Perry M. Robinson
ROBINSON, SMITH, BOOTH
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 11/16/2011 at 20:41:55
PERRY M. ROBINSON resides on the northwest quarter of section 10, Palermo Township, Grundy County, where he owns a good farm. He is recognized as one of the representative citizens of this community, and the record of his life is as follows: A native of the Empire State, he was born in Fayette, Seneca County, on the 25th of April, 1843. His parents, Andrew and Affa (Smith) Robinson, were also natives of New York. In 1855 they left the east, and emigrating westward, settled in Rock Creek Township, Carroll County, Ill., where the father of our subject purchased land from the Government. It was in its primitive condition, and he transformed the raw tract into rich and fertile fields, making it one of the finest farms of the neighborhood. He was numbered among the early settlers of Carroll County, and there continued to reside until called to the home beyond, in the winter of 1891. His widow is still living in that county. This worthy couple had a family of nine children, eight of whom grew to mature years, while four sons and two daughters are yet living. Perry, however, is the only resident of Grundy County. The father became one of the substantial farmers of Carroll County, and left his family three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land. In politics he was a Republican, and warmly advocated the principles of that party.
Mr. Robinson whose name heads this record came to the west when a lad of twelve years, and was reared in Illinois. On the 16th of October, 1863, he wedded Mary E. Booth, daughter of Robert Booth, of Carroll County, Ill. Her father came to Iowa in 1863, and settled in Palermo Township, Grundy County, but after renting land for a year he bought a farm in Melrose County, upon which he made his home until his death, which occurred in January, 1888. His wife passed away in June, 1890. Their son Jesse still occupies the old homestead, but Joseph is now the owner. Another son, Alfred, was for three years a soldier in the late war.
The year 1866 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Robinson in Iowa. He located first in Marshall County, but after nine months removed to Grundy County, and took up his residence on section 11, Palermo Township, where he lived for six years. He then removed to a farm two and a-half miles northeast of Grundy Centre, which he cultivated for four years, after which he located upon the farm which has since been his home. It was then but partially improved, and the present fine appearance of the place is due to the enterprise and labor of the owner. The farm comprises one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land. It is well drained, and is supplied with good water and the various improvements found upon the model farm. The home is a comfortable farm residence, which was erected in 1891.
Mr. Robinson makes a specialty of stock-raising, breeding Short-horn cattle. He has also a fine Wilkes stallion, which took the premium at the county fair. Since attaining to manís estate, Mr. Robinson has been a supporter of the Republican party, and takes a warm interest in its growth and success, but has never been an aspirant for political honors. He and his wife and son are faithful members of the Baptist Church. They have one son, Jesse S., and the family is widely and favorably known in this community.
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, Iowa
Grundy Biographies maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen