VanDeBerg, Ralph J. and Ella Kosters
VANDEBERG, KOSTERS, KASTEIN
Posted By: Wilma J. Vande Berg (email)
Date: 1/28/2016 at 09:10:14
Van De Berg, Ralph J. and Altje ‘Ella’ Kosters
Ralph J. and Ella Kosters Van De Berg established their home on the farm that has been homesteaded by his parents, John and Wilhelmina Kastein Van De Berg or (VandeBerg) Their home was the first wooden house built in Welcome Township. (See the story of John and Wilhelmina) Ralph was born on March 12, 1878, on a farm one mile west of Newkirk, Iowa. Ella also known as Alice was born to Hein and Gerdena (Kosters) Kosters on December 15, 1890 at Orange City Iowa. They were married February 13, 1898 and had a family of four sons and three daughters: John, Gerdena, Henry, Wilhelmina, William Ralph, and Dora. Ralph served as a rural school director for Welcome Township.
Deep sorrow came to their family when their daughter Dora, died as the result of a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 23 years. They farmed on the home place until retirement when their children took it over. In 1914, Ralph owned a Buick automobile that failed to start one day while parked at the First Reformed Church ; he traded it for a brand new 1926 Buick, but he never drove it. He told his sons that he had always taken them where necessary and now it was their turn to drive him.
They retired in Sioux Center at 107 4th Ave S.E. Ralph walked regularly to the farms of their children, until his health didn’t allow it. He passed away on March 8, 1955. Ella later live in the Sioux Center Hospital Nursing Wing until she passed away on December 10, 1966.
(For some reason this family used the three part surname Van De Berg instead of Vande Berg)
The children’s families are as follows:
1. John R. Van De Berg was born March 6, 1901 and married Ada Doornink. They were from Sioux Center and the parents of two children, Alice Kuyper and Elmer R. Van De Berg. John passed away in 1983.
2. Gerdena Van De Berg was born August 4, 1904 and married Anthony Van Ravenswaay. There were form Sioux Center and the parents of nine children: Alice Dooyema, Gertrude Hostman, Richard, Ralph, Carol Koedam, Harold, Rena Van Voorst, Anthony, and Mary Zuchlag.
3. Henry R. Van De Berg was born September 26, 1907 and married Della Kroon. They were from Sioux Center and the parents of eight children: Elma Van Roekel, Verna Sanbulte, Harold, Eldora Van Zandbergen, Hendrene Zoet, Ralph H. , Wilmer, and Ardith Wynia.
4. Minnie Van De Berg was born September 29, 1909 and married Henry A. Punt. They were form Sioux Center and the parents of seven children: Donald, Ralph, Arlene Rozeboom, Audrey Groen, Lloyd, Leroy, Henry, and Dorothy Van Briesen.
5. Gerrit William Van De Berg was born May 23, 1913 and married Lavonne Hubers. They were from Sheldon, Iowa, and the parents of nine children: Muriel Schaa, Roger, Howard, Gerri Hayes, Doris, Linda Ossenfort, Michael, Sheila Simenz and Tomas Van De Berg. Gerrit passed away in 1971.
6. Dora Van De Berg was born in 1915 and died at the age of 23 years from a cerebral hemorrhage
7. Ralph R. Van De Berg was born February 19, 1917 and married Hattie Wolfswinkel . They were from Sioux Center and the parents of five children: Harlan, Rosella Vander Weide, Allen, Norma, and Ruth Lyfrogt. Hattie passed away in 1969. In 1982 Ralph married Jennie Cleveringa.
This family story was basically authored by Elma R. Van Roekel and published in the Sioux Center Centennial book of 1991. This story was accompanied by five pictures; wedding picture of Ralph and Ella, a picture of the first wooden barn with windmill built on the old John Vande Berg homestead which later was Ralph’s farm, an aerial picture of the farm, a picture of Ralph and Ella in their senior years, and a picture of the Van De Berg siblings as adults with their mother. The obituaries of many of these family members can be found on our web page at www.iagenweb.org/Sioux go to the obit icon on the left to search.
Sioux Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen