BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE FIRST SETTLEMENT AND ORGANIZATION OF THE VARIOUS TOWNSHIPS
In the spring of 1854, Isaac Brandt, John Brooks and Mr. Alshouse located on the east side of the Wapsie river. During the summer and fall several other families made settlement, among whom were Isaac Guard, Simeon Peck and his two sons, W. M. and A. S. Peck. William Gibbs and George Watts also came this year.
Among those who settled in 1854 were John Develin, Jacob Glattly, Albert McCumber, John Zimmerman, John Koch, Theodore Link, John Hill, Ira Allen, H. N. Miller, A. D. Allen and W. V. Curtis.
The township was organized on the 10th of February, 1858, and the first election was held at the house of Wm. Peck, in April, 1858. The judges of the election were Elijah Grinnell, Albert McCumber and John Williamson. The clerks were Wm. Peck and John Zimmer- man. The officers elected were W. M. Peck, Albert McCumber, J. J. Williamson, trustees; Lyman J. Curtis, clerk; James H. Yerton and Lyman J. Curtis, justices of the peace; A. S. Peck and W. V. Curtis, constables.
The first white child born in the township was Ida Frances Gibbs, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Gibbs.
The first death was that of Simeon Peck, who died on April 15, 1855, aged 61 years, 6 months and 14 days. He was buried in Grove Hill cemetery, in Franklin township. This was the first burial in this cemetery.
The first couple married in the township was V. B. Grinnell to Amanda Harwood, in November, 1858.
The first school taught in the township was in the summer of 1858, in a log house owned by John Brook. Maggie Harwood was the teacher. The first school house was built on Section 28, by L. J. Curtis. The second was built on Section 20.
The first religious services were held in the school house on Section 28. They were conducted by Elder Reardon, a Baptist minister.
In 1866 Robert H. Davis opened a small store on Section 15. He remained in business about two years. E. M. Cass then started a small store which he operated four years.
In 1874 Louis Mohlis opened a store and shoe repairing shop on Section 32, and in 1877 W. W. Bezold opened a store on section 32.
A grist mill was erected on the east side of the Wapsie on Section 32, by Cornelius Miller in 1876. Around this mill there collected a number of houses, and the place was nicknamed "Smoketown".
A postoffice named Bremer, was established in 1858, with J. H. Yerton as postmaster.
In 1878 August Meier started a blacksmith shop near the Mohlis store and did a good business.
Dayton postoffice was established in 1861, with Burrell Rood as postmaster. He kept the office at his residence, on Section 9. In 1880 it was discontinued.
Last updated 4/4/16
|Return to Pioneer Life Table of Contents||Next|