Laird - Lyons
George W. Laird
GEORGE W. LAIRD, one of the prominent and influential citizens of Henry County, Iowa, is a native of Ohio, born in Guernsey County, Aug. 26, 1842. He resides on section 22, of Tippecanoe Township, where he has one of the finest cultivated farms in the county, 310 acres in extent, and the improvements alone which he has put on it have cost over $3,000. His parents were John and Susan (Hooks) Laird, the former a native of Washington County, Pa., of Scotch and Irish ancestry, and the latter a native of Guernsey County, Ohio, of German and Welsh parentage. John Laird was born in 1813, and died Jan. 28, 1875. His whole life was spent upon a farm, and at the time of his death he owned a handsome place of 160 acres in Athens County, Ohio, where he died. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his life was in accordance with the religion he espoused and consistent with the rules of the church with which he was connected. Politically he was a Republican, and took great interest in all that pertained to his party. Since the death of her husband, Susan Laird has made her home a great part of the time with our subject. She was born Feb. 13, 1816, and for her age is a wonderfully preserved lady, and she likewise is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The boyhood days of George W. Laird were spent upon a farm in Ohio, and in attending the district schools of his native State. At the age of twenty, on the 12th of September, 1862, he bade his friends good-bye, not knowing, when, if ever, they should meet again, and responded to his country's call for troops. With the many brave boys in blue, he enlisted in Company I, 7th Iowa Cavalry, serving till July 4, 1865. He participated in the following battles: Dutton Hill, Ky.; Mt. Sterling, Ky.; Jonesboro, Tenn.; Bristol, W. Va.; New Market, Bull's Gap, Knoxville, Bean Station, Marysville, Morristown, Rogersville, all in Tennessee; Cynthiana, Ky., where they fought against Morgan; the siege of Atlanta, Duck River, Franklin and Nashville, all in Tennessee; Mill's Bend, and in a battle with the rebel General, Forest. The regiment then went on the Wilson raid, and were under fire at Valley Forge, Plantersville, Selma, Ala., Columbus, Ga., and in many other skirmishes. He served as orderly for Gen. Beard for two weeks at Danville, Ky. After his discharge he returned to his home at Athens, Ohio, where his parents had moved when he was but five years old, and commenced working on the farm of his father, continuing there for four years. His first purchase of land, in 1868, was a farm of twenty acres in Hocking Valley, Athens Co., Ohio. His marriage with Lydia Bowers was celebrated in Ohio, Nov. 27, 1869. She was the daughter of Abram and Fannie (Hamilton) Bowers, who were natives of Virginia, but she was born in the Buckeye State. Mr. Laird and his young bride commenced their domestic life on the farm which he had purchased, residing there until the fall of 1874. They emigrated to Henry County at that time, where Mr. Laird purchased the place where he now lives, which then consisted of 120 acres, to which he has since added, making his present farm of 310 acres. In connection with general farming and stock-raising, he ships hogs and cattle to Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Laird reared a family of four children - Flora Alpha, John, Alice, and Louida, deceased. The mother was called to her final home in 1878, and Mr. Laird was again married, his second wife being Margaret E. Underhill, widow of Elisha Underhill. Her parents were John and Sanira (Clark) Johnson, the former a native of Ohio, and the latter of Tennessee. Mrs. Lair was born in Lee County, Iowa. Two children have graced this second union - George Howel and Sherman Howard. Mr. Laird has been honored with the office of Justice of the Peace. For two years he was Township Clerk and is now Assessor, having held that office for four years. Reared in the political faith of the Republican party, he has never swerved from or lost sight of the fundamental principles of government as taught by it, and does not think that the "grand old party" has yet outlived its usefulness. Mr. Laird commenced life as a poor boy, but by hard labor, economy and honesty, has gained a competence, and among the people of Henry County none are more worthy of a place in this volume than George W. Laird and his family.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 546-47.)
ABNER LANE is a farmer, living on section 4, Trenton Township, Henry Co., Iowa, where he owns a fine farm of eighty acres, all improved. he was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, May 29, 1824. His parents Abraham and Elizabeth (Emler) Lane, were both natives of Pennsylvania, and came to this county in 1841, settling on section 10, Trenton Township, where the father bought 160 acres of land, upon which he resided until his death, which occurred in October, 1876, at the age of seventy-six years. His widow, still residing in Trenton Township, is eighty-five years of age. Politically Abraham Lane was a Democrat. He spent his whole life upon the farm, and was a kind, considerate man.
Our subject was reared upon a farm in Henry County, and in 1848 was united in marriage with Miss Barbara Waitman, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of J. L. Waitman. Mr. and Mrs. Lane have been the parents of nine children: Oscar, the eldest, died at the age of nineteen years; Franklin died in infancy; Cordelia, wife of W. L. Turner, resides in Madison County, Iowa; Ophelia, wife of William Maleroy, is a resident of Audubon County, Iowa; Lucy, wife of William Hollems, of Warren County, Iowa; Isidora, wife of William Maguire, of Jefferson County, Iowa; Asbury, Elma and Carrie still reside at home. Socially Mr. Lane is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is a P. G. He has held the offices of Trustee and Assessor of Trenton Township, and is held in high esteem by all who know him.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 543.)
Jacob M. Lane
JACOB M. LANE, residing on section 21, Trenton Township, Henry Co., Iowa, is one of the pioneers of this county since 1841. He has witnessed the many changes which have transformed the county from its state of natural wilderness to one of great cultivation. Jacob was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1822, and is a son of Richard and Amelia (Jackson) Lane. The father was of Irish descent, though born in Pennsylvania, and the mother of French origin, born in Virginia. They were early settlers of Muskingum County, Ohio, and in 1841 emigrated to Henry County, renting a farm on section 1, Trenton Township, where they lived many years. Mr. Lane then purchased eighty acres of school land on section 16, Trenton Township, which was in a wild state, and upon which he made many improvements. He built a dwelling, and resided upon this farm for ten years, and then removed to Trenton Village, where he lived a retired life. His death occurred in 1877, when seventy years of age. He was a Republican in politics, and was a conservative man. His widow still resides in Trenton Village. They reared a family of ten children, six of whom are now living: Jacob, our subject, is the eldest; George, a resident of Trenton; John Q., who was Colonel of the 97th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the late war, now resides in Philadelphia, Pa., where he is a practicing lawyer; Lucinda, wife of George Wilson, a resident of this county; Eliza Ann, residing with her mother; Richard was a soldier in the 25th Iowa Volunteers, served until the close of the war, but his place of residence is now unknown. Those deceased are Samuel, Charles, Elizabeth and Jane.
Our subject was reared on a farm in this county. He was married, in 1849, to Lydia Pratt, a native of New York, and a daughter of Louis and Ellen (Robins) Pratt, both of whom were natives of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Lane are the parents of seven children: Martha died at the age of fourteen years; George died in infancy; Orvil L. and Oliver, twins, the former living in Audubon County, Iowa, and the latter in Trenton Township; John Charles, Frank and Josephine are still inmates of the paternal home. Mr. lane has held all the offices of the township that its citizen can give, and is at present one of the Board of County Supervisors. He take great interest in all political affairs, and is a stalwart Republican, believing that the party has not yet finished its work. Mr. Lane has a good practical education, and is ever ready to aid the advancement of educational interests.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 544.)
John B. Lash
JOHN B. LASH, a retired merchant and pioneer of Mt. Pleasant, of 1837, was born in Frankford, Hampshire Co., Va., June 8, 1808. His parents, Thomas and Elizabeth (Barns) Lash, were also natives of the same State. The family had resided in Virginia since the Colonial days. His father was a saddler and harness-maker by trade. Our subject learned the trade with his father and worked at it until he reached manhood, when he engaged as a merchant's clerk, continuing in that capacity until 1836, when he went to Indiana, and the following year came to Mt. Pleasant. he was married in his native town to Mrs. Sarah Keller, a lady of brilliant accomplishments and great artistic talent. Her paintings, still in the possession of her family, are held by competent critics to be worthy of high praise. Mrs.. Lash had two children by her former marriage: Serena, wife of Mr. Mohler, of Pennsylvania, and Martha, who was the wife of John Robertson. Both are now deceased. One child, a daughter, was born of the second marriage and died in infancy. Mrs. Lash died June 20, 1878.
In 1836 Mr. Lash left his native State and spent a short time in Indiana, where he arranged to bring a stock of goods to Mt. Pleasant in April, 1837, and opened the second store in that place, then consisting of a collection of log shanties with stick and mud chimneys. Mr. Lash erected the first frame house upon the town site, put up the first brick chimney, imported the first brick, and built the first brick house in town. He continued to act as agent for Mr. Hughes for a few years, then bought the stock and began business for a short time alone, he, in 1849, formed a partnership with Samuel Smith and William Thompson, which relation continued until 1856; he was then out of business until 1860, when he took his brother Thomas as partner, which connection continued until 1873, when he sold out to his brother, and has since lived a retired life. Mr. Lash, next to Presley Saunders, is the oldest pioneer merchant in Mt. Pleasant. For a period of fifty years he has been a prominent character in this city, and few men are better known or more universally respected, he having always borne the character of an upright man and good citizen.
Mr. Lash was a prominent man in the affairs of Mt. Pleasant and in Henry County, and his influence was always given in favor of measures which were for the benefit of the county. In 1840 he was elected Representative in the Second Territorial Legislative Assembly, and re-elected in 1841. In the affairs of the town and city of Mt. Pleasant he took a leading part. In 1852 he was elected to the Council, re-elected in 1856, '57, '58 and '59, and again in '68, '69, '70 and '71 - the latter being his last public service. In politics he has always been a Democrat, and independent in forming his own opinions. An instance is given of this trait: When he reached his majority, it was naturally supposes he having said nothing to the contrary, that he would vote the Whig ticket, as did his father, who was a warm supporter of that party. He surprised his friends, however, by voting the Democratic ticket, believing, he said, that was the better party. Since that time his allegiance has never wavered.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 547-48.)
THOMAS LASH, a dealer in dry-goods, notions, ready-made clothing, boots and shoes, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, has been in business in that city since 1860. He was born in Frankford, Hampshire Co., Va., in what is now known as Mineral County, W. Va., March 15, 1829, and is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Barnes) Lash. In his youth he learned the saddlery and harness trade with his father, and at this trade he worked for some years. In the fall of 1847 he left his native State and came to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and here opened a harness-shop, which he operated for two years. Selling his stock he entered the employ of Lash, Smith & Co., as a clerk, continuing with them about seven years, the senior member of the firm being his brother, John B. Lash. In 1856 he became a partner in the business with his brother, which relation continued but one year. He then clerked for A. R. H. Allen till 1860, when he bought in with his brother, John B., and firm of Lash Brothers continued until 1873, when he purchased his brother's interest, and has since continued alone in business. In December, 1854, Mr. Lash was united in marriage with Miss Martha Ross, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1823, and daughter of Samuel Ross, a prominent farmer of Henry County, now in his eighty-ninth year. She came to Henry County in childhood with her parents. They have one child, a son, William T., born in 1860, and now engaged in business with his father. Mr. and Mrs. Lash are members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Mt. Pleasant, with which he has been connected since 1850. In politics he is a Democrat. A resident of of Henry County a period of forty years has made Mr. Lash well known to all its citizens. He is a man who enjoys the respect and confidence of the community in which he has so long resided and in which he has been a prominent factor. He has never held any public office, having several times refused to let his name be used, when pushed by his friends for official position.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 533-34.)
Alcetus D. Latta, who since 1865 has been a resident of Iowa and is now carrying on general farming and stock-raising in Scott township, was born in Ross county, Ohio, October 3, 1844. His father, Moses Latta, was likewise a native of that county and there married Miss Elizabeth Nichols, the latter a daughter of George and Ellen Nichols, who were natives of Ohio. In the paternal line, however, Mr. Latta comes of Irish lineage, his paternal grandfather, James Latta, having been born on the Emerald Isle.
Alcetus D. Latta was reared in Ohio and is indebted to the public school system of that state for the educational privileges he enjoyed. When he had attained his majority he sought a home in the west for he believed that he might have better business opportunities in a district where competition was not so great. Accordingly he made his way by steamer from his native state to St. Louis, Missouri, and thence by rail to Louisa county, Iowa, where he arrived in the fall of 1865. The following spring his parents also came and the father purchased a farm near Grand View in Louisa county and Mr. Latta of this sketch assisted in the development and improvement of that place up to the time of his marriage.
On the 27th of February, 1867, he was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Jane Thompson, who was born in Louisa county, Iowa, and is a daughter of William and Jane (Shellabarger) Thompson, the former a native of Ross county, Ohio, and the latter of Xenia, Greene county, Ohio.
Following his marriage Mr. Latta lived upon his father-in-law's farm near Grand View for twelve years and in 1880 he came to Scott township, Henry county, where he purchased sixty acres of land lying on sections 3 and 10. He has made all of the improvements on this place, including the erection of a building, sixteen by twenty-four feet, and a story and a half in height, to which he has since built an addition one story in height and fourteen by sixteen feet. He devotes his time and energies to the tilling of the soil and to stock-raising. He has resided continuously upon his present farm for a quarter of a century and its splendidly improved condition is the result of his care and labor.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Latta were born eight children: May, now the wife of Edward McMath, a farmer residing in Davis county, Iowa; Alpha, who died at the age of seven years; Edith, who died at the age of three years; Harlin, whose death occurred when two years old; William, who died when seventeen years of age; Scott, who is living at home; Jennie, who died, the wife of William Bozman, a farmer living in Wapello county, Iowa; and Addie, the wife of Ralph Patton. The wife and mother died of pneumonia February 18, 1886.
Mr. Latta votes with the Republican party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He has been elected supervisor a number of times. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and his life has been guided in harmony with its principles and teachings. As the years have gone by he has worked persistently and earnestly as a farmer to clear and improve the property which he now owns and he is today in possession of a good farm in Scott township.
(Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa. Chicago: Hobart Publishing Co.,1906, Page 238) (PE)
WILLIAM LAUDER is a prominent farmer residing on section 25, Scott Township, Henry Co., Iowa. From Scotland emenated the ancestry of our subject on both sides, but they have been citizens of the United States for more than three-quarters of a century, and three generations have been born under its flag. Alexander Adair was the maternal, and William Lauder the paternal grandfather of our subject, both families coming to this country about the same time, Mr. Lauder settling in Schenectady County, N. Y., and the Adairs in Montgomery County, in the same State. James Lauder, father of our subject, was the eldest born in that family, he being but an infant in arms when the voyage from Scotland to America was made.
Both the grandparents on the Adair side lived and died in Montgomery County. Their children were: Jane, the mother of our subject; Jeanette, John and Alex. The sons were both married, but died soon afterward, John leaving two daughters, consequently the Adair name from this branch of the family has ceased to exist. Jeannette became the wife of Robert Little, a resident farmer of Southeastern Michigan, near Ypsilanti; Jane became the wife of James Lauder, and from this date the history proper of the family can be reliably traced. William Lauder, the grandfather of our subject, was the father of five children - James, John, William, David and Mary. The parents both lived and died in Schenectady County, and their children all married and reared families, but none are now living with the exception of Mary, who wedded John Robinson, of Ohio. James Lauder became the husband of Jane Adair, and the farm he purchased was in Florida Township, Montgomery Co., N. Y., upon which they lived until his death, which occurred thirteen years after the birth of his son William. Three daughters and two sons graced their union, namely: Jane, now a resident of Amsterdam, N. Y., is the widow of James H. Merry; Ann became the wife of W. D. M. Condon, a well-known resident of Mt. Union, Henry County; Jeanette resides in Denver, Col.; John, wedded to Ann Bowman, became a resident farmer of Norton Mills, Ontario Co., N. Y., and at his death in 1885, left one heir, a son John, who is also married, and resides on the home farm; William was the youngest of the family. The mother of our subject made her home with her eldest daughter during her lifetime.
William Lauder, the subject of this sketch, was born in Montgomery County, N. Y., Nov. 13, 1833. Reared on a farm and educated in the district schools, he grew to manhood with a practical education, and a perfect physical organization, and thus the foundation was laid for a successful business life. His marriage to Miss Prudence Butler was celebrated Feb. 22, 1854. Prior to this he had purchased the homestead, but after their marriage the young couple removed to Michigan, and later to Knox County, Ill., near Galesburg, and in November, 1856, their removal was made to Henry County, Iowa. Mr. Lauder locating in Scott Township, on the east half of the southeast quarter of section 36. Upon this he erected a frame house, which still stands. The land was in a virgin condition, and before he left this farm it was all placed under cultivation. it is needless to enumerate the hardships and toil of the life of a pioneer farmer. Suffice it to say, that his energy, with the encouragement and aid of a true wife have brought him and his a fitting reward. Mr. Lauder purchased his present homestead May 1, 1865. The first eighty acres have grown into 375, a half section of which is comprised in his farm in Scott Township. Their roomy house was completed in 1879, and the large barn and out-buildings testify to the thrift of the owner.
Their home has been blessed by the birth of eight children, all living except the eldest daughter, Florence, who was born in Illinois. They are: Schuyler E.; William J., husband of Viola Lagel; they have one son, Walter. These two sons reside in Moscow County, Ore., and are owners of a sheep ranch. Nettie, wife of Frank Edgerton, a farmer of Riverton, Fremont Co., Iowa, has one son, Willie; May A., Charles E., Carrie and Genevieve complete the family, all of whom are at home. Charles E. is completing his education at the Iowa Wesleyan University, in Mt. Pleasant, with the expectation of graduating later in law. All the children have been carefully educated. The daughter, May, is an artist of note in the neighborhood, and her productions, both in oil and crayon, give ample proof of her talent. Both Mr. and Mrs. Lauder are members of the Winfield Presbyterian Church, of which their daughters are also members.
We now present a brief history of the ancestry of Mrs. Lauder. She was born in Montgomery County, N. Y., Dec. 18, 1835, and is a daughter of Jeremiah M. and Ruth (Gates) Butler. He was of Irish-American nationality, his wife of German origin, remotely connected with Gen. Gates of Revolutionary fame. Jeremiah Butler had one brother, James, who wedded Mary Bell, of Montgomery County, N. Y. They had several children, all dying young, except two, Daniel C. and John. Jeremiah and Ruth Butler were parents of five children: William H., husband of Mrs. Lizzie (Seaton) Reed, whose brothers were noted men, one being a General in the Canadian army; William H. resides in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, a very wealthy retired gentleman; Prudence is the wife of William Lauder; Polly wedded Wilson Duncan, of Scotch ancestry, a resident of Council Bluffs, and for many years a business man of that city; Hannah E., deceased, was the wife of William Peck, who died in the army, and afterward of Ezra Swickard, who still lives in Council Bluffs, and his youngest son, Charles Edward, is a member of William Lauder's family; Jeremiah M., the husband of Mary Wood, resides in Neola, Pottawattamie County, and was for many years a prominent Justice of the Peace, marrying many couples who were descendants of the original pioneers.
Mrs. Lauder is a lady of culture and taste, and their home is noted for its hospitality. She is a near relative of Attorney General Benjamin F. Butler, who served during the administration of President Van Buren, and is also distantly related to the celebrated Gen. Benjamin F. Butler. The mother of the husband of the eldest daughter, Jeanette, is a second cousin of Jeff Davis, President of the Confederacy. The courtesy of the old settler is yet a characteristic trait in William Lauder, and stranger or friend alike find a cordial welcome. In easy circumstances, with a pleasant home, children who do honor to the name and example of their parents, and with grandchildren prattling around their knees, this worthy couple are enviably situated.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 599, 600 & 603.)
BENJAMIN LAZENBY is a native of Virginia, born Feb. 13, 1810, and a son of Joshua and Ruth (Guthrie) Lazenby, who were also natives of Virginia, though of Welsh descent. When he was but a lad of six his parents emigrated to America, where he was reared on a farm near Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1838 Mr. Lazenby decided to go West, and being pleased with Henry County, he came here, locating on what is known as the Joseph Short Farm, which place he entered and there resided until 1844. At that time he bought a tract of land, 280 acres in extent, on section 26, Tippecanoe Township, living on this purchase until July 11, 1887, at that time removing to Los Angeles, Cal., where he still resides. Mr. Lazenby, in 1840, was united in marriage with Editha Sanderson, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of John and Isabel (Gilbert) Sanderson, the father of Irish descent. To this worthy couple were born six children, two of whom are now living: Melissa, who is living with her father, and Mary C., the honored wife of Courtland Milner. Mrs. Lazenby was called to her final home July 22, 1886, at the age of sixty-seven. Mr. Lazenby was among the pioneer settlers of Henry County. He held the office of Township Clerk for a number of years in Tippecanoe Township, and was universally respected. He still owns a fine farm of 101 acres in Tippecanoe Township, besides his place in California.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 524.)
Melville C. Leach
MELVILLE C. LEACH, who is Postmaster and agent of the American Express Company, New London, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Allen County, Ind., Oct. 19, 1858. He received a common-school education, and at the age of thirteen left school and was employed as a cash boy, and from there went to a wall-paper and paintstore, where he learned book-keeping. At the age of sixteen he started out to see the world, and "pulled up" at Cleveland, Ohio, where he was employed as a book-keeper in a wholesale paint and paper house. After a year of that service he returned to Ft. Wayne, Ind., with the hope of improving his health, which was delicate, and engaged in the butchering business, continuing that line two and a half years. Mr. Leach then went to St. Joseph, Mo., where he was employed as assistant foreman of a large packing establishment. In 1880 he left St. Joseph and came to New London, Iowa, where he has since resided. For several years he was employed as a salesman with James McClellan, merchant, and was appointed postmaster in December, 1885, entering upon the duties of the office Jan. 1, 1886.
Mr. Leach was married at New London, July 21, 1880, to Miss Emma McClellan, daughter of James McClellan, who was an early settler of Henry County, and whose history is given elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Leach is a native of New London, Iowa. Two children were born of their marriage, a daughter and a son: Mamie E., born May 6, 1882, and Grover, July 30, 1885, both born at New London. Mr. Leach is a Democrat, and took an active part in the last Presidential election in support of his party's national and Congressional candidates. He is a Master Mason, and a member of New London Lodge No. 28, A.F. & A.M. He was appointed agent of the American Express Company in 1882. In connection with the post-office and express office, Mr. Leach carries a stock of fruits, vegetables and confectionery, in which he has built up quite a fine trade, and he is regarded as one of the enterprising and rising men of the village.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 362)(PW)
JOHN LEE, deceased, a worthy pioneer of Henry County, Iowa, of 1836, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, Dec. 26, 1797, was a farmer by occupation, and removed to Bond County, Ill., in an early day, where he was united in marriage to Miss Charity Smith, daughter of Zedek Smith, Esq., who was born in Tennessee, in November, 1800. Mr. Lee emigrated with his family to Henry County, Iowa, in November, 1836, and located in what is now New London Township, on unsurveyed land. The exact date of his arrival at the site of his future home was Nov. 14, 1836. He made his claim on what is now section 11 of New London Township, where he made his home till late in life, when he removed to New London Village. His death occurred April 22, 1879, in his eighty-second year. His wife, an estimable Christian lady, who had reared a family of twelve children, four sons and eight daughters, died Oct. 11, 1865. The children all lived to be men and women, and are all living at this date (1887) except three, They were born in following order: Eliza, Jan. 21, 1821; Jane, Oct. 12, 1823; Sarah, Oct. 26, 1824; Almira, April 10, 1826; Samuel, Nov. 4, 1827; John, March 25, 1829; Julia Ann, Jan. 2, 1831; William, Dec. 23, 1832; Thomas B., June 29, 1835; Polly Ann, Oct. 7, 1837; Charity, July 26, 1839, and Louisa, Sept. 26, 1841. The nine elder children were born in Bond County, Ill., and the three younger in Henry County, Iowa.
In early life Mr. Lee was a Whig, and a Republican after the organization of that party. Both he and his wife were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church from early life. He was an upright, honorable, industrious citizen, and deserves creditable mention in the annals of the pioneer days of Henry County. That this sketch is not more complete is not the fault of the writer, but owing to the indifference of certain members of the family, who could, but would not, take the trouble to supply the necessary information.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 555-56.)
Thomas B. Lee
THOMAS B. LEE, farmer, residing at New London, Henry Co., Iowa, a pioneer of 1836, was born in Bond County, Ill., June 29, 1835. His parents were John and Charity (Smith) Lee, also pioneers of Henry County of 1836, of whom a biological sketch appears elsewhere in this work. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm in the northern part of New London Township, and received a common-school education. He was engaged in farming until the summer of 1862, when he enlisted on August 7 as a private in Company K, 25th Regiment Iowa Infantry, and served until the close of the war. His first service was at the beginning of the siege of Vicksburg under Grant, next at the battle Arkansas Post, Kennesaw Mountain and Chattanooga, which included Missionary Ridge, Taylor's Ridge and Lookout Mountain. Next at Nashville, Resaca, and Columbia, S. C., from there to Savannah, Ga., where he was among the first to enter the city. From there he went to Beaufort and Columbia, S. C., participating in those engagements. He made the march to the sea under Gen. Sherman, fighting his last battle at Goldsboro, N. C. During his long term of active service Mr. Lee was neither wounded nor prisoner, was never confined in a hospital or in an ambulance. On his return from the war he resumed farming in Henry County, and was married in Des Moines County, Iowa, to Miss Elizabeth Bridges, March 9, 1873. Mrs. Lee was born in Des Moines County, and is the daughter of Napoleon and Sarah (Hackelman) Bridges. Her parents emigrated from Illinois to Iowa in 1836.
Mrs. Lee's father, Napoleon Bridges, was born in Indiana, and her paternal grandfather in Virginia, the family being of German descent. Her mother, Sarah Hackelman, was born in Wabash County, Ind., to which place her parents had removed from Maysville, Ky. In 1835 the family removed to Morgan (now Cass) County, Ill., but later returned to Rush County, Ind. Mrs. Lee lost her father when he was thirty-eight years of age, and her mother died at the age of twenty. Her grandfather, Abner Hackelman, founded a colony in Oregon, in 1845. Mrs. Lee was reared in Des Moines County, Iowa.
Mr. Lee continued to carry on his farm of 206 acres, which is well improved, and situated on sections 2 and 12 of New London Township, Henry County, until about 1881, when he moved to the village of New London, where he now resides. He also has eighteen acres of timber land in the same township. Mr. and Mrs. Lee are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Lee is a Republican in politics, and has held various local offices. He has served as a member of the Board of Trustees of New London Township, and as one of the Council of the village. He is a member of J. W. Hardin Post No. 384, G. A. R., of New London, and is held in high esteem as a respected, honorable man, and good citizen.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 362 & 365.)
John F. Leech
JOHN F. LEECH, Mayor of the city of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, is a native of the State, born at Bloomfield, Davis County, July 9, 1848. His father, Hon. Andrew Leech, was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1807. His mother, Agnes (Bell) Leech, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1811. They were married in the latter county in 1833, and emigrated to Van Buren County, Iowa, in the summer of 1840. A year later they moved to Davis County and settled in Bloomfield, which at that time contained about a dozen houses. Here Andrew Leech purchased and developed a large tract of land adjoining the town. He took an active part in all public matters tending to the development of his adopted home, and in 1846 was elected a member of the first State Legislature at Iowa City, and voted for the first United States Senators - Dodge and Jones. In 1855 he was appointed Land Receiver of the land-office at Sioux City, holding the office six years. In 1864 Mr. Leech emigrated to Madison County, Mont., and while there was elected Treasurer of the county. After four years he returned to Bloomfield, Iowa, where he lived a retired life until his death, which occurred in 1886. He was a selfmade man of more than ordinary ability, and was an especially valuable citizen in a newly settled region, his enterprise, sagacity and foresight being of great benefit to the community, which rewarded him by placing him in responsible positions, none of which he ever sought. He and his wife were life-long members of the Presbyterian Church. The latter, now a woman of advanced age, is still living at Bloomfield, where she is regarded as an estimable Christian lady, and is highly respected.
Andrew Leech and wife were the parents of eight children, namely: Matthew, a farmer in Cowley County, Kan.; Robert, a merchant at Omaha, Neb.; Andrew, an attorney-at-law, Palisade, Neb.; William, County Clerk for several terms of Davis County, Iowa; John F, Mayor of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa; Emma and Margaret, living in Bloomfield, and Nannie, wife of Palmer Trimble, of Keokuk, Iowa.
The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in his native county, and spent four years in Montana with his father, during which time he learned the printing business. In 1868 he returned to his native place and there worked at his trade. In 1870 he came to Mt. Pleasant, where he entered the Iowa Wesleyan University, graduating in the class of 1874, and during these four years also doing work in a printing-office. Subsequently, for several years he was connected with the Mt. Pleasant Journal as one of its editors. He afterward studied law and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1877, since which time, in connection with other business, he has been in the continuous practice of his profession. He is now Mayor of the city of Mt. Pleasant, his present term completing his fifth year in that position, that being good evidence of the appreciation of his neighbors. His training has been especially valuable in teaching him the practical needs of a city, and the results are apparent in the admirable manner in which he discharges the duties of a responsible position. He takes a warm interest in educational matters, and for six years was Clerk of the School Board.
Mr. Leech was married, Sept. 28, 1880, in Mt. Pleasant, to Miss Belle Requa, a daughter of Joseph Requa, one of the early settlers of Henry County. She was born in 1858 in Mt. Pleasant.
Independent in politics, advocating always the adoption of all measures designed for the good of the community, and a man of undoubted probity, Mr. Leech has in a marked degree the respect of all who know him.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 358-59.)
