From the 'History of Clayton County, 1882'; Chapter XXII ..........
St. Mary's Catholic Church. In the spring of 1878 Father John Hacket was appointed by Rt. Rev. Bishop Hennessey, of Dubuque, to organize a congregation and build a church in the town of Strawberry Point, for the Catholics of the locality. They had been accustomed previously to attend mass at Cox Creek church, about five miles north of the point. The church was completed in 1879. It is a frame building, 30 x 60, and is well located on West Mission street. A parochial residence, adjacent to the church, was purchased in 1880. But few members of the congregration live in Strawberry Point; the majority live west and southwest. The Catholics of the town helped most liberally, however, in building both the church and the parsonage. The church was dedicated Sunday, May 23, 1880. Rev. Father Quigley, of Elkader, officiated, assisted by Father Coyle, of Elkport. Rev. Dr. Dailey of Richardsville, Dubuque County, preached the dedication sermon. Father Hacket was removed by the Bishop to Clermont, in the summer of 1881. He is a young priest of great promise, and is now conducting the building of a $10,000 church at Clermont. He was succeeded by Father Rowe*, of Dubuque, who now has charge of this mission, together with those of Cox Creek and Greeley. Mass is celebrated every third Sunday at 10:30 A. M. Sunday-school services are held immediately after mass.
*Father Thomas Rowe biography & obituary
The Alter Society of St. Mary's church met last Thursday and elected the following officers for the ensuing year:
President - Mrs. R. Laity
Vice-President - Mrs. C. O. Hebron
Treasurer - Miss Eunice Byrnes
Secretary - Mrs. J. P. Hurley
~Elkader Register, Thur., 12 Jan. 1922. Strawberry Point column
to Church Index
Return to Clayton County Index