IAGenWeb Project - Clayton co.


History of Clayton County, Iowa
1882
Chapter XXXI

Jefferson Township

Guttenberg


Jefferson Township
(page 851-853)

Jefferson Township is nearly identical with congressional township 92 north, range 3 west, but it also includes parts of township 93 north, ranges 2 and 3 west. It includes in all forty-two whole sections and nine fractional ones. It is bounded on the north by Garnavillo and Clayton Townships, on the east by the Mississippi, on the south by Millville and Mallory Townships, on the west by Garnavillo and Volga Townships. It contains a much rough country, and at the same its soil is much of it under high cultivation. The population of the township in 1,977, mostly German, 1,076 of whom are in the town of Guttenberg.

The township of Jefferson was laid out by order of the county commissioners in 1847, and was then township number 6. It was not until 1847 that the county was divided into townships, and it was only done then in order that the county might become entitled to its share of the school fund. Jefferson is therefore one of the oldest townships of Clayton County.

EARLY RECORD

The first record in the township minute book is dated April 21, 1848, the records previous to that date being lost. The Trustees in that year were Christian Weiss, F. William Helmich and Diedrich Stahl; Clerk, E.B. Cornish. The first order in the record is one dividing the township into five road districts. The following year E.H. Hiett was elected Clerk, and we find from the record of April 12, 1850, that he was allowed the sum of $10.00 for stationery and a year's services as Clerk. The board was evidently disposed to economize this year, for Mr. Cornish had been allowed $12.00 the previous year. Henry Hunteman, Road Supervisor, was allowed $3.00 over and above his road tax.

TOWNSHIP CLERKS

Hiett was succeeded as Clerk by E.B. Cornish again. He served one year and in the spring of 1852 Ebenezer Wood was elected to the office. He served three years and was followed by A. Delger. In 1856 J.B. Lahr was elected, but he moved away, and the board appointed in his place Charles Blumenstengel. He served until April 13, 1859, when he resigned and was followed by Hermann Ihm. In 1860 Stephen Holstein was elected to the office, and served four years. Then the office was held by Henry Kellner two years. In 1866 he was succeeded by Adolph Papin afterward editor of the Herald, at Elkader. He resigned the following spring, and was succeeded by Louis Reiss. In February, 1868, he was followed by Hermann Ihm, who assumed his duties on the 15th, and kept the office till 1874. In that year James Schroeder, the present incumbent, was elected. He has held the office continuously ever since. The present Trustees are J. Henry Kann, Gustav Dittner and B. Merz.

SCHOOLS

There are eight school sub-districts in Jefferson Township, and the independent district of Guttenberg. There is one school- house in each of these sub-districts, and two in No. 8. The total valuation of the school-houses is about $4,000. There are now employed two male teachers, at salaries of $30 and $35, and seven female teachers, at an average salary of $33. The number of children of school age is 500, of whom 201 attend the public schools. This small percentage of attendance is due to the existence of the Catholic and Lutheran schools.

The officers of the first Board of Directors of the school district, elected in May, 1858, were: Eliphalet Price, President; Jonathan Kauffman, Vice-President; James Schroeder, Secretary; Ebenezer Wood, Treasurer. The Directors were: No. 1, John Andregg; No. 2, M. Esser; No. 3, F. Hineck; No. 4, Joseph Wehrcamp; No. 5, C.P. Goodrich; No. 6, H.H. Smith; No. 7, William Overbeck; No. 8, Conrad Mueller. The present board consists of the following Directors: No. 1, August Thoman; No. 2, FrankKipper; No. 3, Hermann Walke; No. 4, C. Lindekuegel; No. 5, Henry Schorg; No. 6, Fred Kann; No. 7, Fred Krieger; No. 8, Henry Gruenwaldt (President.)

The German language is taught in all the schools of the township.

