The village of Farmersburg
was surveyed in March, 1858, by Norman Hamilton. It
is situated on the southwest corner of section 14,
the southeast corner of section 15, and the northwest
corner of section 23. The proprietors were Silas T.
Woodward, Joshua D. Smith, Allen M. Cortis and
The first building erected
on the site of the village, was built in 1848 by Alva
Hazen, and was built of logs. It was soon after
converted into a school-house, and used as such for
sometime for the surrounding community. The next
building was erected by Joseph Shaft, on the corner
of section 22, and was afterward fitted up by A.M.
Cortis for a residence. The next house was built in
1852 by Silas T. Woodward, one of the early pioneers
of Farmersburg, and now a resident of Elkader. He
built it for a store, and purchased a few dollars
worth of goods at Prairie du Chien; but he never
opened store, and used his building as a
school-house, while he performed the duties of
teacher. In 1853, P.R. Moore brought from Galena the
first goods of any note, purchased the building of
Mr. Woodward, and opened the first store in the
The first blacksmiths were
Messrs. Peter & Slaughter. W. W. Goodwin came
soon after. He has followed his trade for twenty-six
years. Mr. Alger was the first shoemaker. He is now
A saw-mill was built in
1855, by William Harrar. This burned down, and was
rebuilt by Calvin Miller. It is now used as a
store-house and stable.
The school is graded into
two departments. It was begun twenty-six years ago.
The teachers are Lucy Kingsley and Inez Woodward. The
first sermon in the village was preached by a Rev.
The village was originally
named Farmersburg, and in 1854, when the postoffice
was located there, the name of National was selected
for the Postoffice. The first Postmaster was Isaac
Stoddard. He was succeeded by N. Slaughter in 1856,
the present incumbent. The amount of business done
annually is about $100.
There is here a lodge of
A.F. & A.M., organized in 1868 by T.D. White,
W.A. Knight, A.M. Peters, N. Slaughter and J. H.
Francis. Present officers are: John Everall, W.M.;
E.C. White, S.W.; James T. Adams, J.W.; A.C. Buck,
Treasurer; N. Slaughter, Secretary. There are at
present twenty-eight members. The lodge is in a
flourishing condition, financially and otherwise.
The Congregational Church
was organized in a log house, in September, 1853.
Services had been held as early as 1844, by Rev.
James J. Hill. Richard Everall and Holsey W. Wakeman,
were the first Deacons. Rev. Littlefield was the
second pastor. Next came Rev. D.B.Davidson, who was
succeeded by Rev. Giles M. Porter. In 1860 Rev. Mr.
Upton came to the pulpit, and after him came Rev.
M.M.Wakeman. During his pastorate steps were taken to
build a church. In 1873 Rev. Beriah King was chosen
to the pastorate, and he remained here till his death
in January, 1875. After that came Rev. H.M. Barlett,
of the Chicago Theological School. He was succeeded
by Rev. E.C. Downs, and he by Rev. Nelson Clark. He
died in 1880, and Rev. Joel Beattie then came to the
pulpit. The church was built in 1879, at a cost of
$2,114. The lot cost $100, and the bell $172.43. The
bills for carpets, organ, etc., made the total cost
$2,672.26. The first Trustees were : Edwin Sherman,
W. W. Goodwin and Washington Hudson. The present
Trustees are Edwin Sherman, John Dice and William
Reed. The present membership is about twenty. The
Sunday-school was organized in 1877, Rev. E.C.Downs
being the first Superintendent. The present
Superintendent is H.M.Bailey. The average attendance
The Methodist Episcopal
Church was organized in 1847, by Rev. E. Howard. The
first members were Cyrus A. Buch and wife, Nathaniel
Wood and wife, W.C. Linton and wife, and Sidney Wood
and wife. The first Trustees were W.C.Linton, Sidney
and Nathaniel Wood. The first services were held in
the log school-house in Pioneer District. Among the
various pastors, which this church has had were E.
Howard, S.H. Greenup, J. L. Kelly, A. Bishop (in
whose pastorate the building of the church was
commenced), J.R. Cameron, William Cummings, John Webb
and H.H.Hammond (under whose lead the church was
refitted at a cost of $1,000). William Loose
succeeded Mr. Hammond, and after him came Nathaniel
Jones, the present pastor. There have been several
revivial seasons of great success. The house of
worship was erected in 1855. It is thirty by forty
feet, and cost $1,000. The present officers of the
church are : N.H. Collar, D.L. Renshaw, S.H. Buck,
William and Joseph Neil, William Massey and W. C.
Linton. The present membership is about thirty-five.
The Sunday-school was started soon after the
organization of the church. N. Wood was the first
Superintendent. The Superintendent at the present
time is L.M. Hollingsworth. The average attendance is
Second Methodist Episcopal
Church was organized May 26, 1866, and the first
members of the society were William Neil, John H.
Bellis, Charles Alery, P.M. White, G.B. Wakeman and
Willaim Massey. The articles of incorporation were
witnessed by J.E. Corlett, Justice of the Peace. The
Trustees are: William Neil, William Massey, J.E.
Corlett, Charles Alery, John H. Bellis, J.J. Neil and
Elisha Benson. The first services were held in the
school-house near by in 1852. Rev. Bishop preached
the first sermon. Rev. N. Jones is the present
pastor. The erection of the church was begun in 1866.
It is thirty-two by fifty-six feet, and cost $2,500.
It was completed and dedicated in 1870. The present
membership is twenty. Etta Neil is Superintendent of
the Sunday-school, which contains thirty-five