[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

James Rugg

RUGG, ALLEN, EAMES, READ, WALKER, WENHAM, FRENCH

Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/16/2011 at 22:06:19

JAMES RUGG. Of the many pioneers of Grundy County, it may be said that though “they rest from their labors, their works do follow them.” After struggles innumerable, after hardships and toil, they have entered into rest. Few residents of this county were so closely identified with its progress during a period covering more than a quarter of a century, as was the subject of this sketch. At a ripe old age, when full of years and honors, he closed his eyes upon the scenes of time, and his mortal remains were laid away in the cemetery at Waterloo, Iowa.

James Rugg was born in Franklin County, Mass., January 28, 1815, and was the son of Daniel and Esther (Allen) rug, the former of whom was a native of Massachusetts, and a descendant of an old New England family. The father of our subject was a stonemason by trade, and while following that vocation also owned and operated a small farm. He died when forty-one years of age from the effects of a cancer. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Reuben Rugg, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and lived to a ripe old age.

Our subject received his education in the select schools of Massachusetts, and he was deprived of the care of his father when a lad of twelve years. His brothers and sisters were Diadama, Caroline, Cynthia, Daniel, John, Esther, Martha and Sarah. Daniel and Martha are the only members of the family who survive. Our subject was reared to man’s estate on his father’s farm, and when old enough assumed the management of the homestead, which he later purchased. When twenty-four years of age he was married, May 22, 1838, to Miss Anna M., daughter of Jasen and Catherine (Eames) Read. Mrs. Rugg was a native of Windham County, Vt., while her parents were born in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, respectively. By her union with our subject were born eight children: Ellen M., Charles P., Marshall A., John B., Alexander P., Frank L., George H. and Katie. Alexander P., Frank L. and Ellen M. are deceased.

James Rugg remained in his native state until coming to Iowa, in 1857, at which time he located in Waterloo, Black Hawk County. There he rented and farmed land until the spring of 1865, when he came to Grundy County and purchased a home, where his family still resides. His first possessions in this county included five hundred and eighty acres of unbroken prairie land. Upon this place he conducted farming and stock-raising until his demise, April 27, 1883. He was a man of accurate judgment and firm convictions, and his wealth was acquired, not through the aid of extraneous circumstances, but as the results of energy, industry and discretion. At his death he left a vast estate of nine hundred and sixty acres, which is one of the largest improved farms in the state.

In his political relations, Mr. Rugg was a strong supporter of the Republican party. Since his decease, the home farm has been purchased by his two sons, Charles P. and John B., and their mother makes her home with them. The sons make a specialty of stock-raising, and ship cattle to various markets. John B. was married to Miss Hattie Walker, who at her death, on the 20th of May, 1879, had become the mother of two children, Walter and Clarence. The elder child is also deceased. Mr. Rugg later married a sister of his first wife, Miss Clara Walker, who died in December, 1885. Charles P. Rugg, the second child of our subject, was married in 1871 to Miss Emma, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Wenham) French, natives of England. Their union has been blessed by the birth of three children, Roger, Alice and Harold.

Source:
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
1894


 

Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]