ANDERSON, Andrew - 1912 Bio (1849-1903)
ANDERSON, FRAY, SWANSON, HAMMANGSON, HADLEY
Posted By: Debbie Nash (email)
Date: 10/29/2002 at 16:36:00
From the History of Jefferson County - 1912, Volume II
Throughout his life Andrew ANDERSON was one of the most prosperous farmers of Polk township, where he was residing at the time of his death on the 19th of February, 1903, and he was one of the early Swedish settlers of this section. His birth occurred in Rossberry, Sweden, June 23, 1849, his parents being John and Anna Mary ANDERSON. The father, who is an agriculturalist in his native land, came to America when a young man for a year's visit, after which he returned to Sweden, where he lived up to the time of his death.
Andrew ANDERSON began earning his own livelihood very early, his first employment being as a driver for a livery stable in his native town, this being an important business as, in those early days before the installation of railroads, everything was necessarily transported by wagon. After he was fourteen years of age he took up farming, which he carried on for the next five years, at the same time attending school whenever his labors permitted it. Being very ambitious and having heard of the opportunities in the new world, he set out for America with his sister Mary in 1868 and immediately after their arrival in New York came to Polk township, Jefferson county, Iowa, where they located on section 24. For the following two years Mr. ANDERSON accepted employment on the various farms of the neighborhood, although he still made his home with his sister. In 1870 he began his independent career by purchasing one hundred acres on section 22 and later added one hundred and sixty acres, where his widow and son, Grant Clarence, now reside. Meeting with great success in the development and cultivation of this property, he was induced to purchase eighty acres on section 22 and subsequently the one hundred and sixty acres on sections 22 and 23 where his daughter, Mrs. Lilly FRAY, is now living. About thirty years ago Mr. ANDERSON moved to the present homestead and resided there continuously until his death in 1903, at which time he was the owner of about five hundred acres of very valuable and highly developed land. This property is still owned by Mrs. ANDERSON, although, until her son was old enough to assume charge of the place, she rented out the land or was required to hire help to carry on the general farming. The appearance of the farm was greatly improved in 1911, when Mrs. ANDERSON erected a very modern and commodious residence, which is wholly in keeping with the generally improved and well equipped condition of her property. Mr. ANDERSON had been among the early settlers in the county which has proved to be so rich agriculturally and, witnessing its development, he also participated in its improvement and his name appears among those of the men who have rendered their fellowmen substantial and invaluable service.
On the 3d of May, 1883, occurred the marriage of Mr. ANDERSON to Miss Sophia SWANSON, who is a daughter of Isaac and Annie Christina (HAMMANGSON) SWANSON, who were natives of Kisa, Sweden. In his native country Mr. SWANSON carried on agricultural pursuits but subsequently to his marriage, twenty-nine years ago, he removed to America. He came to Polk township, Jefferson county, where he located upon a farm, and the following year Mrs. SWANSON joined her husband. After it was decided to start a settlement where Packwood now stands, Mr. and Mrs. SWANSON removed there, their house being the first built in the town. Although residing in Packwood, Mr. SWANSON carried on farming until the ill health of Mrs. SWANSON necessitated their removal to the home of their daughter, Mrs. ANDERSON, where the mother's death occurred October 27, 1911. To Mr. and Mrs. ANDERSON two children were born: Lilly Josephine Emily, who married Ivan C. Fray, a well known farmer residing on a part of the home place, and who is the mother of two children, Violet Arlene and Alice Iola; and Grant Clarence Gifford, residing with his mother, who is ably managing the home place and also the one hundred and eighty acres given to him by his father. Clarence Anderson is married to Miss Neva E. HADLEY, a daughter of A. D. and Kate L. HADLEY of Richland, Iowa.
In politics Mr. ANDERSON was a republican and had served as school director in his home district for several terms. In religious faith the family have always been members of the Swedish Lutheran church of Packwood, in which they are both active and helpful. He was very highly esteemed by those who came in contact with him in public and private life, for honesty and integrity ever marked his acts.
I am copying this information for the benefit of genealogical research and am not related to said individuals.
Jefferson Biographies maintained by Joey Stark.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen