This place is located near the center of Section 11, Clear Creek Township, on one of the streams helping to form Indian Creek, and is less than two miles from the northern line of the county. As the crow flies, the town is almost fifteen miles from Newton; by the usual road is over twenty. The town, although twelve miles from Colfax, on the Rock Island road, has some compensation that it can reach the Northwestern road at Colo, in Story County, also about twelve miles distance.
Maxwell & Co. started a store at this place in 1868.
The Methodist Protestant society, of Clyde, built a church during the Fall of 1874, which is 40x60 feet in size, with a spire and bell, the latter, a present from Warren Maxwell, of Iowa Center. Elkanah Preston supervised the construction, and the building was dedicated November 15th. Its cost was about $2,500.
February 3, 1875, at 2 o'clock A. M., during the prevalence of a great storm, the residence of Charles B. Maxwell was burned to the ground. The loss was about $4,400, insured for $2,050.
It is within the range of probabilities that a railway project will be evolved from some busy brain that will take practical form to unite this town and Greencastle with the railway system of the continent. But while that remains unrealized, the farmers of the northwestern part of Jasper County can raise cattle and swine to their heart's content and ask little odds of the railways that charge the price of a bushel and a half to get another bushel to market.
The business of Clyde is represented by a dry goods store and two or three shops. There are twelve or fifteen dwelling houses.
|To inquire about volunteering for the IAGenWeb Project enter here and Join Our Team!||Server space for the IAGenWeb Project site is provided by the Friends of Iowa Gen Web|