Strubbe, Alphonse 'Al' Strubbe 1880-1968 and Marie Blauwet
STRUBBE, BLAUWET, CORNILLIE, VANDENBROUCKE
Posted By: Wilma J. Vande Berg - volunteer (email)
Date: 3/27/2022 at 18:12:18
Strubbe, Al 1880-1968 and Marie Blauwet Family
This story was taken from pages 162-163 of the Rock Valley St. Mary’s Catholic Church Book written for the centennial of the church in about 1982(?). The story was transcribed for this BIOS by Beth De Leeuw of the Greater Sioux County Genealogical Society. Some research notes were added.
AL STRUBBE was born March 25, 1880 in Belgium. He was married on October 2, 1907 to MARIE. Marie was born on April 2, 1883 in Belgium also. They farmed for many years in the Rock Valley and Hudson, South Dakota areas and retired in 1964. He died August 12, 1968. She died July 30, 1973. Both are buried in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Rock Valley. They are the parents of five children.
1. OLGA was born April 14, 1908. She married Marshall Sletten. They live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. They had one daughter, Marcia Lee in 1941.
2. ALPHONSO was born April 12, 1913. He married Nadine Boyer in June of 1953 at St. Mary’s. They had two children, Rose Marie born August 16, 1954, and David born September 23, 1955 and died September 29, 1973. He is buried in Edens Cemetery in Hudson, South Dakota.
3. VINCENT was born June 5, 1915. He married Betty Jenkins on October 24, 1944 in St. Mary’s in Wallace, Nebraska. They had four children; Billie Jean, born August 16. 1947, married Ray Berner on February 24, 1968 at St. Mary’s in Rock Valley. They now live in Longment, Colorado. Vicki Ann was born October 1, 1948. She married Gaylen Stukey on February 23, 1980. They live in Pine Bluffs, Wyoming. Mark was born July 22, 1954. He married Susan King on May 2, 1973. They live in Fort Lewis, Washington. James was born January 20, 1958. He married Melanie Torkelson on February 12, 1977. They reside in Hudson, South Dakota.
4. MARION WAS BORN February 12, 1917. She married Arthur Gayer and they live in Inwood, Iowa. They have two children, Lorne, born November 3, 1938, and Sharon, born February 20, 1941.
5. CLARENCE was born December 1, 1928. He and his wife Pauline now live in Indianapolis, Indiana.
RESEARCH NOTES: added by Wilma J. Vande Berg
From a family report on ancestry.com (done by other than submitter)
Alphonse Petrus Strubbe was born 25 Mar 1880 Vissegem, Belguim died 12 Aug 1968 Rock Valley IA . His parents were Leopold Franciscus Strubbe 1844-1900 and Juliana Justine Cornillie 1853-1930.
He married Louisa Maria ‘Marie’ Blauwet born 2 Apr 1883 Lapscheure, Belguim died Jul 1973 Hudson SD. Her parents were Charles Blauwet and Roselie Vandenbroucke.
Children listed were:
1 . Olge Rose Strubbe 1908-1990
2 . Alphonse John Strubbe 1913-1991
3 . Vincent A. Strubbe 1915-1998
4 . Marian F. Strubbe 1917-1985
5. Alice Strubbe 1927
Clarence Joseph Strubbe 1928-2009
OBITUARY OF ALPHONSE STRUBBE
Source: Rock Valley Bee (8-15-1968)
Born: March 25, 1880
Died: August 12, 1968
RITES FOR ALPHONSE STRUBBE
Funeral services for Alphonse P. Strubbe, 88, will be held in St. Mary’s Catholic Church Friday at 10:30 A.M. with the Reverend Richard E. Zenk officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery. The Rosary will be recited Thursday night at 8:00 P.M. at Porter Funeral Home.
Mr. Strubbe died Monday morning at Valley Manor, where he had been a resident for 15 months.
He was born March 25, 1880 in Belgium. He married Marie Blauwet, October 2, 1907 in Marshall, Minnesota and they farmed in the Rock Valley, Hudson area until they retired to Valley Manor. Mr. Strubbe is survived by his wife, Marie; three sons: Alphonse and Vincent of Hudson and Clarence of Indianapolis, Indiana; two daughters, Mrs. Marshall Sletten, Sioux Falls, and Mrs. Arthur Gayer of Inwood. They also raised a foster daughter, Alice Bottomlay of Omaha, Nebraska; nine grandchildren; one great- grandchild. Also one brother, Jerome of Elkton, South Dakota and a sister, Mrs. Pete De Surer of Mineota, Minnesota.
Pallbearers are Jake Gravengood, Merle Solberg, Matthew Bantz and Louis Miller, Clay McNee and Charles Gourley.
Honorary casket bearers are Olaf Lode, Frank McGill, William Serek and Carl Miller.
OBITUARY OF MARIE STRUBBE
Funeral services were held at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Rock Valley August 1 for Mrs. Al Strubbe, 90, of Hawarden, who died at her home July 30 after a brief illness.
Services were conducted by the Rev. Patrick J. Nooney and burial was in the church cemetery.
Mrs. Strubbe, the former Marie Baulwet (Blauwet) was born April 2, 1883, in Belgium. She came to the U.S. and to Marshall, Minn., in 1906. She was married to Al Strubbe October 2, 1907, in Marshall. He died August 12, 1968, in Rock Valley.
The couple farmed in the Hudson, S.D., area until retiring to Rock Valley in 1964.
Survivors include three sons, Alphonse and Vincent, both of Hudson, and Clarence of Indianapolis, Ind.; three daughters, Mrs. Marshall Sletten of Sioux Falls, Mrs. Arthur Gayer of Inwood and Mrs. Alice Bottomley of Tampa, Fla.; a brother, August Blauwet, of Sioux Falls, nine grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
Parents listed as Charles Blauwet (Baulwet) & B. Van Delbruck from the IA 1925 Census Record.
Source: Sioux Center News, August 2, 1973
Source: Hawarden Independent August 16, 1973
A family picture from the St. Mary's church book will follow:
Sioux Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen
Sioux Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.