DeMots, Gerrit Sr. and Evertje Schuurkamp
DEMOTS, SCHUURKAMP, DOPPENBERG
Posted By: Wilma J. Vande Berg (email)
Date: 1/31/2016 at 15:46:01
DeMots, Gerrit and Evertje Schuurkamp
Gerrit DeMots, Sr. 1863-1938 was a nephew of at least three other area pioneers. He was born in Ermelo, Netherlands, to Hendrik De Mots and Elizabeth Doppenberg. On February 2, 1883 he married Evertje Schurkamp 1958-1935. In the spring of 1883 he with his new bride and his brother Jan De Mots came to America.
They first arrived at the home of his aunt, Matje De Mots, Mrs. Jacob Koster, in Sioux Center, who were then living in their new wooden home that was on the location where later Jerry Reisma lived about one block east of the Community Center. They were Gysbertje De Mots Mrs. Gysbert Van Beek, and Tryntje Vande rPol, Mrs. Gysbert ‘Gilbert’ DeMots.
Gerrit’s brother Jan ‘John’ De Mots ended up at Edgerton Minnesota. He married Annie Vanden Bosch and later married Hattie Schut.
Gerrit stayed a short time in Sioux Center at which time he helped his uncle Jacob Koster with establishing his farm. He helped plant a row of cottonwood trees that ran the length of main street, one stately tree survived many hears and was located in the City Park.
Soon after that the young married couple left for Dakota to take out the highly advertised free claims still available in Sioux Dakota, because land was getting expensive here at $5.00 per acre. A drought the second year they homesteaded in Dakota with the poverty that followed caused the family to pack up in a mover wagon with three children; Henry, Gerrit and John and come to farm near Sioux Center. They rented a farm from Mr. Schoep who lived about where Henry Ramaker used to live, at 9th and Main. While they lived in Sioux Center three girls were born into the family Elizabeth (Mrs. Mark Rodenburgh, Cora Mrs. Hubert Muilenburg and Gertrude Mrs. Howard Jelgerhuis.
Gerrit De Mots had an implement shop with Jim Borgman about 1902 for a few years, which was located where the Chevrolet Garage later stood. He was in the implement and auto business in Hull, Iowa and later in Sheldon Iowa.
In 1906 Gerrit and Evertje’s marriage was dissolved and Gerrit returned to the Netherlands and married a second time to Johanna Hilgevoort on July 3, 1912. He came back to Sheldon to live and to this marriage a son Garret De Mots was born. The family moved to Michigan and their son Garret lived in Florida and later in Pueblo CO.
The children of Gerrit De Mots and Evertje Schuurkamp are as follows:
1. Dr. Henry De Mots born December 13, 1883. He came to Sioux Center with his parents who had come back from a Dakota claim. He took a dental course and came to Sioux Center to open a dental office. He married Alice Vander Zee on April 3, 1906. They were the parents of Clifford, Geraldine Haverhals, and Verna DeMots, and Yvonne Halverson.
2. Gerrit De Mots ‘Met’ was born May 4, 1886 in Douglas County South Dakota and at four years of age came to Sioux Center with his parents. He taught school and went to work as a lineman for the telephone company. In 1910 he formed a partnership with Jake De Ruther in the hardward business. He married Elizabeth Jongewaard on August 28, 1913. They were the parents of Jane Eva Boeyink, Ringert ‘Buzz’ De Mots and Arlene Brunsting- Wintersen. Gerrit De mots died Jun 26, 1957.
3. John De Mots was born October 8, 1887. He did not marry, he taught country school for several years. He died June 23, 2968
4. Elizabeth De Mots was born August 3, 1892. She taught school for many years. She married Marcus ‘Mark’ Rodenburg and they had no children. In 1991 she was still living at the Nursing Wing at the local hospital at 98 years old.
5. Coba born Jacoba De Mots married Hubert Muilenburg, she was born May of 1894. They lived at Orange City, and were the parents of Jacob, Evelyn, and Dick Muilenburg.
6. Gerturde De Mots born October of 1898 married Howard Jelgerhuis on 20 June 1921. They had no children.
7. Born to Gerrit De Mots Sr. as an offspring of his second marriage to Johanna Hilgevoort was Garret De Mots born Oct 8, 1914 at Sheldon, Iowa. Garret Married Naomi V. Simpson at Kalamazoo, Michigan on November 12, 1938. Gerrit and his wife Naomi lived lastly at Peublo CO.
The author of this article that was in the Sioux Center Centennial book became a correspondent of Garret De Mots when he lived in Peublo CO, as a result of common genealogical interest and distant family ties to the author’s husband.
Author Wilma J. Vande Berg
Sioux Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen