MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA

HISTORY

WILTON, MOSCOW
and
YESTERYEAR
1776-1976

Pg 171

Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church

Transcribed by Shirley Plumb, April 26, 2015

     Six miles northwest of Wilton is a little country church called Sugar reek Presbyterian Church. It was organized on June 10, 1855 by George D. Porter, the pastor at Tipton. Following the organization of a Presbyterian church in Wilton Junction in 1860, the same pastor served both congregations. Services were held first in Sharon and Sugar Creek school houses and later in White Pigeon and Hebron schools. In 1866 the present location was chosen and the building now in use was erected.

     As the Wilton church grew stronger it had its own pastor and separated from the Sugar Creek group, which had a succession of students and young men for ministers. Three sons of the church, Thomas A. Roberts, Aaron Kiser and John F. Hinkhouse studied for the ministry and Myrtle Hinkhouse went to China as a missionary.

     In 1950ís and 60ís many improvement and renovations were made. In 1966 a new organ was purchased and a new piano had been added. A stained glass window of Christ knocking at the door, preserved from the Wilton Methodist church, was given to Sugar Creek by George Kiser in memory of his wife Thelma. It has been placed at the front of the sanctuary with an electric light behind it.

     When the road on the north side of the church yard and cemetery was widened in 1966 the bodies of those buried there were removed to the Sharon Cemetery. The entrance to the churchyard was changed at that time so that there is a complete drive around the church.

     At the present time Rev. G. W. Ukena of the Wilton Presbyterian Church is serving as pastor.

* ~ * ~ *

     Remember when you climbed steep, narrow stairs in the old city hall to reach the new library?

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Return to Wilton, Moscow & Yesteryear Contents

Return to History Books Index

Back to Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page

Page created April 26, 2015 by Lynn McCleary