Back to
Poweshiek County
IAGenWeb

Cemeteries in
Poweshiek County, Iowa

 


CEMETERY RECORDS

The Surname Index to Poweshiek County in the Iowa Gravestone Photo Project. The GPP has passed the 1 million mark, with over 8,000 entries in Poweshiek County. The stone you seek is probably here!

The Surname Index to Poweshiek County in the WPA Graves Registration Records. This survey was done in the early 1930s, and is fairly complete, for graves up to that time.

Find A Grave also has thousands of entries in Poweshiek County.


Here are a few additional transcriptions, which may supplement the main sources, above.

A list of Recorded burials known to be unmarked.

Chester Township Cemetery partial transcription

Ivy Hill Cemetery, a.k.a. Malcom Cemetery partial transcription

Kent Cemetery transcription, with photo of Kent Chapel

Light Cemetery, a.k.a. Slack Cemetery, known burials

Lincoln Township Cemetery, a.k.a. Morrison Cemetery transcription

Sheley Cemetery transcription and description

MAPS AND INFORMATION ON CEMETERIES

Take a look at the Outline Map of Poweshiek County, from the Atlas of Poweshiek County, Iowa (1896) to get 'the big picture' when looking for cemeteries. The maps in this atlas have many zoom levels, and the individual township maps show excellent detail.

Following is a list of cemeteries in Poweshiek County, with some useful information. Clicking the coordinates will take you to a Google Maps view of the cemetery and surrounding area. When using Google Map coordinates, look for the green arrow, NOT the orange ballon! The orange balloon shows where Google thinks the nearest street address is.

Allen Cemetery (pioneer cemetery), Union Township, Section 20, 512th Avenue, and 90th Street.  Some stones were moved to Forest Home Cemetery, but the remains were left on the site.  The exact location is uncertain - there are no visible traces.

Beason Cemetery (pioneer cemetery), Union Township, north edge of Section 27, south and a little east of the intersection of Forest Home Road and 110th Street in section 22.  The access is a quarter-mile track through private property on the south of a fence-line, opening west off 110th Street, 3/8ths mile southeast of its intersection with Forest Home Road.  Thirteen stones from the 1675s.  This cemetery is identified as Parcel 630-3008650 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.
Beason Cemetery: 41.5376N, 92.57298W

Beulah Cemetery see Lisor Cemetery

Blake Cemetery (family pioneer cemetery), Jefferson Township, Section 1, 310th Avenue and 240th Street; turn right at next corner north.  Cemetery is located on top of hill, south of the farm drive and across a creek.  There is a wooded area on left, and cropland on right.  There are nine stones visible.  Early burials in 1879 were Virginia Rector and Helen Blake.

Blue Point Cemetery (Upper or North) (pioneer cemetery), Washington Township, Section 23, 450th Avenue and 55th Street.  Upper Blue Point was laid out in 1869 in the churchyard of the Blue Point Christian Union church, organized in 1863.  There are stones dating back to the 1675s.  WPA records say north instead of upper.
Upper Blue Point Cemetery: 41.642N, 92.678W

Blue Point Cemetery (Lower or South), Washington Township, Section 23, 450th Avenue and 55th Street is found in the churchyard of the Blue Point Methodist church.  It was laid out in about 1870 around the time the church was built on land Bartholomew Vestal purchased from William McNabb.  The original lot was one acre, and the purchase price was $1.00.  The cemetery was later enlarged to three acres after James Spillman donated additional land (1911 History, page 285-6).  The two Blue Point cemeteries are about one-half mile apart.  WPA records say south rather than lower.
Blue Point Cemetery (Lower): 41.631N, 92.673W

Bone Cemetery (1), Union Township, Section 10, 50th Avenue 100th Street West of crossroads, south of Diamond Trail.  This is the area of the Fun Valley Ski Resort.  There are graves visible near a ski lift southwest of the ski area.

Bone Cemetery (2), Union Township, Section 15, graves are located across the gravel road and not visible.  The cemetery was laid out on Thomas McCoy's land.

Boswell aka Harper Cemetery (pioneer cemetery), Jackson Township Section 32, 150th Street and 100th Avenue on the Mahaska-Poweshiek County line.  The gate at the road into lane west to cemetery.  Laid out on ground owned by William and Mary Boswell and used as a burying ground for many years before the trustees of the township purchased it for $100 on March 28, 1867.  It was known locally as the Harper Cemetery because a family by the name of Harper lived on the adjoining homestead.  Of the graves, 43 of the 165 names read in 1974 were of deaths prior to the purchase by the township.  Several of those early deaths were of people who had earlier lived in Parke County, Indiana, and came to Agricola (now Barnes City) and were members of the Primitive Baptist Church.  Two soldiers of the War of 1812 are buried there, as well as one Revolutionary War soldier.  Stones were found in this cemetery, and in Barnes City, for Lewis and Deborah Barnes so it is thought their graves were moved to Barnes City.

Brooklyn Memorial Cemetery, originally called the I.O.O.F. Cemetery, Bear Creek Township, Section 13, 385th Avenue and Boundary Street, located on east side of Brooklyn.  The southeast corner is the older pioneer section.  The north part has more recent burials.  This cemetery was was originally laid out in 1868.  It is presently comprised of three plots:  The oldest is at the southeast; north of this is the I.O.O.F., and on the northwest is the newest plot.  The Poweshiek County Geographic Information System identifies these as Parcels 050-0031200, 050-0031100 and 060-1499200, respectively.
Brooklyn Memorial Cemetery:  41.7353N, 92.4320W

Calvary Cemetery, Bear Creek Township, Section 24, northeast corner of the intersection of Boundary and E. Green Streets in Brooklyn.  The original cemetery, laid out in 1878, is identified as Parcel 050-1498900 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.  The addition to the west is identified as Parcel 060-1498700.
Calvary Cemetery:  41.7321N, 92.4356W

Calvary Cemetery, Grant Township, Section 17, west of Highway 146 on 1st Avenue at the south edge of Grinnell.  In 1895, an adjoining plot (the westmost 100 ft., or so, of the southwest corner of Hazelwood Cemetery) was purchased from the I.O.O.F. lodge by St. Columbanus Catholic church (predecessor to the current St. Mary's) and consecrated for Catholic burials.  It was named Calvary Cemetery.  This plot is identified as Parcel 170-037740000 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.
Calvary Cemetery:  41.73618N, 92.73967W

Cemetery Hill Cemetery (pioneer cemetery), Sugar Creek Twp, Section 17, (very difficult to locate), 500 Avenue and 28th Street.  All graves were moved before WPA records.

Chester Township Cemetery, Chester Township, Section 9, north of 320 Avenue and 33rd Street, on both east and west sides of the road.  The old part lies on the east side of the road, the newer on the west.  The first meeting of Chester Burying Ground Association was held May 28, 1866.  The first death was 4-year-old Harry Stockwell in 1864 after he met instant death by falling under the wheels of a heavy wagon.  Burials on the west side began in 1906.
Chester Cemetery:  41.841N, 92.718W

Chief Poweshiek's grave. The March 23, 1939 issue of the Grinnell Herald-Register:  W.E. McCaulley is quoted as telling of his visit with an Indian in the timber of a hillside in (Chester Township?) Section 21.  When Mr. McCauley was a young fellow, he was hunting when he looked up and saw an Indian named Charlie Sheep.  He asked Charlie what he was doing there and Charlie said Chief Poweshiek was buried there.  At that time, a boulder marked the spot on the hillside.

Clover Hill Cemetery aka Ewart Cemetery, now Pleasant Township Cemetery, Pleasant Township, Section l7 & 20, Ewart Road F46, on curve west of Ewart, on the sections' shared boundary.
Pleasant Township Cemetery:  41.645N, 92.617W

Deep River aka Golden Rod Cemetery, Deep River Township, Section 9, located on School Street, and just north of Highway 85.  It lies on the east edge of the town of Deep River and was laid out about the time that Deep River was established in 1884.  Golden Rod Cemetery was established by the Masonic Lodge, but was later turned over to the town of Deep River for maintenance and management.

Dresden Cemetery (pioneer cemetery), Deep River Township, Section 15, 510th Avenue and Highway 21, one-half mile east and one-quarter mile north.  Soon after the village of Dresden was settled, a burial ground was needed.  A site was chosen about a mile and a half south and became known as the cemetery in the middle of the road because the north-south road went around the 1.9 acre site on a knoll.  The road has since been moved.  Charles Cox laid out the cemetery in 1862.  The first burial was Martin Funk, the 1-year-old son of Michael Funk in April 1856.  Diphtheria struck the Cram family, causing death of all but one or two of the children who are buried here.  The dead were wrapped in sheets saturated in alcohol and taken by the neighbors at night for burial to prevent the spread of the dreaded disease.  A number of Civil War Veterans are buried here, and also one veteran of the War of 1812, Edward Ware.
Dresden Cemetery:  41.561N, 92.346W

Ewart Cemetery aka Clover Hill Cemetery, now Pleasant Township Cemetery, Pleasant Township, Section l7 & 20, Ewart Road F46, on curve west of Ewart, on the sections' shared boundary.
Pleasant Township Cemetery:  41.645N, 92.617W

Evergreen Cemetery aka Walnut Creek Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Section 2, 240th Street and 310th Avenue, located in northwest part of the road intersection.  One stone remains from a large cemetery.  There was a church, cemetery and a school located at this crossroads.  No buildings existing now.  Mr. Ruhl deeded a 40-rod x 40-rod (10 acre) corner for church and cemetery in 1650 's.

Forest Home Cemetery, Union Township, Section 29, west on Forest Home Road to 405th Avenue.  Stones from Allen Cemetery were reset in Forest Home Cemetery, but not the remains.  Forest Home is the largest burying ground in the township and was laid out in 1859 on land owned by Irvin Farmer and Elias Williams.  Mr. Farmer's wife was the first burial in the winter of 1859-60.  Twin boys of John S. Allyn were next; Elias Williams in the fall of 1860, or winter of 1861, and John S. Allyn was buried in September 1862, according to the 1880 Poweshiek County history.  In 1978 Ernst and Groves found three stones saying 1854.
Forest Home Cemetery:  41.538N, 92.615W

Friends Cemetery or Sugar Creek Cemetery, Washington Township, Section 30, set in east of 156th Street, 350 ft. north of 462th Avenue on the Jasper-Poweshiek County line.  There is a grass lane from 156th Street back to the cemetery.  A Friends Meeting House, with the burial ground near, was built in 1856, on the County line.  The first burials were made, then the location was changed further up the hill to its present site.  The original plot remained and the burials were left as they were first made.  This cemetery is now identified as Parcel 740-3009600 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.  The Meeting House no longer appears on aerial photographs.  Only a single cemetery plot appears at this time.
Sugar Creek Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.6279N, 92.7656W

Golden Rod Cemetery aka Deep River Cemetery, Deep River Township, Section. 9, located on School Street and just north of Highway 85.  It lies on the east edge of Deep River.  It was laid out about the time that Deep River was established in 1884.  The Railroad went through this area and Dresden business and homes were moved to the new location.  Dresden has few dwellings now but is located at the intersection of Highways 85 and 21.  Golden Rod Cemetery was established by the Masonic Lodge, but was later turned over to the town of Deep River for maintenance and management.

Grinnell Cemetery  See Hazelwood Cemetery.

Guernsey Cemetery, Lincoln Township ,Sect. 23, East of 460th Avenue and 230th Street.  Formerly the United Presbyterian Church Cemetery - the church stood to the west of the burial ground.  The church was moved to Guernsey after the railroad was built about 1884.  J.D. Wolf gave a plot of land near the center of section for the North English Cemetery beside the church in 1870.  The cemetery was platted on May 20, 1869, and the first burial (of George E. Sanders, Jr.) took place the same day.  The name was changed when the railroad went through the area.  The North English River lies to the north of the cemetery.
Guernsey Cemetery:  41.631N, 92.336W

Gwin Cemetery, Warren Township, Section 21, one mile southwest of Carnforth.  Stones bearing the dates of 1852, 1853, 1854, and 1856 and two stones with no dates comprise the information available.  The first death to occur within the present bounds of Warren Township was Mr. Bivens, or Mr. Bevans.  He had no family but stayed in the community with no permanent occupation.  While out hunting he was lost in the timber and remained out overnight.  From this exposure he died at the home of Jacob Yeager in 1848.  He was buried in a newly laid out cemetery, but the grave was not marked.

Harmony Cemetery, Lincoln Township, Section 5, south of 420th Avenue just east of County Road V21 (200th Street).  This cemetery is officially a 5.84 acre plot, Parcel 330-3007200 in the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System, the southern part of which is under active cultivation.  A Moravian church (of which no trace remains visible) was located on the north side of the road, in Warren Township, associated with the cemetery on the south side of the road.  Christian D. Breniman deeded one acre of land for the cemetery.  The first burial was Mrs. Abraham Fry, June 1, 1869, before the land was permanently laid out in 187O.  The second burial was Nicholas Nassbaum.  1880 Poweshiek County history.
Harmony Cemetery:  41.6881N, 92.3942W

Harper Cemetery aka Boswell Cemetery (pioneer cemetery), Jackson Township Section 32, 150th Street and 100th Avenue on Mahaska-Poweshiek County line.  Gate at the road into lane west to cemetery.  Laid out on ground owned by William and Mary Boswell and used as a burying ground for many years before the trustees of the township purchased it for $100, March 28, 1867.  It was known locally as the Harper Cemetery because a family by the name of Harper lived on the adjoining homestead.  Forty-three of the 165 names read in 1974 were of deaths prior to the purchase by the township.  Several of the early deaths were living in Parke County, Indiana, and came to Agricola (Barnes City) and were members of the Primitive Baptist Church.  Two soldiers of the war of 18l2 are buried there as is one Revolutionary War soldier.  Stones were found here and in Barnes City for Lewis and Deborah Barnes so it is thought their graves were moved to Barnes City.
Harper Cemetery:  41.512N, 92.493W

Hartwick Cemetery, Jefferson Township, SW corner of Section 27, 1/2 mi. W of Hartwick, NW corner of Co. Hwy F17 (350th Avenue) and 220th Street.  Entrance on W side, off 220th St.  This 1-1/2 acre cemetery, identified as Parcel 290-0839650 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System, was laid out many years before the railroad went through and Hartwick was founded to its east.  The Herman family probably gave the land, as they lived there and their small son was first to be buried there (baby Herman, in 1871, another a few years later; these two little graves were often visited by school children from across the road).  Two additions had been made by 1937, and there were 159 graves.  Korn and Rowland family members are buried here.
Hartwick Cemetery:  41.7905N, 92.3570W

Hayes aka Oak Grove (Catholic) Cemetery, Washington Township, Section 9, east of Highway 146 and north of Ewart Road F-46.

Hazelwood Cemetery, also known as the Grinnell Cemetery, Grant Township, Section 17, west on 1st Avenue from Highway 146, at the south edge of Grinnell.  J.B. Grinnell donated thirteen acres of land covered with clumps of hazel, off from the highway, abruptly rolling and overlooking the projected city on the southwest edge, for a burial spot for Grinnell, and named it Hazelwood.  The first burial was a Mrs. Jane (Christiana?) Patterson in 1856.  It was twenty five years before the first enlargement, when the I.O.O.F. lodge purchased land adjoining for $100 an acre.  In 1890, the Ladies Cemetery Association was formed to supervise the sexton's work (sexton [n.], a person who looks after a church and churchyard, sometimes acting as bell-ringer and formerly as a gravedigger) and oversee the upkeep of the area.  In 1895, an adjoining plot at the southwest corner of Hazelwood Cemetery was purchased from the I.O.O.F. lodge by St. Columbanus Catholic church (predecessor to the current St. Mary's) and consecrated for Catholic burials.  It was named Calvary Cemetery.  In 1955 the Ladies Cemetery Association dissolved, transferring property and management to the city of Grinnell.
Hazelwood Cemetery:  41.737N, 92.736W

Holderness Plot.  Location unknown.  Mentioned in 1880 Poweshiek County History.

(Old) Indian Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Section 1, on the Poweshiek -Iowa County Line.  There are no signs of graves.  Drive to the last house on the west side of the road.  It is necessary to go through the barnyard and across a bridge for Walnut Creek, then meander to the right and up through a field to the ridge.  This is an Indian and pioneer burying ground in the very north east corner of Section 1.  It is lightly wooded.  This ridge overlooks the Iowa River valley.

I.O.O.F. Cemeteries see Brooklyn, Montezuma or Searsboro.

Ivy Hill Cemetery, also known as Malcom Cemetery or the Masonic IOOF Cemetery, Malcom Township, Section 26, southwest corner of the intersection of Highway 63 and 400th Avenue, just north of the town of Malcom.  Has been enclosed by chain link type fence.  Cemetery entrances are on the west side, opening off Washington Street.  This cemetery is now identified as Parcel 740-3009600 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.
Ivy Hill Cemetery:  41.7164N, 92.5533W

Jackson Township Cemetery aka Montezuma I.O.O.F., Jackson Township, Sections 6 & 7 Diamond Trail, just west of Highway 63 and then south within the city of Montezuma. The cemeteries adjoin and are on the southwest part of Montezuma. In 1852 Gideon Wilson gave five acres to the churches for burial purposes. Mrs. W. B. Hardin, who died April 1857, was the first burial. The Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges purchased ten acres in 1864 adjoining and in the same enclosure as Jackson Township Cemetery.
Jackson Township Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.582N, 92.536W

Kent Cemetery, Madison Township, Section 23, on the north side of state road V18 just over 4 miles north of Brooklyn, where V18 is coincident with Kent Church Road.  Kent Union Chapel is at the south-east corner of the cemetery. The first burial was Mrs. Coulson in 1859. In 1937 there were 263 graves, many early settlers.  There are just less than 400 identifiable graves, ca. 2010.

Light Cemetery aka Slack Cemetery, Deep River Township, Section 6, Highway 85, one and one-half miles west of Deep River on the north side of the highway and back in the field. Both Lights and Slacks owned the ground in the area. The Light families, two brothers and their families came quite early to the area. Many of their families were buried but the records are not complete and many stones lost and sometimes there were no stones placed on graves; sometimes a rock or a wooden piece.

Lincoln Township Cemetery aka Morrison Cemetery, Lincoln Township, Section 4, 420th Avenue and 210th Street.  It is on the east side of the road south of the above corner.  About 20 grave sites fill the lots but only a few graves still are marked.

Lisor Cemetery, or Beulah Cemetery, Jackson Township, Section 22, on the north side of the 520th Avenue one-half mile east of 160th Street.  It is located two miles north and one-half mile east of Barnes City.  Many children of immigrants were buried here.  Lisor cemetery is identified as Parcel 240-3012000 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.
Lisor Cemetery: 41.5387N, 92.4605W

Little Mount Baptist Cemetery, Union Township, Section 8 or 22, 495th Ave., and 80th Street, south of Diamond Trail north of Montezuma. A church was located there but has since been removed. This burying ground was on R. F.. Steele's land. Gary Johnson died at the age of 5 and must lie in an unmarked grave.

Lutheran Cemetery aka Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery, Grant Township, Section 17, Section 35,(??) 60th Street and 420th Avenue. A few stones are visible, but church records show 15 burials. Other information said there should be 40 burials there. Louis Severson sold an acre of ground September 20,1871, to use for a cemetery at a cost of $2. A church was organized June 17,1899 and used until for Norwegian services once a month until 1917. The building was sold in 1943. It was not on the site of the cemetery.

Lytle Cemetery, Scott Township, Section 16, 155th Street and 450th Avenue, then one-half mile north This cemetery is located high on a road bank on the west side of the road. Many of the stones are missing.
Lytle Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.653N, 92.484W

Malcom Cemetery see Ivy Hill Cemetery

Masonic IOOF Cemetery see Ivy Hill Cemetery

McDonald Cemetery, Union Township, Section 9 (WPA records say Section 5). Henry McDonald came to Iowa in 1846 and bought the farm on which he is buried. He built a log cabin to raise his family. One day in 1847, the Indians captured Henry. A Tribal Council was held and they decided to let him go free if he could run the gauntlet and survive. Two lines of Indians formed facing each other, armed with swinging tomahawks, but he survived and was set free. In November 1853, he became ill and knowing he would die, he had his sons drive him to the plot near the road. He told the sons, "I'm going to die. Bury me at this spot near the road so that as folks drive by they'll not forget my grave." However the roads were changed. The lone marker still stands. It reads: Henry McDonald, died November 14, 1853, age 66." Two children are also buried there.

Mill Grove Cemetery, aka Moore and/or Stillwell Cemetery, Sugar Creek Township, Section 25, Highway 146 and River Road. Drive west to first drive and north through the field to top of the hill. Mill Grove Post Office was south and east of Searsboro about 3-4 miles, just west of highway 146. There was a town there by the name of Stillwell.
Mill Grove Cemetery: 41.527N, 92.656W

Montezuma I.O.O.F. and Jackson Township, Cemetery Sections 6 & 7 Diamond Trail, just west of Highway 63 and then south within the city of Montezuma. The cemeteries adjoin and are on the southwest part of Montezuma. In 1852 Gideon Wilson gave five acres to the churches for burial purposes. Mrs. W. B. Hardin, who died April 1857, was the first burial. The Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges purchased ten acres in 1864 adjoining and in the same enclosure as Jackson Township Cemetery.

Moore Cemetery aka Mill Grove and/or Stillwell Cemetery, Sugar Creek Township, Section 25, Highway 146 and River Road. Drive west to first drive and north through the field to top of the hill.

Morrison Cemetery aka Lincoln Township Cemetery, Lincoln Township, Section 4, 420th Avenue & 210th Street. It is on the east side of the road south of the above corner. About 20 grave sites fill the lots but only a few graves still are marked.
Morrison Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.675N, 92.377W

Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery, Grant Township, Section 35, 60th Street and 420th Avenue. A few stones are visible, but church records show 15 burials. Other information said there should be 40 burials there. Louis Severson sold an acre of ground September 20,1871, to use for a cemetery at a cost of $2. A church was organized June 17,1899 and used until for Norwegian services once a month until 1917. The building was sold in 1943. It was not on the site of the cemetery.
Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.695N, 92.669W

Oak Grove Catholic Cemetery aka Hayes Cemetery, Washington Township, Section 9, east of Highway 146 and north of Ewart Road F-46

Old Victor Cemetery.  See Wilson Cemetery.

Pearce Cemetery. Location unknown. Mentioned in 1880 Poweshiek County History.

Pioneer Burial Ground No. 1, Madison Township Section 5, on the south side of the road on Tama -Poweshiek County line, possibly about one-quarter mile from west corner of section. It is shown on the 1896 Plat Atlas of Poweshiek County.

Pioneer Burial Ground No. 2, Lincoln Township, Section 27, 460th Avenue, east of Highway 21. Travelers were buried in the house yard. Was a stage coach route in early history.

Pleasant Township Cemetery, Pleasant Township, Section l7 & 20, Ewart Road F46 on curve west of the town of Ewart. This is on the section boundary lines. This cemetery has also been known as Clover Hill Cemetery and as Ewart Cemetery.

Rundle Burial Ground, Deep River Township, Section 3, located on the east side of Highway 21 on hill south of the creek called Deep River. Exact location unknown. There was a family named Rundle who lived in this area. Some records say that there were eight graves in this location.

Saint Bernard's Cemetery co-located, but east of, Searsboro I.O.O.F., Sugar Creek Township, Section 4.  These cemeteries adjoin on the high ground on the north edge of Searsboro.  At least one obituary identified a burial here as being in "Calvary" cemetery.  Is "Calvary" an alternative name for this cemetery?  This cemetery is now identified as Parcel 510-3011000 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.
Saint Bernard's Cemetery:   41.5824N, -92.7011W

Searsboro I.O.O.F. co-located, but west of, Saint Bernard's Cemetery, Sugar Creek Township, Section 4.  These cemeteries adjoin on the high ground on the north edge of Searsboro.  This cemetery is now identified as Parcel 510-3011100 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.
Searsboro I.O.O.F. Cemetery: 41.5824N, -92.7023W

Sheley Cemetery (pronounced She-lee), Union Township, Section 34, west of the intersection of 537th Avenue and 110th Street.  A lane (537th Ave.) goes west to the cemetery from the intersection.  This burying ground is located on top of a hill, north and west of the site of Browntown.  Moses Saunders was buried there in 1851.  This cemetery is now county property, identified as Parcel 630-3008700 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.  Thanks to Randy Schmadeke for update information on this cemetery.
Sheley Cemetery: 41.51275N, 92.57193W

Sheridan Cemetery, Sheridan Township, Section 9, Highway 63 and west on T58 for one-half mile.  The Methodist Episcopal Church is located on the south side of the road.  The cemetery is on the north side.  This cemetery was laid out in 1875 on two acres of land given by Mr. and Mrs. Amos Krise.  The east half was platted into 65 lots, west half into 39 lots.  Previously burials had been on the east side of Section 4 on land owned by Doctor Mann.  Several interments had been made and after the present church and cemetery were completed, those interred were moved to Sheridan or to Have or Grandview in Tama County.  In 1937 there were 176 graves, including that of Enos Peck Gifford, a soldier in the War of 1812.
Sheridan Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.834N, 92.601W

Sigafoos Cemetery, Bear Creek Township, Section 17, located 3 miles west of Brooklyn. It is 80 rods north of Old Highway 6 or F29 and 142 Street. It apparently was located on east side of road. No stones are visible.

Slack Cemetery aka Light Cemetery, Deep River Township, Section 6, Highway 85, one and one-half miles west of Deep River on the north side of the highway and back in the field. Both Lights and Slacks owned the ground in the area. The Light families, two brothers and their families came quite early to the area. Many of their families were buried but the records are not complete and many stones lost and sometimes there were no stones placed on graves; sometimes a rock or a wooden piece.

Squire(s) Cemetery, Madison Township, Section 12, 190th St. between 310th and 320th Avenue on the west side of the road on a knoll south of a cedar tree. It is on the Madison-Jefferson Township line. Sumner L. Squire, his wife and others were moved to Brooklyn cemetery. Stones were gone by the 1937 when the WPA records were recorded.

Stanley babies' graves. Two babies were buried in the northeast corner of Section 33 on the lawn of a home. They were babies born to the wife of Archie Stanley and to his daughter 1920-1935. A lilac bush marked the spot.

St. Bernard's Cemetery.  See Saint Bernard's Cemetery.

Stillwell Cemetery aka Mill Grove and/or Moore Cemetery, Sugar Creek Township, Section 25, Highway 146 and River Road. Drive west to first drive and north through the field to top of the hill.

Sugar Creek Cemetery.  See Friends Cemetery.

Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, Malcom Township, Section 4, Highway 63 & north of 370th Ave. German Lutheran Church is located on same site as the cemetery. The church has been also called the Evangelical Trinity Lutheran. The church was built in 1868 and the cemetery laid out at that time.
Trinity Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.771N, 92.592W

Union Cemetery.  See Hartwick Cemetery.

Unnamed - In Union Township, Section 4, six graves lie under the north end of Lake Ponderosa. A family had died of scarlet fever and was buried in the yard and the house burned. (pioneer cemetery)

Walnut Creek Cemetery aka Evergreen Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Section 2, 240th Street and 310th Avenue, located in northwest part of the road intersection. One stone remains from a larger cemetery. At one time there was a church and school located at this crossroads, but buildings no longer exist. Mr. Ruhl deeded property for church and cemetery in 1650 's. No further information.

Westfield Cemetery, Grant Township, Section 31, 420th Avenue and 20th Street on south side of Interstate 80. Westfield church is at the same location. This is a non-denominational church. In 1937 there were 211 graves.
Westfield Cemetery: 41.694N, 92.749W

West Liberty Cemetery, Sugar Creek Township, Section 12. This Cemetery surrounds the Church of Christ located just south of County Highway F57, Diamond Trail Road, at its intersection with 500th Avenue.
West Liberty Cemetery: 41.5744N, 92.6435W

Wilson Cemetery or Old Victor Cemetery, a pioneer cemetery in Warren Township, Section 25, southwest of Victor.  Not road-accessible.  Walking in along the fence-rows, it's about 1/3 mi. from the north (400th Ave.) or south (410th Ave.).  This cemetery is identified as Parcel 670-3009500 by the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System.  The town of Victor was in this area until the railroad was built; the town moved north and east to be near it.
Wilson Cemetery:  41.7088N, 92.3093W

Winslow Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Section 11, 310th Avenue west of 240th Street, south of the site of the Walnut Creek Church. WPA records say there are 272 graves of pioneer settlers.
Winslow Cemetery, Poweshiek Co, IA: 41.844N, 92.323W


If you can take the time to figure out how to use it to best advantage, the Poweshiek County Geographic Information System is capable of significantly better aerial-photograph detail than Google Maps. It also can identify current land-ownership, and provide other information.