Pioneer Histories of Harris Grove 1851-1861
Written in 1920 by H. H. McKenney
John D. DOW and his wife, Jemima TENNY DOW, came to the Grove from Michigan. He was a blacksmith by trade. They lived for some time near the PERRY & ROGER's mill, which he tried to operate, but without success. Then he moved into the MCINTIRE cabin, having bought the forty acres upon which it stood, of John MCKENNEY. He bought the DYE sawmill and moved it to REEDER's MILL, and after some years to Six Mile grove, in Sec 17, where it was known as "DOW's MILL," one of the pioneer land marks.
There he added some burrs and ground flour, and in later years a fine quality of buckwheat flour which was popular. He was long a justice of the peace in Cass Township. A character with originality.
There were thirteen births in the family, two reaching majority.
A daughter, Sarah, married Thos. G. PARKER. A son, John D. DOW, now living in Montreal.
Charles BAXTER, a brother-in-law of Mr. DOW, came to the Grove at the same time and lived in a house near the present home of Frank WALTERS.
Mrs. Elizabeth ELLIS, a sister of Columbus M. PATTON, came from Magnolia about the year 1858, and lived for number of years in a cabin that stood on the NW 1/4 SE 1/4 of Sec. 32, Jefferson Township, and noted as the place where George COTTON died. Living with her at the time where two of her daughters, Maggie and Mollie, and her son, Wm. Clark ELLIS, later a successful merchant at Missouri Valley, and also a daughter, Annie, the first teacher in LINNWOOD School.
Reverend Kirkland CARD was born Sept. 16, 1826, at Deerfield, Portage County, Ohio. He was married to Polly CALVIN, born September 10, 1826, at Palmyra Center, in the same county. They moved from this county to Kanesville in 1850, and wintered in a cabin at "BYBEE'S Camp", in Pottawattamie County. In the spring of 1851 they moved to Six Mile Grove, Sec. 20. In 1859 he was appointed circuit rider on Harlan Mission, living at STICKLEY Mills. In 1860 they moved to REEDER's Mill, having been assigned the Magnolia circuit.
In 1863 they moved back to the farm, and in 1865 to Whitesboro, in Jefferson Township, and to Logan in 1883. Rev. CARD passed into rest in February 1891, and Mrs. CARD in February 1902.
Alice married Frank WHITE
John B. married Adele DONALDSON
Sylvester K. married Mrs. Elizabeth (ERVIN) BOSTIC
Mary married Thos. L. MIKESELL
Luella married Conrad ORR
William B. married Nellie DUVALL
Archibald JOHNSON was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1820. At the age of twenty-one, he came with his father's family from Scotland, and settled in Ontario, Canada. With a brother he came over into the states to work on the railroads that were being built at that time.
It was in Indiana that he met and wooed Olive OWENS, to whom he was married in 1851. She was born in Indiana in 1835. Some years later they moved to Polk County, Iowa, then in 1860 to Magnolia, and in 1862 to the old home in NE1/4 SW1/4 Sec. 36, Township 79, Range 43, in Jefferson Township, being just north of Harris Grove creek. There were eight children, two dying in infancy. Mrs. JOHNSON died at the old home in 1873, and Mr. JOHNSON at Logan, December 1906.
A. Wayland married Olive KERR
Claiborne F. married Minnie JOHNSON, Nellie FOOTE
Margaret married G. Henry LONGMAN
J. Harvey married Allie MCCOID
Sarah married M. H. MONTAN
William H. married Ellen HEILMAN
William ORR was born in Belfast, Ireland, March 16, 1826. When he was sixteen years of age he came to this country and relocated in Ohio, where he lived until 1844. In 1848 he returned to Ireland for a visit, where he married Margaret ORR, March 24th, 1849. She was born in Monoway County, Ireland, March 23, 1826. Immediately after their marriage they came to the United States. In 1857, they located in Florence, Nebraska. In 1861 they came to Harris Grove and made a home in W 1/2 SE 1/4 Sec 4, LaGrange Township, selling this farm to Alfred LONGMAN in 1872, they moved to Pottawattamie County.
In connection with his large farming interests, Mr. ORR was an active dealer in livestock, buying before railroads, and driving them overland to Council Bluffs, and later introduced the purebred Durham.
Margaret married D. S. FRANK
John Alex married Ellen J. CROSSLEY
Elizabeth married H. B. KNOWLES
Mary married Artemus WARD
Lamont married Elizabeth WALLACE
William L. married Winnie MCINTYRE
Emma married William CLEARY
Reuben B. SHORT and his wife, Narcessa HALE SHORT came to Harris grove from Pottawattamie County in 1861, and lived in a tenant house on the Chas. BAUGHN farm, moving away in 1863.
Bennett married Manda MOON
George Washington married Nancy Frazier
Xavier ALECK was born in Reages Baden, Germany, March 31, 1828. He came to the United States in 1852, and lived in Philadelphia, Pa., until1855, when he came to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and in 1856 to Harris Grove.
He was a tailor by trade and made clothes for the men and boys of the Grove in the fall and winter, returning to Council Bluffs during some of the summers. While in the Grove he entered E1/2 NE1/4 and NE1/4 SE1/4 of Sec 28, in Cass Township. Returning to Pennsylvania in 1858, he was married to Christiane GEIGER, Feb 8th, 1860. She was born Wurtenburg, Germany, July 9th, 1838. Soon after their marriage they moved to Council Bluffs. The parents and one sister of Mrs. ALECK came with them. Mr. ALECK bought a yoke of oxen and wagon, and with this original equipment he moved to the prairie and became one of the successful farmers of his time. They resided on this until March 1st, 1899, when they moved to Logan, living there until the death of Mr. ALECK which occurred June 29, 1903, and Mrs. ALECK December 3, 1903.
Magdeline A. married F. Henry CADWELL
John X. married Anna M. BIRKS
Theresa M. married Harm HARMSEN
Martha J. married W. S. HENDERSON
Joseph A. married Ida M. MARTENS
Charles H. married Lizzie KUCKS
Amelia J. married E. C. WILSON
Annie E. married Isaac A. Hyde