DEBOER, Folkerdina 1909-1912
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 9/21/2015 at 12:22:35
A very sad tragedy occurred at the Louie DeBoer home 1 1/2 miles southwest of Fern last Saturday morning when the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. DeBoer aged two years and 4 months, ate some pills containing poison and died from the effects before medical aid could be secured. The tragedy occurred during the morning hours when Mr. and Mrs. DeBoer were at the barn milking, during the absence of the parents the child climbed upon the table and took from a small shelf a box of pills that had been secured for her last fall from a Waterloo doctor for treatment, the child being allowed only 1/2 a pill once a week, as a dose. It is not exactly known how large a dose the child took, but when the mother returned to the house, she found the child lying on the floor, her body being stiff. Immediately several home remedies were given, which the little one gladly accepted, but all was to no avail, and she died before a physician could arrive. The child had also given some of the pills to a younger child, that was in the room with her and she also was taken very sick, but soon recovered under the doctor's care. Funeral services will be held from the home Tuesday. Rev. Siemsen will officiate. The remains will be laid to rest in the cemetery adjoining the Reformed church. The many friends of the bereaved family extend to them in their great sorrow heartfelt sympathy.
--The Grundy Democrat (Grundy Center, Iowa), 14 March 1912, pg 8
Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen