MORRISON, Carrie 1872-1942
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/6/2016 at 21:09:02
End Comes For Mrs. Morrison At Moline
Mrs. Carrie Morrison, who spent the larger portion of her life in Grundy Center, died last Saturday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ernest Magnuson, Moline, Ill., following an illness which covered a period of two years. The body was brought to Grundy Center and cared for at the Coffman funeral home. Funeral services were held at the funeral home Monday afternoon. They were conducted by Rev. David Alexander, pastor of the First Baptist church. Burial was by the side of the husband in the Grundy Center cemetery. Five of the pallbearers were nephews of the deceased. They are Eldin Hasbrouck, Floyd Morrison, Ray Morrison, Wayne Morrison, and Charles Baldwin. George Canfield, an old friend of the family, was the sixth casket bearer.
Mrs. Morrison's maiden name was Carrie Ivins. She was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Ivins. She was born at Steamboat Rock, Iowa, April 6th, 1872. A few years later her family moved to Holland, Iowa, where they remained a few years after which they came to Grundy Center. Mrs. Morrison attended school here and later she took up the work of teaching and was employed in this work in Grundy county a number of years before her marriage. She was married to Jacob T. Morrison on June 30, 1897, at Grundy Center. The couple spent the first two years of their marriage in Grundy Center after which they moved to the farm. For several years they resided on a farm a mile and a half west of Grundy Center where their only child and daughter, Thora, was born. Mr. Morrison died in June 1907, eleven weeks after the birth of his daughter.
Following the death of her husband, Mrs. Morrison with her baby left the farm and moved to Grundy Center. She was engaged in the millinery business here several years before receiving a position in the Orphans' Home at Davenport. Four years ago she gave up her work at the Orphans' Home and since that time made her home with her daughter at Moline. Mrs. Morrison was a member of St. John's Methodist church at Davenport.
Surviving are the daughter and two brothers. The brothers are Dr. Harry Ivins, Cedar Rapids, and Dr. C. A. Ivins, West Frankfort, Ill.
--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 5 November 1942, pg 12
Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen