George Washington KIPLE, son of George Henry KIPLE
and Sarah BERRY/PERRY, was born in Pennsville, PA, 01
January 1831. George died 9 January 1911 in West Union, Iowa, at 80 years
of age. His body was interred in the West Union Cemetery, Fayette Co.,
West Union, Iowa. He married Margalena "Margaret" A. HIDINGER
in West Union, Fayette Co., Ia, 31 July 1859. Margalena was born in
Saxony, Germany 24 July 1843. Margalena was the daughter of Heinrich "Henry"
HIDINGER and "Kunigunde" Louisa Susannah SCHMIDT.
(also of Fayette County). Margaret was 3yrs old with her family, when they
traveled across the Ocean from Germany on the Hamburg brig Wilhelmine
arriving in New York 27 Oct. 1846. Margalena died 17 February 1930 at 86
years of age. Her body was interred in West Union, Fayette Co., Iowa.
George and Margaret were residents of the 1860, 1870 and 1880 Census
Reports for Illyria T., Fayette Co., IA and then for the 1900 Census
Reports for Union, Fayette Co., IA. Due to the large size of their family,
numerous descendants also lived in Fayette County.
(Newspaper Article from Fayette Co. Library obtained by Sandy Bressler
during August 1998 visit. Dated April 8, 1903 )
""The G. W. Kiple residence on the old Jess Herriman farm two
miles east of town was destroyed by fire early last Thursday morning with
nearly all its contents. About two o'clock Mr. Kiple was awakened by his
dog, and the whole upper part of the house was then in flames, the hired
man getting out with difficulty. The fire is supposed to have started from
the chimney. Mr. Kiple carried $900 on the house and $500 on the contents,
all in the Fayette County Mutual, and he is much pleased with the
promptness and fairness of the officials, who made a him a settlement in
full on Monday."
George Washington KIPLE and Margalena "Margaret"
A. HIDINGER had the following 17 children:
1. Adelaide Mary KIPLE was born 17 February 1861. (m. John Yeadon)
2. Van Dorn KIPLE was born 2 August 1862. (m. Amelia Kohler)
3. John Edward KIPLE was born 22 December 1863. (m. Bertha Paxton,
4. Annettia H. KIPLE was born 13 April 1865. (m. Edward Arthur West)
5. Esther Ann KIPLE was born 15 February 1867. (m. Henry William Conner)
6. George Horatio KIPLE was born 3 November 1868. (m. Sarah Ann Kohler)
7. Robert Sheridan KIPLE was born 29 May 1870. (m. Ida Castor, Emma
8. Noah Webster KIPLE was born 19 October 1872. (m. Bertha Kohler)
9. Murray VanOrman KIPLE was born 19 July 1874. (m. Elizabeth Bohannon)
10. Matty Blanche KIPLE was born 29 September 1876. (m. Emil Young)
11. Leroy Lemane KIPLE was born in West Union, Fayette, Iowa 20 September
1878. Leroy died 14 October 1886 at 8 years of age. His body was interred
in Elgin, Iowa.
12. Sarah KIPLE was born in West Union, Fayette, Iowa 15 April 1880. Sarah
died 24 October 1886 at 6years of age. Her body was interred Wadena
Cemetery, Fayette Co., IA.
13. Luella KIPLE was born in West Union, Fayette, Iowa 6 July 1882. Luella
died 6 July 1882 at less than one year of age. Her body was interred
Wadena Cemetery, Fayette Co., IA.
14. Timothy (twin) KIPLE was born in West Union, Fayette, Iowa 29
September 1883. Timothy died 29 September 1883 at less than one year of
age. His body was interred Wadena Cemetery, Fayette Co., IA.
15. Tice (twin) KIPLE was born in West Union, Fayette, Iowa 29 September
1883. Tice died 12 October 1883 at less than one year of age. His body
was interred Wadena Cemetery, Fayette Co., IA.
16. Margaret Lillian KIPLE was born in West Union, Fayette, Iowa 21
November 1885. Margaret died 6 March 1886 at less than one year of age.
Her body was interred 1886.
17. Mina May KIPLE was born 21 September 1887. (m. Clarence Burnham)
Newspaper Obit from Fayette Co. Library obtained by Sandy Bressler
during August 1998 visit. (dated Jan 4, 1911):
"George W. Kiple Passed Away Monday, Aged Eighty Years -- Funeral
Today -- George W. Kiple died Monday night after a week's illness resulting
from a fall. He was eighty years old on Jan. 1. The day before Christmas
he had the misfortune to fall and again the day after Christmas he
sustained a second fall. But he was not confined to his bed until Jan. 2
and he passed away at 10:30 pm Jan. 9, 1911. George Washington Kiple was
born in Pennsville, Pa., Jan. ?, 1831. When twenty-two years old he came
to Iowa and entered U.I.U. at Fayette, where he attended school for three
years. After leaving Fayette he taught school for two years in Wadena. He
was married at Wadena July 30, 1859 to Miss Margaret Hidinger. They moved
to Kansas in 1865, remaining only a year. They returned to Fayette county
and lived at Wadena until 1897 then moved to Madison county, where they
lived for five years. Six years ago they again returned to Fayette county,
making West Union their home. To them were born twenty children, of whom
nine survive to mourn the death of their father: Van Dorn of Mason City,
John E. of Chicago, Mrs. Annetta West of near Clermont, Mrs. Esther Conner
of West Union, George H. of near Elgin, Robert S. of Idaho, Murray V. of
Elgin, Mrs. Matty Young of San Francisco, and Miss Mina May at home. There
are also forty-two grand children. One granddaughter, Miss Valda Yeadon,
has made her home with the grandparents. On July 30, 1909 Mr. and Mrs.
Kiple celebrated their golden wedding with almost all their children
present. Mr. Kiple had been a member of the Methodist church at Highland.
During his last illness he enjoyed gospel songs and expressed his belief
that all was well. Funeral services were conducted at 2 o'clock this
afternoon from the Methodist church by Rev. L.A. Wisher and interment made
in the West Union Cemetery."
We are currently compiling a descendant list from this Kiple line as
well as siblings to our Ancestor George Washington Kiple...a family which
goes back to the 1790's in NJ.