Join Our Team
Fayette County, Iowa
Portrait & Biographical Album of Fayette County Iowa
Containing Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of
Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County
Lake City Publishing Co., Chicago
JOHN JAMISON, a pioneer business man of Oelwein and President of the Bank of West Union, was born on the 20th of September, 1844, in Pittsburg, Pa., being a son of James and Jane (Boale) Jamison, early settlers of this county. With his parents he came to Iowa in 1852, the family locating in Auburn, Fayette County, where Mr. Jamison, Sr., engaged in merchandising for two years when he removed to the farm near West Union. In the public schools of that city John acquired his primary education and afterward entered the Upper Iowa University with which institution he is now identified as a member of its Board of Trustees.
John Jamison, our subject, embarked in business for himself in January, 1871, as a merchant of Auburn, Fayette County, being associated with Hull Hoagland, under the firm name of Hoagland & Jamison. They continued business at that place until July, 1874, when they removed their stock of goods to Oelwein, and continued business under the old firm name. The same summer this company established the Bank of Oelwein, the first banking house of that city, also associated with them John Irvine, and together the three gentlemen dealt extensively in live stock, under the firm name of Irvine & Co. Soon after coming to Oelwein Mr. Jamison, without interruption to his other business relations, formed a partnership with his brother Thomas (since deceased) in the hardware business at that place, under the style of Jamison Bros., which was continued about two years. In 1876 the mercantile firm of Hoagland & Jamison was dissolved and the business continued by John and Samuel Jamison, under the firm name of Jamison Bros., who continued operations in the line of merchandising until September, 1890, when the younger brother sold out to Messrs. Fels and Corkery, John Jamison retaining his interest and the firm name being changed to Fels, Corkery & Co. This is the only mercantile house in Oelwein that has been in existence since the establishment of the town, and Mr. Jamison has continued his connection with it from the beginning. In 1884 he aided in the establishment of a bank at West Union, which was organized with a capital of $100,000, and of which he has been President since its organization. In 1882 the Bank of Oelwein was sold by its proprietors to to S. B. Zeigler & Co., of West Union, who operated it two years, when it again became the property of Jamison Brothers & Co., the firm being composed of John and George W. Jamison and E. B. Shaw, the present cashier of the Fayette County National Bank of West Union. (See history of the Bank of Oelwein, of which our subject is cashier and resident manager.)
In Auburn, Fayette County, on the 8th of September, 1875, Mr. Jamison was united in marriage with Miss Florence Hoagland, daughter of Hull Hoagland, and a native of Mercer County, Pa. Their family numbers two children, sons, both born in Oelwein: Ray B., born February 28, 1877; and Fred, October 7, 1882.
The parents are members of the Presbyterian Church and rank high in the social world. In politics Mr. Jamison is a Democrat and was elected Treasurer of Fayette County in 1883, nominated on the Democratic ticket when the county was Republican by four hundred majority, and served during the term of 1884-85. In 1889 he was chosen a member of the Board of Trustees of the Upper Iowa University, which position he now holds. He has long been recognized as one of the leading business men of Fayette County, both in mercantile and banking circles. He possesses superior executive and business ability and has been eminently successful in his undertakings.
back to Fayette 1891 Biography Index
back to Fayette Biography Directory
back to Fayette County home