MILLS

There are three mills in the township, including Guttenberg. The oldest of these is "Pelzer's Mill," located on Miner's Creek, a short distance below Guttenberg. It was built in 1849, by Pelzer Bros., who operated the mill for about twelve years. B.H. Pelzer then sold his interest to his brother, G.H. Pelzer. The following year the mill again changed hands, and B.H. Pelzer became sole proprietor. The present proprietors are: Pelzer & Floder. The building is twenty-six by forty-six feet, three stories high, and has two run of stone. It is located on Miner's Creek, within the village limits. This mill is one of the oldest in Clayton County. The Pelzer Brothers came to this country from Germany in 1840, and came from Cincinnati, O., to Clayton County in the spring of 1849.

The Guttenberg Flouring Mill of Fleck, Bliedung & Company was built in 1854, by Fleck Brothers. It was originally forty by sixty feet, in size, and contained four run of stone. It had a capacity of 200 barrels per day of twenty-four hours. In 1863 an addition was built, to be used as a store-house. This addition is sixty by sixty, and, like the original building, is built of limestone. The capacity of this store-room is 35,000 bushels. The firm do entirely merchant work, exchanging flour for grain. They make about 4,000 barrels per annum. The mill is run by steam-power, the capacity of the engine being eighty horse-power.

The Model Mill was built in 1867, by G.F. Wiest, the present owner. It is on section 36, on Buck Creek, which affords the power by which the mill is operated. The building is frame with a stone basement. The capacity is eighty bushels per twenty-four hours.

~~~

Guttenberg
(page 853-863)

This village was so named in honor of Gutenberg, the inventor of the art of printing. The originally proper spelling of the name of the village was, like that of the printer, with one "t," but custom gives it two, and it is now legally spelled with two "t's."

The first settlement made on the site of Guttenberg was very early in the history of the county, and the place was called Prairie la Porte. Prairie la Porte was laid off on the northeast fractional quarter of section 17, township 92 north, range 2 west, by C.L. Edson, surveyor on land purchased by the County of Clayton, and the survey was entered for record Dec. 4, 1839. Prairie la Porte was the first county seat of Clayton, and Guttenberg afterward was for a short time the capital of the county. A full account of the county seat contest is given in a special chapter of this work.

Guttenberg proper did not at first include the village of Prairie la Porte. The Western Settlement Society, of Cincinnati, purchased about 300 acres north of Prairie la Porte, and 160 acres south of it. This land was purchased from the Government, the northern portion through Owen and McClellan, and the southern tract through Christian Weis and John Carr. After the county seat was removed to Jacksonville (now Garnavillo), the county sold the 40 acres of land embraced in Prairie la Porte to the society. Guttenberg was thus situated on a tract of land three miles long, on parts of sections 5,6,7,8,17,18 and 20. It was surveyed in June, 1847, by John M. Gay, County Surveyor. The whole village is on a very level tract, on the Mississippi "bottoms," and the high bluffs rise abruptly just west of the village. Five roads lead from the village to the country back of it.

It was originally the intention of the Western Settlement Society to make Guttenberg purely a German town, and while this was at first the case, several Americans and settlers of other nationalities have since come in. It used to be related in jest that there was "but one American in Guttenberg, and he was an Irishman!" This exception was no other than William Sullivan, who is still an honored citizen and merchant of the village.

FIRST THINGS

The first settlers of Guttenberg proper were five families, sent out by the society, who arrived March 8, 1845. The heads of these five families were: B.H. Overbeck, John Ehrhard, Henry Telgemeier, Charles Nieman, and Chas. Krepahne. Of these Mr. Overbeck and wife, Mr. Ehrhard and wife, and the wife of Mr. Telgemeier now living, all in Guttenberg, and the others are now dead.

The first buildings were the two in Prairie la Porte, small frame buildings, of which one was used as a court-house and the other as a jury room. This last rested on long sills, which extended at each side of the building for some distance, and, when convenience required that the house be moved, as it did occasionally, all that was necessary was to attach ox teams and draw it wherever desired. At the time the first settlers came to Guttenberg there was one other building in Prairie la Porte, used as a dwelling and store, and this relic of early times is still standing. Messrs. Overbeck and Telgemeier built the first house in Guttenberg proper, and the families of both these men occupied this house for several years.

The first store in the village was opened by a Mr. Mueller, of Cincinnati. The first blacksmith was Mr. Campbell. The first wagon-maker was Henry Schutte. The first shoemaker was H. Hundeman.

The first hotel was built by one Gilmore, and was called the City Hotel. There are now two hotels--the Central and the Jefferson-- and several boarding houses, where the traveling public are accommodated.

GROWTH

Considerable improvement was made in Guttenberg during the first few years after it was surveyed, but after that, for a while, the growth was very slow, partly on account of the financial troubles, in which our nation was then involved. At the time Guttenberg was incorporated, in 1851, the population did not exceed 250 or 300. The principal object in having the village incorporated was to enable the authorities to impose a tax on real estate, and thus make the large number of non-resident property holders bear their proportion of the expenses in the necessary improvement of the place.

Since the incorporation, the progress of Guttenberg has been steady. To show it growth previous to 1865, the following statement is given of the number of business houses in that place in that year: Groceries, two; clothing, two; hardware, two; drugs, two; millinery and fancy goods, three; blacksmith shops, four; harness shops, three; wagon and carriage shops, two; gun shop, one; furniture, three; hotels, four; breweries, five; warehouses, several; flouring-mills, two; saw-mill, one, and the usual number of mechanical shops.

The charter incorporating Guttenberg was given Feb. 5, 1851. The officers provided for were: mayor, recorder, marshal, assessor, treasurer and five councilmen. The first Mayor was Christian Weis; the Recorder was Willis Drummond; Marshal, B. Cornish; Assessor, Nelson Goodenough; Trustees--B.H. Overbeck, Henry Hunteman, B. Border, John Dubbels and William Sullivan. The first regular election of officers was held April 12, 1851. The officers elected each year from that time till now are as follows:

1851--Mayor, C. Wise; Recorder, Willis Drummond; Trustees, H. Overbeck, H. Hunteman, J. Dubbels, Wm. Sullivan and B. Border.

1852--Mayor, Loftus Gray; Recorder, E.H. Hiett; Council, same.

1853--Mayor, John P. Kriebs; Recorder, E.H. Hiett; Council, same.

1854--Mayor, B.H. Overbeck; Recorder, Maurice Fleck and J. Nicklaus; Trustees, Jacob Horsch, H. Hunteman, Fred Bosecker, John Schmees, Moses Crawford; Marshal, John Walter.

1855--Mayor, Jacob Horsch; Recorder, D.P. Grinter; Trustees, Fred Schneider, Charles Nieman, G.H. Pelzer, Wm. Sullivan, Henry Schutte; Marshal, J. Walter.

