Jaeger - Jones
|Arthur Charles Jaeger
ARTHUR CHARLES JAEGER, conducting an upholstering and undertaking establishment on North Main street, in Mount Pleasant, was born in Burlington, Iowa, July, 7, 1870, while his parents, Melcher and Anna (Dauner) Jaeger, were both natives of Germany, born there in 1834 and 1835 respectively. They were married in Germany, December 4, 1857, and soon came to America on an old-time sailing vessel which was about thirty days in making the voyage, during which they encountered two severe storms, but at length anchor was dropped in the harbor of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Jaeger did not tarry in the east but made their way at once to Burlington, Iowa. There the father learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed until about 1875, and has since been employed in the West Burlington Railroad shops. Unto him and his wife have been born twelve children, but only two are now living: Arthur Charles; and L. M. Jaeger. The latter married Miss Lizzie Hahn, of Mount Rose, Iowa, and they reside in Burlington, where he is engaged in business as a cigarmaker. By a previous marriage he had two children, Hazel and Arnold. Melcher Jaeger votes independently, and in religious faith both he and his wife are connected with the German Lutheran church, at Burlington.
Arthur Charles Jaeger was educated in the public schools of his native city and entered business life when fifteen years of age as an employe of W. G. Hoer, a cigar box manufacturer on Jefferson street, Burlington, with whom he remained for two years. He then spent six months in the Embalming Burial Case factory, after which he learned the upholstering business, remaining in the employ of the firm of Chittenden & Eastman for four years. He next spent one year as an employe in the Burlington mattress factory, after which he was again connected with Chittenden & Eastman until 1894. In March, 1895, he came to Mount Pleasant and worked for J. M. Brunner & Brother, conducting business under the name of the Mount Pleasant Furniture Company. He occupied that position until September, 1903, and in November, of that year, he opened an undertaking and upholstering establishment of his own. He had learned the undertaking business with Mr. Brunner, of Mount Pleasant, and was licensed by the state board of health at Des Moines, having fine undertaking rooms at No. 217 North Main street, where he also conducts an upholstering business, and is accorded a liberal patronage.
In September, 1900, Mr. Jaeger was married to Miss Allie B. Johnson, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Her father died about a quarter of a century ago, while her mother, Mrs. Matilda (Ketcham) Johnson, is now living with Mr. and Mrs. Jaeger. In the Johnson family there were two children: Frank, who is married and lives in Ottumwa, Iowa, where he is employed by the Pennsylvania Oil Company; and Allie B., who was born on a farm south of Mount Pleasant and is now the wife of our subject. Mrs. Jaeger was educated in the public schools of Mount Pleasant, and by her marriage has become the mother of two sons: Marion Arthur, born September 30, 1901; and Orville Melcher, November 20, 1902.
In his political views Mr. Jaeger is a stalwart republican, but without aspiration for office. He is a member of Mount Pleasant Lodge, No. 8, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of Pythias, and both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. He is recognized as an enterprising, active and energetic business man, reliable in his trade transactions, and moreover, he deserves all the praise implied in the term, a self-made man, for since the age of fifteen years he has been dependent entirely upon his own resources, working for advantages which other boys had provided for them, and winning advancement through capability, integrity and unfaltering diligence.
(Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa. .Chicago: Hobart Publishing Company, 1906. pp. 375-376) (PE)
WILLIAM H. JACKMAN is the proprietor of the City Hotel and livery stable, New London, Iowa, and carrier of mail and passengers between New London and Lowell. He was born in Washington County, Pa., Aug. 12, 1832, and is the son of Nathan and Catherine (Hollman) Jackman. His father was born in Washington County, Pa. The family were residents of Pennsylvania for several generations, and were of Irish descent. His mother was born near Hagerstown, Md., of German descent, and went to Washington County, Pa., with her parents when but twelve years of age. In the spring of 1844 the family moved to Ft. Madison, Iowa, and a few weeks later (in July) to Henry County, locating in Jackson Township. They spent one year in that locality, and then removed to Marion Township, Lee County, where Mr. Jackman engaged in farming (nominally only) as he was a ship carpenter, miller and millwright by trade. He devoted his time principally to mechanical pursuits, while the care of the farm devolved on his sons. There were eleven children in the family, nine sons and two daughters, all of whom are now living except two, all remarkably rugged and healthy, as befitted emigrants to a new country: Benson H. wedded Mary Lynch, and resides in Lee County, on the old homestead; Clarkson, whose home is in Baltimore Township, was twice married, his first wife being Martha Smith, and his second Addie Wheatley; Addison H. married Rebecca Abraham, and lives in Southwestern Nebraska, at Ft. Robinson; Henrietta, deceased, was the wife of Silas P. Blair, of Grant County, Wis.; Melissa is the wife of Robert P. Jackman, of Pilot Grove, Lee Co., Iowa; William H. married Eliza M. Stephenson, and resides in New London, Iowa; Nathan married Lucy Logan for his first wife, and Lutitia Stockdale for his second, and lives near Moundville, Mo.; John Q. married Elizabeth Brown, and is a farmer of Baltimore Township; Van Buren married Martha Hannah, and resides in Crawford, Neb.; Joseph H. has been twice married, his first wife being Lydia J. Dc Witt; Robert A. died at the age of nineteen, while in service during the late war.
Mr. Jackman, Sr., was an earnest Democrat in his political sentiment, and his sons have all followed his example. His death occurred in Lee County, in February, 1874, his wife surviving him, and dying Oct. 6, 1885.
William H. Jackman was married, Nov. 25, 1858, in Lowell, Iowa, to Miss Eliza M. Stephenson, daughter of John and Elizabeth Stephenson, whose history appears on another page. Mrs. Jackman was born at Hardscrabble farm, Jackson Township, Henry Co., Iowa, Oct. 2, 1841. Three children were born of their union, two sons and a daughter: Willie S. was born March 30, 1860, and died at the age of one year; Clarence H. was born Nov. 12, 1861, and died when two and a half years of age; Lucy E., born Nov. 6, 1864, is now the wife of Homer E. Lyman, of New London. Mr. Jackman settled in Lowell at the time of his marriage, and resided there till March, 1886, when he moved to New London, and engaged in his present business. While a resident of Lowell he was engaged in farming and teaming. In politics, Mr. Jackman and his entire family are most uncompromising Democrats. He is a man of modest pretensions, but of sound judgment and unquestioned integrity. The City Hotel, under the able management of "mine host" Jackman and his amiable and kind-hearted wife, is one of the most home-like hotels in the County.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p 316) (JC)
ELIJAH JAMES, Esq., a farmer residing on section 32, Wayne Township, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Roundhead Township, Hardin Co., Ohio, Nov. 13, 1834, and is the son of Josiah and Drusilla (Richardson) James. She was a native of Eastern Maine, and a daughter of Elijah Richardson, who removed near Portsmouth, Ohio, and engaged in farming during his life. But little history can be given of either of these families. The paternal grandmother reached the ripe age of ninety-three. The mother of our subject was married in Ohio, and there her seven children were born, only three of whom are living: Elijah; Margaret E., who wedded Edmund C. Upton, of Trenton Township; and Josiah, of Brighton, Washington County, a wagon and carriage maker, and the husband of Martha J. Nason. After the death of Josiah James, in 1839, his widow wedded William W. Rodgers, a mechanic of Roundhead Township. Two children were born there prior to coming to Iowa in 1846, Thomas W. and Sarah M., both now deceased. Thomas was a soldier of the 4th Iowa Cavalry, and died at Memphis, Tenn., from disease. Josiah James was also in the service, enlisting in Company E, 1st Iowa Cavalry, from which he was discharged at the close of the war, having served in all the battles and engagements participated in my his regiment. He never received a wound, was not in the hospital and was never off duty except on furlough, from the day of his enlistment. Mr. Rodgers and his family located in Trenton Township in 1846, and resided there until his death. His wife survived until April 24, 1882, reaching her seventy-fifth year, and was a lady well known and largely missed by a great circle of acquaintances. She became the mother of two children in this county: Rebecca A., deceased, wedded to John Beery, and Mary M., the wife of Jacob Beaver, of Trenton Township.
Our subject was a lad of age when he became a resident of the county, and, with the exception of one year, has since never known any other home. Here he grew to manhood, and was married in 1854 to Miss Emily N. Nason, and the young couple began domestic life in Trenton Township on a farm. The parents of Mrs. James, John W. and Rebecca (Pepple) Nason, were married in Virginia, and former was a native of Maine, the latter born in Wheeling, W. Va. They became residents of this county in 1844, locating in Trenton Township, and were among the first settlers of this part of the county. Their five eldest children were born in Ohio, the sixth in Trenton Township, this county. Sarah died unmarried; Mary A. wedded William Murphy; Emily M., wife of our subject; Rebecca A., wife of Henry Schuster; Martha J., who wedded Josiah James, a brother of our subject; John W., the only son and the youngest child born in Ohio, died in that State before the removal. Martha J. was born in Trenton Township and the others in Ohio.
Mr. James has been for many years a farmer. His first purchase of land was made before the war, consisting of forty acres on section 16, Trenton Township. On this he built a hewed-log house and fenced the land. From that he purchased in October, 1870, his present farm, and here in ease and comfort the parents reside, ripe in yeas, and enjoying the respect of all. Since their married life began six children have blessed their home: John W., now the husband of Lucy Mullen, is a graduate of Howe's Academy, and for years has been a teacher in this county, and is also a graduate of the law department of the Iowa State University; Josiah J. resides at home; Charles H. wedded Mary E. McKee, and resides in Thomas County, Kan.; Henry E. wedded Emma A., daughter of Samuel Cantwell, whose family are fully mentioned elsewhere; Henry and his young wife are the parents of twin boys, Othel E. and Orville H., born Nov. 22, 1886. Oscar E. is the youngest son living, and Ora D. died in infancy. Elijah James was elected Justice of the Peace of Wayne Township in 1885, to fill a vacancy, and in October, 1886, was elected his own successor. He has served as a member of the School Board for years, and in numerous other official positions. The father of Mrs. James died in the service of his country. He was a member of famous Greybeard Regiment, and his death occurred at Rock Island in the autumn of 1864. The subject of this sketch bears an honorable record as a self-made man and good citizen. He never received a dollar from his parents' estate, and beginning poor he has accumulated a fine property, and won for himself a place among the best citizens of Henry County.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 523-24.)
|Robert L. Jay
ROBERT L. JAY, M. D. The ranks of the medical profession in this county contain many noted both as skillful physicians, and men of culture. Among them may be mentioned the subject of this sketch, who was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1849, the son of Rev. John and Mary (Alexander) Jay, who rank among the first families of Southeastern Iowa. Rev. Jay was one of the first Methodist Episcopal ministers who preached the glad tidings in this part of the State, and when the Indians were more plentiful than white men, he rode a circuit and preached at the homes of the early settlers, whose rude log cabins were cheerfully offered for the services, which were well attended by those within reasonable distance. The Alexander family located near Talleyrand in Keokuk County, and the mother of Mary Alexander died while crossing the ocean en route from Ireland to America. The Rev. and Mrs. Jay were parents of seven children, as follows: Elizabeth became the wife of David Bales, of Sterling, Neb.; Marietta wedded John Robinson, a farm of Blue Springs, Neb.; William married Georgia Griffey, and resides in South Sioux City, and is the editor of the Sioux City Sun; John, the youngest, died unmarried; Marcellus and Melvin were twins, and both are practicing attorneys at Dakota City, Neb., and were students of law with Judge Griffey, of that State; Marcellus is married, and Melvin became the husband of Laura Tracy. Partners in business and residents of the same city, both are deservedly popular and prosperous. These, with the subject of this sketch, complete the family.
When the latter was fifteen years of age, he volunteered and became a drummer boy of Company D, 15th Iowa Infantry. He saw active service and was present at the siege and capture of Atlanta, Ga., was at the front in Sherman's great march to the sea, the campaign through the Carolinas, and participated in the grand review held in Washington City, the greatest military pageant ever witnessed on the American continent. After his return form the army, Robert L. began studying medicine with Dr. Payne, of Richland, and later took a medical course at Keokuk. In 1869 Miss Sibbie Davis became his wife, and in 1871 the Doctor began to practice in Baden, Iowa. Miss Davis is a daughter of John and Sarah (Free) Davis, of Richland, a family widely known in Southeastern Iowa, her father being a merchant of Richland, and one of the earliest settlers in that part of the country. Eight children were in the Davis household: Zerelda, wife of Sherd Tracy, proprietor of the Swazy House, of Richland; James, who married Sarah Stockman, resides in Pawnee County, Kan.; Henderson, the husband of Lou Cox; Mary, wife of Bert Funk, a manufacturer of Sigourney, Iowa; Sibbie, wife of Dr. Jay; Lydia, wife of Hayes White, of Fairfield; Harry, a partner with his father in the mercantile trade, wedded to Cora Campbell; and Lena, wife of Ralph Smith, of Sigourney, Iowa.
Dr. Jay located in Wayland in 1884, and has the leading practice in that neighborhood. His skill has made him deservedly popular, and his reputation as a physician and a gentleman is high. Four children grace the union of Dr. and Mrs. Jay - Lenora, John, Alma and Mollie, the latter born in Wayland. We are pleased to publish in this volume this sketch of the soldier, the citizen, and the accomplished physician and his family.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 563.)
|Isaac J. Jennings
ISAAC J. JENNINGS, farmer, residing on section 23, Canaan Township, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1830, and is a son of Isaac and Mary (Reese) Jennings, both natives of Ohio. Isaac Jennings, Sr., was a pioneer of Brown County. All the children were born in Ohio: Elizabeth wedded Israel Ross, a well-known resident of Scott Township; Israel, husband of Delilah Ross, a resident of Brown County, Ohio, died from a wound received in the army; Charity, widow of David Ross, resides in Iowa; Abel married Sarah Bowyer, and lives in Virginia, a decrepit and aged soldier, who was wounded while in line of duty, now an inmate of the Soldier's Home; DeWitt died in childhood; Isaac J., our subject; William died in infancy; Strange also died in childhood; Mary married William Fithen, a resident of Scott Township, and Daniel married Elizabeth Wills. The parents came to the county about 1870, and both died at an advanced age.
Our subject was married to Miss Addie Wood, Aug. 16, 1855, in Adams County, Ohio. They came to Henry County in 1868, locating soon after upon their present farm. No improvements had been made and the raw land was cultivated to a high degree by Mr. Jennings. His original dwelling was consumed by fire July 21, 1887, but from its ashes has risen a handsome frame structure, now complete in its appointments, adding largely to the appearance of the farm.
Three children were born in Ohio, two living: Elmer, husband of Clara Baldwin, residing in Canaan Township, and Eva, who is yet with her parents, the life and joy of the household. One grandchild, Lola, has graced the home of his son.
The original quarter section purchased is still Mr. Jennings' residence, and as he looks over the fine farm a feeling of satisfaction comes over him. We are glad to speak of his enterprise. The loss of a valuable farmhouse means a great sacrifice of comfort and a corresponding loss of money. Without one dollar of insurance, the fire destroyed everything of value. A fine library, which had taken years to secure, furniture, carpets and even clothing of inmates was swept away, they barely escaped unharmed. Valuable papers were also burned, and that memorable night in July will be long thought of by the Jennings family. The enterprise of our subject is again shown in the erection of a handsome residence, and his riper years can be passed in a home pleasantly picturesque, and with one of the most social and genial wives that ever graced the hearthstone of a good man, Mr. Jennings' cup of happiness may be considered complete. Together they have toiled and shared both the hard and the pleasant lot, and their married life of thirty-three years has brought with it a fitting reward. With their children within call, and yet scarcely past the meridian of life, every prospect for many happy years yet remains to this worthy couple.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 472.)
|William A. Jessup
WILLIAM A. JESSUP is a farmer residing on section 12, Jefferson Township, Henry Co., Iowa. One of the oldest families in this part of the county is the Jessup family, who came in the spring of 1850. William A., the subject of this sketch, was born in Guilford County, N. C., Jan. 26, 1821, and is a son of Levi and Jemima (Unthank) Jessup. Both were natives of North Carolina, of English parentage, and the ceremony which united them for life was performed according to the customs of the Friends, of which denomination they were members. In that State their two eldest children were born - Emily and William. Emily is now the widow of George Snoddy; she was first married to Dr. David Wade, by whom she had three children: William, a physician in Los Angeles, Cal.; Robert D., also in Los Angeles, and Anna, deceased. In 1821 the family removed to Indiana, and located on Government land, which Levi purchased at the first land sale. The Jessup family were residents of Indiana before Hendricks County was organized, and Levi Jessup was the first County Clerk elected of that county, the term lasting seven years. He became a very popular man in this county, and in 1831 was elected a member of the State Senate, which office he acceptably filled. During their residence in Indiana, Levi cleared up a farm in Hendricks County, and also engaged in the mercantile business for a number of years at Stilesville, from which village they removed to Henry County, Iowa, in 1850. Six children were born to them in Indiana: Calvin, who died in Henry County, unmarried; Ruth A., wife of Dr. William Mathews, deceased, of Putnam County, Ind.; Jonathan, who married Elizabeth Walker, of Jefferson Township, Henry Co., Iowa; S. M. Jessup, who married Minerva Dann, of Albany, Gentry Co., Mo.; he was a member of the 33d Missouri Infantry, and was wounded at Tupelo, Miss., and died soon after from the effects of the wounds; Oliver, a resident of Jefferson Township, is the husband of Kate Adams, and Solon, a practicing physician of Salem, Ore.; he married his wife in that State.
William, our subject, accompanied by his brother Jonathan, located first in Jefferson Township in the fall of 1849, and was followed by the remainder of the family in the spring of 1850. Levi Jessup purchased eighty acres, now the home farm of his son Oliver, while our subject, purchased the eighty acres on which he now resides, to which he later added other purchases. Upon this he built a log house immediately north of his present residence, but in the same yard. The old cabin still stands and is used as an out-building. Levi Jessup became as popular in Henry County as in his own county (Hendricks) in Indiana, and in 1852 was nominated by the Whig party of Henry County and elected a member of the General Assembly. He became a member of the Christian Church, being by reason of his official positions disenfranchised as a member of the Society of Friends. To the Christian Church both himself and wife belonged from that date until the time of their death. During the process of the war two of the sons, Jonathan and Merrill, enlisted. Jonathan was first a member of the 4th Iowa Cavalry, but was transferred to the 68th Colored Troops, being commissioned Second Lieutenant, serving in that capacity until his discharge from the service.
The aged father was as full of patriotism as were his sons, and upon the organization of the celebrated "Graybeard" regiment of Iowa, he enlisted and served for several months, being discharged later on account of ill-health. His death occurred in 1866. He lived to see the principles long advocated by him become a permanency. The death of the tender wife and loving mother occurred in 1861 at the age of sixty-six years, while her husband, Hon. Levi Jessup, reach the mature age of seventy-four years. Only four the Jessup family are now living: Oliver and William, in Jefferson Township; Dr. Solon, in Oregon, and Jonathan in Washington, D. C.
William A., our subject, was married, Oct. 13, 1851, to Miss Julia A. Roads, a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Boyd) Roads, who were also a prominent family in Henry County, one of the sons, Addison Roads, being County Treasurer for two terms. Both her parents died in Jefferson Township. They reared four children: Mary, the wife of Arthur McClure, Esq.; Addison wedded Nancy McClure; Julia, the wife of our subject, and Lindley M., who became the husband of Martha Payne, a sister of the Hon. C. W. Payne. Two daughters have come to the home of William A. Jessup and his wife: Ada, wife of J. S. Mathews, and Viola, still at home with her parents. There are no sons to bear the name of their ancestors. The Jessups can trace their ancestry back to Old England, but the early history of the family cannot be given.
William A. Jessup has served his township in about all the positions the people can give. He was elected Township Clerk in 1851, the next year Township Trustee, followed by the office of Justice of the Peace, later serving four years as County Supervisor, and upon his election later, as Justice, he refused to serve and failed to qualify, preferring to give his attention to his own business. His home is presided over by a hospitable wife, and we are pleased to give this sketch a deserved place in this volume.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 517-18.)
ADDISON JOHNSON, a farmer residing on section 13, Jefferson Township, Henry Co., Iowa, is a Trustee of that township. He was born in Hendricks County, Ind., Jan. 1, 1837, and is a son of Jonathan and Ann (Curtis) Johnson. Both were natives of Randolph County, N. C., the parents of both emigrating to Indiana at an early day in the history of that State. The grandparents on both sides lived and died in Hendricks County, but little history can be given of the family. Both reared large families and some of the children of both families came to Iowa. Mention will first be made of the Johnson family: Elihu married Ruth Hadley, and came to Keokuk County, Iowa, and settled in Richland, where he was for twenty years a miller; Charity wedded Aaron McPherson, who also became a resident of Richland; Jonathan, the father of our subject, settled in Jefferson Township, Henry County, in 1857, on section 14. His death occurred one month after his coming to this county. He was the father of Caroline, widow of James Wright; Emily, wife of William Harlan; then our subject, followed by Alfred, who died during the war; he was a member of Company B, 25th Regiment Iowa Volunteers. Amanda wedded John Klyon; Mary E., wife of B. F. Nichell, and Tillman H., who married Eva Perkins, completed the family except some children who died in infancy. After the death of Mr. Johnson, his widow became the wife of John Harlan. She died at the age of sixty-four and was buried at Finley Chapel Cemetery. She was a member of that church for many years and part of her children were also members. Her second husband, John Harlan, is also deceased.
Addison Johnson, our subject, was married in 1857 to Miss Veturia Harlan, a daughter of John and Rebecca Harlan. The relationship becomes now somewhat complicated, as John Harland afterward became the step-father of his son-in-law. The married life of our subject and his young wife was begun in Jefferson Township upon a farm, and to this date they have ever been numbered among her best citizens. In 1863 Mr. Johnson purchased his present farm, and almost all the improvements upon it have been made since he purchased it. They moved into an old log cabin, which has since been replaced by a modern farmhouse, and the broad acres which have brought back large returns have been mostly broken since he became their owner. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are the parents of five children: Harvey, the husband of Emma Mathews, youngest daughter of Madison Mathews, who has a sketch elsewhere in this work; William E. married Lilian Roberts, a daughter of Robert Roberts, of this county; Jonathan, Johnson and Ada are yet unmarried.
Since 1875 Mr. Johnson has been a member of the School Board, and in October, 1884, was elected a Trustee of his township and his official acts have been highly appreciated by the public, and at the last election held in the township he was elected his own successor, to serve for a term of three years be a vote in excess of his party ticket. Mr. Johnson and his family hold a high social position in the community and are held in high regard by their friends and neighbors.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 513-14.)
Andrew Johnson, a contractor mason who is conducting a good business with offices and worked located near the railroad station in the Codner building in New London, is a native of Sweden, born on the 12th of January, 1850. His father was John Peterson, who in early manhood wedded Mary Swanson. The remained residents of Sweden and in that country Andrew Johnson of this review was reared and educated, attending the public schools. He came to America in 1870, when a young man of twenty years believing that he might enjoy better business opportunities in the new world. He landed on Burlington on the 12th of January, of that year, and having no capital, it was necessary that he immediately secure employment. He worked as a common laborer for a year or more, after which he learned the mason's trade, with the firm of Pestorius & Yager, of Burlington. He continued his residence in that city until 1878, when he removed to Pleasant Grove township, Des Moines County and brought forty acres of land from Jacob Anderson. He then put buildings upon this place and partially improved it, after which he sold the property to a Mr. Nelson, and in the fall of 1880 came to New London, where he began business on his own account as a mason Contractor. He as since followed the business and has secured a liberal patronage, many important contracts began awarding him for the erection of substantial structures in this city. In 1905 he also began contracting in cement work, doing block work, building sidewalks, in fact, executing all kinds of work in Cement. He had laid the foundations for most of the best buildings of New London and is a thorough and competent mechanic in his line, having a knowledge of the actual work of his chosen vocation, and at the same time thoroughly understanding scientific principles which under lie the builders art. In the fall of 1870 Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Johanna Anderson and they became the parents of five children. Hulda, the eldest married Magnus Wigert, and after his death became the wife of Ed Schafer, her home being now in Burlington, Charles is living in New London and works with his father. Frank is employed as a cook on a train and lives in Chicago. Gilbert makes his home in New London. John is residing in Chicago. ON the 25th of December, 1885, Mr. Johnson was again married, is second time being with Carolina Carlson, a daughter of Carl and Anna (Peterson) Carlson. There were four children of this marriage, Walter, Albert, Mabel and Clifford, all at home. In 1903 Mr. Johnson purchase his present property of Mrs. Setter, after selling his former residence across the road to D. W. Hodson. He had purchased this in 1900 from Isaac Featerman. In his religious faith Mr. Johnson is connected with the Swedish Lutheran church while politically he is independent. Fraternally he is associated with New London lodge of Mason, and with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at New London, having passed all of the chairs in lodge No. 56. He has lead an active life in which untiring labor has been crowned with success. He has worked energetically and persistently year after year, and though he stared out in life empty handed, he is now numbered among the substantial citizens of New London, having ever displayed the sterling characteristics of the Swedish race - unfaltering industry, adaptability and unswerving integrity.
(Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa. .Chicago: Hobart Publishing Company, 1906. pp. 334-335) (Craig Albrechtson, descendant)
|Isaac R. Johnson
ISAAC R. JOHNSON was born, reared and still resides in Henry County, Iowa. He resides on section 32, Scott Township, and is the son of Lewis and Mary Ann (Patterson) Johnson, both natives of Greene County, Pa., and whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. They emigrated to this county in the spring of 1853, and Isaac was born the following fall, October 21. They settled in Marion Township, and there our subject was reared upon the farm. His education was received in the district schools of the county, supplemented by a course at Howe's Academy, at Mt. Pleasant.
On the 29th of December, 1880, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Donna Montgomery, one of Henry County's fair daughters. A sketch of her parents, Amos B. and Rachel Montgomery, may be found elsewhere in this work. One child, a little daughter, May, born Oct. 29, 1887, graces this union.
Mr. Johnson owns one of the finest farms in Scott Township, 220 acres in extent, with magnificent improvements, the house and bar being erected at a cost of $4,000. Everything about the farm denotes the thrift and industry of the owner. Mr. Johnson is also a horseman of note, as attested by many drivers who have pitted their skill against his on the course and in the prize ring.
The Johnson mansion has been the scene of much festivity among the young people of their neighborhood, and truly their union is most opportune, they not only uniting two of the oldest families in the county, the marriage united two the most social young persons of Scott Township.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 433.)
LEWIS JOHNSON, a retired farmer, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, has been a resident of Henry County since 1853. He was born in Greene County, Pa., Aug. 2, 1827, and is the son of Isaac R. and Mary (Barclay) Johnson. His father was a native of Chester County, Pa. His family had been residents of Pennsylvania for many years, first in the eastern and afterward in the western part of the State. His mother was born in Bucks County, Pa. Her family also dated their settlement in that county from pioneer times.
Lewis was reared on his father's farm, and when not quite twenty-two years of age, April 5, 1849, he was married to Miss Mary A. Patterson, daughter of Thomas Patterson. Mrs. Johnson was born in Washington County, Pa. Two children were born to them, a daughter and a son. The daughter, Ella, was born in Greene County, Pa., and is now the wife of S. D. Wright, residing at Beatrice, Neb. The son, Isaac R., was born in Henry County, Iowa. He married Miss Donna Montgomery, and resides on the old homestead near Winfield, Iowa. Mr. Johnson moved to Henry County in 1853, and settled in Center Township, where he farmed one year. He then removed to Marion Township of the same county, and six years thereafter to Scott Township, where he purchased a farm of 240 acres. He still owns eighty acres of the old homestead, having sold the balance of it to his son. Mr. Johnson continued to reside in Scott Township, engaged in farming and stock-growing till April, 1887, when he came to Mt. Pleasant to live. He has voted with the Republican party since its organization, and has held several minor offices in the several townships where he has resided. He is held in high esteem as a neighbor and citizen.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 471-72.)
|David F. Jones
DAVID F. JONES, editor and proprietor of the Salem News, an independent weekly journal, was born in Upper Middletown, Fayette Co., Pa., Dec. 23, 1839, and is the son of Edward and Hannah (Woodward) Jones. He was educated at George's Creek Academy, Smithfield, Pa., and served an apprenticeship to the printer's trade in the office of the Genius of Liberty of Uniontown, Pa. He was subsequently employed at various times on the different journals published in Pittsburgh, Pa. In the spring of 1882 he emigrated to Illinois and spent several months at Nakomis, whence on Jan. 1, 1883, he came to Salem, in this county, and purchased the paper he now owns, which is a seven-column folio, established in September, 1880, by H. Armstrong, who subsequently sold it to W. S. Withrow, from whom it was purchased by Mr. Jones. The paper is independent in politics, newsy and well printed, and has a circulation of over 800 copies weekly. The office is well equipped for job work and is doing a good business.
Mr. Jones was married at Uniontown, Pa., May 10, 1866, to Sarah C., daughter of Mr. B. Collier. She was born in Johnstown, Pa. Ten children were of their union, of whom five died in childhood. The five living are - Albert C., William F., Robert F., George Rex and Walter R. Those who died were named Mary B., Allen, Charles, John P. and Laura B.
Mr. Jones is an energetic, practical printer and is building up a fine business. The Salem News is one of the most popular local papers of Henry County.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 512-13.)
THOMAS JONES, a retired railroad man, and a resident of Mt. Pleasant since 1862, was born in County Wicklow, near Dublin, Ireland, Feb. 15, 1833, and is the son of James and Mary (Keough) Jones. He emigrated from Ireland to America in 1851, and located in New Jersey, where he served his time at the millwright trade. In 1856 he came to Iowa, and engaged in railroad work with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company. He was employed in bridge-building from Burlington to what is now known as Gladstone, Ill. He worked at first as an employe, but soon began taking contracts and continued in that way, sometimes working for wages, and sometimes on contract, till 1886, when he retired from active duty. His connection with the company continued without interruption for a period of thirty-one years. During all these years he never had an accident resulting from his work, and proved himself a capable and faithful man in whatever duty he undertook. He has probably built more bridges than any other man in the company's employ, and it is only fair to Mr. Jones to say that this assertion is not based on any information given by him.
Mr. Jones was married, in the autumn of 1862, to Miss Kate Mackinson, daughter of John and Mary Mackinson. Mrs. Jones was born in County Cavan, Ireland, and emigrated to America in 1852. They have five children, one son and four daughters - Mary A., Theressa V, Ettie E., James C. and Kate L. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Jones is a Democrat in politics. He came to this country in very limited circumstances, and unaided and without influence, beyond that of intelligence, persevering industry, and a thorough knowledge of his business, he has acquired a fine property, consisting of three city lots and a fine residence, situated on one of the finest streets in the city, and twelve lots situated in the northwestern part of the city.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 524)(CL)
|William F. Jones
WILLIAM F. JONES, Postmaster and farmer. Perhaps in the boundaries of Jackson Township there resides no man of a wider acquaintance in Henry County, either in a business or social sense, than the subject of this sketch. Everyone, from the youngest to the oldest settler, knows him, and a more genial couple than Mr. Jones and wife would be hard to find. He is a son of George and Lydia (McMurtry) Jones, and was born in Morgan County, Ill., June 17, 1832. His parents soon after his birth moved to Knox County, Ill., remaining until April 1, 1838, when they emigrated westward and found a location in this county. Mr. Jones entered 249½ acres of land on sections 25 and 26, in Jackson Township. On part of this tract stood a cabin built by Elijah Bunting, his claim being purchased by Mr. Jones. George Jones originally came from Virginia, and was born March 24, 1785, in Roanoke County, and was son of James and Catherine (Howe) Jones. He was a soldier under Gen. Harrison during the Indian War, and from him his son inherited his loyal sentiments as well as his patriotism, for later events prove him to have been a brave soldier. George Jones was married in Harrison County, Ind., to Lydia McMurtry, Feb. 17, 1817. She was born in Mercer County, Ky., Dec. 7, 1795, her parents being James and Elizabeth (Rose) McMurtry, of Irish ancestry. Her grandfather lived in Kentucky, and was engaged in the Indian wars in that State, and was killed by the Indians. Her father was also a soldier, and from his boyhood was an Indian fighter. There were eight children in the Jones family, two of whom, Nancy and Sarah, died in Indiana. The others are: Elizabeth, who was wedded to Walter King, and died in Chehalis County, Wash. Ter.; Isaac H., who married Mary A. Garrison, died in Boone County, Iowa; Silas M. is the husband of Hester J. Garrison; James M., who remained a bachelor until last February, when he was wedded in Washington Territory; Catherine, the youngest member of the family, is wife of William L. Davolt, and William F., our subject, completes the list. The father died in 1850, and his wife survived him thirty-two years, being in her eighty-seventh year when her death occurred.
Our subject was a lad of six years of age when his parents became residents of this county, and from his boyhood William F. Jones has been identified with everything that was of interest to his county or her people. He was educated in the public schools of that early day, and later taught school in what is now known as Bethany District, in Baltimore Township. He learned farm work in detail, and before old enough to hold the plow drove the oxen while one with more muscle held the handles. He jokingly remarks that he lived with his mother until he was married, when she lived the remainder of her days with him. He was three years a soldier in the Union army, a member of Company B, 3d Iowa Cavalry, and was in every engagement participated in by the right wing of his regiment to which he was attached, except one, during his entire term of service. He draws a pension for disability incurred in the service.
Mr. Jones takes great pride, and justly so, in the patriotism of his mother as manifested during this dark period. When the war broke out he and she lived alone, no other son being west of the Rocky Mountains. He expressed himself to her that he did not wish to outlive his country, and that he felt that he must enlist in the army. She unhesitatingly said "go," for she could take care of herself. He did go, and served faithfully, and lived to return to the mother who was so willing to give him as a sacrifice for the country she so loved.
At the expiration of his term of enlistment, Mr. Jones returned to Henry County, and Nov. 4, 1864, was elected County Supervisor. He was subsequently elected Justice and served eleven years. He has also served as Township Clerk, Township Trustee for several terms, and in fact, it might be truthfully said that if William F. Jones would make any effort to secure it, the best office within the gift of the people in this county awaits him. As a writer and speaker Mr. Jones has no superior among the people, professional or scientific, in this county, and his letters to the press upon the beneficial results of a protective tariff have been pronounced masterly by the best reasoners and thinkers of the county. Brilliant in intellect, with a depth of thought enhanced by constant study, Mr. Jones has made himself felt in social and political circles for years, and the future promises much for him. His marriage to Miss Dortha Dowell was celebrated Nov. 17, 1864. She is a native of Miami County, Ohio, born Jan. 1, 1834, a daughter of Martin and Mary (Hall) Dowell. Martin Dowell was born in North Carolina, his wife in Charleston, S. C., and they were married in Dayton, Ohio. They were the parents of ten children, of whom eight came to Iowa: John, the second son, died at Allatoona, Ga., during the war. The Dowell family came to this county in 1857, and the parents of Mrs. Jones are buried in the Pilot Grove Cemetery. Mrs. Jones is the only one of the children now a resident of this county, but the names and respective locations of the others are as follows: Ellison married Mary Richardson, and resides in Butler County, Neb.; Sarah J. wedded J. H. Cowgill, of Henry County, and is now a resident of Saline County, Neb.; John died unmarried; Dortha is the wife of our subject; William wedded Mattie Grant, and resides in Brainard, Neb.; Nancy, unmarried, is a resident of Valparaiso, Neb., and Joanna is the wife of Marquis Grant, a resident of Saunders County, Neb. Mr. Jones and his wife are the parents of six children: Mary A, wife of George Wanswer, of Brainard, Neb., was educated at Howe's Academy, and was a teacher in this county prior to her marriage; Dovie was educated at the same academy, and is now a teacher in this county; Nora is also a graduate of the same school and is a resident teacher of Tobias, Saline Co., Neb.; Mattie C. will also complete her education at Howe's Academy, and intends teaching. John D. and Sarah J., the younger members of the family, possess the same brightness of intellect and are intended by their parents to have a complete education.
In 1871 Mr. Jones was appointed Postmaster of Boylston, his commission bearing the signature of Postmaster-General Cresswell. He has been continued in this office to date, and is now in his seventeenth official year. In all the relations of life, as a brave soldier, a capable official and an estimable citizen, he has ever held the respect of his fellowmen.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 622-23.)
Biographies Index ** Henry County Home
Copyright IAGenWeb, the submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimers
~all of which applies to the Henry county website.~