BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE FIRST SETTLEMENT AND ORGANIZATION OF THE VARIOUS TOWNSHIPS
During the year 1853 five persons came to this township, but they only stayed until the next year, hence they cannot be called settlers.
George Kimball made a claim to 240 acres on Sections 10, 11, 12 and 13 in November, 1853, and settled thereon in 1854. R. D. Titcomb made a claim on Sections 10 and 11, and settled there in 1854. Henry and Hiram Lester and John Franklin came also in 1854, while Matthias Wuest, Mr. Satterlee and Mr. Adkins came in 1855. John Chapin and Robert Jolly came in 1856.
The first religious services were held at the house of John Franklin, Sr., on Section 14, by Rev. Mr. Smith, a Methodist divine, in the fall of 1867.
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran church was the first church built in the township. It was built on Section 31, in April, 1868.
The first school was taught in a log house built for school purposes, on Section 22. Mr. Owen was the teacher of the first school, in the winter of 1858-9.
The first death was a child of John Hall and wife, Oct. 11, 1859.
The first birth was a daughter to Matthias Wuest and wife, on August 25, 1855.
The first marriage ceremony was performed September 22, 1857, the parties being C. C. Cook and Ellen M. White.
The township was organized in 1856. The first election was held at the house of John Hale July 21, 1856. The following were elected: Sidney Booth, clerk; Henry and Hiram Lester and E. B. White, trustees; R. D. Titcomb, justice; John Closson, constable. Twenty-two votes were cast.
The town of Tripoli was named by H. J. Wynhoff in honor of the old town of the same name in Frederika township.
The first house was built by B. Kingsbury; the next by Marvin Trowbridge, the first blacksmith, who commenced business in 1873.
The first wagon shop was that of Otto & Mueller.
The postoffice was moved here from Old Tripoli in 1880, and H. J. Wynhoff was the first postmaster.
Tripoli school district was organized as an independent district in the spring of 1882. The first principal of the school was Professor Moore; the first primary teacher was Miss Effie Cook.
St. Peter's German Evangelical church was built in 1881. The first pastor was Rev. Paul Foerster. The Baptist church was built in 1881, the first minister being Rev. R. Norton.
The first store was started in 1873 by H. J. Wynhoff & Co. In 1875 Mr. Wynhoff took over the whole business, and in June, 1880, G. B. Cook became a partner, and in the same year Christoph Wilharm started a wagon and blacksmith shop south of the railroad track. Aug. Bockhaus built the Tripoli House in the spring of 1880. Otto & Mueller started their wagon and blacksmith shop the same year. M. M. Watkins commenced the sale of lumber in 1880.
Tripoli is now the third town in size in Bremer county. Its business men are enterprising and courteous, always looking after anything that will add to the advantage of its citizens. The business buildings compare favorably with any town of its size elsewhere. The residences are modern, and many of them are equipped with most of the modern improvements.
All lines of business are quite well represented. There is here located a good creamery doing a large business, also a good canning plant. Tripoli has two banks, a weekly newspaper, a water system and an electric light plant, a fine school building and three churches.
It is surrounded by a farming community of progressive people. It is situated on a branch of the C. G. W. railroad, and about one mile from the Wapsipinnicon river.
Last updated 4/9/16
|Return to Pioneer Life Table of Contents||Next|