the years of 1875
and 1876, the Christian Church built its own
worship center. The
30’ x 40’ building was erected ¾ mile south of the
center of Ohio Township on the west side of the road.
In 1881, the first post office in Ohio Township
(Reed) was located just ¼ mile north of this church at
the home of Isaac Holmes.
Later that year at the center of Ohio Township, the
town of Ego was “laid off” and plotted for James Hull
(owner) by R. A. Patterson, (surveyor).
Soon afterward, the narrow gauge railroad came
through this new “town”.
In 1882 the post office was moved from Reed to Ego;
and then the town was renamed Truro in 1884. At this time,
the church was moved to a new location just west of the
building was already being remodeled by 1893.
It was at this time that a belfry with a glistening
aluminum spire was added.
June 22, 1898,
the building was struck by lightning and burned,
destroying all records.
The organ and eight pews were the only things
bell wasn’t damaged and it is the same bell in use
was the evening of the first date of Sadie and Sammy
Lamb was the minister at this time and he died later that
thousand dollars was received as an insurance settlement
and was immediately applied towards the new building.
Truro Christian Church