West Linn Cemetery History
Linn Twp. Section 17, Dallas County, Iowa
Click here to view and to submit Gravestone Photographs for West Linn Cemetery.
West Linn Cemetery is located one mile east and one mile
north of Linden. The cemetery is well cared for and is fenced.
On 8 Jun 1875, Robert and Maria M. LUMPKIN sold 7.15 acres for $40 to the Cemetery Ass'n of Linn Township of Dallas County, Iowa. The land was deeded for cemetery purposes and is never to be sold or used for anything else. In the 1907 Dallas County History, the biographical sketch of Albert S. STEPHENS states that he, along with others, bought the land for the West Linn Cemetery, which was later sold to the town of Linden and is now known as the Linn Cemetery. Today, the cemetery is under the control of the township, but is still sometimes referred to as the "Linden Cemetery." The original section of the cemetery starts at about Row 14 of the South Section. There are graves in West Linn Cemetery prior to June of 1875. Prior to this date, it is presumed that the graveyard was private. At a later time, the date undetermined, about three more acres was added to the west edge of the cemetery. Today the cemetery is about 10 acres in size.
Old area families that have numerous burials at West Linn Cemetery include BORST, BURNHAM, DUNBAR, GILMORE, HODSON, HOLLOWAY, KELTNER, KNAPP, MOORMAN, MOSIER, THORNBURG, TURNER, WHITE, and WRIGHT.
Provided by Velma Renfrow, circa 1970s.
West Linn Cemetery Index
Dallas County Cemeteries *** Dallas Home Page