton, a son of Enoch and Elizabeth (Wood) Sexton, was born in Madison county, Indiana, on the 18th of March, 1833. He was reared on a farm and received a good common school education. Mr. Sexton remained in his native county until thirty-two years of age, with the exception of two years spent in Grant county, of that State. During the spring of 1865, he removed to Tama county, and the following year purchased a farm, which he afterwards sold. In 1868 he settled on section 33, Columbia township, where he now owns 82 acres of land. In politics he is a Democrat and has held the office of Township Trustee five years. Mr. Sexton was maried in 1855 to Miss Nancy Lucas, a native of Ohio. She died in 1863. He was again married in 1870 to Angeline Ward, a native of Indiana. They have two children living: Charles and Emma.

The following brief history of Honorable William Hartsock, is a fine illlustration of what self-reliance can accomplish under discouraging circumstances. William Hartsock is a native of Knox county, Ohio, born May 20, 1852. His grandfather was born in 1749, in the city or fortness of Kehl, in the grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, and emigrated to America in 1753. William's father was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania. william's mother was Miss Amy Cox, a grand-niece of Dr Benjamin Rush, who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and was a descendant of an officer of that name in Cromwell's army. His father was a wealthy farmer, and owned extensive mill property, but he engaged in an unlucky enterprise, that of shipping flour from Brownsville, Pennsylvania, to New Orleans. In this he was not successful, as the flour spoiled in transportation. Having lost most of his property, he gathered up what he had left and came to Knox county, Ohio. Here William was born in 1825. When he was twelve years of age his father realizing the fact that an old settled country was not the place for a poor man, very wisely concluded to emigrate to Illinois, and settled in Green county of that State. William remained with his parents on the farm, having only educational privileges of very inferior district schools during the winter months. Here his father died in the fifty-first year of his age, without having accumulated much property. After the Black Hawk purchase, when the excitement ran high for cheap lands, immigrants came on horse back, in wagons and every way except on railroad, to secure land in the new Territory. Young William, who was then seventeen years of age, started on horse back to what is now the great State of Iowa. He crossed the Mississippi river at Burlington on the 7th of April. When eight miles north of that place, he was overtaken in a heavy hail-storm, and seeing a cabin in the distance, attempted to reach it. The storm became so severe that he had to dismount, his horse became unmanageable and got away, taking with him William's entire outfit, which consisted of an axe and iron wedge which he was carrying in a pair of old fashioned saddle bags. On reaching the cabin, the pioneer told him there was another settler about four miles further on the road, and the horse would probably stop there. After partaking of the kind hospitalities of the pioneer, the next morning he started in search of his horse which he found at the place suggested by his host. He took a claim in his mother's name nine miles southwest of Iowa City. After making some rude imporvements he went and moved his mother and family, with a team consisting of one yoke of cattle, to their new home. After the struggle common to pioneer life, they finally secured a title from the Government to their home. As money was scarce and employment that would command money, hard to obtain, he concluded to try steam-boating, which occupation he followed for two years on the upper Mississippi and Ohio rivers. In 1853 he was married and moved still farther west, settling in Keokuk county, on a farm which he had purchased in 1850. While a resident of Keokuk, Mr. Hatsock made many friends, and in the fall of 1867, was elected by the Republican party to the office of Representative by a large majority; a position which he held one term giving satisfaction to his supporters. In the spring of 1870, Mr. Hartsock and family came to Tama county and settled in Columbia township, since which time he has been engaed in farming. Throughout his life he has endeavored to maintain a high standing as a man of high moral integrity, always realizing that a clear head, a strong hand, and an honest purpose would always insure success. His habits have been srictly terperate, and he was an earnest advocate of the constitutional amendmaent, as voted for by the people of Iowa, June 27, 1882. He has been a member of the Christian Church for many years. Mr. Hatsock was first married to Miss Catharine Heaton, of Clarksville, Pennsylvania, with whom he lived until November 26, 1868, when she died, leaving him the care of five children, three daughters and two sons, and in 1869, he was married to Mrs. A. A. Biggs, a widow, who is his present wife. Mr. Hartsock has a happy home with all the conveniences of the modern farmer.

J. H. Smith is a son of John B. and Sarah (Hoover) Smith, and was born in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, June 24, 1826. He lived in his native county until about thirteen years of age and then removed to Indana county of that State, where he grew to mahood, after which, he returned to Clearfield county, and there remained until 1862. At that date, Mr. Smith came to Iowa, and located in Scott county, where he followed farming until 1870, then came to Tama county and settled on his present farm on section 34, Columbia township, where he now owns 240 acres. He has held the offices of School Director and Town Trustee. Mr. Smith's second marriage occurred in 1862, at which time Miss Phoebe Patterson became his wife. She was born in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, April 29, 1838, and is a daughter of John and Nancy (Ray) Patterson. Nine children have been born to them: Sarah A., born October 8, 1863; Luella M., born May 1, 1865; Rebecca I. H., born December 8, 1867; Luranda H., born September 11, 1868; Clara A., born June 10, 1870; Morris H., born January 29, 1872; Eva D., born December 9, 1874; Walter J., born June 24, 1876, and died August 16, 1876; Lucretia E., born September 6, 1879.

James Phillips is a native of New Hampshire, and was born in the town of Roxbury, Cheshire county, July 27, 1807. His parents were Leavitt and Mary (Hinds) Phillips. James was reared on a farm and received his education in the common schools of Roxbury. When twenty-three years old, he removed to Chautauqua county, New York, where he lived fourteen years and then located in Erie county, Pennsylvania. There he engaged in farming until his removal to Tama county, Iowa, in 1858. Mr Phillips first bought a farm of 160 acres in Howard township, but soon sold it and purchased one in Toledo township, two and a half miles west of Toledo village. He farmed there thirteen years and then settled on section 15, of Columbia, where he has since resided. His first marriage occurred in 1829, at which time he was united with Miss Louisa Hinds. She bore him five children, four of whom are now living, Henry, Jessie, Thomas and Louisa, and died in 1840. Mr Phillips was again married in 1841, choosing for a help-meet, Miss Emily Woodruff. three children were born to them, two of whom are living, William and Elizabeth. This wife died in 1856. The following year he led to the alter Louisa Jane Kelly, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one child living, George.

Martin Keup was born in Bavaria, August 9, 1824. His youth and early manhood were spent on a farm in his native country. During 1853, he came to America and first settled at Princeton, Bureau county, Illinois, where he spent six years working in a brick yard, and then purchased a farm of 40 acres, upon which he lived until his removal to Tama county, Iowa in 1873. He settled on section 29, Columbia township, where he now owns an excellent farm of 192 acres, all of which is under cultivation. Mr Keup was joined in wedlock, in 1857, with Eliza Shmoll, who bore him nine chldren, eight of whom are living: Catharine, Andrew, Mary , Eliza, Annie , George, William and Eva. She died on the 4th of March, 1876. The subject of this sketch again married, April 19, 1877, choosing for a wife Elizabeth Sanderhee, who was born at Hanover, Germany.

Robert M. Powers is a native of Illinois, born in Hancock county, of that State, December 11, 1856. He is a son of Abner and Martha E. (Strong) Powers. In 1869 the family removed to Iowa county, Iowa, where they settled on a farm. After receiving a good common school education, the subject of this sketch attended Iowa College one term. In 1873 his parents came to Tama county, locating on a farm in Columbia township, where his father died in 1878; his mother still lives. Mr. Powers taught his first term of school during he winer of 1876-7, at school No. 7, of Wheatland township, Carroll county. Since that term he has been constantly teaching in the winter, with the exception of the winter of 1879-80. He is now holding a term of school at No. 8, Columbia township.

Application was made on the 5th day of February 1856, by Joshua Burley, that the township of Richland be divided and a new one formed to be called Columbia, and it was so ordered by the County Court, containing township 82, range 15, westof 5th principal meridian. The first election was held at the house of Joshua Burley, on the 7th day of April, 1856, with the following result: Milton C. Gettis and Henry C. Morrison, Constables; John D. Gettis, George W. Morrison and George H. Stoddard, Trustees; Leonard Stoddard, Clerk; William T. Hawley, Assessor. There were 21 votes polled.

Following is the record of elections since that time:

April 6, 1857, Joseph Lufkin and John W. Coe, Constables; Leonard Stoddard, Clerk; Joseph L. Croskrey, Supervisor: George W. Morrison, James Trowbridge and John W. Coe, Turstees.

1858---George W. Morrison, James Trowbridge and Wm. Thompson,, Ttustees; Leonard Stoddard, Clerk.

1859---Isaac Toland, Justice; Milton C. Gettis and Samuel A. King, Constables; John Walz, Wm Stoddard and John Fife, Trustees; George W. Morrison, Assessor; Leonard Stoddard, Clerk.

1860---Isaac Toland, Supervisor; H. L. Biggs, S. I. Cady and John Fife, Trustees; Leonard Stodddard, Clerk; Wm Thompson, Assessor.

1861---Joel Hoag, Geo. W. Morrison and Jocob Croskrey, Trustees; C. J. Rhoades, Clerk; Leonard Stoddard, Assessor; C J Rhoades and Leonard Stoddard, Constables.

1862---Joel Hoag, G. W. Morrison and Jacob Croskrey, Trustees; G. W. Morrison, Supervisor; Madison Bostwick and C. J. Rhoades, Justices of the Peace; L Stoddard, Clerk; James Trowbridge, Assessor; John Walz and C. R. Blake, Constables.

1863---Joel Hoag, G. W. Morrison and Jacob Croskrey, Trustees; L. Stoddard, Clerk; John A. Eshbaugh, Assessor; C. J. Rhoades and E. C Rhoades, Constables.

1864---John Ross, Suprevisor; Joseph Yates and John A. Eshbauh, Justices of the peace; thomas Watts and Sylvester Phillips, Constables; Wm. Cory, Clerk; Joel Hoag, John Cory and James Trowbridge, Trustees; James Trowbridge, Assessor.

1865---Joseph Lufkin, Constable; James Trowbridge, Assessor; Wm. Stoddard, John ross and Joel Hoag, Trustees; Wm. Cory, Clerk.

1866---Wm. Cory, Supervisor; A. H. Gray and Joel Hoag, Justices; Isaac Toland, Henry Cory and Joel Hoag, Trustees; W. G. Malin, Clerk; James Trowbridge, Assessor; Fred Sanborn and W. F. Burley, Constables.

1867---James Trowbridge, T. M. Malin and N. Randolph, Trustees; Henry Cory, Assessor; W. G. Malin, Clerk; B. C. Berry and Isaac Toland, Justices;
Fred Sanborn and W. F. Burley, Constables.

1868---James Wilkinson, Supervisor; B.C Berry and James Wilkinson, Justices; James Trowbridge, F. M. Malin and l. C. Robb, Trustees; A. H. Gray, Collector; James Trowbridge, Assessor; W. G. Malin, Clerk; fred Sanborn and Leonard Stoddard, Constables.

1869---t. M Malin, Justice; T. M. Malin, wm. Stodard and W. F. Eshbaugh, Trustees; John Cory, Assessor; W. G. Malin, Clerk; Albert Cory and Joel Hoag, Constables, Justices; Fred Sanborn and Wl F. Burley, Constables.

Tama Co. Home Page Table of Contents Biography List Portrait List Certificates Chapter XXV