This is a full congressional township, embracing township 85, range 13. It is situated in the eastern tier of Tama county townships, and is bounded by Geneseo on the north, Perry on the west, Oneida on the south, and Benton county on the east. There are three small streams having source in this township; two of them, flowing toward the south, are branches of Salt creek, and make confluence in Oneida township; the other, Rock creek, flows toward the east, and leaves the township on section 1.
There is one railroad passing through the township in the center from east to west - the B., C. R. & N. R. R.
The surface of this territory lies gently undulating, or nearly level. The soil is mostly a dark sandy loam and there is very little of any natural timber within its boundaries. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and mostly Americans, with a considerable settlement of Germans. The town of Dysart is located in this township and receives due attention elsewhere.
The first settlement in what is now Clark township was made by CHARLES UNGER and family, July 13, 1855, upon the southwest quarter of the northeast quarter of section 1. Here Mr. Unger erected a little log cabin, which was the first in the township. He still resides in the township.
G. W. BRADLEY, a native of Massachusetts, came during the year of 1855, and entered the northeast quarter of section 8. He was a single man, and "boardedround" until 1862, when he was married and moved into the house which he had erected upon his farm. He remained here until 1864, when he sold and removed to Black Hawk county. He is now dead.
ASABEL PARMENTER and family came to Clark township in 1855, and located on the southwest quarter of section 1, where he died in 1860.
JOSEPH DYSART came in 1855, and entered the whole of section 24. He commenced to improve in 1858, but did not make actual settlement until 1863.
On the 26th of May, 1856, David Torrence and family settled upon land on section 9, where they erected a house. In May, 1855, Mr. Torrence came from Jones county and entered the land. In September, of the same year, he hauled some lumber to his future home, and put up hay which was spoiled by rain. In May, 1856, he made actual settlement. He now lives in Traer.
During the summer of 1856, Joseph Moss and family arrived, coming from Benton county, settling on section 18. They were natives of Ohio, and Mr. and Mrs. Moss were usually called "father" and "mother". They moved from here to Perry township, and later to Vinton, where they both died.
NEWTON MILLER settled in Clark township in 1855. In the chapter upon "Early Days" will be found a reminiscence written by Mr. Miller, giving the details of his early settlement, and the death of his wife by a prairie fire.
P. P. WENTCH was a settler of 1857, making his selection on section 6, where he still lives. He was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, June 29, 1822. He came to America in 1851 and worked on a farm in Connecticut for eighteen months; then came west to Huron county, Ohio, where he remained until 1854, at which time he came to Tama county and located in Buckingham township. Three years later he settled in Clark township, where he has since resided. Mr. Wentch is one of the large land owners of this part of the county, his farm consisting of 460 acres in a high state of cultivation. He has always taken an active part in politics, having held several of the township offices. In 1852, he was joined in matrimony with Miss C. B. Reitter, a native of Germany. They have nine children; Catharine, Mary, George F., John H., Louise, Julia Ann, May Bell, Joseph P. and Wallace W.
ANDREW BOYLAN came in 1859, and made settlement on section 4, where he remained until 1865, when he moved to Buckingham township. He now lives in Traer.
T. S. TALMAGE also came in 1859, and located on section 11, where he still lives. He is a native of Greene county, New York, born January 27, 1834. He is a son of Henry and Jane A. (Reed) Talmage. His father was a physician and was born in Vermont. His mother was a native of New York State. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm in his native county and there received a part of his education at Greenville Academy. Upon removing to the State of Wisconsin, in 1856, he attended Beloit College. After completing his education he traveled for two seasons through Illinois as agent for J. H. Manning & Company, the celebrated reaper manufacturers. The winters of said years were spent in teaching. In April of 1859, he came to Tama county and immediately settled on his present place - section 11, in Clark township- which land he had previously purchased. The whole journey from southern Illinois to this county was made by Mr. Talmage on horseback. In policits he is a Republican and was the first County Supervisor from this township, which office he held three years. He has held nearly all of the township offices and was Clerk of the same for the long period of twelve years. He is a member of, and was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian Church at Dysart. He is a member of the Iowa legion of Honor. Mr. Talmage was united in marriage, in 1861, with Miss Eliza A. Howe, a native of Girard, Erie county, Pennsylvania. Four children have blessed this union: Jennie R., Hattie B., Charles H. and Harry H., who died January 12, 1881, at the age of six years, seven months and nine days.
STEPHEN R. HUNT came in 1860, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 14. He remained here until 1880, when he moved to Kansas, where he still lives.
The settlement of Clark township was slow, the cause being the lack of timber. Among those who have come in since the date last mentioned, and have been, or are now, prominent citizens of Clark townhsip, may be mentioned; James Enderton, Hugh Calderwood, John T. Converse, Christian Knoop, F. B. Thomas, Samuel Everett, Mathias Stoakes, J. N. Stoakes, Robert Powell, J. T. Findley, R. B. Beach, M. D. Bonney, Robert S. Smith, William H. Stoakes, J. D. E. Reed, J. F. Redmond, William Stewart, John Campbell, and John Jensen.
JAMES ENDERTON was born March 4, 1833, at Medina Centre, Medina county, Ohio. In the fall of 1839, his parents moved to Sterling, Illinois, and James E. remained with his parents till of age. He married Miss Lucinda Root, a native of Farmington, Trumbull county, Ohio, November 17, 1856. Two daughters, Jannie and Sylvia, bless their union. He came to Tama county in the spring of 1866, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 11, in Clark township. He owns a fine farm of 80 acres. Mr. Enderton is a Republican, and has held the office of School Director, Road Supervisor, Township Trustee and Assessor.
HUGH CALDERWOOD was born in Fulton county, New York, August 13, 1834. He is a son of John and Jane Becket Calderwood, both natives of Scotland. Hugh remained at home until 1859, at which time he came west to Iowa, and settled in Elk River township, Clinton county, remaining there until 1867, when he selttled in Tama county, on section 18, clark township, where he has a fine farm of 380 acres. In politics, Mr. Calderwood is a Republican, and has held the offices of Justice of the Peace four years, and has been Assessor twice. He was married to Miss Mary Stewart, a native of Scotland, in 1865. Six children bless this union - John B., Floretta J., Anie May, Ruby Elizabeth, William Stewart and Arthur Janes.
CHRISTIAN KNOOP was born in Bredstadt, Germany, April 24, 1838, and came to America in 1865. The first three years after coming to the United States were spent in Scott county, Iowa, and in 1868 he came to Tama county, locating on section 31, Clark township, where he now owns 320 acres of land under good improvement. He has held the office of Road Supervisor for two years. In 1868, he was married to Miss Lena Gosau, a native of Germany. They have one adopted son, George.
B. F. THOMAS, an enterprising farmer in Clark townhsip, was born in Preble county, Ohio, March 6, 1837. He is a son of L. H. Thomas, a native of Pennsylvania, and Lydia (Phillips) Thomas, a native of Tennessee. His early life was spent in his native county where he learned the potter's trade. In 1856, the family came to Tama county and settled in Buckingham township, where his parents still reside. In 1861, he enlisted in Company G., 14th Iowa Infantry as a private, but was after-ward promoted to a non-commissioned officership. During his service he participated in the battles of Donelson, Shiloh, Lake Chicot, Tupello and Town Creek. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862, and remained a prisoner of war two months. He was honorably discharged in November, 1864. He then returned to his home and was engaged in working at his trade. In December, 1864, he was married to Miss Sarah E. Stoakes, daughter of John Stoakes, of Perry township. In 1869, they settled on section 5, Clark township where he now owns a farm of 240 acres. Mr. Thomas is a Republican in politics, has held the office of Justice of the Peace, and is at present one of the township Trustees and Treasurer of the township schools. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas are the parents of seven children, six of whom are now liivng, John L., Arthur H., Lewis N., Curtis H., B. Frankie and Willie H.
SAMUEL EVERETT was born in Somerset county, Maine, on the 7th day of January, 1832. He is a son of S. F. and Calista (Turner) Everett. His early life was spent in his native county, receiving but a limited education. In 1850, he came west to Dodge county, Wisconsin, with his parents. In 1851, he engaged as a sailor on the lakes and during that year helped to unload the first railroad engine ever brought into Wisconsin. In the fall of that year he returned to his home in Dodge county, where he remained until 1864, then came to Iowa, spending the first year in Allamakee county, then came to Tama county and located in Perry township, near West Union, buying a farm of 104 acres. Mr. Everett was at one time postmaster of the Wolf Creek postoffice. In 1869, he settled on section 19, Clark township, where he has since resided. He was married in December, 1866, to Miss Caroline L. Vanglike, a native of Madison county, New York. Three children bless this union; Carrie, Lizzie A. and Hattie M.
MATHIAS STOAKES, son of William M. and Caroline (Householder) Stoakes, was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, on the 18th day of January, 1848. He came with his parents to Iowa in 1851, and to Tama county in 1855. He was reared on his father's farm in Perry township, and received a good common school education. In 1869, he settled on section 7, in Clark township, and 1874 settled on section 8, and now owns one of the finest farms in that township. Mr. Stoakes has always taken an active part in matters of local interest, especially in school affairs. He was married in 1874 to Miss Jane Stewart, a native of Washington county, Wisconsin. They have four children: Ella Jane, Charles Stewart, William Mathias and Edith Elizabeth.
J. N. STOAKES, brother of Mathias, was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, August 7, 1849. In 1851, his parents emigrated to Iowa, locating in Van Buren county, where they remained until in February, 1855, and then settled in Perry township, Tama county. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on his father's farm, receiving a good common school education. In 1870, he settled on section 7, Clark township, where he now owns a fine farm of 160 acres. Mr. Stoakes is a Republican and has held several township offices. At present he is Assessor and Secretary of the School Board. In 1871, he was married to Miss Mary Jane Brown, Five children have been born unto them--Thomas F., Maggie, Ernest R., Carrie C., and Grace.
ROBERT POWELL is a native of Wales, born September 5, 1844, his parents being Edward and Elizabeth (Davis) Powell, both natives of Wales. He came to America with his parents in 1855 and settled in Wisconsin. August 14, 1862, he enlisted in Company C., 29th Wisconsin Infantry and served until honorably discharged at Madison, Wisconsin. While in the service, he was a participant in the following engagements: Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Black River, seige of Vicksburg, seige of Jackson, Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill, Spanish Fort, and Fort Blakely. After his discharge he returned to Dodge county, Wisconsin, and in 1870 came to Tama county, locating on section 19, Clark township, where he now owns a farm of 160 acres. Mr. Powell has held several of the township offices. He was married in 1867 to Miss Sophia Furrow, a native of Wisconsin. Their children are--Edward, Emma, John, Estella, Martha and James Garfield.
J. T. FINDLEY, a son of William and Rebecca (Taylor) Findley, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, on the 7th of May, 1836. He attained his majority in his native county, and in 1857 came west to Minnesota, where he remained two years, locating in 1839 in Warren county, Illinois. July 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, 83d Illinois Infantry, and afterwards participated in the second battle of Fort Donelson, Nashville and Columbia, being honorably discharged from service at Chicago, Illinois, July 5, 1865. He then returned to his home in Warren county and remained there until 1867, when he came to Tama county and first located in Geneseo township. In 1870, he moved to Clark township and settled on section 20, where he now owns a fine farm of 240 acres. Mr. Findley was married in 1859 to Miss Margaret E. Williams, a native of Pennsylvania. Six children have been born to them--Alpheus L., Thomas, Fatima, Abbie, Emery and Ottie.
R. B. BEACH is a native of Iowa, born at Lyons, in Clinton county, May 22, 1858. His father, the Rev. H. W. Beach, was a methodist minister. R. B. Beach's educational advantages were the common schools in his native county, in connection with those of Tama. In 1865, his parents removed to Geneseo township of this county, where they remained until 1874, when they came to Dysart. Here his father engaged in the lumber trade until his health failed, in 1877, and in the following year his death occured. The subject of this sketch has continued to reside here since coming with his parents in 1874, and at present is engaged in farming. During 1882, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Roxie J. Freeman, who was a native of Benton county, Iowa.
M. D. BONNEY is a native of Ohio, born in Portage county, January 18, 1827. He is a son of Hezekiah and Marietta (Dewey) Bonney. He was reared on his father's farm, recieving a good common school education . In 1851 he removed to Lorain county, Ohio, where he was married January 18, 1853, to Miss Arvilla R. Holcomb, a native of that county, and daughter of Truman and Phoebe (Pike) Holcomb. Two children were born to them in that county, one of whom is now living: Everard M. In 1857, they settled in Branch county, Michigan, and, while there, George H., Ardelle A. and Marietta V. were born to them. In 1870 they settled in Tama county, on section 11, Clark township. In politics Mr. Bonney is a staunch Republican and has held several local offices. They are members of the Methodist church of Dysart.
ROBERT S. SMITH, one of the enterprising farmers of Clark township, is a native of Scotland, born on the 10th day of May, 1842. His parents Robert and Jennie (Stevenson) Smith, came to America in 1849, and located in Green Lake county, Wisconsin. In 1862 they moved into Iowa, settling in Hardin county where they now reside. In 1859, Robert visited Colorado and remained one year. Again in 1870 he visited the golden west, returning after a sojourn of two years to Hardin county. In 1875 he settled in Clark township, on section 27, where he now owns one of the finest farms in the township, consisting of 400 acres of well improved land. Mr. Smith is Independent in politics, and is one of the present Township Trustees. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and has reached the 32d degree. In 1870 he was joined in wedlock with Miss Lillie Filkins, a native of New York State.
WILLIAM H. STOAKES settled in this county with his parents in 1855. He was born in Van Buren county, Iowa, May 21, 1853. He is a son of William and Caroline (Housholder) Stoakes, and a brother of Mathias and J. N. In 1855, his parents came to Tama county and settled in Perry township, where they still reside, and where the subject of this sketch grew to manhood. In 1876, he settled on section 7, Clark township, where he still lives. He was married in 1876 to Miss Alice Jameyson, daughter of Charles Jameyson of Genesoe township. Three children bless this union--Irene, Charles R. and Howard.
J. D. E. REED was born in Vigo county, Indiana, December 4, 1840; remained there until 1865, when he came west to Cedar county, Iowa, and in 1869 to Tama county, where he settled on section 6, in Oneida township. In 1876 he became a resident of Clark township, where he now owns a farm of 240 acres, eighty acres on section 33 and 160 acres on section 28. He was married in 1859 to Miss Letitia Watts, a native of Kentucky. They have four children--George W., Ellen M., Charlie and John D. E.
JOHN F. REDMOND was born in Wicklaw county, Ireland, November 29, 1834. He came to America in 1857 and first located in Ulster county, New York, but soon after came to Ogle county, Ill., and resided there until 1865, when he came west to Benton county, Iowa, where he settled on a farm two miles west of Dysart. In 1878, he came to Clark township where he now owns a fine farm of 160 acres adjoining the village of Dysart. In 1870 he was married to Miss Catherine Skiffington, a native of Ireland. Their children are John P and Joanna E.
WILLIAM STEWART is a native of Washington county, Wisconsin, born to William and Jane (Pringle) Stewart, on the 14th of August, 1858. He was reared on his father's farm, receiving a common school education, until 1876, when he attended and graduated at the Oshkosh Business College. In October, 1879, he came to Tama county and settled on section 8, Clark township, where he now owns a fine farm of 240 acres. Mr Stewart is a Republican in politics.
JOHN CAMPBELL is a native of Chemung county, New York, born to Judson and Abigail (Young) Campbell, on the 15th of August, 1838. He resided in his native county for thirty years, then came to Tama county, settling first on section 35, Perry township, where he spent five years, at the end of which time he located in Carroll township, remaining until 1881, and then moved into Clark township where he now owns 160 acres on section 30. Mr. Campbell was married in 1860, to Miss Mary A. Butts, a native of New York State. Their children are Elsie, Judson, William, Florence, Carrie and Charles. September 6, 1861, Mr. Campbell enlisted in the 50th New York Volunteers Infantry, and after serving fourteen months, was discharged on account of physical disability.
JOHN JENSEN was born in Germany, October 17, 1847, and came to America in 1864, locating first in Scott county, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming for five years. In 1870, he came to Tama county and located on section 2, Oneida township, where he remained until the spring of 1882, when he moved to his present farm of 320 acres on section 29, Clark township. He was married, in 1877, to Maria Thiesen, a native of Germany. They have two children living: Peter and Thomas.
The first election was held at the house of David Torrence, November 6, 1860. The following have been the officers:
1860—Trustees, Joseph Moss, Charles Unger and G. W. Wierman; Assessor, David Torrence; Clerk, G. W. Bradley; Supervisor, T. S. Talmage. G. W. Bradley resigned the clerkship April 8, 186_, and David Torrence was appointed to fill the vacancy.
1861—Trustees, Joseph Moss, Charles Unger and T. S. Talmage; Assessor, Joseph Moss; Clerk, David Torrence.
1862 – Justices David Torrence and J. A. Parmenter; Constables, G. A. Gummell and P. P. Wentch; Trustees, Joseph Moss, C. Unger and T. S. Talmage; Assessor, Joseph Moss; Clerk, Dvid Torrence.
1865—Justices, P. P. Wentch and David Torrence: Trustees, Andrew Boylan, Newton Miller and Henry Moss; Assessor, David Torrence; Constable, Charles Unger.
1866—Assessor, James Enderton; Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Trustees, P. P. Wentch, Henry Moss and Charles Unger; Justices, David Torrence and Solomon Cochrane; Constables, Newton Miller and Jerome Lee.
1867—Supervisor, Joseph Dysart; Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Assessor, James Enderton; Trustees, Solomon Cochrane, David Torrence, P. P. Wentch; Constable, James Enderton.
1868—Assessor, Hugh Calderwood; Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Trustees, Solomon Cochrane, Enoch Converse and Samuel Everett; Justices, David Torrence and T. S. Talmage; Constables John W. Thomas and Ezra Coffee.
1869 - Trustees, David Torrence, James Enderton and S. F. Everett; Assessor, Hugh Calderwood; Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Justices, B. F. Thomas and W. H. Shafer; Constables, A. Coutts and H. F. Mosher.
1870 - Trustees, David Torrence, James Enderton and Hugh Calderwood; Assessor, J. t. Converse; Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Constables, H. F. Mosher and Kelsey Phelps.
1871 - Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Trustees, M. D. Bonney, David Torrence and B. F. Thomas; Constables, F. M. Crissman and Benjamin heath; Assessor, W. H. Shafer.
1872 - Justices, J. W. Crissman and S. F. Everett; Assessor W. H. Shafer; Clerk, T. S. Talmage; Trustees, Joseph Dysart, James Enderton and Daniel Pickett; Constables, F. M. Crissman and P. Olson.
1873 - No records.
1874 - Assessor, H. Frank; Justices, S. Hardin, H. Calderwood; Constables, M.B.D. Wetherin and J. N. Black; Trustees, James Enderton, B. F. Thomas and Daniel Pickett; Clerk, T.S. Talmage.
The officers elected in the fall of 1882, are as follows: Justices, N.C. Rice and L.J. Tussey; Clerk, E. Pearson; Trustee, B.F. Thomas; Constables, W. P. Worrall and A. Burnett; Assessor, J. N. Stoakes.
Clark township was so named in honor of Judge Leander Clark. Quite a number of names were proposed, among which were “Plain,” on account of its level surface, and “Rock Creek”, after the creek of that name, but “Clark” was finally decided upon.
The first school in this township was held in a building on the northeast quarter of section 2, owned by Newton Miller, in 1862, and was taught by Jacob Parmenter. There was an attendance of about seven scholars. The first school house built was on the northeast corner of section 11, in 1863, and cost $224. It is still standing. The first school in this building was taught by Miss Annie Torrence during the winter of 1863-4. The district in which this building is located now comprises sections 1,2,11 and 12.
There are now nine school districts in the township, including the independent district of Dysart. All these have good school building excepting number 9, and the educational facilities compare favorably with other townships of similar population.
This office was established in 1869,at the house of John T. Converse, on section 11, where it remained until its removal to Dysart, in February, 1873, when the name was changed to correspond with that of the village. J.T. Converse was the first postmaster, and remained in charge until after the name was changed to Dysart.
John T. converse was born in Ashford, Windham county, Connecticut, October 31, 1823. His parents were palmer and Betsy (Tyler) Converse. He grew to manhood in his native county. His educational advantages were the district schools, and later an attendance at an academy. During 1846 he was married, in Tolland county, Connecticut, to Miss Marcia Crawford a native of Union, Tolland county, and a daughter of Judge Ingoldsby W. and Rhoda (Taft) Crawford. Her ancestors were among the early settlers of Tolland county. After their marriage, the young couple spent some years
In Windham, where Mr. Converse was engaged in farming; and in 1857, they removed to Minnesota, locating in Dakota county. During 1866, they returned to the east, and in February, of 1867, came to Tama county and settled on the southeast quarter of section 11, Clark township. Mr. Converse was appointed postmaster of Ettie post office in 1868, and later was first postmaster of Dysart. His death occurred on the 21st day of December, 1880, at San Antonio, Texas, where the family were spending the winter. His remains lie in the cemetery of Dysart. Mrs. Converse has two children living, Marcia Melora, wife of Adelbert A. Ives, of Dysart; and John T. who is living in Grundy county, Iowa.
