Maple Grove School, No. 6
MCDOWELL, MILLARD, MERTENS, CARIS, VAN TUYL
Posted By: Pat Ryan White (email)
Date: 1/10/2020 at 20:29:59
MAPLE GROVE NO. 6, TIPPECANOE TOWNSHIP.
Maple Grove No. 6 School was opened in 1874. It was a fairly nice school with a big playground. There were usually 20 to 30 children from kindergarten through eighth grade attending.
Various events at the schoolhouse were: box suppers, singing schools, spelling bee, political meetings, exhibits, and entertainment by the community talent.
Mrs. Ruth McDowell was the last teacher to teach there and soon after that the building was torn down to make room for a corn field.
[Excerpts from a Henry County History article about Denova, Iowa, written by eighth grade students: Maureen Millard, Tim Millard and Lucy Mertens, under the supervision of their teacher, Virginia Caris Van Tuyl. Published in the “Mt. Pleasant News”, January 3, 1969]
Henry Documents maintained by Constance McDaniel Hall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen