Arcola Farm Heirs
HUMPHREY, FISCHER, REESE, BISBEE, DOIDGE
Posted By: Connie Swearingen- Volunteer (email)
Date: 4/22/2015 at 21:43:28
Monona County, Iowa History
Arcola Farm Heirs, p 96
George and Mary Humphrey Fischer came to Monona County in 1869. They stayed with Mary’s ‘Uncle Reese’ and his family that winter. That farm is still in the Reese family, and is located in Belvedere Township, section 4. The following spring they moved to what is now known as the Lawrence Christensen farm, east of Turin. They farmed there for several years. The farm at that time belonged to Mary’s brother-in-law by name of Charles Bisbee. They then moved east of Castana, to a farm currently owned by Ed Doidge. In the summer of 1878, they moved to the Arcola Farm. The farm name was derived from a town that was laid out and existed for a time on land within the boundaries of the farm.
The land was bought from Thomas Flower. This land is in section 28, Kennebec Township.
George was born July 4, 1844 in Warren, Penn. Mary Louise Humphry was born Dec. 21, 1849, at Beaver Dam, Wis., and married George on May 3, 1868. They had 6 boys and 4 girls.
1) William Andrew, born Aug. 4, 1869. He died at age 12, Sept, 3, 1881, and is buried on the Christensen farm.
2) Lewis Warren, born July 14, 1871. Lewis married Edith Robbins March 27, 1910. He died April 21, 1957, and is buried at Belvedere Cemetery.
3) Alyce Isabell was born Sept. 29, 1873 at the Doidge farm east of Castana. She married James J. Elliott at Arcola Farm Nov. 15, 1899. Died Mar. 2, 1940. Buried Belvedere Cemetery.
4) Edith Maybell, born Sept. 29, 1875, at Castana, and died Nov. 8, 1945. Buried Belvedere Cemetery.
5) George Alvin, born Nov. 29, 1877, at Castana. Died Dec. 12, 1881. Buried on Christensen farm.
6) Charles Raymond, born Jan. 25, 1880 at Arcola Farm. Married to Naomi Drennan Aug. 29, 1923. Died Sept. 8, 1955 at Des Moines, IA. Buried Masonic Cemetery, Des Moines, IA.
7) Mary Louise, born May 26, 1882 at Arcola farm. Died Aug 12, 1886. Buried on the Christensen farm.
8) Dorothy Ann, born Mar. 16, 1885, at Arcola farm. Married Walter Scott Whitlock Jan. 12, 1933. Died Nov. 27, 1957. . Buried Belvedere Cemetery.
9) Walter Alfred, born April 3, 1888, at Arcola farm. Married Lillian Irwin at Vermillion, S.D. Jan. 17, 1914. Died Dec. 2, 1971. Buried Belvedere Cemetery.
10)Chester Arthur, born Dec. 21, 1891 at Arcola farm. Married Marian Rose Apr 26, 1919, died, buried Cleveland, Ohio.
After George and Mary died, Walter and Dorothy became the owners of the farm by buying out the other heirs. The Arcola farm was owned jointly by them until Dorothy died. Following her death, her husband, W.S. Whitlock, continued the partnership. After his death, Walter Fischer bought out the heirs and assumed full ownership.
Walter A. and Lillian had one child, Lavon Elaine, born May 18, 1919. Lavon married Harry C. Fox, of Van Buren, Mo. in 1939, at Basin, Wyo. She had two children, Walter Alfred Fox, born Nov. 8, 1940; Deann Fyock born June 2, 1943 at San Francisco, Calif.
Walter Alfred Fox married Faye Louise Byriel, of Hamlin, IA. The fifth generation to live on this farm are Chere Dee and Walter A (Bo) Jr. The farm name was recorded Oct. 19, 1917. The farm originated as a land grant to Joseph Jones, teamster in the War of 1812, for services rendered: Signed: ‘James Buchanan’ President U.S.A., 2nd July 1860. Submitted by Walt Fox.
Monona Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen