Stephen R. AKES (abt. 1823 - 1908) Family info
AKES, WARREN, SAWYER, CARROLL BROWN, MCKERN, SMITH, BAIN, FRY, SHIVELY, KOHAL, GARDNER, WARNER, HINKLE
Posted By: Joey Stark
Date: 5/6/2011 at 11:29:04
"Jefferson County Records"
by Mary & Orville Prill
Volume 2, Page 213
We are indebted to Mr. Ivan L. FRY, formerly of Jefferson County, now (as of 1962) of Cedar Rapids, whose wife is a gr.gr.granddaughter of Stephen R. AKES and his first wife, Emeline Rosetta MEEKER, for the following information concerning the AKES family:
Stephen R. AKES was born circa 1823 in Kentucky; died 20 May 1908; buried Palestine Cemetery, Leon, Decatur County, Iowa. He was a Baptist minister. By his first marriage he had the following children:
1. Electa Marida AKES, b. 12 Apr 1844; d. 12 Mar 1855.
2. Lydia AKES, b. 1846; d. 1930; m. 1 Oct 1865, George B. WARREN (who was born Henry Co., IA, and died Bedford Co., IA).
3. Amanda AKES, m. ______ SAWYER.
4. Etna AKES, m. ______ CARROLL.
5. Mattie AKES
6. Susan AKES, m. ______ BROWN.
7. William Price AKES, b. 1851; m. Lavisa A. McKERN (born 1849).
8. Granville Henry AKES, b. 1853; d. 27 Mar 1914; m. Hester Ann SMITH (who died 26 Jul 1918).
9. Emma Rosetta AKES, b. 27 Jan 1858; d. 9 May 1938; m. 20 Nov 1875, John Franklin BAIN (13 May 1856 - 6 Nov 1926); both buried Wayland IA; gr-grandparents of Mrs. Ivan L. FRY.
Stephen R. AKES married, 2nd, Sarah Ann SHIVELY, and by this marriage had five more children: (Note: Sarah born Scioto Co. OH)
10. Neoma L. AKES, b. 1860; m. Bent KOHAL.
11. Ida AKES, b. 21 Mar 1862; d. 25 Aug 1902; m. ______ GARDNER.
12. Charles M. AKES, b. 1865; d. 1923; m. Alla WARNER
13. Joseph S. AKES, b. 1867; d. 21 Apr 1887.
14. Benjamin AKES.
The second wife of Stephen R. AKES died 17 Jun 1890 and was buried Palestine Cemetery at Leon. Stephen was married a third time, to a Mrs. HINKLE. No children of 3rd marriage.
*Transcribed for genealogy purposes; I have no relation to the person(s) mentioned.
Jefferson Documents maintained by Joey Stark.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen