Barr, Harvey D. 1830-1909
Posted By: Linda Ziemann, volunteer (email)
Date: 1/20/2011 at 15:11:59
January 21, 1909
DEATH OF AKRON PIONEER
The death of Harvey D. Barr, at his home here Tuesday morning, January 19,
1909, at about 7 o’clock, marks the passing of one of Akron’s pioneer
residents. He was taken seriously ill about seven weeks ago with bladder
trouble and the development of pneumonia last week hastened the end.
Harvey D. Barr was born at Geneses Flats, New York state, April 24, 1830.
His parents moved to Ohio when he was about four years of age and there he
spent his boyhood days. When about twenty-one years of age, he went to
Wisconsin and took employment in the great pineries of that state. At
Neilsville, Clark county, Wisconsin, was united in marriage with Bede M.
Brown, who has remained his faithful helpmeet and companion during all the
intervening years. They lived there about three and a half years and then
located at Rock Falls, Cerro Gordo county, Iowa. When the call for
volunteers came in this nation’s terrible civil strife, in the early ‘00’s,
he was among the thousands of patriotic young men who responded, to lay down
their lives if need be, to assist in upholding their nation’s honor. He
enlisted in Company B, Thirty-second Iowa volunteer infantry, and saw three
years of active service, being in seven great battles. After receiving his
honorable discharge, he returned to his home and family at Rock Falls, Iowa.
They resided there until about 1869 or 1870, and then came to Plymouth
county. He took a position in what was known as the Big Sioux grist mill,
east of Jefferson, S.D., which was operated by E. W. Sargent and L. N.
Crill, Sr. He remained there until the firm began the erection of a mill on
the site of the present Akron mill, in the spring of 1871. Mr. Barr assisted
in the building operations and, when the mil was completed in the fall, took
a position in it and moved his family here. About the time the mill started,
Mr. Sargent platted the original townsite of Akron (then called
Portlandville), consisting of forty acres. Mr. and Mrs. Barr and family were
thus among the earliest residents and their son, Grant, was the first child
born on the townsite. He worked in the mill here until Messrs. Sargent and
Crill dissolved partnership and then took charge of the old Otis mill near
Chatsworth for a time. In 1882, he homesteaded a quarter section on Broken
Kettle creek, in Liberty township, this county, and after living there seven
years, moved back to Akron, which has since remained the family home. For a
number of years he and his sons engaged in house moving and other heavy team
work here, but nearly ten years ago his eyesight began to fail as the result
of cataract growth and in two or three years he was practically blind, being
just able to distinguish light from darkness. He remained in this deplorable
condition until December 1907, when, through an operation at the famous Drs.
Mayo hospital in Rochester, Minnesota, he and his family were brought great
joy by the restoration of his sight to a large degree. While this came as a
great comfort, it was only about three months after his return home that the
acute bladder trouble developed, and it continued in annoyance thereafter.
Mr. Barr was a man of large heart and congenial disposition, upright in his
dealing with others, and these characteristics won him the lasting
friendship of those who gained his acquaintance. His patriotism never
flagged and he always took an active interest in the affairs of “the boys
who wore the blue.” He was unusually devoted to his family circle and found
delight in the young people about him.
Mr. and Mrs. Barr celebrated their fiftieth or golden wedding anniversary on
November 30, 1906. He lived to the ripe age of 78 years, 8 months and 26
days, and in this long period he gave much of useful service. Besides his
devoted wife, he is survived by seven children—two daughters, Mrs. C. H.
Maxson and Mrs. B. A. Port, of this city; five sons, Major, of Elk Point,
S.D.; Frank of Chatsworth, Iowa; Marion, of Shindler, S.D.; Ora, of
Woonsocket, S.D.; and Grant, of this city, all of whom, with their families,
were present at the funeral. To them, and especially to the wife who has
been of such constant help and comfort to him in his years of affliction, is
extended the sympathy of this community.
Funeral services were held in the Akron M. E. church this (Thursday)
afternoon at 1 o’clock were largely attended, Rev. C. E. Plummer preaching
the sermon. The services in the church and at Riverside Cemetery, where
interment was made, were in charge of James Biddlecome, post G.A.R. and
W.R.C., of which the deceased veteran was a member for many years. Many old
settlers from the surrounding country attended the funeral of the friend
they had so long known and honored.
Plymouth Obituaries maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen
Plymouth Obituaries maintained by Linda Ziemann.