| Harper, Iowa Centennial
NOT TOO BIG. . . BUT NOT TOO LITTLE
We, your Harper Centennial Book Committee, have endeavored to collect the precious memories of our town and community during its first 100 years... 1879-1979.
Time has faded some of the photographs but not the treasury of records we have attempted to collect from as many sources as time and energy allowed. We have tried to be as accurate as possible and have not intentionally omitted important people, places and facts. It has been work, but fun and most rewarding.
We are grateful to the many wonderful people who have aided our search and efforts in any way and we hope this book will help preserve the memories and heritage of the past.
HARPER. . . . "NOT TOO BIG-BUT NOT TOO LITTLE”. May it live on to celebrate another centennial and still another. . . . .
NOTE: Please contact the next Centennial Book Committee in the year 2079 concerning any omissions, typographical errors, misspellings or any other oversight that this Centennial Book Committee of 1979 has recorded inadvertently.
CURRENT PICTURES, courtesy of Larry Striegel, Harper
The bell in the logo on the cover of the book, was donated to the Methodist Church by the Harper Brothers Publishing Company as a memento for naming the town of Harper after the publishing company. The Methodist Church was built in 1873 and the bell called the people to church until 1958 when the church was closed. The bell has been preserved for its historic value. Logo designed by Henry R. Williams.
Printed by Sutherland Printing
Coordinator's Note: This work was made possible by the very generous donation of this book by Rebecca Callahan. Thank you very much, Rebecca!
Transcribed by Ralph Leonard.
| These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & Other Contributors
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer --all of which apply to Keokuk Co.
Back to top of page Return to Keokuk Co. IAGenWeb Back to top of page
Photo background collage is made from penny postcards of Keokuk County, donated to the USGenWeb Archives