The first birth was George F. , a son to P.P. Wentch and wife, September 27, 1857; his is still living.
The first marriage in the township was that of Newton Perkins and Miss N. Moss. It occurred in 1859.
The first death occurred in October, 1856, the wife of Newton Miller. Her death was occasioned by a dreadful prairie fire in which she was caught during a high wind. Particulars will be found in chapter 11.
TOWN OF DYSART.
This place is pleasantly located in the eastern part of the township. The land on which it rests was formerly owned by John W. Crissman, who caused the village to be platted in November, 1872. To this original plat an addition was made during the summer of 1875, by David P. Tussey, of Blair county, Pennsylvania. Afterward another addition was made by Rev. H. W. Beach, of about thirty acres.
The village was named in honor of Hon. Joseph Dysart, ex-State Senator from Tama and Benton counties, and ex-Lieutenant Governor of the State.
Dysart has been duly incorporated, the first election being held July 12, 1881, when the following named persons were elected to office: N. C. Rice, Mayor; T. C. Curyea, Recorder; Peter Jensen, C. P. Federson, S.W. Arbuthnot, D. E. Hallet, Chars. Betebenner and George Alexander, Trustees.
The next election held, March 1882, resulted as follows: N. C. Rice, Mayor; R. B. Beach, Recorder; C. P. Fedderson, S. W. Arbuthnot, Geo. Alexander, Peter Jensen, P. C. Jones and J. E. Hollabaugh, Trustees. N. C. Rice resigned, November 14, 1882, and H. W. Persons was elected Mayor to fill vacancy by the council on November 12.
The officers elected in march, 1882, were as follows: H. W. Persons, Mayor; Peter Jensen, and D. E. Hallet, Trustees; Arthur Sewall, Assessor; J. H. Pinkerton, Recorder; Wendell Pierce, Treasurer; Byron Stewart, Street Commissioner.
BUSINESS MATTERS AND MEN.
The first store built in this town was erected by William Davidson who opened therein a general stock of merchandise, in January, 1873. It is now occupied by Emmett & Peters for a hardware store.
The second store building was erected by John W. Crissman in which Mr. Durand, of Belle Plaine, opened a stock of goods. This building then stood on the southwest corner of main and Wilson streets. It is now occupied by the general merchandise store of Clough & Shaeffer, and stands on the north side of Wilson street.
J. E. Clough, one of the business men mentioned, is a native of New York, born in Tompkins county, in 1840. He lived at home until twenty-one years of age, and then removed to Indiana, where, during 1862, he enlisted in Company D., 74th Indiana Volunteers. He participated in the battled of Chickamauga and Mission Ridge, besides being in other engagements while with the army of the Cumberland and with General Sherman in his “March to the Sea: He was honorably discharged at Indianapolis in 1865. Two years later, he removed to Benton county, Iowa, where he was engaged in carpentering; and, in 1876, settled in Dysart. Here he was employed at the same occupation until November, 1881, when he associated himself with John Coutts and embarked in his present business. Mr. Clough is a member of the I. O. O. F. society, and is also a charter member of the A. O. U. W. organization. He was married in 1876, to Miss Jennie E. Farnsworth. Two children bless their home - Bessie and Charles.
The third store carried dry-goods, and was opened by Johansen & Pollikek in the spring of 1873.
The fourth store was established by O. D. Bonney and opened during the spring of 1873.
These buildings were on the west side of Main street, and in July, 1882, the latter was burned.
George W. McDonald opened his dry goods and general merchandise store in Dysart in 1877. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born in York county, on the 14th of March, 1839. His parents were John and Catherine (Wiant) McDonald. AT the age of fifteen, he began clerking in a store in Baltimore, and subsequently learned the Millwright’s trade, which he followed, making his headquarters in the cities of Washington and Baltimore. During the spring of 1855, he removed to the State of Ohio, locating in Mount Blanchard, Hancock county, where he engaged in mercantile business until 1869, at which time he sold out and emigrated to Clarence, Shelby county, Missouri. While there, Mr. McDonald engaged in the lumber trade and also had an interest in a dry-goods house part of the time. In the fall of 1876, he located at Greene, Iowa, and in the spring of the following year came to Dysart, where he has since been engaged in the dry-goods business. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and also a member of the Masonic order. On the 8th day of January, 1863, he was united in marriage with Miss Maggie McGuigan, who is a native of Pennsylvania.
The first railroad train made its appearance within the limits of the village on the 27th day of December 1873, on the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad, and was a welcome visitor. This was for a time the terminus, and the village improved rapidly.
The first house for a dwelling was built early in December, 1872, by Levi Johnson. It has since been torn down. It was the only residence in the town until the spring of 1878.
The first meat market was established in 1873, by John Theid, who remained in the business about one year. The market has changed hands several times, and is now conducted by John Schloc.
Joseph Furrow established his meat market in January, 1883, and is now doing a good business.
Joseph Furrow was born November 17, 1841, in Champaign county, Ohio. He remained in his native county until fourteen years of age, and then removed to Miami county, Ohio, where he engaged in farming for a number of years. August 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, 2d Ohio Infantry, and served until honorably discharged, October 20, 1864, at Camp Chase, Ohio. He participated in the battles of Stone river, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and Atlanta, besides being in several lighter engagement. In 1866, he came to Tama county, Iowa, and located on a farm in York township. There he remained until 1871, at which time he engaged in farming in Oneida township. He continued farming until in December, 1872 and then came to Dysart, where the following spring he erected the Central House, of which he was proprietor five and a half years. He then engaged in the livery business until January of 1882, and is at present operating a meat market. His livery stable was destroyed by fire July 5, 1882. Mr. Furrow has held the office of Town Constable for six years. He is a Master Mason. His marriage with Miss E. E. Bowen, a native of Indiana, occurred in 1871. They have two children, Eddie H. and Florence E.
The lumber and coal trade is represented in Dysart by P. Jensen of Dysart and Ellis & Son of Vinton. The interests of Ellis & Son in Dysart are managed by H. H. Allison.
P. Jensen is a native of Germany, born in June 1854. He came to America with his parents in the year 1865. They first settled in Davenport, Iowa, where they lived until 1870, and then moved to Oneida township, Tama county. The subject of this was reared on a farm and received a common school education. In 1877, he came to Dysart, where he clerked one year and then went to Germany and spent one year. In 1879, he returned to Dysart and opened his lumber and coal yards. Mr. Jensen votes the Republican ticket, and is at the present time one of the Town Councilmen and also a Director of the public schools. His marriage with Miss Mary Meggers, occurred in 1879. They have two children: Dora and Frank.
H. H. Allison is a native of Stephenson county, Illinois, where he was born March 5, 1854. When eleven years of age, he removed with his parents to Benton county, Iowa, where he grew to manhood on the farm. He obtained a good common school education in order to fit himself for a business career; and in 1875, began clerking for Ellis & Son, lumber dealers, of Vinton. Three years later he was given charge of their branch office at Dysart, which position he now fills. Mr. Allison was married during 1876, to Miss Lillie Stone, a native of Scott county, Iowa. One child, Grace Dell, blesses their union.
The first blacksmith shop was erected by Levi Johnson. He died in Illinois soon after the shop was completed. Mr. Finch bought the tools and worked in the shop
for a short time, then built another. In 1876 he sold out and went west.
A. Edmonds commenced business in this line in April, 1876, and still holds a
large trade. Walter Bradbrook established his shop in 1878. In 1882 the firm
became Bradbrook & Dahn, and they do a good business.
Alonzo Edmonds was born in November of 1834, in Ross county, Ohio. A short time after his birth, his father's family moved to the State of Indiana, where Alonzo received a common school education and learned the trade of blacksmithing. During 1854 he came with his parents to Iowa, and located in Benton county, where he followed his trade, in connection with farming, for many years. In April of 1876 he settled in Dysart, where he has since lived and followed his trade. September 16, 1858, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Stewart, a native of Virginia. Four children have been born to them--Emma, Susan, Bessie and Frank.
Walter Bradbrook is a native of Ohio, born in Huron county, of that State, in November, 1842. He learned the trade of blacksmithing at Newark, the county seat of Huron county. He came to Tama county, Iowa, in 1861, and first located at Toledo, where he spent fourteen years in wagon and carriage making, and then followed mercantile pursuits until his removal to Dysart in 2877. In 1878 he opened his blacksmith shop in this place, and has since been engaged in that business. On the 23rd day of February, 1870, Mr. Bradbrook was united in marriage with Miss Anna Carter, a native of Tama county. Five children have been born unto them--Alice, Harry, Frederick, Lucretia and Idell. The wife and mother died September 23, 1880.
The first wagon maker to cast his lot in Dysart was N. Burdoine, who established business in 1873 in a shop built for that purpose. He remained here but a short time when he sold out and returned to Vinton.
H W. Howard established his shop in April, 1878. He erected his present commodious building in 1880, and does a business of $2,500 anually. H. W. Howard was born in Chatauqua county, New York, August 7, 1834. He obtained his education in his native county, and also learned the trade of wagon making. During 1855, he located at Ozark, Jackson county, Iowa, where he worked at his trade until July, 1862, when he enlisted in Company A, 26th Iowa Infantry. After eleven months of service, he was honorably discharged opposite the city of Vicksburg, in Louisiana. Mr. Howard then returned to Jackson county, and in 1866 removed to tama City of this county. There he worked at carpentering for a while, and then followed farming until his settlement at Dysart in 1877. Soon after his arrival here he established himself in his old trade of wagon making, which business he has since followed. He has held the office of School Director. In politics Mr. Howard follows no particular party but votes for the best man. In 1856, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Emeline Sutton, a native of Chautauqua county, New York. They have four children living--Marvin, Alice, Etta and Hattie.
The first drug store in Dysart was opened by O D. Bonney in 1873. This branch of trade is now represented by Pinkerton & Sherwin and Manrid & Haney. The business of the former firm was established by J. H. Pinkerton in 1876; that of the latter by R. Manrid in 1875. Both firms have a good trade.
J. H. Pinkerton, of the firm of Pinkerton & Sherwin, was born in Merrimac county, New Hampshire, November 23, 1849, and is a son of James and Mary E. (Howser) Pinkerton. He received a liberal education in his native county, and at the age of sixteen, removed with his parents to Fond-du-Lac county, Wisconsin, where his parents now reside. The subject of this sketch remained on his father's farm seven years, and then came to Marshall county, Iowa, where he farmed nearly two years, after which he came to Dysart, where he engaged in the drug trade, in which business he has since continued. In politics he is a Republican, and has held the office of Assessor two years. Mr. Pinkerton was one of the first members of the I.O.O.F. of Dysart, and also a member of the A.O.U.W. Society. His marriage with Miss Millie Chase, a native of Wisconsin, occurred in 1874. they have two children--Bertha E. and Clyde Chase.
O.M. Haney, of the drug firm of Manrid & Haney, Dysart, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Fayette county, March 2, 1845. His early life was spent in his native county, attending school and working at various occupations. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Company C, 2d Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and served until honorably discharged at Philadelphia, in February of 1866. He participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor and Spottsylvania, besides being engaged in several of the battles at Petersburg during the nine months' siege of that place. In August of 1866, he came to this State and first located at Des Moines, entering that city on the second passenger train ever run into the place. Afterwards he located at Council Bluffs, and still later at Belle Plaine, and in 1875, came to Dysart. During all these changes Mr. Haney was engaged in the drug business and in 1879, he opened, in partnership with R. Manrid, the drug store at present in this place. The subjuct of this sketch held the office of Township Clerk four years. His marriage wih Miss Elizabeth Hanlan, a native of Ohio, occurred in October of 1875. They have one daughter--Frank.
The first hotel was built during January, 1873, by Mrs. Lafevre and was used for a hotel aobut two years, since which time the building has been used for a general store and is now occupied by E.Z Dempsey. There is at this time but one hotel, the "Commercial." It was built in 1877, by Mr. Brown and is now under the efficient management of J. W. Gower who is doing a good business.
Captain J. W. Gower, proprietor of the Commercial House, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, December 2, 1833. He remained in that county until 1851, when he located in Licking county, Ohio, and in 1856, came to Tama county and settled near where Tama City now stands. For the first year after his arrival he was engaged in farming, and then engaged in the carpenter trade. July 31, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, 10th Iowa Infantry as a private, and July 25,1863, was promoted to the captaincy of Company H, 50th U.S.C.I. and served until May 15, 1865, when he was honorably discharged at Mobile, Alabama. While in the service he participated in the battles of Charleston, Missouri; New Madrid, Missouri; Corinth, Mississippi; Iuka, Mississippi; and again at Corinth, where he was wounded, October 3, 1862, in the right side; at Tallahatchee, Mississippi; siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Mississippi; Champion Hills, Mississippi, where he was wounded May 16, 1863, in the right shoulder, and was afterward in the battle of Blakely, Alabama. After his discharge he came to Tama county and engaged in milling at Chelsea. In 1879, he located at Traer and was there engaged in engineering. In April, 1882, he came to Dysart and embarked in the hotel business and is at present running the Commercial House, which under his management is becoming very popular.
Another house called the "Central" was built by Joseph Furrow in 1874, and was used for hotel purposes until June, 1882.
A grist mill was built in 1877, by Snavely & Shafer at a cost of $5,000. It had two runs of burrs. They sold to Mr. Reeves and in the summer of 1881, it was burned. this was unfortunate for the town as the citizens had donated one thousand dollars toward its construction; and it leaves Dysart without a mill.
The first warehouse was built by Brown, Doty & Company, in the spring of 1873, and wasafterward burned. the first grain was bought by this company during the fall of 1873. Before the fire they had built an elevator which was also burned at the same time. This had been erected at an expense of $7,000 and was a fine building. During the fall of 1873 Smiley & Company erected a warehouse, which in April, 1877, was purchased by Alexander & Arbuthnot, and additions were made to it. this firm continued here in business about three years, when the property was purchased by George Alexander. The building has a capacity of 30,000 bushels, and was erected at a cost of $8,000. It has all the modern elevator improvements. Mr. Alexander shipe from 800 to 1200 car loads of grain and seeds per year, and about 200 car loads of stock. He has received at this point, as high as 8,200 bushels of grain in a day.
One of the most enterprising business men of Dysart is George Alexander, a native of Scotland, born to William and Mary (Cleland) Alexander on the 21st of September, 1839. He came to America with his parents in 1851, located first in Chicago, where they remained until 1856, then came to Tama county and settled in York township. Here the subject of this sketch enlisted, in August, 1862, in Company E, 24th Iowa Infantry, and participated in the battles of Port Gibson, Champion Hill, seige of Vicksburn, Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek, being honorably discharged from the service at Davenport, Iowa, in August, 1865. He soon after engaged in the grain trade at Belle Plaine, where he remained for nine years. He was then in the same business for one year at Toledo, and then returned to Belle Plaine, where he ran a foundry for a year. The ensuing six months he spent at Garrison, Iowa engged in the grain trade, and in January, 1877, came to Dysart where he has since been extensively engaged in the buying and selling of grain and stock. In politics, Mr. Alexander is a staunch Republican. he does not sek office for himself, but uses his influence to put the "right man in the right place." He is a Master Mason and at present is Junior Warden of Ascalon Lodge No. 393. He is also a member of the A.O.U.W.,
Fraternity and the Legion of Honor. His marriage to Miss Anna Yeiser, a native of Ohio, took place in April, 1862. this union has been blessed with three children: Mary Agnes, Lydia Ellen and Frank Arthur.
S.W. Arbuthnot is also an enterprising grain grain dealer of Dysart. He is a son of Robert and Jane (Holden) Arbuthnot. He was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, October 2, 1836. His parents came to Iowa, and settled in Salt Creek township, Tama county, when he was thirteen years old. He was raised on his father's farm and received his education in the district sahool. During the second year of our late rebellion, he enlisted in company f, 28th Iowa Infantry, and on the 16th of May, at the battle of Champion Hills, Mississippi, was severely wounded in the left hand, and therefore was discharged in 1864, at St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Arbuthnot now draws a pension from the government. After his discharge, he returned to Iowa, and located in Benton county, where he followed farming for eight years, and then removed to Belle Plaine. In the latter place he engged in the grain trade, and since his settlement in Dysart, in 1876, he has followed the same. In politics, he is a Republican, first, last and always. He has been one of the Town councilmen. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is a strong advocate of temperance. He is a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor, and of the A.O.U.W. society. During 1866,Mr. Arbuthnot was married to Miss Sarah A. Hottel, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children living--Sarah J. and Stata H. Mr. Robert Arbuthnot, father of S.W., died in 1884, the mother still lives.
L.D.Hulett, a harness-maker, of Dysart, is a native of Indiana. He was born in Blackford county, that State, December 14, 1843. Shortly after his birth the family moved to Whiteside county, Illinois, and there the subject of this sketch passed his youth and received his education. In 1863, he enlisted, as a private, in Company B, 147th Illinois Infantry and served until honorably discharged at Savannah, Georgia, in 1865. Mr. Hulett then returned to his native county, and afterwards learned the harness maker's trade in the town of Morrison. Subsequently, he followed that trade in different western States until 1871, at which time he located at Fort Dodge, Iowa where he worked at his trade for two years, and then went to Blairstown, remaining there three years. In 1876 he came to Dysart and opened a harness shop, which is now well stocked with goods in that line. Mr. Hulett is a number of the A.O.U.W. society, and was instrumental in organizing the I.O.O.F. in this place. he was married to Miss A.J.Esget, on the 9th day of February, 1879.
Charles F. Duncan is also engaged in the harness making trade. He is a native of Benton county, Iowa, where he was born, November 3, 1857. He is a son of William Duncan, a pioneer of that county. Charles received a common school education, and afterwards learned the trade of harness making at Vinton. During 1878, he settled in Dysart, and in July, of the same year, opened the shop where he is at present. he was united in marriage, in 1880, with Miss Effie E. Sutton, a native of this State.
George Wood, shoemaker of Dysart, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in York county, on the 18th day of December, 1834, His parents came west, in 1841, to Wayne county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and afterward came west to Illinois, locating in Bureau county. He there learned the trade of shoemaking. October 19, 1861, he enlisted in company H, 57th Illinois Infantry, and served until honorably discharged on account of disabilities, April 28, 1862. In 1864, he came to Vinton, Iowa, and got employment working at his trade. In 1878, he began farming in Benton county and continued there for five years. he then opened a shop at Dysart, where he is at present.
The livery business in Dysart is represented by the firm of Worrall & Evy. W.P. Worrall was born in Morgan county, Ohio, July 2 1844. His early life until twenty years of age, was spent in that county, and in 1864 he came to Cedar county, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until 1870, when he located on a farm in Oneida township, Tama county. In 1881, he went to work at carpentering in Dysart, and in 1882 opened a livery business. In 1872, he was married to Miss R.S. Vernon, a native of Ohio. She died on the 16th day of September, 1879.
J.H. Evy, junior partner in the firm of Worrall & Evy, liverymen of Dysart, was born in Centre county, Pennsylvania, December 28, 1853. In 1876, he came to Floyd county, Iowa, where he spent three years. he then moved to greene, Iowa, and in 1881, came to Dysart, where, in 1882, he engaged in the livery business with S.P. Worrall.
A. Branaman & Company opened the first bank in Dysart in 1877. They did business in a small room until the summer of 1878, when they erected the present bank building on Main street. They sold out to N. R. Pierce, April 1, 1880, and the naame of the institution was changed to Citizens' Bank.
The postoffice of Dysart was first named Ettie. It was moved to the village, February 10, 1873, and the name changed to Dysart. J.T. Converse was the postmaster. The office was then held in William Davidson's store on the southeast corner of Main and Wilson streets. On the first day of July, 1875, Samuel Wood became postmaster and in July, 1877, it was moved one door south, where it has since remained. J. L. Spayde received his commission as postmaster and took charge of the office July 1, 1889, and still holds the position. It was made a money order office in July, 1875. the first order was drawn July 5, 1875, William Davidson being the remitter and Nye, Campbell & Company, Chicago, payees--the amount being $20.28. The first order was paid July 19, 1875, issued at Dixon, Illinois, by George W. Palmer, the payee being C.C. Fike; the amount was thirteen dollars.
The present postmaster of Dysart, J.L. Spayde, was born in Richland county, Ohio, on the 4th of May, 1849. Soon after his birth the family removed to Kosciusko county, Indiana, where he received a common school education and grew to manhood on the farm. In September, 1869, he settled in Benton county, Iowa, where he spent about eight years, teaching through the winter months and farming during the remainder of the year. He then came to Dysart and began clerking for William Davidson, a dealer in general merchandise. With him Mr. Spayde remained until he entered upon his duties as postmaster in 1880. In politics he is a Republican. On the 20th of November, 1879, he was united in marriage with Miss Ettie F. Cotten, a native of this State. They have one child--Zula Rae.
physician to locate here was C.L. Teats, who came during the fall of 1873 and
remained until his death in 1878. This profession is now represented by Drs.
P.C. Jones, S.P. Black and B.S. Louthan.
The first attorney to locate here was A. Branaman who came in 1875, and remained until 1880. The bar is now represented by N.C. Rice and F.C. and W.H. Wood.
Dysart has been comparatively free from the fire fiend. However, it has had a few blazes. The only one that did damage to any great extent occurred during the night of the 5th of July, 1882, at which time $25,000 worth of property was destroyed. The fire consumed a row of wooden buildings on the west side of Main street.
Realizing the great benefits derived from public schools and other means of education, the people of Dysart, in 1873, concluded not to wait longer for necessary buildings and made arrangements with a Mr. N. Burdoine to use a wagon shop which had been built by him, for school purposes, and here Miss Belle davidson taught the first school. This building was used for this purpose for nearly two years, and also for religious and political purposes. It is now used by the Evangelical Association of Dysart, and stands two blocks west from where it was first built. The present school building was erected in 1876, at a cost of $5,500. It is a two story frame edifice and was erected by the Tama City Building company. It is now a graded school. Walter Shaffer was the first Principal. He was succeeded by J.R. Caldwell, who yet remains in charge. There are 160 scholars in the district.
During the fall of 1873, the first service of this character was held in the town. The sermon was preached by H.W. Beach, a Methodist minister, in the Burdoine wagon shop. Services of this denomination had previously been held in the school-house on section 11, and the school-house in district number one. The first sermon in the vicinity was preached at the latter place, by Rev.Baker, in the spring of 1869. The regular Methodist Episcopal Church of Dysart, was organized in August, 1873, by Rev. Enoch Holland, who was the first pastor. A house of worship was built in 1874, and dedicated September 13 of that year. It cost $2,900. Among the first members were M.D. Bonney and wife, William Castledine and wife, M.M. Lant, J.W. Crisman, wife and mother, William davidson, F.M. Crisman, E.M. Bonney, Mary Gamble, J.C. Guiney, William Crisman, A.R. Crisman and Albert Shafer. The Rev. Enoch Holland was succeeded, in 1875, by Rev. W.H. Miller; then came Henry Bargelt, C.A. Hawn, W.D. Maybry, S.B. Maltby and B.C. Barnes, the present pastor. The church now has a membership of sixty-one, and services are held every two weeks. The following are the present officers: Geo. Alexander, M.D. Bonney, J.F. Austin, William Castledine, R.B. Beach, Trustees; M.D. Bonney and William Harrison Stewards.
In connection with this church a Sabbath school was organized in 1873, with M.D. Bonney for first Superintendent. There is now a membership of one hundred and twenty, an average attendance of seventy-five. J.H. Burris is Superintendent, George Howard, Secretary and R.B. Beach, Librarian.
A Sabbath school was organized by this denomination before the society came to Dysart, which has been continued and is officered at present as follows: John L. Spayde, Superintendent; H.W. Person, Assistant; E. Pearson, Secretary; Mrs H. W. Parsons, Treasurer; G. Newton, Chorister; Miss Etta Howard, Organist.
This church was first organized as Yankee Grove Presbyterian Church, taking the name from the place of its birth, Yankee Grove, in Benton county, where its organization was effected February 4, 1860, with the following named members: G.S. Eckerman, Sarah E. Eckerman, William Boyd, Sarah Boyd, James Stewart, Mary Stewart, Theron S Talmage. The first service was held in a school house. Rev. Nelson C. Robinson, from Vinton, was the organizer and supplied the pulpit. The first elder was Theron S Talmage. The society continued to hold service once in four weeks, then once in three weeks, at school houses in the western part of Benton county, until they moved to Dysart, where the first services were held in the Methodist Episcopal church in 1874. they continued to hold services there and in the school house for some time. About this time articles of incorporation were adopted and the name changed to "Presbyterian Church of Dysart." Te first minister at Yankee grove was Rev. Nelson C. robinson, who supplied until 1867, then came James Agnew, who remained until 1869. He was succeeded by Rev. Daniel L. Hughes. He remained until 1873. After this for some time the church was supplied only occasionally. Rev. Joseph A. Donahey was the next regular minister and remained about six months, leavig in 1875. After this the pulpit was supplied by different persons until Rev. Daniel L. Hughes came and remained until November 2, 1879. A.C. Brown came next, and November 10, 1880, he was installed regular pastor and remained until November 12, 1882. Since that time services have been held at intervals only, without any regular supply. Ahouse of worship was erected in 1877, 30 x 50 feet at a cost of $3,000. It was dedicated December 2, 1877, the dedicatory sermon being preached by Stephen Phelps, now President of Coe College, Cedar Rapids. Daniel L. Hughes also assisted at this interesting service. The present officers of the church are: W.H. sherwin, G.C. Howard, S.W. Arbuthnot and T.S. Talmage, Elders; Kimple Bates, Deacon; W.H. Sherwin, G.C. Howard, S.W. arbuthnot, T.S. Talmage and E. Pearson, Trustees. The number of members since orgonization has been 107. The present membership is 67, and the church is in good condition.
GERMAN EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION.
Evangelical Association was organized at Dysart, in 1873, by Rev. E. Escher. The
first members were--F. and J. Aschenbrenner, H. Messer, C. Mosebach, J.
Laudgrave and A. Strube. The first officers were--F. Aschenbrenner, Leader; C.
Mosebach, Exhorter; Trustees; F. Aschenbrenner, P. Minkle, C.Thiele, C. Brandan,
C. Degner. The first religious services of this denomination in this
neighborhood were held at Houghton's school-house, six miles southwest of
The different pastors since organization have been as follows: Revs. C. Escher, N. Schook, H. Butz, A. Hauser and M. Knoll, the last named being the present minister. The most important revival, as regards the number of conversions, took place during the administration of N. Schook. In 1878 the church edifice was erected. Its size is 20x50 feet, and its cost was about $500. The present officers of the church are--Trustees, F. aschenbrenner, C. Brandan, C. Thiele, W. Zobel and W. Marquette; Class Leaders, Aschenbrenner, Thiele and Degner. The present membership of the church is one hundred, and it is prospering.
A Sunday school was organized by this society in 1874, with J. Aschenbrenner, as Superintendent. The school is in healthy and growing condition, having an enrollment of eighty-five and an attendance of seventy.
The Catholic Society of Dysart was organized in the fall of 1879. The first services were held at the house of John F. Redmond some time during the fall of 1878. Services were also held at the house of Geo. W. Brown. Among the first members, John F. Redmond and family, Thomas Redmond and family, Peter Bell and family, Geo. W. Brown and family, Wm. Drapsey and family and Antone Schicht and family. The first priest was Rev. P.E. Kinney, who was located at Vinton, and supplied this church every two weeks. He remained about two years. Since that time the Rev. A.E. Kinney has supplied the church. The church edifice was built in 1879 at a cost of $1,600. The building is 30x40 feet. There are over one humdred members.
The Evangelical Association was organized in 1878, with Rev. H. Brauer, as President. Among the first members were Fre, A.A. Sheubrenner and wife, J.A. Hotsel and wife, John Kielmer and wife, and Peter Minkle and wife.
This abode of the dead is located on the southeas corner of the northeast quarter of section 23. As association was duly organized and incorporated on April 12, 1880, consisting of the following named persons: Geo. Alexander, Joseph Dysart, W.H. Sherwin, F. Aschenbrenner, William Harrison, H.P. sherwin, H.H. Allison, W.W. Cochrane, D.A. Innis, T.H Stewart, W.H. Leeper, W.O. Beam, Joseph Furrow, G.W. McDonald, Peter Jensen, S.W. Arbuthnot, Conrad Brandon, C. Linder, L.J.Tussey, J.M. Messer, T.S. Talmage, D.E. Hallett, and C. Stohr. The first interment here was C.W. Hawks.
The business connected with the association is controlled by a Board of Directors.
The present officers are H.W. Howard, President; H.H. Allison, Secretary; Geo. Alexander, T.S. Talmage and peter Jensen, Directors.
Vedette Lodge I.O.O.F, No. 417, Dysart, was organized September 9, 1880. The charter members were C. H. Betebenner, william E Hodgin, Daniel Knee, L.D. Hulett, H.H. Scott, O.M. Harney.
The first officers were David Knee, N.G.; O.M. Harney, V.G.; C.H. Betebenner, Recording Secretary; L.D. Hulett, Permanent Secretary; Wm. E.Hodgin Treasurer. Those who have been elected to the chair are David Knee, William E, Hodgin, C.H. Betebenner, J.E. Hollabaugh, L.D.Hulett, J.H. Pinkerton.
The present officers are J.H. Pinkerton, N.G.; Arthur Sewell V.G.; R.B. Bech, Recording Secretary; David Knee, permanent Secretary; W.P. Pierce, Treasurer. The total membership since organization has been 53. The present membership is a 48. The lodge is in a flourishing condition.
Ascalon Lodge A.F. and A.M., No. 393, was organized April 15, 1878, with the following charter members, H.K. Snavely, B.S. Louthan, Geo. Alexander, W.H. Sherwin, A.R. Burnett, J. Furrow, Wm.W. Cochran, L.O. Ferson, C.E. Freeman, C.A. Haun and Jacob Sirrine. The first officers were H.K. Snavely, W.M.; B.S. Louthan, S.W.; George Alexander, J.W.; W.H. Sherwin, Treasurer; William W. Cochran, Secretary; Jacob Sirrine, S.D.; Joseph Furrow, J.D.; Charles E. Freeman, S.S.; L.P. Person, J.S.; A.R.Burnett, Tyler; Rev. C.A. Hawn, Chaplain. The chair has since been held by H.B.Ely, Jacob Sirrine and B.s.Louthan.
The present officers are B.S. Lothan, W.M.;Samuel Wood, S.W.; Geo. Alexander, J.W.; C.D.Fedderson, Treasurer; J.R. Caldwell, Secretary; A.R. Burnett, S.D.; Mr. Dickinson, J.D.; L.L.Wheeler, Tyler. the present membership is 39. there have been no deaths since organization and the lodge is in good working order.
The Iowa Legion of Honor, Lodge No. 86, was organized July2, 1880, at Dysart, by a charter granted by the Grand Lodge of the State. The following named were the charter members:
Geo. Alexander, W.W. Martin, w.E. Hodgins, Ben.Horreby, Levi Shoupe, A.H. Spayde, Wm.Hosler, W.H. Howard, W.W. Wilds, fred Howard, E. Pearson, G.C. Howard, T.S. Talmage, George W. reed, C.H. Betebenner, Oliver Wheaton, G.D Roe, C.S. Betz, Frank Hamblin, F.M. Spillman, F.A. Mussman, D.S. Farnsworth, David Hite, M.H. Howard, James Sherman, A.N. Stewart, J.E. Hollabaugh, T. c. Curyea, G.W. Ault, E.L. Fleming David Knee, Chauncey Hunt, John Jurgen, fred Ashcnbrenner, Geo. E Wean, J.F. Krahnbuel, S.P. Black, C.S. Baughart, C.J. Unger, J.B. Stewart, Peter Jensen, T.C. McElwaine, Richard Lukins, John Anderson, J.C. Clough, H.P. Sherwin, John Coutts, W.O. bean, G.M. Taggart, T.N. Ives, Ralph Beach, s.W. Acbuthnot, J.H. Pinkerton, Frank Clayton, S.W. Snyder, A.M. Woodward, R.E thompson and H.F. Hovey. P.C. Jones also became a member of this lodge by card. The first officers were P.C. Jones, President; T.N. Ives, Vice-President; E.Pearson, Recording Secretary; J.H. Pinkerton, Treasurer; W.O. Bean, Chaplain; W.E. Hodgins, Usher; Ralph Beach, Doorkeeper; C.J. Unger, Sentinel; Trustees, G.C. Howard, C.H. Betebanner, and Peter Jensen; P.C. Jones, S.P. Black and W.O. Bean, Medical Examiners. P.C. Jones held the Presidency one year. Then came H.W. Sherman for six months; Then Henry W. Howard, six months; then P.C. Jones, the present incumbent. The lodge has a membership of 45 at the present time. No deaths have occurred since organization. They had paid twenty-two assessments since organization to January 1, 1883. The lodge is in flourishing condition, meetings are held on the first and third Saturdays of each month, in the Odd Fellow's Hall. The organization of the lodge is largely due to the energy and perseverance of Dr. P.C. Jones.
The Perseverance Lodge, No. 68, I.O.G.T., was organized at Dysart, February 9, 1882, at Masonic Hall. It was the reorganization of the old lodge. The first officers elected were as follows: W.C.T., H.B. Ealey; W.V.T., Mrs. H. Smith; W.R.S., Mrs. Ella Hanlin; W.F.S., A. Sewall; W.T., J.R. Caldwell; W.M., T. Ellis; W.C., S. Arbuthnot; W.J.G., Mrs M. Black; W.O.G., Mr. Edmonds; W.D.M., Miss Etta Howard; W.R.S., Miss Fannie Means; W.L.S., Miss Anna McGuigan; W.A.S., Dr. Louthan; P.W., George Newton.
Since organization the membership of the lodge has amounted to 115, at present it numbers 95. The present officers are as follows; W.O.G., D. Harton; W.L.S., Gladys Barnett; W.T.G., E. Hiliman; W.R.S., Emma Burrows; W.M., Era Martin; W.C.T., J.R. Caldwell, W.D.M., O. Hottle; W.V.T., Mrs. M. Black; W.T., George Wood; W.C., Mary Bradbrook; W.F.S., J.E. Hollabaugh; W.A.S., W.P. Pierce; W.R. s., E.L. Newton.