Cheat Sheet for locating Iowa records.
- Iowa Dept. of Public Health - Vital Records - How to directly obtain copies of Iowa Vital Records.
- Iowa Digital Library - University of Iowa Libraries includes hundreds of
digital maps and other archived information for Shelby County and the State of Iowa.
- Iowa Genealogical Society - The IGS publishes collections of genealogical
records, such as census, church, marriages, births, deaths, cemeteries, naturalizations,
probate and wills and newspaper extractions.
- Iowa Genealogy Links
- at Cyndi's List of Genealogical Sites on the Internet (over 100 links).
- Official Shelby County Government Website - Courthouse info, County Recorder, etc.
State Historical Society of Iowa - The SHSI works to collect, preserve, interpret, and disseminate Iowa's past.
- State Library of Iowa
- Germanic Genealogy Society. Founded in 1979
as the German Interest Group, the society became a branch of the Minnesota
Genealogical Society in 1981. The name Germanic Genealogy Society (GGS) was
adopted in 1992. GGS is a branch of the Minnesota Genealogical Society (MGS).
GGS became a member of the Federation of Genealogy Societies in 2000.
- International resources - List of links for various countries of origin.
- LDS Family History Centers - Enter a city and state to see a list of nearby local family history libraries.
- Library of Congress - Local History & Genealogy Reading Room.
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) - NARA has 13 regional archives, with the Kansas City Branch holding Iowa records. NARA's three most important genealogical holdings are US census, military, and immigration and passenger records. NARA has mail-order forms, genealogy workshops and courses.
- National Genealogical Society - Provides leadership and education through various programs,
publications, and services , including a library and library loan program, quarterly journal, bimonthly newsletter, home study course, annual conference, computer interest group, and more.
- USGenWeb Project - Volunteer organization, organized by state and county. Each state & ech county has a coordinator. Resources available vary by state and county.
- WorldGenWeb Project