H. K. LEEDHAM, of Leedham & Baugh, dealers in lumber, lath, shingles, and manufacturers of sash, doors, blinds, moldings, etc., Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, established the latter business here in 1872. The firm employ about fourteen hands in the factory, situated at the terminus of Lincoln, on Henry street. Mr. Leedham was born in Washington County, Ohio, Dec. 24, 1830, and is the son of John and Sarah (Kensington) Leedham. His parents were born in England and came to America in 1818, settling at Marietta, Ohio, and were among the earliest settlers in that region. They came to Iowa in 1844, and settled in New London Township, Henry County, where John Leedham was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in March, 1865. His wife also died in the same mouth, but four years later. John Leedham was an upright man of unblemished character, who was considered by those who knew him to be one of the best men of the locality in which he resided. In England both husband and wife were members of the Established Church, but after coming to this country adhered to the Universalist Church.
The subject of this sketch, H. K. Leedham, was reared on a farm, but learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked three years. He was also employed at a sawmill about three years, and afterward again went to farming. In 1872 he commenced the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds, in company with Mr. L. G. Baugh (see sketch), which connection has now continued for fifteen years. Mr. Leedham was married, July 12, 1853, to Elizabeth Clark, daughter of Jacob Clark, who was an old settler of Van Buren County, Iowa. Mrs. Leedham was born in Pennsylvania, and died childless in April, 1861. Mr. Leedham was married again, Feb. 16, 1862, in Des Moines County, Iowa, to Mrs. Emma Wright, widow of John Wright, and daughter of Almer Lewis. This lady was also born in Pennsylvania. Three children were born of this union: Perry A., born Dec. 16, 1864, who has been reading medicine, and is now studying in Iowa City with a view to adopting the profession of a physician; Ida M., born Feb. 3, 1869, died June 16, 1871, and Earle M., born May 29, 1880, died Sept. 24, 1882.
Mr. Leedham is independent in politics, believing that good government is more likely to be obtained through electing good men to office than by a close adherence to party lines. He is a broadgauged, whole-souled style of a man, to whom, to use a Western phrase, it "is safe to tie to." As a business man and a citizen, he is justly held in esteem, and for his manly qualities and his integrity of character, he enjoys the confidence of the entire community.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p 250)(JC)
WILLIAM LITZENBERG, one of the leading farmers of Henry County, resides on section 35, Marion Township. He was born at Clarksville, Greene Co., Pa., Nov. 25, 1811, and is the son of John and Nancy (Prang) Litzenberg, natives of Pennsylvania, though the mother was of German descent. They were the parents of eleven children, four of whom are living: David, a farmer living in Knox County, Ohio; Susan, wife of John Jackson, also resides in Knox County, Ohio; John, who still lives in Knox County, Ohio. The deceased are Elvina, Sarah, George, Simon, James Wesley, and one who died in infancy.
William, the subject of this sketch, remained at home with his parents until he was of age, and was educated in the common schools of his native State, and on reaching his majority he went to Washington County, Pa., and bought a farm of 130 acres, on which he resided until 1865, with the exception of a period of between two and three years when engaged in other occupation than that of farming. On the 10th day of March, 1835, Mr. Litzenberg was married to Miss Charlotte Rush, and to them were born five children: Priscilla, wife of John Rose, was born Jan. 20, 1836, and now lives in Greene County, Pa.; Elizabeth was born June 24, 1839, and is the wife of Hiram Horner; John, born March 17, 1841; James R. was born April 7, 1844, and died March 8, 1847; Hiram, who is now living on the old homestead in Washington County, Pa.
The mother of the above-named children departed this life Dec. 12, 1846. She was a devoted and loving mother, a faithful wife, a true Christian woman. Mr. Litzenberg was again married, Dec. 16, 1846, to Amelia Tegard, a native of Pennsylvania. By this union were born unto them: Henry L., born Sept. 16, 1847, and died Nov. 21, 1851; Margaret H., born Jan. 27, 1850, and died Nov. 24, 1851; Mary Olive, born Feb. 7, 1853, is the wife of S. Powell, residing in Phillips County, Kan.; Sarah, wife of Charles Swan, a resident of New London, Iowa. Mr. Litzenberg's second wife departed this life Dec. 12, 1859, and he was again married, Nov. 6, 1860, to Mary Long, a native of Greene County, Pa., born Dec. 16, 1830. To them were born four children: William, who is now a farm of Henry County, Iowa; Ellen, the wife of Frank Skipton, a farmer of Henry County, residing near New London; Ada, who died Sept. 18, 1869, and Benjamin.
In the year 1869 Mr. Litzenberg sold his farm in Washington County, Pa., and emigrated to Henry County, buying 300 acres of land in Marion Township, where he has since resided. Mr. Litzenberg has always been a man with a heart and hand open to all who came to him in need, and no worthy object of charity was ever repulsed by him. He has been greatly prospered in his business relations, and it is all due to his energy and economy as a business man. He has always been a leading citizen wherever he has lived, whether in Iowa or Pennsylvania. In his early days he was a Whig, but has voted the Democratic ticket since 1860, and has always done his part in all public charities and enterprises, and many a poor man attributes his success in life to the timely aid lent him by Mr. Litzenberg when he needed a friend, and fully realizes that "a friend in need is a friend indeed."
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 635.)
William L. Litzenberg
WILLIAM L. LITZENBERG, residing on section 35, Marion Township, is one of the enterprising young farmers of Henry County, Iowa. He was born in Washington County, Pa., Aug. 27, 1861, and is the son of William and Mary A. (Long) Litzenberg. (The father's sketch appears elsewhere in this work.) Young Litzenberg came to Henry County with his parents in the year 1865, and his life has been spent on a farm. He is a man of excellent judgment in all things pertaining to his business, and has been remarkably successful, being possessed of more of this world's goods than many men of double his age. He owns an excellent farm of 210 acres, all under a high state of cultivation, and adorned with good, substantial farm buildings. Under his management his farm has steadily increased in value until it is now second to none of its size in the county. He also has control of 240 additional acres. Mr. Litzenberg carried on general stock-raising in connection with his farming, and in this has been equally successful.
On the 10th of February, 1885, he was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Neel, who was born Oct. 6, 1864, in Henry County, Iowa, and is the daughter of John and Martha A. (Swan) Neel. Her father is a native of Indiana and her mother of Pennsylvania. Mr. Neel is a farmer of Marion Township, residing on section 14.
Mr. and Mrs. Litzenberg have one child, a bright little boy, John W., born Dec. 9, 1886. Mr. Litzenberg is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife of the Presbyterian. He is a man full of energy and public spirit, entering heartily into all enterprises for the general good of the community. His farm is one of the best natural stock farms in the county, being supplied with never-failing water in great abundance, and he has built one of the finest barns in this part of the State. It is 48x60 and 18 feet high, with a 10-foot basement. He has a fine line of stock, horses, cattle and hogs, and everything about his place betokens thrift and careful oversight. In politics he is a Democrat.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 534-35.)
JASPER LUSK, a farmer and stock-raiser, residing on section 36, Trenton Township, Henry Co., Iowa, is a native of Greene County, Ill. He was born March 17, 1832, and is the son of W. B. and Sarah [Dickson] Lusk, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Jasper, after his mother's death, which occurred when he was two years old, lived with an uncle and aunt in Illinois for six years, but in 1839 his father took him to live with himself, bringing him to Henry County. He was reared upon the home farm in Tippecanoe Township, and at the age of twenty made an overland trip to California, where he remained for two years engaged in farming and mining. With his father, he returned home by water, by way of Panama and New York. After his return he obtained 240 acres of land on section 36, Trenton Township, which at that time was raw land, and upon this farm he still resides.
In 1857 Jasper Lusk was united in marriage with Annie Costlow, a native of Pickaway County, Ohio. She was born Aug. 3, 1837, and is a daughter of James and Delia [Hildrith] Costlow. On the paternal side she is of Irish descent, her father being a native of that country, and her mother a native of New York. To Mr. and Mrs. Lusk have been born three children: James W., still residing at home; Florence, wife of Luther Gayer, of Kokomo, Ind.; Myrtle Elnora, at home. In 1863 Mr. Lusk again crossed the plains with an ox-team, and reaching Montana, he engaged in mining for two years, returning home by the way of the Missouri River. After his return he again resumed his occupation of farming, which he has continued ever since. Mr. Lusk is an excellent farmer, understanding the business thoroughly. He has 500 acres of land, mostly under cultivation, and his stock is of the best grades in the market, and he ships from one to three car-loads of cattle per year. He believes that stock to yield a good income must be well kept. Upon the farm is a fine country residence worth $1,500. Mr. Lusk takes great interest in all educational matters. Politically, he is a Democrat, but is liberal in his views.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp. 543-544)(PW)
WILLIAM B. LUSK, a pioneer among pioneers, and one of the few who yet remain to tell the story of the hardships endured by the early settlers, lives on section 1, Tippecanoe Township. He is a native of Tennessee, born in Carter County, April 4, 1803, and is a son of John and Jane [Boyd] Lusk, both of whom are also natives of Tennessee. His paternal grandfather, Robert Lusk, was a native of Ireland, who came to this country when a mere boy and who served through the Revolutionary War. His maternal grandfather, William Boyd, was a native American and also served through the Revolutionary War. Both were early settlers in Tennessee. In his father's family there were fourteen children, all of whom lived to be adults. Of that number William was second in order of birth, and is the only surviving one. He remained at home on his father's farm until seventeen years of age, when he engaged as a drover, buying stock, principally horses, and driving them to Georgia and other States in the South, where he disposed of them. In this business he continued about ten years and was very successful, accumulating in that time about $15,000. He then started a packing-house in Augusta, Ga., and during one season was engaged in pork packing. By reason of an unfavorable season his pork spoiled and he lost heavily. His misfortunes did not sour him, but thinking he might better himself in so doing, in 1834 he emigrated to Greene County, Ill., and squatted on a piece of land and there engaged in farming. In the winter of 1835 he came to Henry County, Iowa, and settled in Center Township, where he remained one year and then moved to section 1, Tippecanoe Township, where he entered 160 acres of raw land, built a cabin in frontier style, and there he has since continued to reside. From time to time he has added to his possessions, until he now owns 1,700 acres of land, mostly under cultivation. In addition to general farming he has engaged extensively in feeding and shipping cattle and other stock, and has been one of the leading farmers of Henry County.
Mr. Lusk has been twice married. His first wife was Nancy Dixon, a native of Tennessee and daughter of Samuel Dixon. By that union was one child, Jasper, who now lives in Trenton Township, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Nancy Lusk died in 1834. The second wife of Mr. Lusk was Sarah Jones, a native of Kentucky and daughter of Claybourn Jones, also a native of Kentucky. They were married in 1835. As husband and wife they lived happily together a period of fifty-two years, Mrs. Lusk dying July 15, 1887.
Few men have led a more active life than William B. Lusk. In every sense of the word he is a self-made man. Commencing life a poor boy he has twice made an independent fortune, while at the same time he has ever been liberal with relatives and friends. All that he has he has made by his own hard labor and habits of industry. In 1849 he crossed the plains to California and there engaged in mining for one year, being reasonably successful. Returning home he remained until 1852, when he once more made the overland trip to that new Eldorado, where he remained four years engaged in the stock business, adding greatly to his possessions. In 1860 he made the trip to Idaho, where he remained eight months engaged in the stock business. He has crossed the plains four times to the Pacific Coast and once made the trip by water. Politically he is a Jackson Democrat, and his first Presidential vote was cast for Andrew Jackson. As a citizen few men are better known and none more universally respected than William B. Lusk, the subject of this sketch, and a pioneer in Henry county for more than a half century.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, pp. 565-566)(PW)
Edwin A. Lyman
EDWIN A. LYMAN, editor and proprietor of the New London Eclipse, was born at Mt. Gilead, Ohio, April 30, 1864, and is a son of William and Mary (Hotchkiss) Lyman. He came with his parents to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1872, and was educated in the common schools of that place. He learned telegraphy, and worked for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and was engaged in operating about eight years. He came to New London in 1884, and in company with W. S. Dover, started the New London Sun, April 30, 1887, but sold his interest in August following, and on Aug. 13, 1887, issued the first number of the Eclipse, which is a seven-column folio, neutral in politics, published on Thursday of each week. Mr. Lyman was married, Sept. 4, 1883, to Miss Minnie Philpott, daughter of Dr. Philpott. Mrs. Lyman was born in New London.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 548.)
Henry Clay Lynchard
HENRY CLAY LYNCHARD, of Mt. Pleasant, was born on the 8th of May, 1817, in Bourbon County, Ky. He is the son of Thomas and Prudence (Talbert) Lynchard, who were both natives of Virginia, but at an early day their parents emigrated to Kentucky, where the young people became acquainted and were united in marriage. Their union was blessed with eight children, only two of whom are now living: Nancy, the wife of James Burris, now resides in Virginia, Ill; her husband was a soldier in the Rebellion, and died after being discharged, from disease contracted while in the army. The other child is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Lynchard served his country faithfully as a soldier during the War of 1812, and died at home in Kentucky, in 1822, from the effects of exposure during his service. His wife was again married, to William Bowman, and they removed in 1823 to Covington, Ky., and subsequently to Newport in the same State, and then to Cincinnati, Ohio, where she resided until the time of her death, which occurred in 1834. Mrs. Bowman was a faithful member of the Christian Church. She had one child by her second husband, Jacob, who now resides in Indiana.
Henry C. Lynchard, the subject of this sketch, went with his mother to Cincinnati when about six years of age, and was compelled to work at such odd jobs as he could find until the age of eighteen, when he bound himself to Mr. William Abbott for two and a half years, receiving his board and clothes, and was to have at the end of his apprenticeship a set of edged tools. He was married June 5, 1837, to Miss Elizabeth Hill, who was born near Knoxville, Tenn. By this union they had a family of eight children, six of whom are now living: Isabel is the wife of John A. Hughes, an ornamental painter of Chicago, Ill.; Caroline S. is the wife of John Beam, of Springfield, Ill.; Charles A. is a resident of Henry County, Iowa; Maggie P. is the wife of Robert Goudy, of Taylorville, Ill.; William H. resides at Council Bluffs, Iowa, and is editor of the Herald; Alice married John Saunders, of Harper County, Kan., who is a real-estate agent.
Mrs. Lynchard was called to her final rest May 9, 1860, and her husband was again married, July 28, 1862, to Fannie Allen, the widow of Mathew Syphard, who was a native of Virginia, emigrating to Ohio, and from thence to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where he died Aug. 28, 1860, respected by all who knew him. Mrs. Lynchard's parents were David and Elizabeth (Massey) Allen; their union was blessed with three children, two of whom are now living: Mary Guysleman, of Hillsboro, Ohio, and Mrs. Lynchard. The mother of these children died in 1827. Mr. Allen was again married, to Eliza Laird, by whom he had nine children, two of whom are now living: Amanda is the wife of George Litchfield, of Illinois, and Nancy is the wife of Henry Reed, of Highland County, Ohio, at which place Mr. Allen died.
Mr. and Mrs. Lynchard are members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Mt. Pleasant, and are earnest workers in their Master's vineyard. Mr. Lynchard is entirely a self-made man, having worked his way up over discouragements and difficulties until he is now independent, and has the respect and confidence of all. He has always been identified with the Republican party, and always ready to advance its interests.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 634-35.)
Hugh Robert Lyons
HON. HUGH ROBERT LYONS, residing on section 29, Scott Township, Henry Co., Iowa, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, July 10, 1825, and is a son of Robert and Mary (Hopper) Lyons. The father was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1787, but when two weeks old the grandfather, Hugh Lyons, brought him to America, settling in Pennsylvania. He emigrated to Belmont County, Ohio, in an early day, and there Robert grew to manhood. He wedded Mary Hopper, a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Robert Hopper, a native of County Antrim, of the Emerald Isle. Robert Lyons died Dec. 23, 1826, at the age of thirty-seven, when his only child, our subject, was but a year old.
Until eighteen years of age H. R. Lyons resided with his mother, but at that time went to West Carlisle, Ohio, where he was engaged as clerk in a general merchandise store. He remained there three years, and then formed a partnership with Samuel Shockey, and continued in business for three years, carrying a full line of general merchandise. On the 2d of June, 1855, Mr. Lyons removed to Henry County, Iowa, locating on section 29, half of which he had previously entered. Immediately commencing to improve the land, he has it now under a fine state of cultivation, and it is considered one of the best farms in the township.
Mr. Lyons was united in marriage, Sept. 1, 1847, to Elizabeth McKee, a native of Coshocton County, Ohio, born Aug. 18, 1828, and a daughter of Gilbert and Henrietta (Fairall) McKee. The father was a native of County Donegal, Ireland, and the mother of Maryland, though of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Lyons have been the parents of eight children: Robert McKee, a railroad employe [sic]; Sarah Mariah, wife of Z. P. Hedges, of Manning, Iowa; Gilbert Howard, one of the night watches at the Insane Asylum at Independence, Iowa; Mary A., who died in infancy; Henrietta, wife of Edgar Neil, of Scott Township; Lizzie Augusta, wife of J. I. Van Scyoc, of Canaan Township; Minnetta Alice, wife of L. J. Carden, of Marion Township; and Adeline Lincoln, wife of F. W. Hemmings, of Danville, Des Moines Co., Iowa. Mr. Lyons and his wife are both members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of A. F. & A. M., and is a Republican in politics, but was a Whig before the organization of that party. He has held the office of County Commissioner for three years, and in the fall of 1863 was elected to the Tenth General Assembly of the State Legislature, and was again elected to the Fifteenth in 1873. He is now Township Trustee, which office he has held for a number of years. His success in life is all due to his own efforts. He received but few educational advantages, and without financial assistance he has risen to a place of prominence. By his honest labor he has become the possessor of 325 acres of land, and the citizens of the district showed in what respect he was held when they elected him to a seat in their legislative halls, and the Hon. H. R. Lyons we gladly welcome to a place in the history of Henry County. he is a representative of the best class of its citizens, and his many friends will be pleased to read this brief sketch of his career.
(Portrait and Biographical Album, Henry County, Iowa; Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, 1888, p. 534.)
Biographies Index ** Henry County Home
Copyright IAGenWeb, the submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimers
~all of which applies to the Henry county website.~