Home > Cemetery Home
Morrison Cemetery

MORRISON CEMETERY



  According to the Anita Centennial History book, Morrison Cemetery was located about half a mile west of town, southeast of the Anita Sale Barn. Some area residents recall seeing stones in this cemetery many years ago, but do not know if the graves were moved to another place or not. The area is now pasture ground.

The cemetery appears to have been started by Dr. Gershom S. Morrison. Dr. Morrison was the first white settler in the area. He owned a large tract of land and started a stage coach inn in Section 29 or 32 of Grant Township. There was a large grove of timber in the area which was known as Morrison's Grove.

No specific information regarding the exact location or number of burials in this cemetery could be found. The grave of Dr. Morrison, his wife Lura and and a child can be found in Wiota (Jameson) Cemetery.

Sources:  Centennial History Book of Anita, Iowa, Iowa 1875 - 1975, published by the Centennial History Book Committe, pg. 243; Cass County, Iowa, published in 1980 by the Cass County Genealogical Society, pg. 13.
 

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer