The Union Sunday School, established before the Civil War in 1857,
and until its closing in 1963, was the oldest organization in
Clermont. Its first meeting was held in the home of Mrs. Steadman,
(the first school teacher in Clermont) which stood on the site of
the present Grace Simek home.
Mrs. Steadman was the first
superintendent. In over 100 years only six others have had the honor
of serving in that capacity -- which is excellent roof of the
harmony and co-operation of the Union Sunday School. The
superintendents in line of order were Mrs. Stedman, Mrs. Loomis,
Mrs. William Larrabee, Sr., Mrs. William Larrabee, Jr., Mrs.
Clarence Gruver, Mrs. Louis T. Olson and Mrs. Fred Cline. The latter
served in that capacity for more than 30 years.
The same bell called the first meeting to order in 1857 and the
last in 1963. It is engraved with the names of the superintendents
in the order of their service. The Presbyterian Church was later the
meeting place. When the Presbyterian congregation disbanded, soon
after the church was built, the building was left to the use of the
Sunday School, providing the organization kept the church in good
repair. The agreement was entered into by Governor and Mrs. Larrabee
and the Presbyterian synod.
The building houses one of the most beautiful pipe organs in this
part of the state, a gift from Governor Larrabee to his daughter,
Miss Anna, who played the organ every morning for the Sunday School
service for more than 60 years. The union Sunday school was the
place a rider stopped on a Sunday morning during the service and
announced the assassination of President Lincoln.