in Brighton Township, Section 15
The Brighton or Marne Cemetery is located in the southwest part of section 15 for Brighton Township in Cass County. That is as much information as is listed in the 1884 History on Cass County. It's location is marked with a cross on the 1875 Historical Atlas of the county. Not much is known about the cemetery, other than what is noted in the 1980 History of Cass County. Isolene Hune was buried there in 1865 and G. W. Grouth in 1869. Apparently a Mrs. William Berry died May 16, 1859, and was buried there. Her body was exhumed and later transferred to the Lewis/Oakwood Cemetery. There seems to have been several burials there before the state granted an actual land patent. According to the records at the Cass County Courthouse, the State of Iowa issued a patent on September19, 1888, to Brighton Township for five acres of land in section 16 for cemetery purposes. Since that time two additional acres of land has been added making a total of seven acres. General maintenance is financed through a millare levy administered by the township trustees. Repairs to the cemetery proper and grave sites must be arranged by family members of the deceased.
INDEX OF NAMES & ROW
The cemetery is located at 56766 Dallas Rd & 570 St. The cemetery may be reached by going 2 mi NE of Marne, taking Madison Street out of town. The cemetery was originally walked in 1985 by Marietta Peterson who is now buried there and Berneice Ihrke as a project for the Cass County Genealogy Society. The cemetery is being walked, transcribed, and photographed in 2015 by Carolyn DeLay as an update for the Cass County Genealogical Society.