This village was laid out by William H. and D. M.
Stearns in 1853 under the name of Franklin, but as
there was another postoffice by this name in the
State the present name was retained for the
postoffice; this is a thriving village of about 700
inhabitants situated on section 22. The name was
originally applied to that point of timber where
Ozias Clark now lives. About 1854 the name was coaxed
east, to where the cheese factory now stands, and
connected with a postoffice. As early as 1850,
Strawberry Point was known over Northern Illinois and
even farther east. At that time all the land belonged
to the Government, except the present farm of Giles
Ward, which he entered in 1848. The first
wagon-makers and blacksmiths were Baird & Inger.
The first hotel was built in the fall of 1854 by
Mr. W. H. Stearns, and is now known as the Blake
House. The Barnes house was opened in September,
1881, and is now run by Peter Keith.
Alpheus Scott was the first lawyer. The bar is at
present represented by A. R. Cole and B. W. Newberry.
The schools were graded in 1868, with K. W.
Kingsley as Principal. The following have since
served as Principals: M. J. Goodrich, Miss E. J.
Peer, J. F. Thompson, C. P. Clark, Charles Brandon,
A. E. Dean and E. G. Cooley.
The principal interests of Strawberry Point are
centered in the creamery business. The first move
made in this direction was in 167, by Busher &
Grannis. They took the milk from 250 cows the first
year and made cheese. A. O. Kingsley was the next
start in the creamery business in 1870, and he built
the first cheese factory in the State (in Delaware
County). He began with 3,000 pounds of milk a day,
which amount has been increased to 28,000 pounds. At
first it was all made into cheese, but now is made
into butter, all of which is sold East. At the
present time fifteen creameries ship from Strawberry
The village has an excellent school, employing
Strawberry Point Lodge, .No. 130, A. F. & A.
M., was organized in 1858, with thirteen members and
the following officers: Dunton, W. M.; A. Scott, S.
W.; M. O. Barnes, J. W.; D. Bradford, Treas.; A.
Grannis, Sec.; G. W. Gebbard, S. Schofield, J. D.;
Wm. McCarthy, Tyler. The present membership is
forty-two, and the officers are: N. Schofield, W. M.;
S. Chipman, S. W.; W. E. Little, J. W.; T. Dunning,
Treas.; E. H, Hoag, Sec.; J. D. Inger, S. D.; D. P.
Gardner, J. D.: A. Blank, Tyler; W. J. Hicks,
Strawberry Point Lodge, No. 131, A. O. U. W. This
lodge is instituted in 1877. Its charter members were
J. H. Barney, W. E. Little, D. Clough, C. H. Bungay,
D. F. Boynton, Dan. C. Dean, J. F. Weck, J. T.
Snyder, M. A. Hoag, F. Smith, A. D. Eaton and A. O.
Kingsley. Its present officers are: G. W. Wait, P. M.
W.; W. B. Fields, M. W; J. B. Morey, For.; J. C.
Snyder, O.; M. A. Hoag, Rdr.; A. D. Eaton, Tim.; J.
D. Inger, Recor.; E. M. Culbertson, G.; H. R. Eaton,
I. W.; A. T. Little, O. W. Meetings are held Monday
evenings of each week. The present number of members
is fifty-two. There have been two deaths in this
lodge. It is nearly unanimous in favor of the Supreme
The M. E. Church was organized in 1857 by Rev. D.
M. Sterns. The following pastors have served in this
church. Wm. Lease, 1857-'9; T. Olmstead, 1859-'60; J.
W. Waterberry, 1860-'2; Thos. Moore, 1862-'3; S.
Knickerbocker, 1863-'6; J. L. Kelley, 1866-'7; J. F.
Hestwood, 1867-'9; Jacob Hurrell, 1869-'70. M. H.
Smith, 1870-'71; S. N. Van Arsdel, 1871-'2; Edwin E.
Weber, 1872-'3; Wm. Young, 1873-'4; J. F. Hestwood,
1874-'7; J. G. Van Ness, 1877-'9; E. Ketchum,
1879-'80; W. D. Mabry, 1880-'81: T. McKim, 1881,
present pastor. Important revivals were held in 1868
by J. F. Hestwood, in 1874 by Wm. Young, and in 1878
by J. G. Van. Ness. The church edifice was erected in
1865, 36 x 48, at a cost of $2,000. A parsonage was
erected in 1876 at a cost of $800. The Trustees, nine
in number, are at present as follows: John Porter,
Ozias Clark, John Deys, Wm. Coolidge, S. N. Bixby,
Ed. Alderson, W. E. Little, L. M. Blank and Rob't
Carrier. There are seventy-five menbers, and the
congregation numbers 200. The general condition of
the church is encouraging. There is a flourishing
Sunday school, with an enrollment of 105 and average
attendance of ninety-five. Mrs. L. W. Blank is
The Universalist Church, was organized in 1858 by
Rev. P. Smith. The first members were Joseph
Hallowell, Chas. James H. Grannis, Wm. Grannis,
Alexander Blake, P. Blake, Joseph C. Tremain, Chaney
Bemis, E. Dunton. Frederick Adams, Mrs. M. M.
Hallowell, Mrs. Calista Hall, Mrs. Matilda A. Dewey,
Mrs. Eliza P. Grannis and Mrs. M. E. Dunton. J. C.
Tremain and Joseph Hallowell were Deacons; Chaney
Bemis, Treasurer; P. Blake, Clerk. The first services
were held at a log school-house two miles northwest
of Strawberry Point. The pastors have served as
follows: P. Smith, two years; Jay Bishop, five years;
Mr. Wakefied, one year; P. Hathaway, one year, Mr.
Odiorne, two years; and J. W. Hicks, six years. The
church building was rected in 1865. The present
Trustees are M. O. Barnes, C. Bemis and P. Blake;
Treasurer, H. J. Pease; Clerk, P. Blake. Number of
members since organization, sixty; present number
fifty. The church is at present not holding services.
The Regular Baptist Church at Strawberry Point was
organized as a body corporate on the 14th day of
April, 1856, and elected as Trustees E. B. Gardner,
James Sunderland and O. A. Sherwood; clerk, James
Sunderland. Church was organized Jan. 19, 1858. The
constituent members were Thomas King, Alva Bush,
Lyman Howard, Salmon Bush, Albert Bush, Henry Howard,
Charles Blanchard, E. B. Gardner, Augusta M. Bush,
Eliza J. Blanchard, Axif Howard, Sophia Nowell,
Elizabeth Blake, Betsey Knight. Two only of this
number are still members.
Council of Recognition was held Sept. 16, 1856.
Delegates present from West Union, Yankee Settlement,
Delhi and Burrington, now Manchester.
D. M. Root was the first pastor. Since then Geo.
Scott, Alva Bush, James Sunderland, S. Sill, Franklin
Kidder, L. M. Whitney, C. H. Mitchelman, George Peck,
A. F. Sharpwack and M. H. Perry, have beem settled
pastors over this church. The first church edifice
was built by this church, with the help received from
other denominations and friends. It .is 36 x 52 feet
in size and cost about $4,000; it was dedicated in
the fall of 1857. This was the first and only church
built for the first ten or twelve years, and as used
by all denominations, also for political meetings,
shows, theaters, concerts, etc.
There have been several seasons of great revival
interest and many have been added to the church. The
present membership is forty-eight; about 150 have
been members at different times. Many prominent
ministers in the denomination have gone from this
church--Revs. J. E. Clough, J. E. Sunderland, Alva
Bush and others. There is a Sabbath-school in
connection with this church. L. F. Carrier is the
present Superintendent. The church is now gaining
ground. The Trustees are E. B. Gardner, T. F. Corbett
and L. F. Carrier; Clerk and Treasurer, T. F.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized Oct.
1, 1878, Rev. E.G. Barkow. The names of the first
members are: John Brader, George Durst, F. Schug, E.
Schoeppe, George Deindorfer, H. Busse, T. Schmidt, F.
Zeuch, J. Schmidt, S. Moser, P. Brill, F. Haeufler,
H. Marquardt and F. Mueller, with their families. The
first Deacons were John Brader, F. Schmidt, and
George Durst. The first Trustees were Fred. Schug,
George Deindorfer and Jacob Schmidt. The first
services of the denomination were held in Strawberry
Point, in private houses. E. G. Barkow has been the
pastor since Oct. 1, 1878. Their church will be
completed Aug. 1, 1882. It is 32 x50 feet, and the
steeple is eighty-five feet from the ground. The cost
will be about $3,000. The present Deacons are John
Brader, George Durst and E. Donath. The Trustees are
B. Krauss, F. Schug and E. Schoeppe. Twenty-eight
families have joined since the organization of the
society, and the present membership is forty-two
families. The prospects of this growing church are
St. Mary's Catholic Church. In the spring of 1878
Father John Hacket was appointed by Rt. Rev. Bishop
Hennessey, of Dubuque, to organize a congregation and
build a church in the town of Strawberry Point, for
the Catholics of the locality. They had been
accustomed previously to attend mass at Cox Creek
church, about five miles north of the point. The
church was completed in 1879. It is a frame building,
30 x 60, and is well located on West Mission street.
A parochial residence, adjacent to the church, was
purchased in 1880. But few members of the
congregration live in Strawberry Point; the majority
live west and southwest. The Catholics of the town
helped most liberally, however, in building both the
church and the parsonage. The church was dedicated
Sunday, May 23, 1880. Rev. Father Quigley, of
Elkader, officiated, assisted by Father Coyle, of
Elkport. Rev. Dr. Dailey of Richardsville, Dubuque
County, preached the dedication sermon. Father Hacket
was removed by the Bishop to Clermont, in the summer
of 1881. He is a young priest of great promise, and
is now conducting the building of a $10,000 church at
Clermont. He was succeeded by Father Rowe, of
Dubuque, who now has charge of this mission, together
with those of Cox Creek and Greeley. Mass is
celebrated every third Sunday at 10:30 A. M.
Sunday-school services are held immediately after