This township, 93 north, range 6 west,
is the middle one of the western tier of townships of
Clayton County. It is a full-sized township,
well-watered, and contains good soil, but he surface
of the country is hilly. The Volga flows through the
southwestern corner of the township, and the Turkey
touches the northeastern corner, while Pine Creek,
Wolf Creek and other small streams drain the country.
The township was one of the last in the county to be
settled up. Its population is about 850.
Of the early settlers,
Messrs. Mulenix, Holbrook, Robbins, Moats, Pool, Dart
and Harlow Barnum came in 1852; Levi Doty, Frederick
Orr, High McKeller and Mike Callaghan came in 1853.
The first birth in the
township was John Robbins, a son of Francis Robbins.
The first marriage was that of Frederic Orr to Ellen
Callaghan, in 1855. The first death was that of a
child of John Pool, in 1854.
The first election was held
at Francis Robbins' house, in the spring of 1854,
soon after the organization of the township. John
Pool and David Moats were chosen Justices of the
Peace; Francis Robbins and Abraham Pool were elected
Township Trustees, and Levi Doty was elected
The present officers are:
Township Clerk, Thomas Donoland: Trustees, William
West, Martin Klingman and Jerry Feany; Justices of
the Peace, William West and Mathew Ewing; Assessor,
James Foran; Constables, Thomas Boland and James
The first school-house in
the township was built on the Nolan farm, on section
15, now owned by Mrs. Doty; and one was built about
the same time on section 8. These were both built in
1854. There are at present nine school-houses in the
township, valued at $3,150. There are no independent
The first sermon was
preached in the house of Francis Robbins, in the fall
of 1853, by John Brown, of the United Brethren
denomination, who came from Delaware County at the
invitation of Mr. Doty. He held meetings every two
weeks for two years. After him came William
Allbright, a Methodist Episcopal minister. Then came
Rev. Mr. Gifford, of the Free-Will Baptist
persuasion. He died in Pony Hollow, in the summer of
1880. There is no church in the township, but
services are held in the school-house, district No.
3, section 8, alternately, by ministers of the United
Brethren and Evangelic Congregation.
The Congregationalists hold
meetings once every four weeks at the school-house,
in district 9, section 29.