MEYER, W. H. 1888-1949
MEYER, NEDERHOFF, ACKERMAN
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 1/29/2015 at 17:10:38
W. H. Meyer Rites Saturday
Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon for W. H. Meyer, who died at the hospital at Rochester Wednesday night, February 9th, at 10 o'clock. There was a service at the home at 1:30 and later at the Second Christian Reformed church with Rev. J. H. Rubingh officiating. Burial was in the Reformed church cemetery.
It was one of the largest attended funerals that has been held in the Second Christian Reformed church for a long time. Extra seats had to be provided for the attendants.
Casket bearers were Herman P. Ruter, Emery E. Riekena, Willis Bakker, Clarence Meyer, Clarence Getting and Harry Meyer. Music was by Mrs. Clarence Beecroft, soloist, with Mrs. Ray Toomsen at the piano.
Was in Hospital a Month
Mr. Meyer's health had been failing for several months. He was first taken to the Deaconess hospital at Marshalltown where he was confined ten days for treatment. From there he was taken to Mercy hospital at Rochester where an operation was performed. He was in the Rochester hospital 17 days before the end came.
Mr. Meyer had spent his entire life in this community where he was held in high regard by everyone. While on the farm he was an active member of the Farm Bureau and he served several years as a member of the Wellsburg school board.
He was born July 19, 1888, and was 60 years, 6 months and 26 days old at the time of his death.
Mr. Wiebe H. Meyer, a life time resident of this community, was born July 19, 1888. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Harm S. Meyer and spent his childhood days in the parental home two miles east of the village of Wellsburg. On Feb. 11, 1914, he was joined in holy wedlock with Miss Grace Nederhoff. They established their home on the farm just south of the town of Wellsburg. To this union were born two sons, Harm and Odie Meyer and two daughters, Clara and Gertrude Meyer. Also one child born to them died in infancy. On May 14, 1924, in the Providence of God his helpmate and companion for some 10 years was taken from him by death.
In the year 1925, on July 20th, Mr. Meyer was married to Mrs. Nettie Ackerman who shared with him the joys and activities of a busy family life. Two children born to them passed away in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer resided on the farm until the year 1941 when they moved to their new home in the village of Wellsburg. He continued to be active in many farm duties and activities as well as being representative for the Archer Oil Co.
Mr. Meyer was a respected member of the community and a warm friend of those who knew him. He was a devoted husband and father with a genuine interest in their well being and activities. He too shared in many burdens of life which he bore cheerfully. His last days of suffering were patiently borne with out complaint.
Mr. Meyer was a member in full communion of the Second Christian Reformed Church of Wellsburg. He was active in her interests and faithfully participated in her fellowship. He faithfully served the congregation for some eight years as elder in which work he was respected. He was an active member of the Men's Volunteer Club and in the past year had served as its President. Furthermore he was interested in community affairs and for some eighteen years had served as a member of the local school board.
He was preceded in death by his father, Mr. Harm S. Meyer, his first wife, Mrs. Grace Meyer, his brother, George Meyer, and sister, Mrs. Gus Siefken, and three infant children.
Those who mourn his demise are: his widow, Mrs. Nettie Meyer, his two sons, Mr. Harm Meyer and Mr. Odie Meyer, his two daughters, Mrs. Milton DeNeui and Mrs. John Hoodjer, his four stepchildren, Mrs. William Deters, Mrs. George Eckhoff, Mr. Lawrence Ackerman and Mr. Lewis Ackerman, also his aged mother, Mrs. Claske Meyer, his four brothers, Mr. Siebe Meyer, Mr. Edward Meyer, Mr. Harm Meyer and Mr. Lubert Meyer, and one sister, Mrs. Fred Getting. Besides these there are the five grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren who lovingly remember him today.
--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 17 February 1949, pg 20
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen