[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Bruns, Harmy (1842-1908)


Posted By: Linda Linn (email)
Date: 3/7/2011 at 10:46:07

LeMars Semi-weekly Sentinel

Death of H. Bruns
Old and Honored Resident Dies After a Very Brief Illness
H. Bruns died at his ome on Elm Hill yesterday morning about two o’clock, after a brief illness of pneumonia. The news of his death was a shock to his friends as they were not even aware that he was sick. Mr. and Mrs. Bruns were visiting their son, James Bruns at Watertown, S.D. last week and Mr. Bruns took cold and was feeling badly on Tuesday. Although feeling far from well he was anxious to get home and insisted on starting for LeMars against the advice of a Watertown physician and the wished of his son. He arrived home on Thursday feeling very ill and was taken to his home and put to bed and a physician called who pronounced that he was suffering from an attack of pneumonia. He grew rapidly worse and passed away early on Monday morning.

Harmy Bruns was sixty five years of age, having been in the city of New York in July 1842 and received his early education in that city. When a boy of fourteen he went to New Haven, Connecticut to learn the trade of watch and clock making and worked at Bridgeport and Forestville. When the war broke out he was one of the first to answer the call for volunteers and enlisted in the Sixteeth Connecticut regiment and served five years in the army, re-ienlisting when the period of his first enlistment was ended. With his regiment he participated in many of the big battles of the war and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant for personal braveryin action and distinguished service. He with others of his regiment was captured and he was confined in Andersonville for a few weeks and then taken to Macon, Ga., where he was imprisoned in a fort for six months. Twice during the war he was made a prisoner by the confederates and twice he effected his escape. After the war he located near Winona, Minn., and married forty two years ago to Emma Kennedy. They lived on a farm near there for twenty two years and then moved to Franklin, Kentucky, where they lived three years. Seventeen years ago they came to Plymouth county and bought a farm in Stanton township, where they lived for five years and then moved into town to make their home. Mr.Bruns was city weighmaster in LeMars for a number of years.

Two children with his devoted wife survive him. They are James Bruns of Watertown, S.D. and Mrs. Frank Gosting of Portland, Oregon.

Harmy Bruns had a wide acquaintance in LeMars and the county and was of most generous disposition, a staunch friends and loyal neighbor. Ever willing to help anyone in distress to the full extent of his ability and means. He was a great reader and deep thinker and had strong personal convictions on the subject of good government and political economy. His home life was ideal, his devotion to his wife and family was almost sublime and all his life he did all in his power to [assure] their happiness and well-being. He was very popular in his home city and many expressions of regret at his death were heard on the streets and around town yesterday. He was a member of Lodge A. F. and A.M., and it was his wish expressed many times in life that when he came to die his brother Masons should conduct the last rites,

The funeral will be held from the home on Elm Hill on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock.

Civil War Record

Plymouth Obituaries maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]