1856--Mayor, Moses Crawford; Recorder, D.P. Grinter, Trustees, B.H. Floder, Charles Nieman, H. Thaman, J.B. Lahr, Wm.Sullivan; Marshal, J. Walter.

1857--Mayor, G.F. Wiest; Recorder, D.P. Grinter; Trustees, J.B. Lahr, Jacob Nicklaus, Conrad Scherling, Louis Wehrner, Charles Nieman; Assessor, J.B. Kriebs; Marshal, John McBride; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer.

1858--Mayor, G.F. Wiest; Recorder, D.P. Grinter; Trustees, Louis Wehrner, C. Nieman, H. Eckert, B.H. Floder, B.H. Pelzer; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer; Assessor, Jacob Nicklaus.

1859--Mayor, A. Hotinger; Recorder, D.P. Grinter; Trustees, Charles Nieman, H. Eveslage, B.H. Floder, H. Eckert, Wm. Sullivan; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer; Assessor, C. Falkenhainer.

1860--Mayor, D.H. Eveslage; Recorder, C.F. Lanprechk; Trustees, B.H. Floder, C.Nieman, A. Kratzer, A. Goetz, C.H. Eckert; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer; Assessor, Clemens Schwaller.

1861--Mayor, A. Hotinger; Recorder, C.F. Lanprecht; Trustees, A. Goetz, B.H. Floeder, H. Gratzer, Henry Hunterman, Conrad Schesling; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer; Assessor, Charles Alers.

1862--Mayor, B.H. Pelzer; Recorder, C.F. Class; Trustees, H. Eckert, Hermann Brusshoff, L.Heine, F. Luneman, A. Goetz; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer; Assessor, George A. Poetz.

1863--Mayor, B.H. Pelzer; Recorder, A. Papin; Trustees, George Daum, John Reinhart, Conrad Scherling, Henry Eckert, A. Wimmer; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, George Falkenhainer; Assessor, Clemens Schwaller.

1864--Mayor, B.H. Pelzer; Recorder, Adolph Papin; Trustees, J.P. Tiecke, John Reinhart, Conrad Sherling, L. Heine, A. Gratzer; Marshal, Stephen Holstein; Treasurer, John Friedlein; Assessor Clemens Schwaller.

1865--Mayor, L. Heine; Recorder, A. Papin; Trustees, A. Gratzer, J.P. Tiecke, H. Hunteman, John Rinehart, Wm. Redwich; Marshal, Gustav Bentel; Treasurer, John Friedlein; Assessor, Clemens Schwaller.

1866--Mayor, B.H. Pelzer; Recorder, H. Kellner; Trustees, John Rinehart, Fred Luneman, Charles Troester, Louis Reiss, H. Ihm, Philip Schneider; Marshal, J. Bentle; Treasurer, L. Heine; Assessor, Clemens Schwaller.

1867--Mayor, B.H. Pelzer; Recorder, Louis Reiss; Trustees, L. Heine, John Luther, Henry Hunterman, F. Luneman, C.H. Eckert; Marshal, Gustav Bentel; Treasurer, Charles Falkenhainer; Assessor, Charles Floete.

1868--Mayor, B.H. Pelzer; Recorder, Philip Redeman; Trustees, John Luther, August Saffelder, Clemens Kappen, H. Prior, John Pohlman; Marshal, Herman Fraser; Treasurer, Charles Falkenhainer; Assessor, H. Hunterman.

1869--Mayor, Herman Ihm; Recorder, P. Redeman; Trustees, Henry Eckert, William Sullivan, Frank Luneman, B.H. Pelzer, J.B. Tiecke; Marshal, H.H. Fraser; Treasurer, Charles Falkenhainer; Assessor, Charles Floete.

1870--Mayor, Charles Floete; Recorder, Jacob Luther; Trustees, A. Saffelder, G.F. Wiest, John Luther, Wm. Goetz, Emil Block; Marshal, H.H. Fraser; Treasurer, A. Goetz; Assessor, Clemens Schwaller.

1871--Mayor, Charles Floete; Recorder, Jacob Luther; Trustees, John Luther, Wm. Goetz, Joseph Hune, G.F. Wiest, August Saffelder; Marshal, H.H. Fraser; Treasurer, C. Kappan; Assessor, G.H. Jacobs.

1872--Mayor, Charles Floete; Recorder, Jacob Luther; Trustees, G.F. Wiest, August Saffelder, Joseph Hune, Wm. Goetz, J.B. Tiecke; Marshal, H.H. Fraser; Treasurer, Henry Niemeyer; Assessor, G.H. Jacobs.

1873--Mayor, Charles Floete; Recorder, G.F. Wiest; Trustees, J.B. Tiecke, John Luther, G.H. Rosen, August Saffelder, Clemens Kappen; Marshal, John Troester; Treasurer, Philip Schneider; Assessor, George Poetz.

1874--Mayor, Charles Floete; Recorder, G.F. Wiest; Trustees, John Luther, August Saffelder, G.H. Rosen; J.B. Tiecke, Clemens Kappen; Marshal, John Troester; Treasurer, Philip Schneider; Assessor, George Poetz.

1875--Mayor, Charles Floete; Recorder, G.F. Wiest; Trustees, J.B. Tiecke, August Saffelder, G.H. Rosen, John Luther, Clemens Kappan; Marshal, John Troester; Treasurer, Philip Schneider; Assessor, George Poetz.

1876--Mayor, Conrad Scherling; Recorder, Joseph Hune; Trustees, B. Merz, Lucas Schutte, Henry Lake, Andrew Eberhardt, F. Bosecker; Marshal, John Troester; Treasurer, Charles Falkenhainer; Assessor, Henry Jacobs.

1877--Mayor, Conrad Scherling; Recorder, Joseph Hune; Trustees, B. Merz, Andrew Eberhardt, Lucas Schutte, Fred Bosecker, Jacob Falkenhainer; Marshal, Emil Block; Treasurer, C. Falkenhainer; Assessor, G.H. Jacobs.

1878--Mayor, Conrad Scherling; Recorder, Frank Heidman; Trustees, B. Merz, John Luther, Edward Goetz, Joseph Zimmerman, William Sullivan; Marshal, Emil Block; Treasurer, Herman Ihm; Assessor, John Troester.

1879--Mayor, Henry Eckert; Recorder, John Ran; Trustees, August Saffelder, G.F. Wiest, J.P. Tiecke, Clemens Kappen, Charles Falkenhainer; Marshal, John Dubbels; Treasurer, Herman Ihm; Assessor, John Troester.

1880--Mayor, Henry Eckert; Recorder, Adolph Class; Trustees, G.F. Wiest; Clemens Kappen, August Saffelder, August Jungk, Henry Kampmeyer; Marshal, John Dubbels; Treasurer Alexander Sullivan; Assessor, John Troester.

1881--Mayor, John Wolter; Recorder, Adolph Class; Trustees, B.H. Kuhl, Charles Junker, B.H. Pelzer, Andreas Pink, John Gender; Marshal, Herman Schultz; Treasurer, Alexander Sullivan; Assessor, Emil Block.

1882--Mayor, G.H. Niemeyer; Recorder, Adolph Class; Trustees, B.H. Pelzer, Andreas Pink, John Ruthop, Clemens Kappen, Fred Ruscaup; Marshal, Herman Schultz; Treasurer, Joseph Hune; Assessor, Emil Block.

SCHOOLS

Guttenberg was made an independent school district early in 1858, and the board met for the first time May 27. The Secretary of the first board was D.H. Eveslage. The school-house had been built at that time a number of years, and the same building was used until 1880, when the present fine structure was erected, at a cost of $8,110. There were other extra expenses which made the total bill about $9,000. The bell, costing about $200, was furnished by the town. It is a fine bell, of good tone, weighing 647 pounds. The town clock in the tower of the school-house was put up at a cost of $350, which was paid for by private subscription. It is a very fine clock, and keeps very accurate time. The Board of Directors when this school-house was erected consisted of Herman Ihm (President), John Luther, William Goetz, Henry Eckert, Jacob Falkenhainer and James Schroeder. The Secretary was John Troester, and the Treasurer was August Saffelder. There was much opposition to the building of this school-house, but the vote of bonds for $5,000 was made by seventy-four majority. There was also a difference of opinion as to the location of the building, but it was settled by a vote of five to one of the board to erect it on its present site near the river. The building contains two stories, and a tower. In the first story are four rooms, all in use as school-rooms. In the second story are three rooms, one of them a large double room, which will comfortably seat 150 persons. These rooms are unoccupied at present. The Principal of the school is G.H. Smart, who has been here nine years. He was preceded by his father, H.G. Smart. The other teachers at present are: J.H. Zimmerman (teacher of German), Anna Anderson and Matilda L. Krakow.

POSTOFFICE

The postoffice of Guttenberg was established in a very early day, the exact date not being known. It was named as a money-order office July 1, 1869, and the first order was issued July 14. It was made an international money-order office April 1, 1880, and the first order was issued the same day. The first domestic order paid was presented Sept. 1, 1869. During the year ending March 31, 1882, 1,352 domestic money-orders were issued. The Postmaster is James Schroeder.

CHURCHES

There are two churches in Guttenberg, belonging to the Catholic and the Lutheran denominations. The Lutheran church was organized in 1842. The pastors since then have been: Revs. Miller, Serling, Huschman, Beckman, Thuener and Besel. The present Deacons of the church are: Messrs. Gevder, Gruenwald and Bierbaum. The membership is 250. The Sunday-school was organized in 1876.

PROFESSIONS

There are no regularly admitted lawyers residing in Guttenberg. The profession of medicine is represented by Dr. Wm. Hoffbaner who came in 1854; Dr. W.L. Duffin, who came in 1874, and Dr. Charles Duffin, who came in the spring of 1882 from Garnavillo. The two last named are in partnership.

SOCIETIES

The Guttenberg Turn-Verein was organized April 28, 1856. The charter members were G.F. Wiest, Jacob Nichlaus, L. Bruckman, Eloez Bartal, Henrich Krippahne, Gust. Ed. Class, Michael Klein, P. Lalep, W. Christinson, P. H. Frese, J.B. Lahr, Hermann Ihm, C. Pregnetz, A. Hothinger, B. Aulwes, Gust Bentel, Edward Bentel, Fried. Aulwes, Matt. Weiner, Franzis Rodmann, D.E. Meyer, Chas. H. Falkenhainer. The society first met in the house of Mr. Uhl, then in various private houses. Mr. Nicklaus gave two lots for the gymnasium, and the society immediately bought and put up apparatus. During the first year the membership averaged about thirty. The organization was maintained for several years with fair success, but during the war eight or ten members enlisted in the army, and the society disbanded for a while. Soon after the war the Turn-Verein was reorganized, holding its first meeting Jan. 3. At this time twenty members were received. Officers were elected as follows: First Sprecher, J.H. Jacobs; Second Sprecher, Albert Werner; First Schriftwart, Adolph Class; Second Schriftwart, Herman Fraser; Kassenwart, William Goetz; Vorsitzer, John Luther, First Turnwart, Peter Walter; Second Turnwart, Jacob Luther. The society has been very prosperous ever since, it being in the best condition about 1878. The present membership is about thirty-five. The present officers are as follows: First Sprecher, John Keller; Second Sprecher, John Soldan; First Schriftwart, Adolph Class; Second Schriftwart, Richard Werner; First Turnwart, Emil Horsch; Second Turnwart, John Eckert; Kassenwart, Hermann Ihm; Bibliothekar, Robert Horsch. The Turn-Verein meets regularly the first Wednesday in each month. They have a singing school every Monday evening, under J. Zimmerman. Tuesdays and Fridays they have Turnschule, for gymnastic exercises. Nov. 27, 1872, they bought their hall of Hummel & Brandt, for $3,000, refitting it at a cost of $1,000. The hall is vary commodious, being about 54x54 in the main hall. Besides the main hall there is a large stage, with dressing-room, wardrobe, and a quantity of scenery. They have also a bar room.

Prairie La Porte Lodge, No. 147, A.F.& A.M., was organized in 1859. The charter was received June 8, 1860. The first officers were as follows: C.P. Goodrich, W.M.; John McBude, S.W.; Jonathan Kauffman, J.W.; Willard Knight, Treasurer; J.H. Bowman Secretary; John Sixby, S.D.; Fred. Eisfelder, J.D.; Charles Falkenhainer, Tyler. The present membership is twenty-three, and the present officers are: G.H. Smart, W.M.; P.S. Stranahan, S.W.; Joseph Gerich, J.W.; B. Merz, Treasurer; W. Goetz, Secretary. The lodge meets once a month, the Thursday on or before the full moon.

Guttenberg Lodge, No. 126, I.O.O.F., was organized June 20, 1859. The charter members were Adam Goetz, Henry Lake, Henry Hunteman, Leonhard Heine, D.E. Meyer, W. Woodward and Henry Bultmann. Henry Lake was the first N.G.; Henry Hunteman the first V.G.; Adam Goetz the first Treasurer, and Leonhard Heine the first Secretary. The lodge was organized in the house of John Friedlein. The lodge met in several different places for some time, and Aug. 16, 1875, they bought the old High-School building, lots 3 and 4, block 15, Prairie La Porte for $525. This building was entirely refitted, at an expense of about $200, and now makes a neat, commodious and comfortable hall for meeting. On the front of the building, above the door, are the letters "I.O.O.F." in large raised gilt letters on a blue background. The Masons, United Workmen and the I.O.O.F. Encampment also meet in this hall, paying rent to the Odd Fellows. Besides the seven charter members, 112 have since been initiated, and a number have joined by cards. The present membership is fifty-six. The lodge is prosperous financially and otherwise. The office of Noble Grand has been held by about twenty brothers, of whom the following are living: Adam Goetz, H. Lake, L. Heine, C. Scherling James Schroeder, P.H. Overbeck, P. Boder, John Rheinhardt, John Pohlman, A. Frey, C. Eckert, A. Zachman, A. Eberhardt, P. Moetz, H. Schultz, Joseph Gerich, E. Frey, H. Mueder. The present officers are: A. Class, N.G.; G.F. Wiest, V.G.; Joseph Gerich S.; C.H. Eckert Treasurer. The lodge meets every Saturday evening.

Germania Encampment, No. 105, I.O.O.F., was organized July 2, 1881, at Odd Fellows hall. The instituting officer was Charles G. Kretschmer, P.C.G.P., of Iowa. The charter members were seven in number, as follows. James Schroeder, B.H. Overbeck, B. Merz, Conrad Scherling, Joseph Gerig, Henry Scroeder and Henry Aulwes. The election of officers at this meeting resulted for James Schroeder, C.P.; B.H. Overbeck, H.P.; B. Merz, S.W.; Joseph Gerig, J.W.; C. Scherling, Scribe; Henry Schroeder, Treasurer. Six companions have been initiated since, and the present membership is thirteen. The Encampment meets in Odd Fellows hall the first and third Wednesday of each month. It is in good condition financially. The proceedings are carried on in German.

Jefferson Lodge, No. 129, A.O.U.W., was organized and incorporated Aug. 11, 1877, with thirty charter members, and the following officers. Jas. Schroeder, P.M.W.; George H. Smart, M.W.; William Goetz, Foreman; P.S. Stranahan, Overseer; L.E. Rice, Recorder; Julius F. Kenkel, Financier; B. Merz, Receiver; John Luther, Guide; Em. Frey, I.W.; A. Jungk, O.W.; James Schroeder, August Saffelder and Fred Cook, Trustees. The lodge meets every Monday evening at Odd Fellows hall. It is in a flourishing condition in every way.

The Guttenberg Social Mutual Aid Society was organized Aug. 1, 1853, with thirty-seven members. The first President was August Wimmer; Secretary, William Tiede; Treasurer, F.W. Greve. The object of the society was to aid the members in time of sickness. The organization was most active form 1858 to 1862, and now has a membership of about eighteen. The establishment of lodges of the old fraternities took many of the members out of this society, which in its day has paid out a great deal of money in sick benefits. The society gives three dollars per week to each member who is kept from his employment by illness. The officers are now as follows: President, Henry C. Eckert; Secretary, Clemenz Kappen; Treasurer, C. Scherling. The society meets the first Thursday in each month.

~~~


This chapter concludes with biographical sketches.

 

transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co., 1882. Reproduced by the sponsorship of the Monona Historical Society, Monona, Iowa, reproduction Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphics, Inc., 1975; page 851-863

 

Return to Table of Contents

Return to Clayton County Index