R. W. Sayre
SAYRE, NORMAN, MOSER
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/17/2011 at 08:40:25
R. W. SAYRE is one of Grundy County’s officers, for he is now serving in the position of Treasurer with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. He makes his home in Grundy Centre, and is one of its leading citizens. A native of Henry County, Ill., he was born September 17, 1852, and is a son of Solmon B. Sayre. The father was born in Ogle County, Ohio, there grew to manhood, and afterward accompanied his parents to Rock Island County, Ill., where he spent a few years. In Mercer County he married Paulina J., daughter of Charles Norman. The latter and his brother-in-law were the first settlers of Richland Grove, Mercer County.
In 1851 S. B. Sayre went to Henry County, Ill., where he secured wild land and began the development of a farm, upon which he continued to make his home until 1866, when he came to Grundy County, locating on section 21, Melrose Township, and becoming one of its early settlers. His wife is also living. They were parents of nine children, six of whom yet survive. The father owns a fine farm of four hundred and eighty acres and is now well-to-do. He has served as Supervisor of Grundy County, and is a leading and influential citizen.
Our subject continued in the county of his nativity until fourteen years of age and then accompanied his parents to this state, where he has since made his home. He was educated in the district schools and in Albion Seminary, after which he engaged in teaching one term. As a companion and helpmate on life’s journey he chose Miss Emma R. Moser, daughter of Benjamin F. Moser, who left his home near Youngstown, Ohio, and came to this county in 1867. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Sayre was celebrated March 13, 1878, and unto them have been born three children, as follows, Jesse O., Bennie and Wayne. All are still with their parents.
On attaining his majority, Mr. Sayre began farming for himself on section 29, Melrose Township, Grundy County. Here he purchased and improved a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, which is now under a high state of cultivation. He carried on general farming and stock-raising with good success, for he was enterprising and industrious. He now owns a half-interest in the store of Dodd & Sayre, of Grundy Centre.
Socially Mr. Sayre is a Mason and has taken the Royal Arch degree. The Republican party finds in him an inflexible adherent of its principles, and he has frequently been honored with official positions. For twelve consecutive years he served as Clerk of Melrose Township, and was Township Supervisor for three years. In 1889 he was elected County Treasurer, was re-elected in 1891, and in 1893 was the unanimous choice of the convention for a third nomination and was re-elected by a larger majority than at any previous election. The position is a responsible one, and that he has twice been re-elected indicates not only a faithful performance of duty on the part of Mr. Sayre, but shows the confidence and trust reposed in him. He is also a member of the City Council. Alike true in public and private duties, his career has been one well worthy of emulation and has won for him the good will and high regard of all.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen